UFCVM c/o 2027 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am applying this cycle, but I was wondering if the clubs will be selling merch that people can buy at the open house on the 15th?
I believe they will be as there are clubs tabling!

Members don't see this ad.

How did everyone like the admitted students days? Sad I couldn't go but interested to hear how everyone liked (or disliked) it! Including the dolphin mating extravaganza lol

Also, how serious is the dress code? Like scrubs vs business professional vs ... casual?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
How did everyone like the admitted students days? Sad I couldn't go but interested to hear how everyone liked (or disliked) it! Including the dolphin mating extravaganza lol

Also, how serious is the dress code? Like scrubs vs business professional vs ... casual?
It was my first time at the school, and I absolutely loved it.

If you follow vetmedflorida on instagram, they’re doing a day in my life with a second year and she said that they wear mostly scrubs, but also business casual, and jeans and a vet med shirt. That’s pretty much what I saw on Preview Day

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It was my first time at the school, and I absolutely loved it.

If you follow vetmedflorida on instagram, they’re doing a day in my life with a second year and she said that they wear mostly scrubs, but also business casual, and jeans and a vet med shirt. That’s pretty much what I saw on Preview Day

I saw that too and that’s why I asked… like I get the professional school thing but also… it’s class… like can I not wear a random t-shirt and shorts? I get we’re not in undergrad and I’m not going in pajamas or workout clothes… but I can’t imagine a shirt from another school or with a brand/tv show is unprofessional

Also good to hear you loved it! Makes me excited :)

Reactions: 1 user
I saw that too and that’s why I asked… like I get the professional school thing but also… it’s class… like can I not wear a random t-shirt and shorts? I get we’re not in undergrad and I’m not going in pajamas or workout clothes… but I can’t imagine a shirt from another school or with a brand/tv show is unprofessional

Also good to hear you loved it! Makes me excited :)
We can wear scrubs/professional dress/vet med shirt and jeans as @dzmn said. I wish we didn’t have a dress code, but we yes we do. A lot of vet schools have them. I know auburn is professional dress only.

We can wear scrubs/professional dress/vet med shirt and jeans as @dzmn said. I wish we didn’t have a dress code, but we yes we do. A lot of vet schools have them. I know auburn is professional dress only.

On the prevet pawscast they also said a 2am email is unprofessional… maybe it’s just because I’ve been surrounded by those dismantling the idea of professionalism but this blows lmao. If I’m alone in this I’d be shocked

Also I feel like I know just as many vet schools that don’t have a dress code. Tufts, p sure UGA…

On the prevet pawscast they also said a 2am email is unprofessional… maybe it’s just because I’ve been surrounded by those dismantling the idea of professionalism but this blows lmao. If I’m alone in this I’d be shocked

Also I feel like I know just as many vet schools that don’t have a dress code. Tufts, p sure UGA…

As far as emails go, I've found using scheduled emails a huge gift because for some reason my brain works great after 10 pm which isn't the greatest for sending emails, but keeps emails within normal business hours for others.

There's certainly a fair share of schools that do or don't have dress codes - I've personally found the dress code here to be reasonable (it is professional school, after all) and really hasn't been an issue (I just wear scrubs because they're comfy and I don't like having to choose an outfit every day). I'd recommend checking out the student handbook, which is available on the school website for more details.

Current student here! Professionalism is encouraged in this graduate program for many reasons! It shows respect to the faculty and the professors who take time from clinics to teach us, showing up in a T-shirt and shorts isn't really preparing you for a profession where you will dress similarly to the dress code at school. Not to say it's a strict dress code, you aren't required to wear UF merch, you can wear other schools' or other logos, so long as there isn't anything vulgar or inappropriate on it. Taking care in our appearance shows that we care about the institution and respect those around us. Honestly, you will love wearing scrubs most days (I know UGA students have to wear navy scrubs for school) and it's super comfy! Professionalism may seem like an inconvenience, but it will prepare you for the career you ultimately chose.

• Hmm
Reactions: 5 users
Anyone get off the waitlist this week? I just want to know so can get on with my life lol

• Care
Professionalism may seem like an inconvenience, but it will prepare you for the career you ultimately chose.
The clothing you're wearing to attend class will make absolutely no difference in your success as a veterinarian.

Some schools have a dress code and hey, that's their thing, but wearing specific clothing to "show respect" to learn in a classroom is, IMO, an outdated and silly concept. Show respect to your professors by paying attention in class, applying what you learned, being respectful in your interactions with them, etc. Whether you're wearing a pair of jeans when you talk to them vs wearing a pair of slacks makes no actual difference. Obviously this doesn't apply to when you're on clinical rotations, but if someone told me I had to wear business casual to sit in a lecture hall for 8 hours, I'd laugh lol.

Again, I'm not harshing the vibe of schools that have a dress code, that's their prerogative, but the idea that they push on their students that it somehow prepares them for being a veterinarian is pretty baseless.

Current student here! Professionalism is encouraged in this graduate program for many reasons! It shows respect to the faculty and the professors who take time from clinics to teach us, showing up in a T-shirt and shorts isn't really preparing you for a profession where you will dress similarly to the dress code at school. Not to say it's a strict dress code, you aren't required to wear UF merch, you can wear other schools' or other logos, so long as there isn't anything vulgar or inappropriate on it. Taking care in our appearance shows that we care about the institution and respect those around us. Honestly, you will love wearing scrubs most days (I know UGA students have to wear navy scrubs for school) and it's super comfy! Professionalism may seem like an inconvenience, but it will prepare you for the career you ultimately chose.
Eh. I think it's an antiquated thing that schools should be moving away from, particularly for times when you're just sitting in a classroom. There are plenty of schools that don't have a classroom dress code at all and I don't think that means their students are unprofessional or disrespectful. Professionalism =/= a particular set of clothing, and there's nothing about wearing something dictated to you that prepares you for being a vet. There's a pretty broad range of typical attire for different careers in the field, and even within the same types of careers depending on where you're working.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone at the tour today? Looking for friends I’m on my own.

• Care
Does anybody have any recommendations on housing? Im out of state and turned in my acceptance form but I believe the woman who is processing everything is out until the 6th...so I haven't received the facebook group link or housing information and want to start looking.

Florida resident here! I was super depressed to get denied from UF, but got accepted at some other amazing schools. Currently planning to reapply, but unsure if I will go ahead and attend another veterinary school or wait and see if UF accepted me 2nd time around.
Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Florida resident here! I was super depressed to get denied from UF, but got accepted at some other amazing schools. Currently planning to reapply, but unsure if I will go ahead and attend another veterinary school or wait and see if UF accepted me 2nd time around.
There are a lot of things like this in a lot of other forums. Im oos and only got on waitlists this round. From what I've seen each application cycle is so unpredictable that the schools you got accepted into this year might not accept you next year and there's a chance you might not get in anywhere. I saw another girl from colorado in the same dilemma. Accept OOS first cycle or try again for IS to get the cheaper school?

I love attending UF, but I personally wouldn’t risk reapplying and not being accepted anywhere when you have an acceptance. I saw you post in the acceptance thread, I have a friend at LIU and she LOVES it. I would recommend talking to some current students there if you’re unsure.

I love attending UF, but I personally wouldn’t risk reapplying and not being accepted anywhere when you have an acceptance. I saw you post in the acceptance thread, I have a friend at LIU and she LOVES it. I would recommend talking to some current students there if you’re unsure.
Thanks for the information! I'm meeting with some LIU students remotely in a few weeks. My biggest requirement from vet school is keeping my costs as low as possible (since I'm older and I want to pay off my loans asap), to get as much exposure as possible, and go for a school with good NAVLE success rates. LIU is both above my ideal budget, and since they are new so no one has taken the NAVLE. Was also accepted to Western and Dublin. Western again not ideal budget-wise, but good NAVLE %. Dublin is within budget, plenty of experience options, but NAVLE was so-so past few years.
I was really hoping for UF because they have so many marine study programs, I met with a few students and they gave me amazing advice. I wanted to be one of the few veterinarians (only about a dozen or so worldwide) who can treat private collections, such as Japanese Koi, in small practice. It just wasn't in the cards this time, but I realized afterwards I made a lot of mistakes.
I'm def planning to not risk the year, and will go somewhere, but if I do get accepted to UF next year, its still cheaper for me to start over

Does anybody have any recommendations on housing? Im out of state and turned in my acceptance form but I believe the woman who is processing everything is out until the 6th...so I haven't received the facebook group link or housing information and want to start looking.

Personally, I used Zillow for finding a place to live as I was also OOS. My husband and I were unable to see units in person, so we went with a larger complex (the Polos) in the hopes of finding a more "standardized" place to move without seeing it first (that being said - we are NOT renewing our lease and will be moving into a house this fall).

I have classmates that really like the Spyglass apartments (@katiemcat) and have found it to be a generally good place to live.

My husband and I had certain criteria when it came to looking for a place like hardwood floors, space requirements, etc. that greatly influenced where we ended up. We read a ton of Google reviews, too!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

The group is live on Facebook, you can join it and answer the questions. They’ll approve you if you’re an accepted student.

Last edited:
I just accepted my offer as an oos!! So excited 🐊🐊

• Love
Does anyone have the 2022-2023 cost of attendance?

IS is a little less than 29,000 a year

FYI OOS waitlist has been slowly moving as spots become available so don't lose hope and look out for that 352 area code!

They're killing me with these applicant update emails. My adrenaline spikes for them to be only be all, "your alternate status is still active"

• Care
any current students know about street parking in sorority row area (around SW 12th st)? Looking for housing right now, and one option is in the area, but reserved parking is way too expensive and i'm curious about just street parking

If any instate-accepted students are willing to share their stats with me, I would really appreciate it! I am applying for the first time this cycle and am a little concerned about my mid GPA but really want to attend UF. Thank you!

Just got a called and accepted off the waitlist!

• Love
Does anyone know, once the final class is decided does the alternate list go away? Let's say that between when all seats are accepted and the start of classes, someone defers their seat or drops their seat last minute. Would that still be the final class or is there a possibility that they will people from the waitlist to fill those seats?

Students=money so if there’s an open seat they want to fill it and get paid for as many students as possible. Even up to the start date. I didn’t go to school at UF but I can’t see how they would be any different…theoretically it would be possible to get a call even like the week before classes started. But from being around SDN for many years, I’d say that most of the movement pretty much stops in June and if you haven’t heard anything by then it’s unlikely you’ll get a spot. But it’s not impossible to get a call closer to when school would start.

OOS just accepted off the waitlist. I’ll be declining my seat!

Reactions: 1 users