RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The farmers market in Baltimore had green garlic! Couldn't find it anywhere at home. This is a pretty minor rave but one of the dishes I wanted to cook requires it and I didn't want to substitute.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Despite finals looming next week, today is going to be filled with lots of baking and preparation for a gigantic medieval feast with my vet school family before the Game of Thrones premiere tonight. Sooooooooo excited!!! :D

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The farmers market in Baltimore had green garlic! Couldn't find it anywhere at home. This is a pretty minor rave but one of the dishes I wanted to cook requires it and I didn't want to substitute.

Your markets are open already? I think I still have to wait another month for the one I like in frederick

I actually live in Frederick, so it was a bit of a drive to the Baltimore market. It was pretty good, have to say. Parking was a bitch, though. But I reaaally wanted green garlic.

But the farmers market in the United Health parking lot off 15 opens next week! Have you been to that one?

I actually live in Frederick, so it was a bit of a drive to the Baltimore market. It was pretty good, have to say. Parking was a bitch, though. But I reaaally wanted green garlic.

But the farmers market in the United Health parking lot off 15 opens next week! Have you been to that one?
That's the one I like! I thought opening day was late May. Thanks!!

That's the one I like! I thought opening day was late May. Thanks!!

I wouldn't have known myself, but the guy who I bought my green garlic from said they'd be there next Saturday! Hooray for not driving back to Baltimore. And PARKING

So non-rave bit, but this past Tuesday we did another FIV/FeLV test on the stray kitty I rescued last month, and he is still FeLV positive. :( It was more of a faint positive than before, but still there. I may have his blood sent off to see if it is a persistent infection, but I haven't found out yet how expensive that would be. But anyway, the rave part is I've found a couple that still wants to adopt him! I haven't actually met them yet, but they're friends of a super sweet friend of mine, so I trust that they're not shady people. The wife is going to come meet Kitty on Tuesday at the clinic I work at since he's getting neutered that morning. They sound really nice over the Facebook messages we've exchanged, and they've done some reading on FeLV so it sounds like they know what they're getting themselves into. Keep your fingers crossed this works out!! :xf: Kitty has been rather grumpy the last two times I've brought him into the vet, although he's really sweet otherwise, so I'm hoping he's on his best behavior on Tuesday (or at least still drugged enough from his surgery that he doesn't know/care where he's at :p). I'm just so relieved I've found someone still willing to adopt him despite his diagnosis. It was a struggle trying to find a home for him even before I got him tested. I'm grateful to my parents for fostering him the past 6 weeks, but they have two other cats so they have to keep him quarantined, and he meows almost constantly wanting to be let out. :(

Reactions: 2 users
Got my senior pictures taken by a friend yesterday, and I looooove them :love:

Reactions: 4 users
Someone recorded the amazing speech my classmate gave at our white coat ceremony. You should all watch it, it's hilarious.

Edit: @LetItSnow you might get even more giggles out of it than the general population.

Survived helping run my first ever ZEW Wet Lab and I think it went pretty well! I hope all the OOS students had a good time and tell their classmates to join us next year! :X3:

Members don't see this ad :)
So far I am really glad my last rotation is my last rotation. It's super laid back and they let you do as much as you want. Did an entire appointment today essentially on my own from PE to diagnostic plan to discussing the results with the owner, etc. The clinician just did a PE as well and reviewed my plan before presenting it to the owner. I've been having some doubts and been nervous about starting my internship, but I think this rotation is going to help me feel more comfortable since they let us run so much of the show compared to others.

I just successfully defended my undergraduate thesis! Graduation and vet school are finallllllly seeming within reach! :soexcited:

Reactions: 2 users
I found a couple complexes that I like (one was actually suggested to me by @dyachei last year :) ). The apartments are small and not fancy but the reviews are great and the prices are reasonable. I'm on the waiting list for one and I'm going to see about getting on the list for the other. Hopefully one will have an opening for July (which I should find out about next month). The decision to live alone made everything way less stressful :D

Reactions: 10 users
Omg yay for employee discounts. Did $890 worth of stuff for my pets and I paid $120. I so wouldn't be able to afford my munchkins otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 5 users
Omg yay for employee discounts. Did $890 worth of stuff for my pets and I paid $120. I so wouldn't be able to afford my munchkins otherwise.

I am really going to miss my employee discounts when I leave for school.

Reactions: 1 users

I miss that :( I also miss the option to have small payments deducted from each paycheck.

I am getting a free urinalysis and full CBC + chem 27 through school for both of my cats though, so that's exciting! The kicker is getting the urine via cysto...I've never done that before.

Hopefully you'll get a discount at the teaching hospital :)
I will, but I can almost guarantee it won't be as substantial. Free preventative care plus 40% off everything else...almost makes me consider working for the company after school. Almost ;)

I will, but I can almost guarantee it won't be as substantial. Free preventative care plus 40% off everything else...almost makes me consider working for the company after school. Almost ;)
Our's is just 20% off everything. Free nothing except the products we get from pharm companies. Some clinicians are willing to see your pet off the books though if it's just a quick looksee.

Our's is just 20% off everything. Free nothing except the products we get from pharm companies. Some clinicians are willing to see your pet off the books though if it's just a quick looksee.
Yeah from what I've heard ours is about the same.

I miss that :( I also miss the option to have small payments deducted from each paycheck.

I am getting a free urinalysis and full CBC + chem 27 through school for both of my cats though, so that's exciting! The kicker is getting the urine via cysto...I've never done that before.

I hope my school will offer some free services for my pets! I seriously don't know what I would have done without the discount at my clinic. Cystos are one of my favorite things to do, especially if using an ultrasound! Easier than placing catheters IMO!

I hope my school will offer some free services for my pets! I seriously don't know what I would have done without the discount at my clinic. Cystos are one of my favorite things to do, especially if using an ultrasound! Easier than placing catheters IMO!
See, I'm generally okay with getting blood/hitting a vein. We didn't have an ultrasound at any GP I worked in, so the doctor did most of the cystos. Part of my concern is that we were only given one needle/syringe, lol. I know where I can get expired ones, but still.

See, I'm generally okay with getting blood/hitting a vein. We didn't have an ultrasound at any GP I worked in, so the doctor did most of the cystos. Part of my concern is that we were only given one needle/syringe, lol. I know where I can get expired ones, but still.
I love taking blood and placing catheters, but it's hard for me to place on little baby things. Especially teeny tiny kittens :arghh: and I HATE when I hit a valve or something to where it won't feed, because I really, really hate poking more than once. At my practice, we were encouraged to draw blood from the jugular as often as possible (sans heart worm tests), so I have some trouble sometimes drawing from cephalics even though it's easier for most people. I was lucky to work at a pretty new facility, so we had a nice ultrasound that we could use for anything. They even let us use it to explore in our downtime if we wanted. Still, ultrasound is still one of my weakest points. I hope I get much better at being able to see stuff in vet school. Besides the bladder. I can always find that sucker :p

We do jugs for everything except hwt. I can hit a jugular pretty easy, and I love placing catheters and usually don't have trouble, but for some reason cephalic draws for hwt are my Achilles heel. I maybe hit like 1/3 of them.

I don't mind cystos either, except if an animal unknowingly has stones and you hit one. That's a freaky feeling.

We do jugs for everything except hwt. I can hit a jugular pretty easy, and I love placing catheters and usually don't have trouble, but for some reason cephalic draws for hwt are my Achilles heel. I maybe hit like 1/3 of them.

I don't mind cystos either, except if an animal unknowingly has stones and you hit one. That's a freaky feeling.
I've never worked at a clinic where they didn't use jugs for HWTs....what's the reasoning?

I've never worked at a clinic where they didn't use jugs for HWTs....what's the reasoning?

You don't need as much blood as for a CBC or chemistry, and the larva will be present no matter where you get it from. Also, it's easier to hold for a cephalic draw in a lot of cases.

You don't need as much blood as for a CBC or chemistry, and the larva will be present no matter where you get it from. Also, it's easier to hold for a cephalic draw in a lot of cases.
Oh haha, I was thinking there was some sort of medical reason to avoid it, I was confused.

Jug sticks and I are not friends... just never really did them before vet school so they're weird to me. (I did a bunch of stuff with cats so medial saphenous and I are very good friends). While on clinics I've made a point of pulling blood for most patients from jugs whenever I can, but I'm definitely happier in the limbs. Ah well.

Last edited:
Jug sticks and I are not friends... just never really did them before vet school so they're weird to me. (I did a bunch of stuff with cats so medial saphenous and I are very good friends). While on clinics I've made a point of pulling blood for most patients from jugs whenever I can, but I'm definitely happier in the limbs. Ah well.
Same. Jugs are so rolly and I always feel like there's something or other getting in my way. Like neck fat.

Same. Jugs are so rolly and I always feel like there's something or other getting in my way. Like neck fat.
It is so satisfying when you hit it though and you just see blood stream into your syringe. I agree about neck fat though, or tons of excess skin. Bulldogs and pugs are awful to try to get blood off of, especially when they stress themselves out, don't breathe very well, and start to turn purple.

6359020577909076151984414431_huge-tracts-of-land-o.gif

She's got huge......... tracts of land...

Reactions: 6 users
Hopefully you'll get a discount at the teaching hospital :)
We don't get any discounts any more. Pretty infuriating considering pretty much everything is done by students, with the exception of surgery and we're required to drop our pets off ALL day regardless of what's needed, AND we're expensive as is.

I love taking blood and placing catheters, but it's hard for me to place on little baby things. Especially teeny tiny kittens :arghh: and I HATE when I hit a valve or something to where it won't feed, because I really, really hate poking more than once. At my practice, we were encouraged to draw blood from the jugular as often as possible (sans heart worm tests), so I have some trouble sometimes drawing from cephalics even though it's easier for most people. I was lucky to work at a pretty new facility, so we had a nice ultrasound that we could use for anything. They even let us use it to explore in our downtime if we wanted. Still, ultrasound is still one of my weakest points. I hope I get much better at being able to see stuff in vet school. Besides the bladder. I can always find that sucker :p
My school is emphatic in the fact that you must ALWAYS draw from the jug whenever possible. Their reasoning is you want to preserve those cephalics and saphenous(es?) for catheters if the dog ends up presenting for an emergency soon after.

My school is emphatic in the fact that you must ALWAYS draw from the jug whenever possible. Their reasoning is you want to preserve those cephalics and saphenous(es?) for catheters if the dog ends up presenting for an emergency soon after.

Yeah, we always had to do jugular unless there was concerns about clotting. It is funny though because the UK school was about jugular no matter what, even if clotting was a concern where here they freak out if you poke the neck with possible clotting issue. I have doubts about a jugular stick causing massive bleeding if there are clotting issues.

My horse is moving up here on Sunday and officially becoming mine. That's a rave in and of itself. But what's adorable is that my head tech and her daughter are almost as excited about it as I am. :laugh: The daughter wants me to text her when the horse is going to arrive at the barn so she can be there, and insists on my mare getting the stall across from her gelding.

Reactions: 7 users
My whole study group did so good on the exam today, that the people that were failing by a lot were able to pull there grades to Cs. Pouring a glass of wine for me and my roommate to celebrate. Last exam of this terrible IP tomorrow (anatomy, aka done forever after tomorrow), and then we are finally in the best of IP of all of the didactics!

Reactions: 5 users
My whole study group did so good on the exam today, that the people that were failing by a lot were able to pull there grades to Cs. Pouring a glass of wine for me and my roommate to celebrate. Last exam of this terrible IP tomorrow (anatomy, aka done forever after tomorrow), and then we are finally in the best of IP of all of the didactics!
You are soo close to the best IP ever!! (I'm so jealous, while you guys are living it up we'll be drowning in IP 10 :p). The chicken/reptile exam is a blessing, really, so go kick its butt then go bask in the glory that is block 5! :D

I'm in opposite scenario- I'm doing really well, but my two other members of the study group are going to fail... So I feel guilty for being happy.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I found a new (to me) car! Finally, the months long search is over!

To be honest, I went into vet school hoping to make friends, but not expecting to meet people that have really made my time here great so far. I'm incredibly lucky to have met them, and I'm feeling all sappy because two of my friends went out of their way today for me. One tried to draw blood/cysto my two cats (we're going to have to try again...) for me, the other brought me out of a duckling-induced anxiety attack. :love: