University of New England (UNECOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know what the acceptance rate is after you interview?

This is straight from their website:

"UNECOM received more than 3,615 AACOMAS applications for the class entering August 2011. More than 3,300 supplemental applications were offered to qualified candidates. Less than 400 applicants were interviewed last year, with nearly 220 acceptances offered to fill the class of 124 students students."

Although this is from 3 years ago, I feel like it gives us an idea that they don't interview a large pool of applicants, and probably we'd get a 1 in 2 chances of getting in with an interview invite :D

Members don't see this ad.

I am taking biochem this semester which is my last prereq ... Does anyone know how this is handled for admissions? I interview next Thursday and I don't want to be held up from the committee making a decision based on incomplete prereqs! Do they offer conditional acceptances?

I am taking biochem this semester which is my last prereq ... Does anyone know how this is handled for admissions? I interview next Thursday and I don't want to be held up from the committee making a decision based on incomplete prereqs! Do they offer conditional acceptances?

I am in the same boat so I called. They said they will still extend you an acceptance. You just have to complete all the prereqs before the first day of classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info! That's sort of odd you "were not allowed" ... all of my other interviews showed us the anatomy lab without even signing any documentation.
My tour guide told me that Maine has strict patient protection laws, so we were not allowed to see any of the cadavers. At NYCOM, we went right into the lab so I was a little surprised by that...I guess it depends on the school!

Reactions: 1 user
I am interviewing the 24th, anyone else?

I don't know if anyone has the ability or was even interested, but if you are interviewing around the 31th of Jan you should try and stick around for the Maine Osteopathic Association Mid-Winter Meeting. I think UNE sent some emails out about it, I have gone to the last two and they have been really great. They showcase research going on at UNE and have some great discussion groups for clinically related topic which are really informative.

If anyone is going to be sticking around for it PM me, I am local and can help you with directions or whatever.

I just withdrew my acceptance from UNE. I absolutely loved the school, but have decided to go somewhere else for other reasons. Hope one of you waiting gets the spot! goodluck

for those of you who have gotten interviews, when you accept the date does Lisa email you back?

for those of you who have gotten interviews, when you accept the date does Lisa email you back?

I confirmed a few minutes after receiving the email. She emailed me back to say she confirmed my interview around 2 days later.

I just withdrew my acceptance from UNE. I absolutely loved the school, but have decided to go somewhere else for other reasons. Hope one of you waiting gets the spot! goodluck

Thank you thank you thank you

Does anyone know what the nontraditional/minority student population is like at this school? I've been scoping the website, but diversity does not seem to be a focus.

I never received a response. I got nervous because my interview is this coming Thursday and of course I'm worried they never received my confirmation!

Hey, this may have been posted before but I am just curious to see how things are going in general. Firstly, is anyone else in complete silence... I have had no real contact with the admissions in about 3 months. Secondly, has anyone been denied prior to interview or do they just do silent rejections?

This is the scenario I am in with multiple schools, what the heck is going on? I have an acceptance and another interview but about 8 schools have just not given me anything either way yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, this may have been posted before but I am just curious to see how things are going in general. Firstly, is anyone else in complete silence... I have had no real contact with the admissions in about 3 months. Secondly, has anyone been denied prior to interview or do they just do silent rejections?

This is the scenario I am in with multiple schools, what the heck is going on? I have an acceptance and another interview but about 8 schools have just not given me anything either way yet.

I know this is in the UNECOM thread and I am exactly where you are, I only applied to 10 schools (mostly due to money) and I have only heard back from one: UNECOM and that is likely because I am in state.

I was going to start asking around about sending in letter of interest to the schools that I have not heard back from, if anyone one here has experience or has suggestions on how to do this please let me know. Maybe this info would help Papa out too.

Thanks!

I am in the same boat. I have had 1 interview and am waiting to hear back on that one and am waiting on 8 other schools post-secondary without a rejection. I am not sure if UNECOM does silent rejections but I sent a letter of interest/update to UNECOM after speaking with admissions saying they accept them.

I know this is in the UNECOM thread and I am exactly where you are, I only applied to 10 schools (mostly due to money) and I have only heard back from one: UNECOM and that is likely because I am in state.

I was going to start asking around about sending in letter of interest to the schools that I have not heard back from, if anyone one here has experience or has suggestions on how to do this please let me know. Maybe this info would help Papa out too.

Thanks!
I have sent a few letters to schools post-secondary but was given advice to call admissions of each school first to see if they accept letters of interest/file updates. I expressed my interest in the school/region without coming off as desparate and updates on my academics/service.

Hi everyone, I just received an interview invitation this morning for Feb 4th (Tuesday), just wondering if anyone else is going that day? I submitted my II this Monday (4 days ago), and this is my first interview, so excited!

Last edited:
Withdrew my acceptance...UNECOM seemed like a great place so anyone who is going will love it!

Reactions: 1 users
It is conditionally offered so long as you plan on completing biochem prior to matriculation. It will likely not affect whether you are interviewed or your acceptance timeline at all. (I know because I am in this exact boat, finishing biochem as we speak)

No one should ever fear the UNECOM interview - literally the most chill and laid back "interview" you will ever have! I dont know if I was even asked a single question during my 45 minute conversation with a faculty member, so awesome!

How is the class? Is it difficult? I will have to take it if UNECOM offers me a seat (interviewing there soon).
The first unit is incredibly dense with material and quite difficult. The second one was much better, and the third seems even easier than the ones before it. I will have a full review for the course up after I complete it in February. Overall I would recommend it if you have the time to devote to it- you need to read over 40 chapters of biochem and watch 16 hours of lectures, in addition to taking 16 module quizes and 4 unit tests, two of which are proctored via webcam.

The first unit is incredibly dense with material and quite difficult. The second one was much better, and the third seems even easier than the ones before it. I will have a full review for the course up after I complete it in February. Overall I would recommend it if you have the time to devote to it- you need to read over 40 chapters of biochem and watch 16 hours of lectures, in addition to taking 16 module quizes and 4 unit tests, two of which are proctored via webcam.

Thank you for the info! I feel that I have a very good Gen Chem and Organic Chem background (I've been tutoring them since 2010), so I'm hoping that this will help me when I take Biochem. Goodluck with the rest of the course! :) Are you going to attend UNECOM?

No one should ever fear the UNECOM interview - literally the most chill and laid back "interview" you will ever have! I dont know if I was even asked a single question during my 45 minute conversation with a faculty member, so awesome!

This really comforts me. I'm getting nervous. My interview is in 10 days! Thanks for the feedback :)

Do you interview with two people at the same time?

Do you interview with two people at the same time?
Generally, yes... Usually its like one prof/doc/nurse and a second year student. I, on the other hand, only interviewed with a prof so I think it just depends on the day and whose available at the time of the interview.

What time do the interviews wrap up? Trying to sort out travel plans for Friday evening.

What time do the interviews wrap up? Trying to sort out travel plans for Friday evening.

My email said it would be a morning interview. We need to be there by 7:45. A presentation starts at 8, and that my interview will be scheduled between 9 and noon. Seems like others who have interviewed there says that while you wait for your interview, you go on a tour...or if you have the earlier interview time, you'd tour afterwards. So I assume that I'd be out of there by noon. I'm flying out of PWM at 3 so I better be out there by noon lol

This thread is so quiet, was hoping for more action.

Does anyone know what the class size was last year and what it will be this year? The FAQ section on the UNECOM website isn't updated. They said they accepted 220 out of the less than 400 they interviewed for a class size of 124 (in 2011). Hmmm... I wonder if the acceptance rate this year will be similar.. :xf:

This thread is so quiet, was hoping for more action.

Does anyone know what the class size was last year and what it will be this year? The FAQ section on the UNECOM website isn't updated. They said they accepted 220 out of the less than 400 they interviewed for a class size of 124 (in 2011). Hmmm... I wonder if the acceptance rate this year will be similar.. :xf:
They increased their class size by 50 last year (CheckMate2013 had some good infromation on this in his post of questions he asked current UNECOM students). So their class will be about 175 this year and thus I imagine they will accept more people that 220.

Rejected today. I guess the overwhelmingly large number of MD schools I had to list on the secondary didn't help convince them I was actually interested in their school.

Rejected today. I guess the overwhelmingly large number of MD schools I had to list on the secondary didn't help convince them I was actually interested in their school.

Did you interview? Was it via email or snail mail?

Sorry to hear about that, man. I'm assuming though, based on your signature that you've been accepted elsewhere? If so, congratulations!
I am interviewing at UNECOM next week, and I actually am a reapplicant. I listed the 20 MD schools I applied to last year and the 6 DO schools I applied to this year.
I guess it really is a case-by-case basis.

Sorry to hear about that, man. I'm assuming though, based on your signature that you've been accepted elsewhere? If so, congratulations!
I am interviewing at UNECOM next week, and I actually am a reapplicant. I listed the 20 MD schools I applied to last year and the 6 DO schools I applied to this year.
I guess it really is a case-by-case basis.
Interesting, well good luck! I have been waiting to hear either way (pre Interview) 3+ months and have been considering sending in a LOI... I guess I will leave it be though. I will consider a lack of news as still good news. For now.

Does Adcom meet every two weeks on a regular schedule? I dont recall ever getting a date of when I would be notified of a decision post-interview. Anyone know when Interviews from last week might hear?! Thanks!

Does Adcom meet every two weeks on a regular schedule? I dont recall ever getting a date of when I would be notified of a decision post-interview. Anyone know when Interviews from last week might hear?! Thanks!

I interviewed Dec.5th and Lisa Lane told me that they have not gotten to that interview date yet and the earliest the committee will be meeting is January 27th. So if you just interviewed last week, i would say give it until mid or end of feb before you hear anything best guess.

I am current first year and will do my best to answer some questions that I've seen...

I applied as a non-traditional candidate with a solid MCAT (>30), decent GPA (3.6ish), a post-bacc program, and numerous other EC items. I was a late applicant and interviewed pretty late, but had no problem getting in.

As for the courses now, I will just reinforce a few things that some of my classmates have previously posted:

1. The curriculum is in transition. UNECOM is attempting to transform from a traditional lecture-based teaching to a more "integrative" approach. What this means is that we don't spend much time in lectures, and the time that we do spend in lecture is often spent working with our small group on open-ended questions. We are required to do a significant amount of work over the weekend and before the lectures in order to be able to understand what is being presented. For example: right now we are doing cardiac. Rather than focus just on cardiac physiology, we are looking at the phys while also having path/biochem/histo etc. tied in. Our lectures during the week don't start with the basic stuff, but instead we jump directly into harder things. An example of this was our first lecture on EKGs IMMEDIATELY jumped into identifying pathologic EKGs without going over the basics of a normal EKG, how they're recorded, etc. All this "basic" stuff was expected to be learned by ourselves over the weekend.

So with only about 6-8 hours in "lecture" each week, the rest of our time is spent in small groups where we work in groups of 6 to reinforce the material. Many people (me included) feel that this time is a waste, but I know some really benefit from learning from their peers.

2. With the change in curriculum, there was supposedly a mass exodus of professors last year. Also, the professors who did stay have had to adjust to the change in style just like the students have. As a result, I feel many of our professors (especially on the "OMK" side, which is composed of our basic science classes) do a poor job presenting the material. Although our anatomy/OMT professors in our "OCS" side have been great, a lot of the info we learn in OMK comes from outside resources (ie reading at home on weekends).

3. I would say that the increase in class size has seemed fairly seamless. The lecture hall my class of 175 (actually we probably have lost ~10 kids so far...so maybe 165 at this point) uses is well suited for the style of learning they are trying to create. The big question is what will happen next year when two large classes have to share the same space... The biggest question mark is parking -- it is already horrible and having an extra 50 students next year will make it absolutely miserable

4. Except for the 6 hours of OMK lecture each week, attendance to everything else is "mandatory". We just started to video capture the lectures which is a huge help (except for the professors that are just awful at teaching). Everyday is essentially 8-5:30 with an hour and a half for lunch. We also get one morning and one afternoon off each week (unless we are doing standardized patients, preceptorships, or other random things).

I feel that for the people who have an extremely strong background in the information (either through a post-bac program or previous work as a nurse/PA/etc) the workload is bearable and the integrative curriculum actually works well. For those without a strong background, their nights and weekends are absolutely loaded with trying to learn the "basics" so they don't fall behind.

I am current first year and will do my best to answer some questions that I've seen...

I applied as a non-traditional candidate with a solid MCAT (>30), decent GPA (3.6ish), a post-bacc program, and numerous other EC items. I was a late applicant and interviewed pretty late, but had no problem getting in.

As for the courses now, I will just reinforce a few things that some of my classmates have previously posted:

1. The curriculum is in transition. UNECOM is attempting to transform from a traditional lecture-based teaching to a more "integrative" approach. What this means is that we don't spend much time in lectures, and the time that we do spend in lecture is often spent working with our small group on open-ended questions. We are required to do a significant amount of work over the weekend and before the lectures in order to be able to understand what is being presented. For example: right now we are doing cardiac. Rather than focus just on cardiac physiology, we are looking at the phys while also having path/biochem/histo etc. tied in. Our lectures during the week don't start with the basic stuff, but instead we jump directly into harder things. An example of this was our first lecture on EKGs IMMEDIATELY jumped into identifying pathologic EKGs without going over the basics of a normal EKG, how they're recorded, etc. All this "basic" stuff was expected to be learned by ourselves over the weekend.

So with only about 6-8 hours in "lecture" each week, the rest of our time is spent in small groups where we work in groups of 6 to reinforce the material. Many people (me included) feel that this time is a waste, but I know some really benefit from learning from their peers.

2. With the change in curriculum, there was supposedly a mass exodus of professors last year. Also, the professors who did stay have had to adjust to the change in style just like the students have. As a result, I feel many of our professors (especially on the "OMK" side, which is composed of our basic science classes) do a poor job presenting the material. Although our anatomy/OMT professors in our "OCS" side have been great, a lot of the info we learn in OMK comes from outside resources (ie reading at home on weekends).

3. I would say that the increase in class size has seemed fairly seamless. The lecture hall my class of 175 (actually we probably have lost ~10 kids so far...so maybe 165 at this point) uses is well suited for the style of learning they are trying to create. The big question is what will happen next year when two large classes have to share the same space... The biggest question mark is parking -- it is already horrible and having an extra 50 students next year will make it absolutely miserable

4. Except for the 6 hours of OMK lecture each week, attendance to everything else is "mandatory". We just started to video capture the lectures which is a huge help (except for the professors that are just awful at teaching). Everyday is essentially 8-5:30 with an hour and a half for lunch. We also get one morning and one afternoon off each week (unless we are doing standardized patients, preceptorships, or other random things).

I feel that for the people who have an extremely strong background in the information (either through a post-bac program or previous work as a nurse/PA/etc) the workload is bearable and the integrative curriculum actually works well. For those without a strong background, their nights and weekends are absolutely loaded with trying to learn the "basics" so they don't fall behind.

Wow thanks for all this information UNECOM 2017! May I ask if those 10 students dropped out or failed?

Wow thanks for all this information UNECOM 2017! May I ask if those 10 students dropped out or failed?

Some dropped out for personal reasons (a couple just couldn't cut it, others had outside issues to deal with) but were supposedly dismissed from the school due to failing OCS exams. The OCS exams, as others had stated, are curved based on how well the class does -- our class happened to do really well! As a result, you had to score a 94 or better for honors, 90-94 for high pass, and 80-90 for a pass. On all OCS tests, there is a "hard" passing grade of 80%, so regardless of how the curve is skewed, if you score 80% you will pass (ie everyone else got 100% but you got only 80 then you still pass). This curve is usually there to help us (ie if the average for the class is 70% on a test, then H would be somewhere like 83+, HP 75-83, P 65-75) but since we have been doing so well (or tests have been easy?) the curve doesn't help and causes frustration. So most that did not return failed a few of the exams.

Some dropped out for personal reasons (a couple just couldn't cut it, others had outside issues to deal with) but were supposedly dismissed from the school due to failing OCS exams. The OCS exams, as others had stated, are curved based on how well the class does -- our class happened to do really well! As a result, you had to score a 94 or better for honors, 90-94 for high pass, and 80-90 for a pass. On all OCS tests, there is a "hard" passing grade of 80%, so regardless of how the curve is skewed, if you score 80% you will pass (ie everyone else got 100% but you got only 80 then you still pass). This curve is usually there to help us (ie if the average for the class is 70% on a test, then H would be somewhere like 83+, HP 75-83, P 65-75) but since we have been doing so well (or tests have been easy?) the curve doesn't help and causes frustration. So most that did not return failed a few of the exams.

So how many classes would one need to fail to be dismissed at UNECOM?

So how many classes would one need to fail to be dismissed at UNECOM?
Only 2 "classes": OCS and OMK. The OCS class has three different exams every 6 weeks or so: an anatomy donor lab practical, a clinical skills exam, and a written (multiple choice) exam. If you fail one of these, you have the opportunity to "CAP" it -- essentially you just take an oral exam with the professors to show them you know the material.

I am unsure as to whether the people who were dismissed had to CAP multiple tests or if they somehow failed one of their CAPs.

As with all medical schools, it is difficult to get in and difficult to flunk out. UNE does everything possible to ensure that us students are successful. The reason why they set the "fail" level so low is to fully ensure we are getting the material. Some schools set a simple pass/fail line at 65% which roughly corresponds the the % needed to pass the USMLE. But at unecom they want to make sure we do better than just pass, and so set the bar high.

Without knowing those that "flunked" out too well, it is pretty difficult to do so and perhaps those people weren't cut out to be treating patients.

Only 2 "classes": OCS and OMK. The OCS class has three different exams every 6 weeks or so: an anatomy donor lab practical, a clinical skills exam, and a written (multiple choice) exam. If you fail one of these, you have the opportunity to "CAP" it -- essentially you just take an oral exam with the professors to show them you know the material.

I am unsure as to whether the people who were dismissed had to CAP multiple tests or if they somehow failed one of their CAPs.

As with all medical schools, it is difficult to get in and difficult to flunk out. UNE does everything possible to ensure that us students are successful. The reason why they set the "fail" level so low is to fully ensure we are getting the material. Some schools set a simple pass/fail line at 65% which roughly corresponds the the % needed to pass the USMLE. But at unecom they want to make sure we do better than just pass, and so set the bar high.

Without knowing those that "flunked" out too well, it is pretty difficult to do so and perhaps those people weren't cut out to be treating patients.

Wow, I'm quite impressed at how high the standards are at UNECOM. Thanks, this is another reassurance that this is a great school to pick. Unfortunate that 10 have already dropped/failed within the first semester though. Although you are right, if you aren't making it in med school, you may not be cut out to be treating patients.

Wow, I'm quite impressed at how high the standards are at UNECOM. Thanks, this is another reassurance that this is a great school to pick. Unfortunate that 10 have already dropped/failed within the first semester though. Although you are right, if you aren't making it in med school, you may not be cut out to be treating patients.
I have absolutely 0 doubts that the professors and administration truly care about our education. They don't want us to just "get by" but want us to overachieve in all ways possible. Another example of this is our mandatory 2 hours of ethics every weeks which, honestly, many of us hate and think would be better replaced with more lecture. But they don't want us to just be physicians, but want us to be caring physicians. Another example is the fact we have 4 hours of dedicated OMT lab each week (whereas the DO requirement is 200 hours total over the 4 years...).

So while we can't doubt the intentions of the professors and administrators, the biggest question some of us have is about the quality of some of our classes and whether the emphasis they place on some things (ie ethics and OMT) will ultimately hurt us in other aspects (ie preparation for the USMLE and comlex).

And while I'm at it I might as well tell you my favorite thing about unecom: there are 0 gunners. No one in my class will intentionally harm your learning just so they can "rise to the top". Most of the small groups work well together and students are more than willing to divide the workload in a way to help each other while receiving help themselves. I really do feel like our class is unified in the short-hand goal of performing as well as possible on our next set of tests.

My next favorite thing: exam week. Not that fact that we have to have exams, but it is incredibly helpful to have a week of no classes where you focus on exams! So you take normal classes for 5 weeks or so. The 6th week is a little of a review/tie in all the concepts. The 7th week you have no classes scheduled but instead have 3-4 exams scheduled: a 2-hour anatomy lab practical on Monday, a clinical skills exam on Tuesday/Wednesday/or Thursday, and a "4 hour" multiple choice written OMK and OCS exam on Friday morning. Putting all the exams together in a single week may seem stressful (and it is!) but it allows you to gradually prepare for all of them and, once your done with the hell week, you have essentially 6-7 weeks of freedom until the next block week! Just imagine having to taking an exam every week or two which would result in studying hard for one exam, then catching up in another class and studying hard for that exam, etc. That would leave you with no social life!

I have absolutely 0 doubts that the professors and administration truly care about our education. They don't want us to just "get by" but want us to overachieve in all ways possible. Another example of this is our mandatory 2 hours of ethics every weeks which, honestly, many of us hate and think would be better replaced with more lecture. But they don't want us to just be physicians, but want us to be caring physicians. Another example is the fact we have 4 hours of dedicated OMT lab each week (whereas the DO requirement is 200 hours total over the 4 years...).

So while we can't doubt the intentions of the professors and administrators, the biggest question some of us have is about the quality of some of our classes and whether the emphasis they place on some things (ie ethics and OMT) will ultimately hurt us in other aspects (ie preparation for the USMLE and comlex).

And while I'm at it I might as well tell you my favorite thing about unecom: there are 0 gunners. No one in my class will intentionally harm your learning just so they can "rise to the top". Most of the small groups work well together and students are more than willing to divide the workload in a way to help each other while receiving help themselves. I really do feel like our class is unified in the short-hand goal of performing as well as possible on our next set of tests.

My next favorite thing: exam week. Not that fact that we have to have exams, but it is incredibly helpful to have a week of no classes where you focus on exams! So you take normal classes for 5 weeks or so. The 6th week is a little of a review/tie in all the concepts. The 7th week you have no classes scheduled but instead have 3-4 exams scheduled: a 2-hour anatomy lab practical on Monday, a clinical skills exam on Tuesday/Wednesday/or Thursday, and a "4 hour" multiple choice written OMK and OCS exam on Friday morning. Putting all the exams together in a single week may seem stressful (and it is!) but it allows you to gradually prepare for all of them and, once your done with the hell week, you have essentially 6-7 weeks of freedom until the next block week! Just imagine having to taking an exam every week or two which would result in studying hard for one exam, then catching up in another class and studying hard for that exam, etc. That would leave you with no social life!

Glad to hear from a current student who is happy with this school :) Almost everyone from UNECOM here at SDN share the same sentiments that you've talked about. Small community, where students love to help each other out, etc. Goodluck with everything!

Hi UNECOM 2017! Thanks again for posting this as well as many other answers to questions and such. I have a few questions regarding some of the things you brought up however...

I am fully aware that medical school is going to be hard and requires a lot of self learning and determination, however you brought up the fact that you only have ~6 hours of lecture per week and you have to learn most of the stuff over the weekend before on your own. Why is it that UNECOM severely cut down lecture time with this "new" integrated curriculum? I feel like many schools are currently transforming into, or have been doing, the integrated curriculum for a few years but still kept the typical lecture type classes to supply all of the most imperative information for med students... It just seems like a bit of a bummer if you are paying $50,000/year to basically just have to hunker down in the lib and learn everything always on your own and not be taught by great physicians/profs/etc.

Secondly, you had said that you feel that time is wasted in the small group learning sessions... why is that? And, are there mentors/profs there guiding the small groups sessions?

Lastly, I am happy to hear that there is now video recorded courses. I think this a big plus for the students. How many of the OMK professors would you say are just absolutely terrible and what makes them so bad?

Thanks!

Hi UNECOM 2017! Thanks again for posting this as well as many other answers to questions and such. I have a few questions regarding some of the things you brought up however...

I am fully aware that medical school is going to be hard and requires a lot of self learning and determination, however you brought up the fact that you only have ~6 hours of lecture per week and you have to learn most of the stuff over the weekend before on your own. Why is it that UNECOM severely cut down lecture time with this "new" integrated curriculum? I feel like many schools are currently transforming into, or have been doing, the integrated curriculum for a few years but still kept the typical lecture type classes to supply all of the most imperative information for med students... It just seems like a bit of a bummer if you are paying $50,000/year to basically just have to hunker down in the lib and learn everything always on your own and not be taught by great physicians/profs/etc.

Secondly, you had said that you feel that time is wasted in the small group learning sessions... why is that? And, are there mentors/profs there guiding the small groups sessions?

Lastly, I am happy to hear that there is now video recorded courses. I think this a big plus for the students. How many of the OMK professors would you say are just absolutely terrible and what makes them so bad?

Thanks!

You are correct in that many schools are transitioning over into a more "integrated" approach. The reason for this (as we were told) is that studies have shown that using small groups and teaching styles such as PBL/CBL increases retention and application of material. Also, this is the way we will be continually learning once we leave UNECOM and become practicing physicians. Examples of our first year integrative curriculum: we spend 2 hours each week with our group of 6 creating a "concept map" (aka web of knowledge/flow chart) that is based on a patient case involving what we are currently learning. For example, our CMap the other week was on a patient with a history of hypertension since we were learning cardio. Some people love CMapping and others feel it is an inefficient use of time (most the time spent is not actually "learning" but is more just artistically styling our concept map assignment). Other examples of integration are our Thursday discussion groups -- your group of 6 meets with about 8 other groups and are presented multiple choice questions that are supposed to be difficult and stimulating. As a group you come up with an answer to the question and then explain your rationale to everyone else. Again... many feel its not the best use of time. For all of these sessions, there is a professor/faculty member who facilitates it.

As for the professors, the problems stem from a) poor powerpoint presentations that you can't really study off of after class, b) inability or no time to teach the basics and so the info goes completely over half the classes head, or c) they are just lousy -- either boring or unable to explain the information in a way we can understand. I know every school is going to have poor professors here and there, but it really seems like UNE might fall short overall.

With that said, we have plenty of faculty who are amazing. Pretty much our whole anatomy faculty do a great job. Our OMT professors are great and hands-on. We are given a list of objectives each week so we are pretty well guided as to what is expected of us. And in our online "blackboard" database has a discussion board where we are able to post any questions we have about the material, and the faculty/peers do an excellent job in clearing up any questions!

I have a stronger background than the majority of my class, so I am unable to truly say how well others are getting through the heavy workload. It is beneficial that our anatomy is a full year long and so our anatomy classes correlate with what we are doing in lab, and often correlate in the system we are working on in OMK!

Long story short: I would be miserable right now if it weren't for my background. Because of my strong background, I actually enjoy the integrative style because I can "skip over" the basics I've already had and learn the new stuff they teach us! Seriously... you won't hear many other medical schools schools teaching the full list of anti-fungal therapies, treatments for hypertension, etc to the first years!

So awesome to hear honest, positive feedback from current students! Thanks so much, guys :)

I'm interviewing on Wednesday morning. Just curious, how many candidates interview in one day?