RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just finished my last undergrad final EVER! Graduation is tomorrow morning! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Finished my first day of shelter rotation! They planned two spays for me to do today, since it usually takes students most of the day to finish that on their first day. Did the first one in 33 minutes, and the second in 40! Second one had a weird vessel hiding in her subQ fat that just bled everywhere, so it took me a little longer to get that under control. Considering that was only spay #3 and #4 for me, and the previous two took about an hour, I'm feeling pretty darn good about myself right now! :)
Nice! I'm on shelter med for my first rotation too. Just started week 2. My actual spay time is getting pretty quick but it's the suturing that's taking me so long! Dang intradermals...
You guys are making me miss my surgery rotation of last year so badly. I got to do SO many spays and neuters, my first scrotal ablation... Then on my dairy rotation we were dropped off at a dairy and just spayed and neutered all day long. I miss surgery :(

Reactions: 1 user
Momma Ceph came to visit today and bought roomie and I a crockpot :D:biglove:It's the little things.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Had my interview for the vet tech program that I'll be doing as a post-bacc. Accepted! on condition of finishing up my vet shadowing hours and taking accounting online over the summer. Haha

Reactions: 5 users
As a follow up to my "rant" post, I wanted to update to say I got to officially bring my hospitalized dog home today. :) He was hospitalized Wednesday afternoon following acute vomiting that began Tuesday night and inappetence Wednesday morning. The ER clinician allowed him to come home with me last night because he was well hydrated, had not vomited or regurged, and he is quite stressed staying in the hospital, with the plan of returning first thing in the morning and transferring to internal medicine. Through the night, he totally turned the page! Around 11:30 PM he was MUCH brighter and followed me into the kitchen to investigate some bland foods I was cooking for him to send w/ him back to the hospital. He very willingly accepted a few small balls of rice and a few noodles and would have eaten more but we didn't push it. Drastic change from a dog who was so nauseous with an anti-emetic on board that the sight of food turned him into a faucet earlier in the day. I have to rave about how much I enjoyed working with his internal medicine resident today. With full labs that are mostly unremarkable, urinalysis, scoping him, chest and abdominal radiographs, and abd ultrasound, we don't have a reason for the acute vomiting. He has a GI panel out to Texas A&M to look for further intestinal disease. However, we have ruled out a lot of the big scary things, and he's recovering quite quickly for which I am oh so grateful. I admit, I was skeptical about getting pet insurance for my dogs, but I did so after leaving employment as a veterinary technician to become a full time research technician. To be able to say "go forth" knowing 90% of costs would be reimbursed really made this whole ordeal much less of a nightmare than it could have been. Here is a picture of my babe on while he was home with me last night, on an "extended walk" as his doctor put it. :) Back to our night of snuggling...

Attachments

• Wallydo.jpg
    Wallydo.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 67
Reactions: 6 users
So, didn't get both new teeth. But did get a crown on the tooth that could be crowned and extracted the bad tooth! :D Just have to live with stitches for another weekish and the flapper thing until August when I get the implant. Stoked to not have to worry about my teeth falling out of my face.

I'm in such a better place mentally and emotionally than I was this time 2-3 weeks ago. I needed this respite!

I'm not sure if I should put this under rave or rant, but my girlfriend is coming home tomorrow after being gone nearly two months to hike the AT. She had some old injuries that are giving her trouble and a doctor she visited told her she needs to see someone and be off her leg for 2-3 weeks. Not sure what is going to happen after she comes home, it will depend on what the doctor says when she comes back and sees one at the VA hospital. It is just really bittersweet because I want her home SO badly, but this of course is the last reason I want her to be back is for injuring herself. And it was nothing she did; just hiking... old injuries are flaring up. My heart doesn't know whether to be happy or sad.

Starched 315 ass to grass on front squat today! Trying to bump my back squat up to 455 and front squat to 365 before school starts in august; 545 deadlift would also be nice! Sorry about the bro rave...

Starched 315 ass to grass on front squat today! Trying to bump my back squat up to 455 and front squat to 365 before school starts in august; 545 deadlift would also be nice! Sorry about the bro rave...

I just want to really beat my PRs from when I was in high school (so far I've only beaten my power clean). Granted, I don't think they quite practiced ass to grass back (or at least we never went further than parallel) then. I'm probably getting lower at this point and will eventually get there.

Holy moly. And I was proud of my 75 lb squat a couple days ago...

And you should be. One @jcc3sa's a dude, so he's going to lift more. And everyone starts somewhere. Don't get discouraged by others in lifting. When you are around people who do a bunch of it, you'll be surprised at how some excel at one particular movement but have weaker other movements. I for one, suck at anything gymnastic/body weight related. I can bench, split jerk, push press, whatever over 100 lbs (haven't done it recently so I'm unsure of exact weights) but I still can't get a legit pull up. On a good day, I may be able to get a chin up or 2 kipping pull ups.

I also suck at the more explosive movements like the split jerk, snatch, etc because I just can't capture that explosiveness yet. I do find that going heavier helps me as it forces me to move faster, drop under the barbell quicker and I tend to have better form, but you'd think I'd be able to do the movements well at lighter weights too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I ditto what orca said. Anytime you hit a new PR you should be proud! It's called a personal record because it's just that - personal. :) doesn't matter what some other chump is lifting. Wait...

And you should be. One @jcc3sa's a dude, so he's going to lift more. And everyone starts somewhere. Don't get discouraged by others in lifting. When you are around people who do a bunch of it, you'll be surprised at how some excel at one particular movement but have weaker other movements. I for one, suck at anything gymnastic/body weight related. I can bench, split jerk, push press, whatever over 100 lbs (haven't done it recently so I'm unsure of exact weights) but I still can't get a legit pull up. On a good day, I may be able to get a chin up or 2 kipping pull ups.

I also suck at the more explosive movements like the split jerk, snatch, etc because I just can't capture that explosiveness yet. I do find that going heavier helps me as it forces me to move faster, drop under the barbell quicker and I tend to have better form, but you'd think I'd be able to do the movements well at lighter weights too.
I ditto what orca said. Anytime you hit a new PR you should be proud! It's called a personal record because it's just that - personal. :) doesn't matter what some other chump is lifting. Wait...
Thanks guys :) After the last couple days, that was definitely what I needed to hear. Gonna go crush my lifts today!

I don't know if this qualifies as a rave, but I had nothing to do today....so I curled up in bed and binge watched episodes of Drag Race.

I can't really find it in me to regret this life choice.

Reactions: 3 users
I MADE A 90 ON MY CELL BIO FINAL, which means I made a B in the class. Going from having a panic attack in the middle of the semester worried that I wouldn't pass and therefor wouldn't graduate, to making a B... I'd say that's a pretty good end to my undergraduate career! Now only 5 more days 'till graduation :soexcited:

Took the roof off the bf's jeep to go off roading, hiking, and some cliff jumping off the waterfalls today. I'm so going to miss this AZ weather-- you just can't beat these kinds of summer days.

Reactions: 2 users
I just got my grades back for this semester. It was an epic/hellish 20 credits while working 30 hours a week, and I ended up with 6 A's and 2 B's. Usually B's are meh but you know what, I'll take em. :)

For all that huffing and puffing by my calculus instructor about how hard her two day calculus exam is, I got a 102% on it. Which gives me an A in her stupid class and keeps my 4.0 gpa up to graduation. :p

Reactions: 4 users
So I've only been on LinkedIn for like 3 days and just to see what would happen I applied for this volunteer position through there where I'd be teaching kids really simple, non-concentrated stuff about animals and how to care for pets through a virtual classroom. I totally didn't expect anything to come of it but I just got an email offering me the position! I'll research the company more before accepting and scheduling my class but it sounds like an awesome volunteer opportunity!

Got a great eval from a client today. 5/5 on everything and the comment said I'm really nice and will make an awesome vet. :horns:

Reactions: 7 users
It has begun...

2016-05-19.jpg

@StartingoverVet , this thing is twitchy as ****. Hand controls on left; throttle power twist to right, push forward for right rudder, pull for left.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
My cousin had a healthy baby girl today! 7 lbs 10 oz, 20" long, and a head full of hair. :D

Also, my uncle is running in a big marathon this weekend and they ran stories on him in the local news and in the paper. He's a police officer and running in the memory of the old police chief who died in a car wreck last year. I'm really proud of him - he's really just such a great and thoughtful person and I really respect him. He's a great role model.

Reactions: 8 users
The one professor I was worried I would have to repeatedly remind about my LOR actually submitted his last night. I was pretty impressed (and thankful because I only asked for letters from the 3 people I knew would write me the strongest ones).:)

Boyfriend and I went to our first open house yesterday! Loved the home, but it was about 50 feet away from a row of transmission towers and we both agreed we didn't want to deal with that. Our budget and his list of requirements are making things a little hard, so hopefully we have some luck soon. Our area is also experiencing a decline in homes being put on the market, too....some of these homes with potential are being sold within days of being listed :wideyed:

Boyfriend and I went to our first open house yesterday! Loved the home, but it was about 50 feet away from a row of transmission towers and we both agreed we didn't want to deal with that. Our budget and his list of requirements are making things a little hard, so hopefully we have some luck soon. Our area is also experiencing a decline in homes being put on the market, too....some of these homes with potential are being sold within days of being listed :wideyed:
At the same time, you might really not want to live near those towers if they emit any sound or vibration you can perceive.

My hubby and I joked around about a research study that showed incredibly increased stress in both people and animals who lived within a certain radius of high voltage lines as we moved into a house right underneath a set. The study said it had to do with both the constant sound, the buzz and crackle of the lines, and the stray voltage in the air, which you can capture and run your house on if it wasn't so illegal. We thought, meh, no big deal. Moving away, the relief was palpable. The first night away felt like a giant weight lifted off our shoulders. We both commented on it.
9 months out, I still can tell the difference. But maybe the transmission towers put off little to no sound? Maybe it's a more pleasant pitch versus the constant low minor key we had buzzing at our heads?

I hope your wait ends up worth it and you find the BEST place you both have laid eyes on yet! Hopefully it is just a bit longer.

Thank goodness for car insurance that includes roadside assistance and for having cell service where I was camping. I went camping Friday night because I needed a taste of a vacation (even if only 24 hours). Went for a night hike, came back and managed to lock my keys in the trunk. Fortunately, I had already set up camp, so it was an inconvenience, but I wasn't totally screwed. Slept, took a morning hike, then called and they were able to send someone to effectively break into my car to pop my trunk and get my keys out. Took him forever to find me since I was in a bit of a remote area, but I don't know what I would have done otherwise.

At the same time, you might really not want to live near those towers if they emit any sound or vibration you can perceive.

My hubby and I joked around about a research study that showed incredibly increased stress in both people and animals who lived within a certain radius of high voltage lines as we moved into a house right underneath a set. The study said it had to do with both the constant sound, the buzz and crackle of the lines, and the stray voltage in the air, which you can capture and run your house on if it wasn't so illegal. We thought, meh, no big deal. Moving away, the relief was palpable. The first night away felt like a giant weight lifted off our shoulders. We both commented on it.
9 months out, I still can tell the difference. But maybe the transmission towers put off little to no sound? Maybe it's a more pleasant pitch versus the constant low minor key we had buzzing at our heads?

I hope your wait ends up worth it and you find the BEST place you both have laid eyes on yet! Hopefully it is just a bit longer.
Oh exactly. There's the potential leukemia risk, but the noise those towers can make would drive me nuts! I'm pretty sure they were transmission towers...but I don't know these things haha. Not worth the struggle of potentially reselling either...Several other couples who were there at the same time also said "Perfect, until you see those towers."

We're trying, but we haven't seen anything that is 100% perfect since we've been casually looking in January. We're meeting with a realtor this week and have a lot of questions ready, so hopefully he can set us straight (or just my boyfriend....he won't make any sort of compromises on his requirements list, lol). I found what could be the perfect house, but it's $30k over his ideal budget. Sigh. At least we aren't under a time crunch, that takes a lot of pressure out of the situation.

Was about to head in to the clinic to deal with an emergency, when my boss called to say that she's taking over call for the rest of the long weekend. So it's wine and hockey time for me!

I got all of my errands and chores done today (my only day off and my first in weeks). Thought I'd sleep through the day. Yay for small victories!

Got about 30 miles on a motorcycle this weekend :) Considering that's about 28 miles more than I had all last summer when I got my license I'm super pumped about it and hopefully I'll feel up to using one for my commute to school soon.

Signed up for my first 5k today. It's an untimed run, but has both mud and obstacle components. It should be...an experience?

And one of my friends who races all the time is flying out to do it with me, so my first run won't be alone. Good times.

My vacation was fun, but more stressful than relaxing. I'm now finally home with nothing planned for the next two days, a lot of good beer on hand, GoT to get caught up on and two adorably attention-starved kitties to snuggle. Life is pretty good.

e1d1ahy.jpg

Reactions: 9 users
My vacation was fun, but more stressful than relaxing. I'm now finally home with nothing planned for the next two days, a lot of good beer on hand, GoT to get caught up on and two adorably attention-starved kitties to snuggle. Life is pretty good.

e1d1ahy.jpg
I'm watching GoT as I type this!

e1d1ahy.jpg
Grab a box of Kleenex!

e1d1ahy.jpg
Fuuuuuuuuuu I don't like the most recent episode. I won't spoil anything but I cried real tears

Finally got my school email so I can sign up for VIN and binge read all the posts my vets write :D #creeper#sorrynotsorry

Eeeeep! 4 good evals from clients in 2 weeks! That's almost every case I took alone. These aren't evaluations they fill out just for me, they're for their whole experience at the vth and they have to mention me by name in the comments for it to count. I'm feeling pretty good right now!
:biglove:

I'm now officially re-employed with the state. I get to spend my summer and fall in a lab sorting and identifying mosquitoes. It's a temporary gig with no fun benefits like healthcare, but it does pay a wage that will actually allow me to save quite a bit over the coming months. Yay for rebuilding my savings accounts!

Reactions: 7 users
To the astonishment of all of the doctor's estimated timelines, both of my parents are HOME and doing well!!! :love:

Reactions: 31 users
To the astonishment of all of the doctor's estimated timelines, both of my parents are HOME and doing well!!! :love:
Ah! I'm so, so happy to hear this, Ash! That's fantastic! I hope that they keep on recovering and doing well. :)

A minor rave of my own... I just managed to buy all of my VM1 required textbooks for less than $300! Woo! :soexcited: