RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yesterday was a crazy day I totally wasn't expecting. Ended up showing two cows at a show I wasn't even planning on being at. Yeah, it's fun helping out the younger kids, but it doesn't beat doing it yourself. Then when we got back to the farm I got to help pull a breech calf, mom and baby are both doing great.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Leaving my family home this morning and my mother made me a smoothie for the road... texted her and asked what was in it because it was good but quite lime-y.

:hilarious: Apparently we didn't have any juice in the house so she used margarita mix.

I just adore my family.

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Made it to RI! The AirBnb I'm staying in until I can move into my place is super nice. I have not only my own bedroom and bath, but a whole nice little living area with Keurig, mini fridge, micro and toaster. They even have a nice little folder with restaurant recommendation and Uber offer. And they let me bring my pets! Must make sure I don't destroy anything.

Reactions: 1 users
I got a $1500 scholarship through my mom's work that is renewable for next year! Wooo! Even if it's a drop in the bucket, I'm still super excited for 3K.

Reactions: 7 users
I got a $1500 scholarship through my mom's work that is renewable for next year! Wooo! Even if it's a drop in the bucket, I'm still super excited for 3K.
Is she looking to adopt an adult child ? :)

AI'd my Brown Swiss heifer last night. Bought a spare straw just in case, but I'm really hopeful that my sweet girl is gonna get to be a momma! (I'll let you know in 18-23 days... extra days just for paranoia)

We go get a new Nubian milk goat in less than 48 hours to feed the babies (yes, I still owe pictures) and chicks arrive in the mail on the 20th. Most of a nearly 1/3 acre garden is planted. Turkey poults are free ranging with momma nicely and while we have yet to catch a fish in the creek, we have seen them. Sooo awesome!

Oh, and I suppose: this job will be great, as soon as I can talk the pregnant control freak I'm being "trained" by into letting me do enough to show my skills... I really am very excited, but that is very tough when your trainer is hesitant to let go of "her" things enough to let me do more than pass plates back and forth from the incubator. Her physical clock is counting down, so eventually there will be no choice, but until I can convince her it will all be ok... lots of down time spent staring at walls. At least I get payed well either way!

Oh, and yes, I was pregnant last year... I mention it to explain her clock and why she is even more worried about controlling what she can, while she can and being a little emotionally attached in a roller coaster kind of way to the sameness of her day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Had a kitten come in to work the other day that had chewed its own leg off after getting caught in a fence. We were going to amputate it on Monday (earliest we could do it), but weren't comfortable keeping it over the weekend, as vet staff doesn't work on weekends and we wouldn't have been able to monitor her closely or provide strong enough pain medication for her without the vet there, so we debated euthanizing her.

We managed to talk a rescue into taking her at the last minute and she's doing great so far! Really glad to hear, she's a good kitten.

The same rescue also took our sweet clinic cat with a healing broken leg. :D Sad to see her go, but glad she's finally healed enough to be rehomed.

First night with the foster dog was a great success! The cats were confused but seem okay with Franklin as he doesn't react to them at all no matter what they do. Zaius really wanted to play with Frankie and did great on walks with him. I knew Franklin was potty trained and is a good boy so I let him sleep in bed. Apparently he likes to sleep under the covers. I've had a puppy curled up against me all night. I'm so happy it's going well!

Never underestimate the joys of NOT living out of a suitcase. Its so nice to finally be settled somewhere.

Reactions: 3 users
The 27th officially, but we start orentation at 8 on Thursday.

I feel like you've probably answered/explained this before, but why do they start so early?

Today was my 6th day of interning (finally upon my first weekend after the odd starting week schedule), and I got to take home a little present from one of our macaws who practiced his art skills :)
ImageUploadedBySDN1466379895.061471.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
I feel like you've probably answered/explained this before, but why do they start so early?

Today was my 6th day of interning (finally upon my first weekend after the odd starting week schedule), and I got to take home a little present from one of our macaws who practiced his art skills :)
View attachment 205233

I have painting done by one of the juvenile penguins I worked with. :love:
I had one done by one of my favorite penguins, but it accidentally got put into the donation/auction pile. =(

View attachment 205233

MSU is a 2+2 curriculum school. 2 years didactic, 2 years clinics and externships. In order for us to have a summer next year, unlike what Mizzou does (no knock on MU, because it kind of reads like one I know :p), we start early to still accomplish cramming all of the information into less years.

I got to draw blood on some beef cows today and it was pretty awesome. :D It makes me want to never go back to cats and dogs . . . except I like our air conditioned hospital, so never mind.

Reactions: 2 users
Too much AC in my current lab... 60 at the desk and 80 in the warm room. My hands keep turning blue and stiff and I just keep shivering. But I'm used to working in vet clinics that heat up through the day with all the warm panting bodies. Sperm and embryos just don't do that near as much, plus most of them are housed in nitrogen... brrrrr!

I'm ready to go home to my 90 degree house and play with the farm critters at the end of the day!

Survived day 1 of my internship!! Granted it was all paperwork but I feel slightly less nervous.

I also love that they make us do a tech week and do a day with reception. And I wasn't wrong in remembering that I ge t two days off/week!

ETA: Forgot to add that I also don't have to pay for VIN (hospital account) and I already get off tomorrow!

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
I'm getting a dollar raise! :soexcited:

I've been the most senior employee for a year now, and our entire staff (except for doctors and me) is in the process of turning over again. I have a letter all typed up to ask my boss for a raise, but I haven't found the right time to give it to her. My car died today (again) and she told me she had some good news to cheer me up. :D

Reactions: 3 users
Came here without any food. Went to Kroger on a whim and found several things 10 for $10! :)

Reactions: 2 users
I got to draw blood on some beef cows today and it was pretty awesome. :D It makes me want to never go back to cats and dogs . . . except I like our air conditioned hospital, so never mind.
Horse jugulars are my solace when the damn cat veins are eluding me.

And in horse news, mine is sound again!

Reactions: 9 users
Started a new bank account today and when they saw my drivers license and realized I just moved here, they gave me a free kitchen knife set as a welcome! :)

Reactions: 5 users
It's my birthday and I got special surprises this morning (flowers, kit kats, cheeze-its and $10 to treat myself to lunch) from my gf and a cookie cake at work with a cute balloon and its going so well!!! Love birthdays!!! :)))))

I love watching Ninja Warrior. So much inspiration. My cats don't like it though because I whoop and holla and pump my fists and bounce around sharing in the warrior's successes. haha
I really feel like you and I would be great friends lol

50 shades of grey drinking game is an absolutely fantastic decision. I have never felt interested in watching this movie until now.

Eta: Movie was horrendous. Drinking game very well paced. :D

Last edited:
50 shades of grey drinking game is an absolutely fantastic decision. I have never felt interested in watching this movie until now.

Eta: Movie was horrendous. Drinking game very well paced. :D

Beware of the Monty Python and The Holy Grail one. Hammered within like a half hour. And play w/ beer...not liquor.

Last edited:
And my foster dog (who is now with a new foster and doing really well!) is getting adopted next week!! I'm so happy for him. He's a super sweet boy. I found his kong toy that he loved when I had him and mailed it to his current foster mom. Apparently he's been carrying it around/playing with it non-stop.