University of New England (UNECOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think it'll be hard to predict exactly where we are on the "list"... because so far they have seemed to weigh many different things highly. At certain times people have posited that the following are most important: IS status, high GPA, exemplary experiences, or those applying to lots of MD. So what's the ticket to an II? I have no idea!
A DO I spoke with who went to unecom said they really don't prefer candidates who also apply to allopathic schools.. They focus a lot on people who feel the only type of doctor for them is DO. But that was 6 years ago so who knows!!

Members don't see this ad.

A DO I spoke with who went to unecom said they really don't prefer candidates who also apply to allopathic schools.. They focus a lot on people who feel the only type of doctor for them is DO. But that was 6 years ago so who knows!!

I really got that vibe from the interview, though I know that some people who have already interviewed and got accepted (and didnt have great MCAT, etc.) also applied to MD schools. So who knows....like I said I interviewed with 2 DO and the interview really gave me the feeling that being all in as a DO is very important.

Its a good thing I am :)

Yeah, I can understand that based on the feelings I got from the visit I went on (and what Platelet just said!)

Members don't see this ad :)
To those who interviewed the first week of December, do you think we will hear back before the break or in January?

To those who interviewed the first week of December, do you think we will hear back before the break or in January?

I am hoping so, but we are hitting the time when bad weather and vacations might make getting the admin committee together a challenge.
I am expecting it to be after the new year, and hoping that it is before break...it would be awesome to be accepted before the holidays.

I am hoping so, but we are hitting the time when bad weather and vacations might make getting the admin committee together a challenge.
I am expecting it to be after the new year, and hoping that it is before break...it would be awesome to be accepted before the holidays.
I called Lisa Lane and she told me the committee met yesterday and the decisions need to be approved by the dean. So when that will occur i have no idea. This is for the interviews beginning in december and I don't know how far back they went.

I called Lisa Lane and she told me the committee met yesterday and the decisions need to be approved by the dean. So when that will occur i have no idea. This is for the interviews beginning in december and I don't know how far back they went.

Nice, well in that case I would expect to hear the end of this week or the beginning of next week if you are a front of the line candidate.
When they mentioned that part of the process (the dean part) during my interview they made it sound like it was a quick glance and a "a-ok" type of once over.

Everyday just got a little bit longer :)

Nice, well in that case I would expect to hear the end of this week or the beginning of next week if you are a front of the line candidate.
When they mentioned that part of the process (the dean part) during my interview they made it sound like it was a quick glance and a "a-ok" type of once over.

Everyday just got a little bit longer :)

Yeah almost makes me wish I didn't call. I hope they respond soon so i can decline one of the interviews I received. I hope to goodness we hear back soon!

Complete since Aug. 22, and still nothing. People have said UNE interviews according to applicants' stats (highest interviewed first)...those of you who interviewed most recently, what are your stats if you don't mind my asking? Just wondering how much longer I may have to wait haha...
It sounds like UNECOM looks at many things in addition to mcat scores and gpa, so I don't think you can really go by that. Advanced degrees, community service experiences, medically related employment, personal statement... Everything in an application is fair game. I highly doubt that they just skim the top gpas and mcat scores - UNECOM is a better school than that.

That being said, don't get discouraged, the interview process isn't even half over. And not all those that have been accepted thus far are going to go.

I sure hope they have some November interviewers in that pile for the dean. I have only heard 1 person from mid-late december interviews getting an acceptance.

This question is for any past/current students in UNECOM.

I know that there aren't any graduate student housing opportunities offered by the university but are there any nearby apartment complexes or buildings where a ton of students live in? (Maybe something similar to Century Towers at KCUMB) Or do the majority of students live in houses/condos on their own or with a few roommates?

This question is for any past/current students in UNECOM.

I know that there aren't any graduate student housing opportunities offered by the university but are there any nearby apartment complexes or buildings where a ton of students live in? (Maybe something similar to Century Towers at KCUMB) Or do the majority of students live in houses/condos on their own or with a few roommates?

There are no housing options similar to what you speak of. The majority of students live in downtown biddeford, and seasonal beach houses.

Good Luck to those applying

UNECOM OMS-1

I'm new to this site. I interviewed on 11/22 and still haven't heard anything. I spoke with lisa lane on Friday and she said I was in the next batch to be reviewed Monday (12/16). She said that this is the last committee meeting before the holiday and I'm guessing the files not reviewed in this meeting will find out sometime in January.

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone with around a 3.4/26 heard anything back yet from here?

has anyone with around a 3.4/26 heard anything back yet from here?

Tinylion (sp) who use to kick around this forum until she got accepted to a MD school I believe had similar stats...maybe she had 27 MCAT and she was accepted but is/was going to turn it down.

You can check past posts in here from her and get an idea but it was something along those lines....were all in the same extremely slow moving boat. :(

Those are my stats and I interviewed but haven't heard back the results of that interview.
O nice man at least you got an ii. I've been complete for a little over two months and not a single word. I'm a NY state resident and its killing me waiting!!

O nice man at least you got an ii. I've been complete for a little over two months and not a single word. I'm a NY state resident and its killing me waiting!!
I bet. It's a really busy time for them right now too. I was complete 11/1 and received interview offer on 11/6. I'm a Maine resident though and from what I was told at my interview is they don't have many Maine residents. Best of luck though!

Anyone aware of UNECOM's last interview month? Do they go until March or April? Thanks!

Accepted! Interviewed on November 21. I hope you all get good news too!

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats! Was UNECOM your #1? Also, do you mind sharing your stats?
Thanks!
Yes, numero uno.

I have a cGPA ~3.1, MCAT 31N, post-bacc GPA 3.84, SMP GPA 3.96.

It has been a long road, but paid off!

Reactions: 1 users
Also accepted and interviewed on 12/3! 69 LizzyM score for those who are curious

Reactions: 3 users
Ugh...I guess I have to just continue waiting....and waiting....I really wanted to have this settled before the holidays.

Ugh...I guess I have to just continue waiting....and waiting....I really wanted to have this settled before the holidays.

Just keep this in mind that you may not have been reviewed. When I talked to Lisa Lane she told me that they won't get to all the december ones, which means that they just push it back to the next committee meeting. Lots of hope left!

Just keep this in mind that you may not have been reviewed. When I talked to Lisa Lane she told me that they won't get to all the december ones, which means that they just push it back to the next committee meeting. Lots of hope left!

Yeah I interviewed 12/5....ugh

What is the grading in UNECOM? Pass/fail? Letter grades? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations to all accepted! I interviewed 11/19 and still have not heard back yet...does that mean I should receive a rejection in the mail soon?

Interview invite this morning! I am so very excited!!!

Here are my stats:

Complete 12/13.
UNE undergrad alumn
Home state: NY
MCAT: 9p/10R/11B
GPA: 3.73
~5 yrs research, 6 publications

I did apply to both MD and DOs but I made it clear that I have had a lot of exposure to DO and feel that it fits my personality.

Really looking forward to returning to UNE, I have nothing but good things to say about my undergrad experience there. There is only one school I would even consider going to before UNE and that is because it is near my family.

I am elated ! Interview invite this morning as well! My top choice! Complete on Tuesday and never thought I would hear back so soon! Crazy fast!

Congratulations to all accepted! I interviewed 11/19 and still have not heard back yet...does that mean I should receive a rejection in the mail soon?
I would say no. You interviewed right around me and I only heard back yesterday. I don't think you can go by exact dates of interview because your application just may have just missed a recent committee meeting and/or the dean has yet to sign off on it. This could be due to many things, including your interviewers simply not getting your application to the committee before other applications. I would most certainly not give up hope!

Did you get an Ii call or email? I am hoping to hear something today... Would be a great start to the Christmas holiday.

Hey everyone... this may be a silly question but what does this mean from the II email?

"...If you have not already done so, you can request, through the Office of Constituent Services, to be contacted by a current student prior to your interview. You can make your request to [email protected]; be sure to indicate your interview date in your request."

What exactly does the student contact you about prior to the interview? Thanks!

Hey everyone... this may be a silly question but what does this mean from the II email?

"...If you have not already done so, you can request, through the Office of Constituent Services, to be contacted by a current student prior to your interview. You can make your request to [email protected]; be sure to indicate your interview date in your request."

What exactly does the student contact you about prior to the interview? Thanks!

It has to do with UNECOM wanting to give you the opportunity to talk to a student, they ask in the the secondary about if you know someone who goes/attended UNE.

They just want to make that avalible to you, so when you go to the interview and they ask "so who do you know at UNECOM?" you can say I have spoken to current student so and so.

Thats all.

It has to do with UNECOM wanting to give you the opportunity to talk to a student, they ask in the the secondary about if you know someone who goes/attended UNE.

They just want to make that avalible to you, so when you go to the interview and they ask "so who do you know at UNECOM?" you can say I have spoken to current student so and so.

Thats all.

Oh, awesome! That sounds really cool, thank you very much!

Did you guys get a complete email before being invited for an interview?

Did you guys get a complete email before being invited for an interview?
My last lor arrived Monday, got complete email Tuesday, ii this morning. So I would say at this point timeline is completely random. And my mcat is disappointing 26, 3.8 sgpa and 3.77 cgpa

Last edited:
Interview Invite recently. Does anyone know the average MCAT for the most recent class? This is the best info I could find (not sure if its accurate):

"Grade Point Average (or GPA) has been above 3.5 for several years (with science GPA at 3.45 for several years). The Committee on Admissions prefers that applicants have scored at least a 3.4 overall (catalog-published minimum is 2.7). Medical College Admissions Test (or MCAT) has been 27 for several years." (via their website FAQ's)

Interview Invite recently. Does anyone know the average MCAT for the most recent class? This is the best info I could find (not sure if its accurate):

"Grade Point Average (or GPA) has been above 3.5 for several years (with science GPA at 3.45 for several years). The Committee on Admissions prefers that applicants have scored at least a 3.4 overall (catalog-published minimum is 2.7). Medical College Admissions Test (or MCAT) has been 27 for several years." (via their website FAQ's)
Today?

A couple of people had asked me about the UNE Online Medical Biochemistry Course. Here's an update after my first exam.

It was difficult, but not overly so. If you study hard, you should score at least a B. The exam had 30 questions and a time limit of 1.5 hours, more than enough time for you to really think about your answers. I do not believe the next units will be as difficult as the first, as it covered 6 modules and 16 chapters of material (that's room for just under one question per chapter on the exam, which really spreads your studying thin), while the rest cover 3-4 modules and 6-9 chapters each.The course frontloads all of the foundational material, essentially, so you can worry about the important stuff later on. If you decide to take it, don't be intimidated by the first unit or the grades you receive early on. It does not appear to be representative of the course as a whole.

This course might be for you if you've got a good amount of time to devote to reading and studying, as the questions are not overly hard but cover such a broad base of knowledge that you will need to put in some time to master the material. The lectures are a supplement to the readings, so you will need to be able to read between 2 and 5 20 page chapters per week (average just over 2 per unit) to do well on your exams.

This course might not be for you if you already have a busy schedule, large course load, do not learn well from readings or on your own, or have difficulty maintaining a self-study schedule. It is a time consuming course, and if you get behind, it is difficult to catch up. You're looking at one module every week with multiple chapters of reading and 1-2 hours of lectures each, as well as a test every 4-6 weeks.

Keep in mind I'm just one guy, and this is just my n=1 sample of the course. YMMV. I'll continue with updates as I progress through the course. Still on the fence as to whether I would recommend it to most people, but leaning more towards "for" than "against". Would definitely recommend it to the gunner types, but still getting a feel for how an average student might fare.

And to anyone who has not received word about their application, UNECOM will be closed until early January, so take some time to relax and enjoy the holidays with your family and friends. They will be processing apps and such during the break, so maybe you'll have some good news after the new year. Good luck everyone!

Last edited:

If I remember correctly from the presentation at the interview it was a 10 B 9V 9P. However, with that said, from my perspective at the interview, they did not stress that information too much.. at this point in the process they want to know about you and less about what numbers you have.. They will probably not bring up your score, but if you think it is weak and you have a good justification, I'm sure they would appreciate knowing why it is low and how this reflects your abilities to perform in medical school.

Good luck at the interview.. I had a good time at mine