RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats! Do you recall which schools do this, by chance?
On my phone and can't seem to find it on a quick glance. But check out the student veterans of America website. They've got a map with each States residency rules and what kind of loopholes they have for vets.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Lifting :biglove::biglove:

The snatch is a really difficult movement so congrats on getting it. I'm much better at power snatches as my mobility is not always great for getting to a full squat following it. I haven't pushed myself with it because of my rotator cuff issues. Really hoping I can start working on it more soon.
Thanks! It's seriously so fun! I'm really jealous of everyone that makes it so easy though... I still have a problem getting the full extension and yet keeping the bar close to me before I bring it overhead. But that just means I get to practice more!

I kind of, sort of stumbled onto a PhD opportunity and I was officially approved to do a DVM/PhD!

Reactions: 28 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! It's seriously so fun! I'm really jealous of everyone that makes it so easy though... I still have a problem getting the full extension and yet keeping the bar close to me before I bring it overhead. But that just means I get to practice more!

I have issues with not getting the full extension as well on my cleans so I'm currently stuck at how much weight I can get off the ground and under. If I was confident about my squat cleans I could probably do it but I don't exactly want to drop the weight on myself. Another area I'm currently working on.

My dad called and awoke me at 10am (before you go thinking wow nice to sleep that late, i fell asleep at 5 and am working overnight and swing shifts :p). My family NEVER calls. They text, email, smoke signal, whatever, but they don't call. If they call, someone is dying or dead. So you can imagine I was a bit panicked. However, he was just calling to talk about tax forms, and tell me they would put money towards grad school fees. <3 My parents are great - though I could have avoided the adrenaline rush haha

Pleasant surprise, no more Ochem lab class! We were supposed to have one last lab today followed by a final "lecture" next week, but apparently they decided that last lab wasn't really necessary so they just released us and will hold a make-up lab next week for anyone who had an unexcused absence. I was excused for that flooding day last month so I'm good there. I had to wake up early to shower and get ready for that though :p

Reactions: 1 users
Well, I had a moderately lengthy response written until the emergency line rang and it got deleted. Current rave: it was an owner wanting to visit an inpatient.

Sad rave: the pet cremation place delivered my rabbit's ashes today at no additional cost. That was nice.

Reactions: 4 users
We spent a day at our large animal facilities today, and I felt really comfortable and was able to answer a lot of questions. It gives me hope that I'm one of those people that may not excel during the didactic years, but will do well in clinics. I also have pretty much zero LA experience so it was nice to feel so comfort around them.

Reactions: 2 users
*drools* I emailed a neuro prof. about spending my summer research program with him at his lab, and he replied with a 5 paragraph email about how he'd love to have me (In part because my program comes with it's own funding). Anyhow he does pug spinal disease, I can't even express how right up my alley of interest that is. So excited if this works out!!

Members don't see this ad :)
:soexcited:Half an hour until I'm done with this rotation from hell... And the horrible supervisor just left the building! :soexcited:

hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
I am hungry and I am making a pizza. That's rave worthy, right? Right?!

Reactions: 7 users
I've been in a really grumpy unhappy intolerable funk for a couple weeks. Roomie and SO told me not to plan anything for today...

Impromptu Busch Gardens trip!

diZcwkA.gif

I can't be unhappy on a roller coaster. :D And it's not too busy so the lines are super tolerable!

Reactions: 18 users
Think I finally found housing for my internship year. 3br apartment in a nice residential area in east providence. I'll have two non vet roommates which will probably be nice for a change. Rent is $580/month. Only downside is the lease doesn't start until July 1st and my internship starts June 20th so I'd have to find something in the meantime.

I did also look at a cozy 1br within my budget that is fairly close to the 3br apartment. Not quite as nice of an area but probably still nicer than where I live in Philly.

So I get a three day weekend every six weeks or so and this is it. I have had the most wonderful, relaxing three days since, well, six weeks ago :laugh: Except six weeks ago it was cold and snowy and miserable and this weekend is literally the most perfect weather imaginable. Huzz and I have been out in the yard with the puppy pretty much the entire time - we had a bonfire with delicious hard cider on Friday night, finalized my chicken coop/run yesterday and put the chickens out and have spent today putzing around fixing the fence, planting flowers and getting stuff done inside. Now I'm sitting on the couch, exhausted in a good way, deciding what sorts of things I'll cook for the week. I work back to back weekends again these next two weeks but then we leave for vacation :hardy:

This post is useless without pics!

Yeah I guess you're right. Here ya go. :) Edit: I just notice how different her coat look in these two pictures. Gotta love chow coats! She's a chow/lab mix, but some 2nd years think she has some corgi due to her stubby wittle legs. :3

stRAHjG.jpg
6zZVqwE.jpg

Reactions: 15 users
I made cake yesterday. I suspect that I won't be eating it in moderation.

Reactions: 5 users
Today was the last day of my 8-week 5k training program and I totally ran 5k without stopping. Every time I've tried to pick up running in the past I always fall short of the goal so I'm pretty pleased with myself.

Now to find a race I like....preferably with zombies.

Reactions: 5 users
Today was the last day of my 8-week 5k training program and I totally ran 5k without stopping. Every time I've tried to pick up running in the past I always fall short of the goal so I'm pretty pleased with myself.

Now to find a race I like....preferably with zombies.
Did you happen to do the zombies, run! 5k training program?

Ugh, I love Zombies Run! I'm embarrassingly emotionally attached to Sam.
I did the 5k training and then I restarted season 1 (couldn't remember where I left off last year on my old phone) so I'm not very far in, but I love it. It's so motivating. I did the virtual race this year :D

I did the 5k training and then I restarted season 1 (couldn't remember where I left off last year on my old phone) so I'm not very far in, but I love it. It's so motivating. I did the virtual race this year :D
I started with the 5k then worked my way well into s3 through vet school... before starting clinics and becoming a lazy bum of course. Actually just thought about it and re-downloaded it to the new phone a couple days ago. Such a great world. Need to get caught back up. :D

I did the 5K zombie training this past summer, it was great :D Ran my first 5K in October, then clinics started... didn't run for 5 months, now starting to run again. Did another 5k last weekend.

Ugh, I love Zombies Run! I'm embarrassingly emotionally attached to Sam.
I was just thinking this morning about how I really, really need to lose some weight (I don't look obese, but I am considering my height -- could probably stand to lose ~50 lbs) and how I should probably start soon seeing as it's going to be harder to find time to adjust to a new routine while I'm also adjusting to vet school itself.

I, too, would like more details on this Zombies Run, please.

I was just thinking this morning about how I really, really need to lose some weight (I don't look obese, but I am considering my height -- could probably stand to lose ~50 lbs) and how I should probably start soon seeing as it's going to be harder to find time to adjust to a new routine while I'm also adjusting to vet school itself.

I, too, would like more details on this Zombies Run, please.

This was my thought, too. Decided it's better to be healthy/in shape before all the stress of school starts. I started seriously dieting/exercising and I've lost 35 pounds since the end of January.

Zombies run helps me with that since I find it an enjoyable way to run 3-4/week. There are two programs: zombies, run! And zombies 5k.

They both take place in the same post apocalyptic universe; zombie risings have destroyed the world as we know it and you're trying to survive. You as a 'runner' in the game complete missions and complete objectives that help the town you live in survive. Dialogue is spliced in between songs on your play list and you can even activate zombie chases that you have to outrun.

The overall plot narrative is wonderful and the characters are thoroughly enjoyable. You don't have to run, either. Any pace will work.

Reactions: 3 users
It's an app that basically plays a story while you run where you are a runner for a settlement during the zombie apocalypse (set in england).

Edit: Ninja'd with a much better description

What is this?! Sounds like something I may have to start this summer when I'm home...
They answered the question better than I could, but yes, it's an app for android/iOS that drops you as a "runner" gathering supplies and completing missions in a fictional zombie apocalypse. I used the c25K one and main app, went from zero running ability to doing a half (slowly but successfully) during didactic part of school.

It's a really fun plot, a good amount of variety in your "missions" and the characters are quite memorable. I think it was partially the test-induced sleep deprivation I was running through, but I distinctly remember breaking into tears at a particular plot point in s2, if that tells you how involved I got in it, lol. There's a lot of content available now, too, with race missions and training plans and whatnot.

Reactions: 2 users
Wife and I have officially received $184,000 in scholarships for med and vet school. On cloud 9. Still going to be about $250k in the hole (combined) after graduation, but since we'll both be working (with her making a hell of a lot more money than me) I'm starting to think this will be manageable!

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
They answered the question better than I could, but yes, it's an app for android/iOS that drops you as a "runner" gathering supplies and completing missions in a fictional zombie apocalypse. I used the c25K one and main app, went from zero running ability to doing a half (slowly but successfully) during didactic part of school.

It's a really fun plot, a good amount of variety in your "missions" and the characters are quite memorable. I think it was partially the test-induced sleep deprivation I was running through, but I distinctly remember breaking into tears at a particular plot point in s2, if that tells you how involved I got in it, lol. There's a lot of content available now, too, with race missions and training plans and whatnot.

Oh my gosh... Yeah might have to take this up this summer!

I seriously just got back from week... 5 day 2 of the ZombiesRun 5k trainer. My favorite part of the program and probably the thing that keeps me running is that the program is a story AND your coach. I love running alone, but having Dr. Myers and Sam in my ears telling me that I'm doing well, that it's okay to take breaks, that they're thankful for my help in Able.
That kind of stuff keeps me running.

This sounds fun. I might try to take up running (lol...if you guys knew me, you'd know how absurd that sounds coming from me) this summer because I can't really do much else.

I need to start running again...and this zombie app sounds fantastic

The 5k trainer is free, I forgot how much the main app is. But it's definitely been a worthwhile investment

Yeah the regular app used to be $5 or something, if you got it before they started their subscription model you get grandfathered in for the first 3 seasons withough additional charges. Now the app itself is free (I think) but you have to upgrade to pro (subscription) to access everything.

I get bad shin splints. I like hiking though.

Have you gone to a running store where they actually assess where you put the bulk of your weight when you run? Doing so, helped me find the right type of shoes for me to wear and I no longer get shin splints unless the my running shoes are old.