RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Have you gone to a running store where they actually assess where you put the bulk of your weight when you run? Doing so, helped me find the right type of shoes for me to wear and I no longer get shin splints unless the my running shoes are old.
no, I probably would benefit though. I've not bothered to address it since my early 20's. Maybe tech has caught up with my bad form. lol

Members don't see this ad.

no, I probably would benefit though. I've not bothered to address it since my early 20's. Maybe tech has caught up with my bad form. lol

It seriously made a world of a difference to me as I found out I overpronate. The one year I did track, I got such horrible shin splints that I'd run my race and then begin crying immediately afterwards because it was brutally painful to walk.

I get bad shin splints. I like hiking though.
I always feel like a crazy anti-vax person or something when I talk about it, but I also used to get really bad shin splints and switching to minimal shoes totally stopped it. Made me a bit slower immediately, but when there's almost nothing between your foot and the ground you really have to pay attention to the way your feet land and can't smash down on your knees the same way "normal" running shoes let me.

You should probably take the less woo-y way Orca suggested though, lol. Or just hike, that's fun too. :D

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I always feel like a crazy anti-vax person or something when I talk about it, but I also used to get really bad shin splints and switching to minimal shoes totally stopped it. Made me a bit slower immediately, but when there's almost nothing between your foot and the ground you really have to pay attention to the way your feet land and can't smash down on your knees the same way "normal" running shoes let me.

You should probably take the less woo-y way Orca suggested though, lol. Or just hike, that's fun too. :D

There's probably some truth in this too. I run in fairly flat shoes for CrossFit (not minimalist but made for crosstraining) and didn't have any issues and actually started having mild issues when I immediately started running in my running shoes. I'm not sure if I just got used to running in those (for short distances -- no more than 1 mile at a time) or if by lifting in shoes with a different conformation shift the way my muscles developed, etc.

One of the 2 cats is feeling better and acting normally again. She's been a lap kitty pretty much all night.

At least the other stopped vomiting for now. Still waiting on some results but treating symptomatically. Sometimes, it's good to be the practice owner. Damn cats would have made it difficult to get them both well without care credit otherwise.

I checked my student loan balance last night because I'm going to scale back the payments. The original plan was about $750 a month for 10 years. I've been doing $900 a month to make it go away faster. Well, now I need to free up some money (house, horse, etc). I logged on to reduce my payment and found out the minimum payment is actually $550. Woot. That frees up way more money.

Reactions: 4 users
We got a fourth roommate on our house! That makes the rent $300 less than the average CoL. If we can keep the house full for four years that keeps my rent expenses $3000 less than I planned them!

1. I could cry. I got a high B on my midterm and did really well on all of the sections. I wasn't expecting that at all, at least for anatomy. I thought I was bombing but I guess I knew more than I thought.

2. I got my cat squeezed in to see a paw surgeon next week. I'm looking forward to this and I really hope I can make him more comfortable.

3. My rabbit seems to be his old self.

4. My sister really liked her baby shower and it went well. My favorite part was my crafts activity of laying out plain bibs/onesies/diapers for people to decorate. We ended up getting some seriously cute ones!

Reactions: 4 users
Boyfriend and I finally found a house! Hopefully the application process goes smoothly. Can't wait to finally be with him again!

Reactions: 6 users
I have tickets to the Welcome to Night Vale show tonight!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Major shout out to one of the first years doing admissions tours at OSU today.

At the end of the tour while we were chatting she said to me "don't worry too much about the admissions process. I know it seems stressful, but you'll get in."

She totally didn't know me, but that encouraging little comment meant a lot. :)

So my iPod doesn't track distances well, and in pretty sure I escaped a few zombie attacks just by walking :oops:
...can you send that my way? I generally run trails with pretty spotty GPS signal. I can haul my ass off (definitely faster than it requires) and still get caught a ton of the time.

...can you send that my way? I generally run trails with pretty spotty GPS signal. I can haul my ass off (definitely faster than it requires) and still get caught a ton of the time.
I think it's because my iPod doesn't have a gps, or data. It's wifi only.

Oh no. That app is terrible. *cue flashbacks of me screaming about zombie attacks while sprinting down the road*

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Ha! I have the free version of the regular app and haven't actually used it because the main trail I run on is really woodsy. I'm jumpy enough as it is out there, so that would totally happen to me haha

My wonderfully sweet former boss picked up a few motivational cards and a key chain for the vet school I'll be attending, put it all in a card with a note saying that she hopes I'm doing well and is excited for me to graduate, and mailed it to me. I feel so special! :biglove:

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
OMG the chases kill me
The chases are the worst.

Ha! I have the free version of the regular app and haven't actually used it because the main trail I run on is really woodsy. I'm jumpy enough as it is out there, so that would totally happen to me haha
I sometimes forget what I'm doing when I'm running and all of a sudden I hear the zombies in my ear and I'm like what the **** is going on?!?!?

I sometimes forget what I'm doing when I'm running and all of a sudden I hear the zombies in my ear and I'm like what the **** is going on?!?!?

So up at school I used to run in the national park like 5mins from my house and it was awesome. Quiet, private, beautiful. One of my running songs on my iPod was Maroon 5's "One More Night." If you watch the video he's like a boxer or something, and I must have accidentally gotten the video-version of the song because one day I'm running in the woods and there's the clangclang! of the boxer bell and I seriously about had a heart attack because I though there must be a huge train somehow coming up behind me...good thing there wasn't anyone else around :laugh:

Oh good I thought it was just me. Really sucks when you know you've been bookin it and you still drop half your stuff...

Does anyone know of a biking version of the zombie run app? I absolutely hate running, but like to ride the bike.

Wage increase on my last pay check was on purpose, I got a raise :D Now if only it had happened before I was leaving in less than four months :laugh:

Reactions: 9 users
Wage increase on my last pay check was on purpose, I got a raise :D Now if only it had happened before I was leaving in less than four months :laugh:
Congrats! I got a raise recently too, it was like "Welp, that's great for the 5 paychecks I have left!" haha

kitty patient of mine (with a PCV under 10%) came in for recheck. PCV 37%!!!!

Such a different kitty now. And the owners clearly adore him. I'm so happy he's doing so much better. It's been ~3 months of rechecks and treatment (including a transfusion).

These are the cases that make me love being a vet. Getting a cat on death's door and seeing him trying to figure out a way to escape the exam room.

Reactions: 14 users
So up at school I used to run in the national park like 5mins from my house and it was awesome. Quiet, private, beautiful. One of my running songs on my iPod was Maroon 5's "One More Night." If you watch the video he's like a boxer or something, and I must have accidentally gotten the video-version of the song because one day I'm running in the woods and there's the clangclang! of the boxer bell and I seriously about had a heart attack because I though there must be a huge train somehow coming up behind me...good thing there wasn't anyone else around :laugh:
I just pictured this. :laugh:

My rave: I get the keys to my house tomorrow! :biglove:

Reactions: 5 users
I bench pressed with a barbell for the first time last night! Simultaneously much easier and more difficult than doing the same weight with dumbbells.

Reactions: 2 users
I typically order a 9 lb box of Oxbow hay through school for my pigs which lasts them about a month. For quite a while I consistently disappointed in the quality of the hay I was receiving. Lots of dry/brown pieces with a very straw like quality. Considering my pigs go through the 9lb box in a month, switching to smaller batches wasn't really an option cost wise. So I switched to ordered Orchard Grass which has been fine.

Well, I missed last months order so I was running out of hay and decided to try a new company who I've looked into before but never tried since I got Oxbow at such a great price. Ordered a 10 lb box of Timothy through Amazon from them and the pigs love it! It's all green and nice and fresh. Definitely will order from them again in the future even though it costs me a bit more.

I bench pressed with a barbell for the first time last night! Simultaneously much easier and more difficult than doing the same weight with dumbbells.
I hugely prefer benching with a barbell. I prefer just about every lift with a barbell, actually. I find the balance is easier. And I feel like a badass.

Today is my last day of sitting in a classroom (except the occasional rotation that might be more classroom-focused, but that doesn't count).

Celebratory bonfire tomorrow, White Coat on Saturday, driving to Michigan on Sunday, first day of clinics on Monday.

:soexcited:

Reactions: 13 users
I hugely prefer benching with a barbell. I prefer just about every lift with a barbell, actually. I find the balance is easier. And I feel like a badass.

Me too. I find that a lot of dumbbell work puts a lot of strain on my writs. The one benefit for the dumbbell is that it forces me to be more aware of if I'm favoring one are or the other.

To pull the conversation back to Zombies run!...I had no idea the zombie chases could happen after the mission completion! I've started working on season 1, did a 45 minute run, and really pushed myself the last five minutes of it...and immediately AFTER the mission complete, I get a zombie attack? That's not bloody fair...I about died. :dead:

To pull the conversation back to Zombies run!...I had no idea the zombie chases could happen after the mission completion! I've started working on season 1, did a 45 minute run, and really pushed myself the last five minutes of it...and immediately AFTER the mission complete, I get a zombie attack? That's not bloody fair...I about died. :dead:
I run on trails with lots of hills. I am 100% convinced the app only gives me chases near the top of steep hills. :yeahright: Which is why i get doubly annoyed when I get caught unfairly, ha.

We should make a running thread. I know there was one a couple years back... maybe it will get me off my butt. :p

Reactions: 3 users
I agree. I didn't have accessibility to barbells until recently and it was kind of bumming me out. Definitely feel like more of a badass with it... less of a badass considering I failed a lot of my snatches last night, but you win some, you lose some.

Just got out of my ETS bio major field exam (all bio majors at my undergrad are required to take it). WAY too many botany questions... felt like I completely bombed it... and found out at the end that I scored in the 88th percentile nationally. Wut. How in the world?

I only have one more exam and less then 20 hours until I'm finished my first year of vet school!!! It's been the best albeit most stressful year of my life, but I'm grateful for a break. Also someone referred to my (my class) as phase 2's, it feels like I started school 5 minutes ago, so it's a weird feeling to be referred to as phase 2's!

I just signed my first lease ever and:
  • I can have my cat
  • There's no pet deposit or pet rent
  • It's about two feet from like three major bus stops
  • One block away from the grocery store
  • Utilities are included in my rent
  • The landlord spontaneously decided to drop my rent from $500 to $450 a month, and for Fort Collins that's pretty great for all the things included in the place
  • My future roommate is a really sweet vet student who is super cool

I just adulted so hard today everybody! :highfive:

Reactions: 11 users
Tore my left pec major (precipitated by a shoulder injury and a tight serratus anterior) a few years ago doing barbell bench and have been working the dumbells ever since. I dont feel like I'm able to work my chest and triceps quite as hard with dumbells, but I'm definitely a fan of the fact that a) it doesn't require a spotter and b) it's much healthier for one's shoulders. I obviously love the barbell because squats and deadlifts are my favorite compound lifts, but there are a lot of potential issues with heavy barbell benching :-/

I just signed my first lease ever and:
  • I can have my cat
  • There's no pet deposit or pet rent
  • It's about two feet from like three major bus stops
  • One block away from the grocery store
  • Utilities are included in my rent
  • The landlord spontaneously decided to drop my rent from $500 to $450 a month, and for Fort Collins that's pretty great for all the things included in the place
  • My future roommate is a really sweet vet student who is super cool

I just adulted so hard today everybody! :highfive:
What the heeeck? That's so lucky/great in every aspect! Even cheaper than where I lived in undergrad in Baton Rouge too (especially without a pet deposit)!

Lifted for the first time in a month due to being at NBC, the half marathon and my bike injuries. Took a video of myself since it was various snatch complexes just so I could see my form. I love that I actually have back muscles from PT and that my form doesn't look horrible. My depth is a little shallow and I'm pulling/dropping a tad early but I'll take it considering how weak I am from taking such a long break.

i just ran into our university president and he mentioned that he signed my diploma the other day.

Yep, it's happening! May 6th I will be (temporarily) free! :D

OMG. They re-ran my foster cat's FIV/FELV test and it was NEGATIVE! Way to give me a heart attack... I cried of happiness :')

I seriously feel like that NEVER happens. It's never good news when you want it to be! Soooooo happy!

Reactions: 8 users
Kinda long one! Today I had to attend my scheduled academic advising appointment (at this school, it's mandatory for ALL students to go through this every. single. semester...to be able to schedule...but this is a rave, so I digress)
Anyway, I'd originally planned to just schedule Physics II and ask about the possibility of starting a post-bacc or a Masters (since I've been flapping around taking prereqs for the past 2 years, may as well try to find a way to put my amassed credits towards something bigger, and strengthen my academics in the process). Advisor gave me some basic info and referred me to a higher-up in the wildlife department for more details on grad programs. After some discussion with him, he suggested that a post-bacc in his dept. may not be as relevant/helpful for my goals, and instead introduced me to the head of the Vet Technology program here.

This guy was awesome! He's an Auburn CVM grad, has served on their admissions committee, used to work for the Birmingham Zoo so has heavy background in wildlife research and zoo med. Not only did he discuss my stats, financial concerns, career goals, and all the details of his program, but once we were done he graciously offered to give me a tour of the tech facilities since he had to go over there anyway. This building is brand new (literally opened last semester), and it is NICE. Classroom, teaching and diagnostics labs, kennels, prep and surgery rooms, etc. The program here is unique in that it's particularly focused on large/food animal and wildlife/exotic (wow my 2 main areas of interest), plus lab animal, and has access to resources from the large neighboring ranch and local shelters/animal control.

So...I will be applying to this year's cohort :) (I know it's atypical/unnecessary to pursue tech licensure when the end goal is vet school, but it is different since this is not a separate 2yr tech school but a 4-year bachelors program which will essentially be my post-bacc.) I already have all the first 2 years of gen-ed credits except for accounting which I can take online, so I would be jumping right in to the final semesters of tech/clinical courses. Apparently 2 girls coming out of the program have been accepted to vet schools this year. I'm excited for the prospect because not only could I work on strengthening my GPAs within a rigorous science program, but also gain tons of varied vet experience in the process! My mom was with me on the tour and I think she may be even more excited than I am :p

unrelated but I also witnessed a meteor shooting star a few hours ago. it was cool.

Reactions: 6 users
I just found out that getting a B in biochem is still completely doable. I am so relieved. This semester sure has been rough.

Went on a camping trip last night and watched the meteor shower while Sigur Ros played in the background. Relaxing, and exactly what I needed after this week!