RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Back from the local convention this weekend. It's a small con, only about 1500 attendees and only in it's second year, but it's just so great to collect with other geeks. I got a ton of photo requests and compliments on my Erza Scarlet cosplay, which I was kind of self conscious about wearing because it's a bit more revealing than I usually go for (reference: http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net...he_Erza.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20100719165613) but I had nothing but great responses.

You looked awesome in every possible way!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
My kitty got spayed today and everything went great! I'm so happy! I was stressing about her all day.

Reactions: 6 users
I need to find more stores with cool Halloween stuff. Spent too much money at Target today but damn, Halloween is my favorite time of year. I fully intend to decorate once October gets here.

Not a rave at all, but today one of my bunnies' blood test came back as positive for E. cuniculi. I've decided that I'm not going to be sad about that. I'm just going to start treatment and keep an eye on her and her little sister. Let her hop around and be her little bunny self. She developed a very slight head tilt a couple weeks ago with nystagmus when I was visiting my parents' house. I've only had these rabbits since August so they're still in that stressful transition period and I'm hoping over the next few months they settle in and get a little less jumpy. Poor baby, Misch. I'm hopeful she'll do well.

At least I've decided on names: the black one is Mitternacht/"Mittens" and the black and white broken is Mischen/"Mischa"

Attachments

• DSC04902.JPG
    DSC04902.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 53
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I need to find more stores with cool Halloween stuff. Spent too much money at Target today but damn, Halloween is my favorite time of year. I fully intend to decorate once October gets here.

Not a rave at all, but today one of my bunnies' blood test came back as positive for E. cuniculi. I've decided that I'm not going to be sad about that. I'm just going to start treatment and keep an eye on her and her little sister. Let her hop around and be her little bunny self. She developed a very slight head tilt a couple weeks ago with nystagmus when I was visiting my parents' house. I've only had these rabbits since August so they're still in that stressful transition period and I'm hoping over the next few months they settle in and get a little less jumpy. Poor baby, Misch. I'm hopeful she'll do well.

At least I've decided on names: the black one is Mitternacht/"Mittens" and the black and white broken is Mischen/"Mischa"
Haha, one of my family dogs is also named Mischa! Cute bun, I love lops. Fingers crossed for her!

I was headed here to rant about how I always write discharges and documents in Word and not uvis except tonight and then my internet crashed and I lost my hard written work late at night, but when they internet fixed itself and I logged back in to my remote connection, everything was still there! Yay!!

My college advisor called up to request an appointment. Turns out they made a mistake with my degree plan. I only need two more classes to graduate!

Reactions: 7 users
Went for acupuncture for the first time today. Won't say I'm hooked but definitely intrigued. Here's hoping to a new option :xf::luck:
I have a cousin who does acupuncture and I worked with some vet acupuncturist this past summer and they were able to explain the science behind it to me. I can definitely be super helpful. My cousin cured an episode of extreme car sickness I had using just one needle. It was amazing. I know it doesn't work that well for everything (and some things it won't help at all) but it can be a really great addition to several therapies.

Oh my goooooooood I'm so excited for my externship next week! I just called the vet to touch bases and he lined up SO MUCH STUFF for me to do while I'm there!

He is the nicest old vet! And him and his wife are letting me stay with them! I'm going to do surgery on a horse! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I have an excite!

Reactions: 8 users
My baby dog is rocking her basic agility class. So proud! She's finally learning to focus like a grown up, and is doing things like the weave poles better than some dogs in the advanced classes. She loves having a "job" and hasn't hesitated at anything yet. Starting to think I'm going to have to put my big girl panties on and take her to some trials, even though I hate competing.

Had a dream about owning lots of happy guinea pigs, and it was the best dream I've had in a while... .

Also, the first counselor apt at the psychiatrist's office went better than I thought it was going to. Here's to learning to cope and living a happier life one step at a time!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Went for acupuncture for the first time today. Won't say I'm hooked but definitely intrigued. Here's hoping to a new option :xf::luck:

Acupuncture is wonderful. I was insanely skeptical in the beginning, but my boss started going for migraines ten years ago and it helped her a lot so she did the veterinary certification. I started going and it's really helped me with TMJ issues.

Reactions: 1 user
Acupuncture is wonderful. I was insanely skeptical in the beginning, but my boss started going for migraines ten years ago and it helped her a lot so she did the veterinary certification. I started going and it's really helped me with TMJ issues.
I'm debating about how frequently to go cause I have no monies. And how long it would take til I felt some improvement.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm debating about how frequently to go cause I have no monies. And how long it would take til I felt some improvement.

I think my third treatment was when I committed to the fan club haha. I feel ya on the no monies. I went a lot when I was having the worst symptoms and then go now when I have flare-ups. My boss who gets the migraines has gone for awhile and she has it worked out that she's able to call when they are bad and she'll get worked in that day.

I'm the food ordering person at work right now, so I'm the one who's most familiar with the diets we keep in stock and what's available to order, etc. There are some questions my coworkers could look up for clients but they just take messages and have me deal with it instead. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I got to work yesterday and there was a message to talk to a client about some different food options. I grabbed our vendor books and looked over some things really quickly before I called her back. I wasn't as familiar with these diets as I am with some of our others, and I felt kind of unhelpful and scatterbrained as I was talking to her. I had to say "I'm not sure, let me look that up . . . " and "Hang on, I need to grab our other book to find that answer . . . " a lot. I needed to check and see what samples we had available, so I had to hang up and call her back. At the end of our conversation she thanked me for being so helpful and so informative, and she said she was really happy that I could help her. It was really unexpected and nice to hear, especially because I felt like I wasn't doing a very good job explaining things. :)

I think my third treatment was when I committed to the fan club haha. I feel ya on the no monies. I went a lot when I was having the worst symptoms and then go now when I have flare-ups. My boss who gets the migraines has gone for awhile and she has it worked out that she's able to call when they are bad and she'll get worked in that day.
Cool, thanks for the info

After ending my overnight on a crappy note, roomies surprised me with beer, ice cream cake and gifts when I woke up from my nap since my bday is tomorrow. Really glad I decided to take the chance and live with complete randos during my internship as it definitely has made me life better and more relaxing.

Reactions: 5 users
After ending my overnight on a crappy note, roomies surprised me with beer, ice cream cake and gifts when I woke up from my nap since my bday is tomorrow. Really glad I decided to take the chance and live with complete randos during my internship as it definitely has made me life better and more relaxing.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! :soexcited::clap::claps::banana::biglove:
(P.S. Today I saw that they haven't updated the surgical principles Lab 2 description since 2013, and your name was still on there)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! :soexcited::clap::claps::banana::biglove:
(P.S. Today I saw that they haven't updated the surgical principles Lab 2 description since 2013, and your name was still on there)

Did the description have what lab groups we were in? That's the only spot I can think of where my name would be on it. And that lab is a vivid memory for me. I was on the scrubbing into surgery part and go the chlorohex scrub in my eye but was terrified to wash my eye cause it was with Dr. Big Shot and was terrified of him. So I suffered and then flushed it after. Looked like I was intermittently crying throughout the rest of the day which I'm sure confused all the other surgeons.

And thanks!

Did the description have what lab groups we were in? That's the only spot I can think of where my name would be on it. And that lab is a vivid memory for me. I was on the scrubbing into surgery part and go the chlorohex scrub in my eye but was terrified to wash my eye cause it was with Dr. Big Shot and was terrified of him. So I suffered and then flushed it after. Looked like I was intermittently crying throughout the rest of the day which I'm sure confused all the other surgeons.

And thanks!
Your name is on the room assignment list! This is for the knot tying lab. I'm kind of surprised that dr was even there for your surgical prep lab. For now I think he's funny, but I'm sure he won't me impressed with me in clinics, so I'm going to try to not let that get to me.

Your name is on the room assignment list! This is for the knot tying lab. I'm kind of surprised that dr was even there for your surgical prep lab. For now I think he's funny, but I'm sure he won't me impressed with me in clinics, so I'm going to try to not let that get to me.

I initially impressed him (got super lucky and literally just happened to read up on something he asked) and then it went downhill fast once we were in surgery together. But I didn't fight back with him or give him much to continue giving my crap, so I think he was less entertained and didn't mess with me much.

I had my first SP (Standardized Patient) encounter today through my PBL class and survived. (I get nervous about those things even though it was obviously a fictional case).

Crazy to think that in 4 weeks I will be in rooms with real clients and real patients!

Reactions: 3 users
I had my first SP (Standardized Patient) encounter today through my PBL class and survived. (I get nervous about those things even though it was obviously a fictional case).

Crazy to think that in 4 weeks I will be in rooms with real clients and real patients!

You are going to be fantastic in clinics! No need to be nervous :)

It's easy to be a student on clinics. You get great at a mildly self-deprecating grin and learning how to say "I will ask the real doctors and get back to you" sixteen different ways. :p

Reactions: 5 users
I initially impressed him (got super lucky and literally just happened to read up on something he asked) and then it went downhill fast once we were in surgery together. But I didn't fight back with him or give him much to continue giving my crap, so I think he was less entertained and didn't mess with me much.

Totally random, but I just noticed that your location says Rhode Island... me too! We both left Penn and moved to Rhode Island, of all places. What are the chances?

I am a little bit of a local block nazi and after convincing my bosses (both older men) that I wasn't a sadist for doing intratesticular blocks, they have been bemused but humoring me with it. The way we do spay/neuters at our clinic is that it's basically whoever is available takes'em, so I've just been swinging by with my needle during prep for all males, including the ones the other doctors ended up neutering.

Today I was caught on the phone during prep on a dog, didn't block him, and one of the other doctors went to do the neuter. A couple mins in there's a yell from the sx suite:

"Hey doc trilt, did you not numb these nuts??"

:rofl:

Apparently in the past month he has gotten used to the dogs' HR and such not responding when he pulled on the testicles and was surprised to see it happen today. I've got a convert! :)

Silly thing to rave about I know, but it makes me happy to know I'm not just running down their bupivicaine for no reason, and making my patients just that much more comfortable. Still a ways to go before I'm truly happy with the way we do anesthesia/analgesia, but a nice step in the right direction.

Reactions: 23 users
I am a little bit of a local block nazi and after convincing my bosses (both older men) that I wasn't a sadist for doing intratesticular blocks, they have been bemused but humoring me with it. The way we do spay/neuters at our clinic is that it's basically whoever is available takes'em, so I've just been swinging by with my needle during prep for all males, including the ones the other doctors ended up neutering.

Today I was caught on the phone during prep on a dog, didn't block him, and one of the other doctors went to do the neuter. A couple mins in there's a yell from the sx suite:

Apparently in the past month he has gotten used to the dogs' HR and such not responding when he pulled on the testicles and was surprised to see it happen today. I've got a convert! :)

Silly thing to rave about I know, but it makes me happy to know I'm not just running down their bupivicaine for no reason, and making my patients just that much more comfortable. Still a ways to go before I'm truly happy with the way we do anesthesia/analgesia, but a nice step in the right direction.

Yay!!! I'm slowly but surely implementing a "you cut it, you block it" policy at our clinic. It's a rare surgery where I can't find some use for a local block.

Took my car in for service today. Service representative gave me a $20 off coupon as we headed to the cashier. :banana:

The end is in sight! :D November 15th will be my official last day at work. Everyone but boss lady knows, and I won't give her notice until sometime in later October. It feels so good to have an exit strategy and know that all of this is temporary. Seven weeks. :claps:

Reactions: 7 users

That's awesome. The anesthesia/analgesia scene is really sad here. I got a lot of backlash from my (older male) boss when asking for hydromorphone - we have butorphanol, buprenorphine and NSAIDs for peri-operative pain. I am so glad I wasn't there for the limb amputation he did the other day with just torb on board...I'm livid just thinking about it.

That's awesome. The anesthesia/analgesia scene is really sad here. I got a lot of backlash from my (older male) boss when asking for hydromorphone - we have butorphanol, buprenorphine and NSAIDs for peri-operative pain. I am so glad I wasn't there for the limb amputation he did the other day with just torb on board...I'm livid just thinking about it.
Clinic I used to hang out at did TTAs on torb... always made me cringe, they woke up so so very painful.

Thankfully we have hydro. I think the bosses would basically live on ace/torb if they could, but we have a boarded surgeon who swings by every week or two and she is responsible for us having a bunch of other drugs around. They're also both owners and used to getting whatever they want for the clinic, so are open to me doing whatever I want as long as it isn't too expensive. (Spent my lunch a week or so ago calculating the costs of different drugs per mL and for different sized pups... things they don't teach in vet school! :p)

Clinic I used to hang out at did TTAs on torb... always made me cringe, they woke up so so very painful.

Thankfully we have hydro. I think the bosses would basically live on ace/torb if they could, but we have a boarded surgeon who swings by every week or two and she is responsible for us having a bunch of other drugs around. They're also both owners and used to getting whatever they want for the clinic, so are open to me doing whatever I want as long as it isn't too expensive. (Spent my lunch a week or so ago calculating the costs of different drugs per mL and for different sized pups... things they don't teach in vet school! :p)

Oof :hungover:

My IT blocks seem to never be much good. I was reading the other day about making the incision from pre-scrotal incision area pointed caudal toward the testicles and kind of bringing each testicle up to the needle then saving the last bit for skin incision. I've done mine through the scrotum so maybe worth trying this new technique. Which way to do you do yours?

Oof :hungover:

My IT blocks seem to never be much good. I was reading the other day about making the incision from pre-scrotal incision area pointed caudal toward the testicles and kind of bringing each testicle up to the needle then saving the last bit for skin incision. I've done mine through the scrotum so maybe worth trying this new technique. Which way to do you do yours?
Ooh I actually like the sound of that so it blocks the skin too, but I just do it the typical way through the scrotum and kinda direct the needle towards the cord. I use the humane alliance local anesthesia chart for amounts because I'm lazy.

I'm a pain management nazi! This makes me happy!

I'll do the testicular blocks and a line block

I've had daily GI issues for the past month. My dog licked my face while I hurled into the porcelain this evening. Then he spooned me as I lied in a pathetic sobbing blob on the floor of the bathroom. Then my boyfriend made me dinner. And now I feel awesome.

Reactions: 4 users
A bunch of small raves:

1) It required me reformatting, buying and installing Windows 10, but I've managed to save my desktop computer. Which is good, because buying an OS is a hell of a lot cheaper than replacing the whole thing. I use my tablet for 99% of things, but there's still lots of stuff that just works better on a desktop (student loans and Gov of Canada websites, I'm looking at you....).

2) Also, I'm currently changing banks because my previous bank have been total twats ever since I became an adult and actually started requiring something of them, and through the new bank, I'm currently consolidating my federal student loan so it'll go from 5.2% to 2.7%. My provincial loan still sits at 0% as long as I work in the province (which I don't plan on leaving any time soon).

3) My nephew not only remembers me, he refers to me as "Aunt [Coquette]", which is impressive cause I thought he just knew me as that weird lady in the computer (aka Skype).

4) My sister managed not to pitch a tantrum at my mother's/step-dad's wedding. All in all, it was a surprisingly drama free week.

Reactions: 4 users
My boyfriend finally was able to clear coming to visit with his boss, so he bought his tickets to fly down next Saturday right after my midterms! :D I'm so excited, I haven't seen him since February because he's been deployed and he finally gets to visit the island and meet all my awesome vet school friends. I can't wait... Just have to get through five exams first :p

My motto at work is " Everything gets hydro." To the point that if the hydro is off in the drug count, the tech hits me with the binder. Practice owner tends to just do torb and NSAIDs, but younger doc is open to me giving his patients anesthetic cocktails, he just doesn't feel comfortable coming up with them on his own.

After the credit card payment fiasco two weeks ago, my bank finally got around to reversing all of the overdraft and returned check fees. A rave because I have my money back. I should also post this in the rant thread because it took them two weeks to correct their mistake....

Strange rave but my husband got a root canal today and the moment they numbed him his pain vanished after two weeks of intolerable migraines! So happy to have things back to normal.

Reactions: 3 users
Hell week (4 7am exams in a row), is OVER! :soexcited:

2 more weeks until white coat!!!

Reactions: 8 users