University of New England (UNECOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone mind posting the prompt?

Members don't see this ad.

+1 did you happen to get this prompt too? I already completed all the pre reqs...
I just got that email, too. No idea what they're talking about. It does say that I can still get an II and accepted regardless of the "conditions," so I'm not that concerned about it at this point.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
All essays have a maximum of 2000 characters:

1. Describe your particular interest in attending UNECOM and any contact you have had with UNECOM students, alumni, faculty or clinicians, admissions counselors, student affairs staff, etc. How did these interactions influence your decision to apply?

2. Please explain any gaps in education or employment. Indicate any changes or additions in your education or employment, experiences, research, etc. since submitting your AACOMAS application.

3. Pick an example of a challenge/difficulty you have encountered that is of a personal, cultural, extra-curricular, or academic nature. What insight have you gained from this event? How will it influence your time at UNECOM and your practice of medicine?

4. Describe your particular interest in osteopathic medicine, how you learned of it, and how it fits into your future plans.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
1. Describe your particular interest in attending UNECOM and any contact you have had with UNECOM students, alumni, faculty or clinicians, admissions counselors, student affairs staff, etc. How did these interactions influence your decision to apply?

2. Please explain any gaps in education or employment. Indicate any changes or additions in your education or employment, experiences, research, etc. since submitting your AACOMAS application.

3. Pick an example of a challenge/difficulty you have encountered that is of a personal, cultural, extra-curricular, or academic nature. What insight have you gained from this event? How will it influence your time at UNECOM and your practice of medicine?

4. Describe your particular interest in osteopathic medicine, how you learned of it, and how it fits into your future plans.

@AlteredScale

I thought they didn't like me and didn't send me a secondary, but realized that I hadn't refreshed my inbox

Reactions: 3 users
If you have any questions regarding why you received a particular notice in regard to prereqs or whatever, just call admissions and be polite. They're extremely friendly and helpful.

seems like you have to call or send a check to unecom for the secondary fee

for the first question what if you had no contact with anyone at UNE COM?

Aaaaaaaand submitted! Good luck everyone!

Submitted too! This secondary was kinda long...

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you use the full 2000 characters for each? I'm almost done!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I came to like 1996 characters on one answer haha, but the some were about 1500 or less. So fairly close! I think on the activities one I only used like 1000. So..... a mixed bag haha. How about you?

I came to like 1996 characters on one answer haha, but the some were about 1500 or less. So fairly close! I think on the activities one I only used like 1000. So..... a mixed bag haha. How about you?

Same for me haha

I just paid the secondary fee here. Did anyone receive any confirmation that their application is complete or the payment was received?

Hi everyone :) For those of you who received a secondary, would you mind sharing your GPA and MCAT score? I'm a Maine resident, my GPA is 3.9, and I don't write my MCAT until next week but the highest score I've gotten on the Kaplan practice full lengths is 502. This is my number one school of choice, and I'm just curious how competitive my application will be if I score in the low 500's.

Hi everyone :) For those of you who received a secondary, would you mind sharing your GPA and MCAT score? I'm a Maine resident, my GPA is 3.9, and I don't write my MCAT until next week but the highest score I've gotten on the Kaplan practice full lengths is 502. This is my number one school of choice, and I'm just curious how competitive my application will be if I score in the low 500's.
I'm not a Maine resident but live within 40 minutes of the school and I have a 3.90 sGPA, 3.87 cGPA and a 515 MCAT, but I'm lacking in ECs. This is my number one school as well! I think you should be fine because you're instate. Good luck on your mcat!

I'm not a Maine resident but live within 40 minutes of the school and I have a 3.90 sGPA, 3.87 cGPA and a 515 MCAT, but I'm lacking in ECs. This is my number one school as well! I think you should be fine because you're instate. Good luck on your mcat!
Thank you so much for sharing! I would say with your proximity to the school, high GPA, and really competitive MCAT score you don't have to worry about your ECs being super strong. Good luck with the application process and keep us all updated with how it goes! :)

I just paid the secondary fee here. Did anyone receive any confirmation that their application is complete or the payment was received?
if you paid by CC through the phone number like I did, the lady said that it should get processed tonight, and then we should get an email new few days saying the payment was received

im genuinely curious, with stats like that , you could attend an MD school, why is unecom your first choice? distance?

im genuinely curious, with stats like that , you could attend an MD school, why is unecom your first choice? distance?
I go to a school where a lot of graduates go onto UNE and they have all been very happy with the education. We've had so many students and graduates come back and give presentations, that I've grown to really like UNE, and it's the only school that I can imagine myself at. Part of it is distance, and the other part is that I truly like the school. I suppose I may also have to convince them of that if I am offered an interview

I go to a school where a lot of graduates go onto UNE and they have all been very happy with the education. We've had so many students and graduates come back and give presentations, that I've grown to really like UNE, and it's the only school that I can imagine myself at. Part of it is distance, and the other part is that I truly like the school. I suppose I may also have to convince them of that if I am offered an interview
gotchya! makes sense

Not in ME, but lot's of UNE students speaking at your school... Pretty high chance we have the same undergrad ;)
Similar stats, too. It is weird to think that one could potentially be rejected because of having "MD level stats." Except that the MD schools around New England are... low yield, to say the least.

Can't get anyone to answer the phone to pay for the secondary.... :eyebrow:

You guys think it would be okay to answer the challenge/difficulty question with me taking the MCAT 3 times?

You guys think it would be okay to answer the challenge/difficulty question with me taking the MCAT 3 times?
IMO, I would try to find something else that is challenging/difficult, most schools seem to frown upon multiple retakes, but i mean if u went from a 20-22-36 go for it

IMO, I would try to find something else that is challenging/difficult, most schools seem to frown upon multiple retakes, but i mean if u went from a 20-22-36 go for it

ehhh 496, 497, 506 between spring 2015 and spring 2016, so not super drastic. Thanks for the input.

ehhh 496, 497, 506 between spring 2015 and spring 2016, so not super drastic. Thanks for the input.

Also, sometimes it's better not to draw too much attention to a flaw in your app. Maybe see if they average or just look at your highest attempt before you decide.

Writing the the mcat is definitely difficult and challenging, it's not easy to stay motivated and committed to one thing for so long. But I would advise against it because everybody applying has been through the same challenges, and maybe some have had it harder than others, but at the end of the day everyone has taken the mcat. I would try to think of something that will make you stand out. Good luck :)

how long after submitting the payment via phone did y'all receive a confirmation? the representative on the phone mentioned "a few days" but didn't specify.

how long after submitting the payment via phone did y'all receive a confirmation? the representative on the phone mentioned "a few days" but didn't specify.
paid friday, got an email saying they received the payment today, but it still has to process apparently

This whole calling in order to pay my supplemental fee is really inefficient :bored:.

Calling since 8AM (Office opened at this time); still getting nothing.

Is there a place to check your app status?

This whole calling in order to pay my supplemental fee is really inefficient :bored:.

Calling since 8AM (Office opened at this time); still getting nothing.
Seriously, wth is that all about? When is the last time anyone had to call to pay for anything?!

Just received the secondary! Really excited. Good luck everyone!

Where are the secondary prompts?
@MDrocker
All essays have a maximum of 2000 characters:

I'm having trouble paying via phone call as well. Called and sent emails, nothing. Will try again tomorrow.

Does anyone know if this school is strict on their 14-day rule to submit the secondary? If I don't submit it in 14-days, should I just not bother submitting my secondary here?

Does anyone know if this school is strict on their 14-day rule to submit the secondary? If I don't submit it in 14-days, should I just not bother submitting my secondary here?
Not sure but you should turn in all secondary within 72 hours and at latest a week. At least that is what I have read.

Are your stats near their minimums or do you have a low section score on your MCAT?

If you are certain you are above their minimums it is probably worth asking for clarification. The admissions people I have talked to there have been nice.