University of Minnesota c/o 2026

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just interviewed! It was very relaxed and conversational. Questions were all tell me about a time format. Don’t stress and breathe! It’s okay! And mine ended up being over an hour and that is okay!

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
For anyone that has interviewed - did you get to write down your thoughts before answering?

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed yesterday and it was very relaxed! I went into it really anxious and nervous and was A LOT calmer by the end of it. Best of luck to everyone interviewing!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Interviewing tomorrow morning, anyone who has already interviewed have any advice or tips? Thank you and good luck to all 😊

• Love
Interviewing tomorrow morning, anyone who has already interviewed have any advice or tips? Thank you and good luck to all 😊
I was definitely nervous because the questions are tricky but I think as long as you are genuine and honest in your answers, you will do great! My interviewers would smile or laugh at some of my answers too so I think that feedback is allowed (I know sometimes they can’t or won’t react) and that was also encouraging.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
I was nervous about it being an hour long. However, it was very relaxed and the time is great because it allows you time to think about your answers, which they definitely allowed. Made me feel very relaxed when they offered time to think or to come back to a question! I looked up some behavioral questions to practice beforehand to prepare!

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
We really want you all to succeed! Take deep breaths, be confident, and don't be afraid to take time to think about your answers.

Also, the more details you give in your answer, the easier it is for us to get to know you as an applicant and as a person :) Details = good

• Care
So my daughter had her interview this morning and she was very nervous . She said it was rough because although her interviewers were pleasant , they were also very stoic so she has no idea if she did well or not . 🥲 we’re just hoping for the best .🙏

• Care
My post-interview survey said we would know decisions second week of February. Is that next week? AHHHHHHH.

So my daughter had her interview this morning and she was very nervous . She said it was rough because although her interviewers were pleasant , they were also very stoic so she has no idea if she did well or not . 🥲 we’re just hoping for the best .🙏

It’s very hard to gage how an interview went. Many interviewers are trained or instructed not to give a lot of feedback or reactions during the interview. She did her best and that’s really all you can do!

My post-interview survey said we would know decisions second week of February. Is that next week? AHHHHHHH.
I was just discussing with my fiance whether this week counts as the first week in feb bc today is January? I do think next week counts as the 2nd week in feb. The last interview date is Tuesday 2/8, I know UMN has a faster turnaround time than most schools but that’d still be very quick to have decisions out that same week!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just discussing with my fiance whether this week counts as the first week in feb bc today is January? I do think next week counts as the 2nd week in feb. The last interview date is Tuesday 2/8, I know UMN has a faster turnaround time than most schools but that’d still be very quick to have decisions out that same week!
I agree! The past two cycles they did it on the 20th, and then 19th, so I was expecting the 18th. But I’m hoping we’ll be put out of our waiting misery as soon as possible!

• Care
I was out there for a tour in early December, and Violeta said the turnaround time was only a few days after the last interview!

I was out there for a tour in early December, and Violeta said the turnaround time was only a few days after the last interview!
last year interviews ended the 5th or 6th and final decisions came out on the 10th!! I think we’ll have decisions by late next week 🥳

• Love
last year interviews ended the 5th or 6th and final decisions came out on the 10th!! I think we’ll have decisions by late next week 🥳
Wait I just looked back and you’re right! It was February 10th. I must be thinking of a different school.

Do we know how many they interview for how many spots OOS/IS??

Each class has about 100-105 students, and it's about 50/50 IS/OOS if I remember correctly

I heard this year they are interviewing around 500 applicants

Each class has about 100-105 students, and it's about 50/50 IS/OOS if I remember correctly

Yes it is about 50/50 IS OOS for the class seats
Ahh that's a lot more interviewees than I thought lol

bob esponja anxiety GIF

wow that’s alot of interviews!! more than I woulda expected

Same, I would have expected higher turnout at their zoom lectures/panels for 500 people
I agree, I feel like most people do try and attend these things. None of them had more than 100-150 people, so even if only half the people went, that’s roughly around 300. But I have no clue either!

I dont know how the lectures and panels are being handled this year, but during in-person there was at least one, sometimes two panels per day, with three interview days each week for three? weeks, so it might be pretty divided out

I dont know how the lectures and panels are being handled this year, but during in-person there was at least one, sometimes two panels per day, with three interview days each week for three? weeks, so it might be pretty divided out
There has been one or so every few days, and some of the ones in the middle of all the sessions had an even smaller turnout. That was just the number for the first session and last. But again I have no clue and you could be right! I think 500 just sounds like a lot of interviews for a class of 105, and I really want to be accepted so hoping for a smaller number personally lol :) Guess we’ll find out next week!

I know Ohio State interviewed 550 applicants for a class of 165, so tbh 500 for a class of ~100 doesn't sound too far-fetched. It is a little scary when you think about the numbers though lol

Reactions: 3 users
I just had my interview and no matter how I did, it was such a positive experience! My favorite interview by far!

• Care
I just had my interview and no matter how I did, it was such a positive experience! My favorite interview by far!
That makes me feel better about mine on Saturday! The length makes me nervous but all y'all saying it was a good experience gives me hope. Need to prep more (I'm kinda bad at behavioral/"tell me about a time" questions) but I'm so tired from prepping.
Best of luck to everyone who still has theirs to do!!

That makes me feel better about mine on Saturday! The length makes me nervous but all y'all saying it was a good experience gives me hope. Need to prep more (I'm kinda bad at behavioral/"tell me about a time" questions) but I'm so tired from prepping.
Best of luck to everyone who still has theirs to do!!
It goes by so quickly!! I prepared a little bit, but honestly all my ideas went out the window in the actual interview. Just be yourself and try to have some fun with it!

Anyone else not receive an interview survey after their interview? I interviewed yesterday morning but have had friends who’ve gotten them pretty soon after their interview and I want to make sure I’m not missing out on anything 😅

Anyone else not receive an interview survey after their interview? I interviewed yesterday morning but have had friends who’ve gotten them pretty soon after their interview and I want to make sure I’m not missing out on anything 😅
I interviewed on Tuesday and never got one.. wondering if I should reach out or just let it go?
what was on the survey?

I interviewed on Tuesday and never got one.. wondering if I should reach out or just let it go?
what was on the survey?
The email that contained the survey mainly just said thank you for interviewing, here’s a link to a post interview survey if you would like to provide feedback. It also said we should be hearing about offers of admissions the second week of February.

Maybe only a random group of people get it?? I may just let it go now since I’m not the only one who didn’t get one…

Last day of interviews y'all! We're close to getting decisions! Best of luck to everyone.

I've got my interview in about an hour. Crossing my fingers that it goes well.

Just finished my interview. It was definitely tough, but fun and enjoyable too. Crossing my fingers for all of us and best of luck to those who interview today!

omg what an AMAZING interview experience. good luck to everyone who still has to interview and fingers crossed we all get good news!!

Last day of interviews y'all!

I thought the last day was Tues 2/8? Unless they changed it since initially scheduling?

Regardless, congrats to all who interviewed this morning I hope you can relax and celebrate. It really is an accomplishment making it this far as corny as that sounds :)

Help my interview is in 2 minutes and they haven't let me in yet, they said they would let us in 5 minutes before the scheduled time 😭

Help my interview is in 2 minutes and they haven't let me in yet, they said they would let us in 5 minutes before the scheduled time 😭

I think they let the interviewERs in a few minutes early, and the interviewEEs in a few minutes after the scheduled time. Don't worry! If you're waiting more than 10 mins past the start time, I would send an email. Besides that don't worry.

I think they let the interviewERs in a few minutes early, and the interviewEEs in a few minutes after the scheduled time. Don't worry! If you're waiting more than 10 mins past the start time, I would send an email. Besides that don't worry.
My anxious self already sent an email oops, I panicked 😅still not in tho

I thought the last day was Tues 2/8? Unless they changed it since initially scheduling?

Regardless, congrats to all who interviewed this morning I hope you can relax and celebrate. It really is an accomplishment making it this far as corny as that sounds :)
When I scheduled, the last day they offered a choice was 2/5 - but I do remember now that they had a couple of alternate days for makeups, for use as-needed. Last regular day of interviews!

Well, I did it! I hate those behavioral questions because I blank so badly on some of them. But I made it through them all! Honestly so unsure of how I did because they were fairly stoic, but. At least we'll hear soon!

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Well, I did it! I hate those behavioral questions because I blank so badly on some of them. But I made it through them all! Honestly so unsure of how I did because they were fairly stoic, but. At least we'll hear soon!
It’s so hard to think on the spot. I found it challenging too, but I’m sure you did great. Congrats on getting through! I’ll be on my toes all week waiting for results!

My daughter felt the same, she said her 2 interviewers were pretty stoic so she doesn’t know how she did . We’re just hoping for the best.

I totally agree! That was for sure the longest interview I've had, but I hope we all did well.

Does anyone know the specifics of how they make decisions? I know that they split it into academic measures, nonacademic measures, and the interview, but I was wondering how much each is ranked. For example, is it like each is worth 33% and each applicant is given a score in each category which when weighted gives a final score and the top 50 IS and top 50 OOS are given acceptance? Or, is it like once you meet the academic and nonacademic requirements all that matters is the interview? Thanks!

Does anyone know the specifics of how they make decisions? I know that they split it into academic measures, nonacademic measures, and the interview, but I was wondering how much each is ranked. For example, is it like each is worth 33% and each applicant is given a score in each category which when weighted gives a final score and the top 50 IS and top 50 OOS are given acceptance? Or, is it like once you meet the academic and nonacademic requirements all that matters is the interview? Thanks!
I believe it's 1/3 academic, 1/3 non-academic, and 1/3 interview. So pre-interview we all had 2/3 of the score already. I think they add them up and then pick the top however many applicants from each pool! I can't find that info on the website but it might have been from the info session I went to.