University of New England (UNECOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How long will it take to hear back after submitting secondary

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted!! Second one! Interviewed 9/15 in the afternoon SO STOKED

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted today. Interviewed 9/14, complete early September. 510/3.7 message for anything else if I can be of help! Really enjoyed the school.

Reactions: 5 users
Lol guys...

So I went to check up on my app status and I was looking at a copy of my supplemental that they sent me and I realized that there are no separation of paragraphs like I had in my original word doc. :eek: My responses to the secondary prompts are all clustered blurbs of text... You can maybe tell the paragraphs apart if you see a large break from the last sentence period before the next one begins on the next line.

What do I do? Will I be struck down by the lobster gods? :(

Rejected. Interviewed 9/14. I'm shocked, thought for sure I would get in here.

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted!!!!! First of the cycle, and I got it during a different interview!

Reactions: 8 users
Rejected. Interviewed 9/14. I'm shocked, thought for sure I would get in here.
I'm sorry man. I thought for sure you were in too. I have full faith that you'll get in somewhere this cycle!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is their a Facebook group for students or anything like that

Just double checking here: We don't need to pay the acceptance fee until Dec. 14 right?

How long did it take to get an II after your app was complete?

It seems like the school works in waves. If you notice, a lot of people received interviews around the same time, but the interview invites had tapered off and yielded to a wave of acceptances.

If you look at the stats of those interviewed first, they're impressive. But now that these showoffs (;)) have been interviewed, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a second wave of interview invites being released soon. This wave-based schema is how many admissions committees operate.

It seems like the school works in waves. If you notice, a lot of people received interviews around the same time, but the interview invites had tapered off and yielded to a wave of acceptances.

If you look at the stats of those interviewed first, they're impressive. But now that these showoffs (;)) have been interviewed, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a second wave of interview invites being released soon. This wave-based schema is how many admissions committees operate.

Hopefully this new wave of II wont consist of individuals scoring 510+ on the mcat. Haha. Congrats to those of you who did, but UNE show some of us underdogs some love!

Hopefully this new wave of II wont consist of individuals scoring 510+ on the mcat. Haha. Congrats to those of you who did, but UNE show some of us underdogs some love!

I got an II and an acceptance with an MCAT of 28. So dont worry lol

Reactions: 1 users
II today!

Reactions: 4 users
I've been complete since late August, and haven't heard anything from them yet :( I do have an update though as I've been volunteering at a hospital as well as shadowing a doctor for 2 months now. Should I call them with this update? Is it too early if I call them next week?

I've been complete since late August, and haven't heard anything from them yet :( I do have an update though as I've been volunteering at a hospital as well as shadowing a doctor for 2 months now. Should I call them with this update? Is it too early if I call them next week?
From experience through graduate school, jobs, etc...

Update letters are pretty useless. People who send them and subsequently receive ii's most likely would have received those ii's regardless.

However, if you are going to send an update letter, I would do it around Thanksgiving (it is still very early). Some general rules/tips to keep in mind:
1. You never call with an update (speaking leads to more errors than writing and, more importantly, nobody wants to sit on the phone hearing about your volunteer/shadowing work:hungover:). Instead, email admissions with a PDF of a well-formatted update letter that ends with "why UNECOM".

2. If you are sending an update, make sure that the update is SIGNIFICANT. Shadowing/volunteering is something that you probably already have on your application. Therefore, more shadowing/volunteering is not going to change anyone's mind. Did you learn something new (e.g. you learned how to take patient hx)? Did you experience something fantastic that adds to your passion to become a physician? If so, send away. But, again, it is probably not going to make a difference. "I saw Dr. X perform heart surgery" or "I held someone's hand while they cried" is not going to make an adcom say, "Now I have to invite him/her!". On the contrary, however, I guess it can't hurt. Just don't expect miracles.

If they like you...they like you. If they don't...they don't (and no update will change that).

Last edited:

I emailed them earlier this fall/late summer asking if I could submit an update and they told me I could only submit an update if I was invited for an interview. I had just started a job as a research assistant at a top medical school. Just happened to get an II the next day so I submitted the update in reply to the interview email.

Interviewing on 10/13 and really looking forward to it

Might those that have interviewed here this cycle have any words of wisdom? How is the day set up and about how long is the entire day?

Might those that have interviewed here this cycle have any words of wisdom? How is the day set up and about how long is the entire day?

It's split into two sessions. I was in the morning session. You get there and hang out and check in in the lobby of the science building there and you can take anything from the cafe there and they cover it. Then you go for an info session, come back and you get split into two groups, one tours and the other interviews and you switch. Interviews were over by noon and some people were done as early as 11 and you're free to leave. Interview was 1 on 1 open file and super super casual and lasted about a half hour. Don't stress about it at all.

If you read through previous few pages of this thread a few of us have posted our interview experiences as well!! Good luck, you'll be great!

II 11/8. 3.3 scGPA, 510 MCAT.

Reactions: 6 users
II! secondary submitted 10/2. 505 ~3.7 sgpa/cgpa.

Reactions: 2 users
Was thoroughly obsessed with this school at my interview and am waiting for anything at all... anyone interview the week of 9/25 have any correspondence yet?

II for 11/9 also! Lizzy M 67 and I submitted my secondary last week!

Reactions: 3 users
How's everyone planning on getting there for the II?

I have family in the area so I'll fly into Portland and go from there. I'm uncertain if they have uber or other public transport options though.

II for 11/10!

Reactions: 2 users
Withdrew my II! Good luck everyone!