University of North Texas (UNTHSC/TCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How dire is it to have a recommendation letter from a DO if you already have an interview set up?

In-state nontrad, submitted TMDSAS on 5/1/2015 and secondary 5/15. Registered pharmacist of 6+ years and pharmacist preceptor in Texas, MCAT 30, undergrad 3.62 cGPA all from UT-Austin, but totally blew pharmacy school GPA thinking I'd never apply for more schooling. DO letter from TCOM grad. Current status "This application is Complete" in the portal & has been that for 3 months now. Haven't heard anything about II. Is it time to "panic" yet (I don't panic, just sayin')? And should I call or email to inquire about it?

Or did I submit my stuff wayyyy too early?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
In-state nontrad, submitted TMDSAS on 5/1/2015 and secondary 5/15. Registered pharmacist of 6+ years and pharmacist preceptor in Texas, MCAT 30, undergrad 3.62 cGPA all from UT-Austin, but totally blew pharmacy school GPA thinking I'd never apply for more schooling. DO letter from TCOM grad. Current status "This application is Complete" in the portal. Haven't heard anything about II. Is it time to "panic" yet? And should I call or email to inquire about it?

Or did I submit my stuff wayyyy too early?
I'm also in a similar situation. I know many people with excellent stats that haven't received II from TCOM yet. Hopefully we will hear back soon

Reactions: 1 user
I'm also in a similar situation. I know many people with excellent stats that haven't received II from TCOM yet. Hopefully we will hear back soon

Biggest problem for us with TMDSAS is that TMDSAS calculates all GPA's into one number, so pharm school GPA drags down overall cGPA and sGPA by a mile or two.

AMCAS lists undergrad and grad/professional school grades separately.

AACOMAS doesn't count grad/professional school GPA, so I think our best chance is OOS DO schools imo.

Interviewed today! It was awesome. Both interviews were very conversational and comfortable. However, I was asked a couple of ethics questions in the second interview. I'm happy to answer questions if anyone has any.
were the interview questions relatively basic? Also, did you stay with a DO student overnight? Anything you'd recommend bringing to interview? Sorry for the bombardment. This is going to be my first interview, and I'm nervous.

were the interview questions relatively basic? Also, did you stay with a DO student overnight? Anything you'd recommend bringing to interview? Sorry for the bombardment. This is going to be my first interview, and I'm nervous.

Hey no problem! It was my first interview too and I was nervous also. The questions were basically what you would expect. For example, "why do you want to be a doctor?"

Some people had a leather folder they carried with them. It looked nice but I don't think it was at all necessary. They give you a folder when you get there and you can take notes in the margins of the handouts they provide.

I did stay with a DO student. My experience wasn't great because they had a baby that woke up 3 times lol. On the other hand, it was great for learning about the school and getting some questions answered beforehand.

I know it is easier said than done, but try not to be nervous. The interviews were comfortable and TCOM extends acceptance offers to roughly half of the people they interview.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
I did stay with a DO student. My experience wasn't great because they had a baby that woke up 3 times lol.

TCOM extends acceptance offers to roughly half of the people they interview.

Haha That is the best medical school hosting story ever... But Hopefully your interview went well!

And how do you know that TCOM extends ~50% acceptance? Sounds reasonable but Just curious!

Hey no problem! It was my first interview too and I was nervous also. The questions were basically what you would expect. For example, "why do you want to be a doctor?"

Some people had a leather folder they carried with them. It looked nice but I don't think it was at all necessary. They give you a folder when you get there and you can take notes in the margins of the handouts they provide.

I did stay with a DO student. My experience wasn't great because they had a baby that woke up 3 times lol. On the other hand, it was great for learning about the school and getting some questions answered beforehand.

I know it is easier said than done, but try not to be nervous. The interviews were comfortable and TCOM extends acceptance offers to roughly half of the people they interview.

Good luck.
Thanks so much!

Haha That is the best medical school hosting story ever... But Hopefully your interview went well!

And how do you know that TCOM extends ~50% acceptance? Sounds reasonable but Just curious!
Just take a look at the incoming class stats on the website, usually interview ~850 and accept ~450 students per cycle.

Reactions: 2 users

Haha surprisingly, being so tired helped me relax a little and I felt pretty good about the interviews. The stats are posted on their website and they also reviewed them in the presentation they gave during the interview day.

I need some honest advice. I've been reading up on this school and I am really impressed by it, especially the research opportunities. I was wondering if anyone knows if starting the special Texas app this late is even worth it? You can send me a private message instead of posting here if you want. Anything helps. Thank you.
My stats:
MCAT 1st try: 25; 2nd try:30
cGPA: 3.7, sGPA: 3.50
From San Diego, CA

Members don't see this ad :)
I need some honest advice. I've been reading up on this school and I am really impressed by it, especially the research opportunities. I was wondering if anyone knows if starting the special Texas app this late is even worth it? You can send me a private message instead of posting here if you want. Anything helps. Thank you.
My stats:
MCAT 1st try: 25; 2nd try:30
cGPA: 3.7, sGPA: 3.50
From San Diego, CA
Your stats are average-ish for the entering classes, but being OOS makes your chances small. Especially at this stage in the game.

Your stats are average-ish for the entering classes, but being OOS makes your chances small. Especially at this stage in the game.
haha yeah. I just found the stats for the 2015 entering class.
Texas residents are lucky they have all these cool options for med schools

Is it too late in the game to expect an II from them if I submitted the last week of June? Going off previous years threads, the people getting II seem to receive them within a few weeks. My gpa is above average while MCAT is average. The silence from schools is killing me :/

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry just yet.

I know I asked before, but has anyone who applied for the ROME program heard back? I have heard nothing but good things about TCOM, and would like to interview here and see it before interview season is done

I know I asked before, but has anyone who applied for the ROME program heard back? I have heard nothing but good things about TCOM, and would like to interview here and see it before interview season is done

Second hand experience, but at my interview in July there were people interviewing for ROME.

I've been eying this school since sophomore year. Primary application sent 5/29 and secondary should be finished and submitted in the next few days. I had a bad freshman/sophomore year with academics. Since then it's been a lot better. Over 2000hrs of hospital experience. No DO shadowing though. Any thoughts?

Overall GPA: 3.4
sGPA: 3.1
MCAT: 30 (VR:8, BS: 9, PS: 13)

Edit:
last ~90 hours GPA: 3.68
last ~50 hours sGPA: 3.588
Do schools look at last 90/50 hours of coursework GPA??

All of your coursework is evaluated.
Yeah I know, I have seen a couple of people mention last 50/60/90 hours of coursework in regards to their GPA, so I was wondering if you have a cGPA of say 3.1 but your last 90 hours has you at 3.77 if they take that into consideration

Yeah I know, I have seen a couple of people mention last 50/60/90 hours of coursework in regards to their GPA, so I was wondering if you have a cGPA of say 3.1 but your last 90 hours has you at 3.77 if they take that into consideration

I have a GPA near that, so later coursework must be taken into consideration.

I don't think there is a formal policy though (at least at TCOM).

They examine grade trends as well, so if they see that you are making a massive comeback, especially in they sciences, then they will take it into consideration

Me staring at my phone all day, everyday since July. Absolute torture. Anyone else in the same boat? Misery sure would love some company right now.

Me staring at my phone all day, everyday since July. Absolute torture. Anyone else in the same boat? Misery sure would love some company right now.

Same. Complete mid to late July and still haven't heard anything from any Texas school regarding IIs.

Have you considered calling to check your status?

My situation was not the same, but back in May they were very friendly over the phone.

Have you considered calling to check your status?

My situation was not the same, but back in May they were very friendly over the phone.

Is it possible for our status to be different than what it shows online?

Me! I've been complete since late June, and silence so far. Am really interested in this school. I was thinking about calling but don't want to come off as pushy.

Is it possible for our status to be different than what it shows online?
I think some people in this thread said that they're portal didn't change but they got a call. I just noticed I had anonymous call blocking on, hopefully that doesn't affect it.

Also, do y'alls status say received or under review?

I think some people in this thread said that they're portal didn't change but they got a call. I just noticed I had anonymous call blocking on, hopefully that doesn't affect it.

"Your application has been received." That's what mine says.

All mine says is "This application is Complete" and has said that since May.

maybe they're behind on apps and its still earlyish hopefully

For the ones who are waiting for iis, What's all your guys stats if you don't mind me asking? Maybe it's Bc they are primarily interviewing high lizzyMs right now?

``
For the ones who are waiting for iis, What's all your guys stats if you don't mind me asking? Maybe it's Bc they are primarily interviewing high lizzyMs right now?
3.86, 28 MCAT. And IDK if thats true, I know several people LizzyM 74+ who have heard back from most other schools except TCOM.

I have an MD friend who never heard from TCOM; another MD I know got rejected post-interview. Didn't hurt their feelings any, but go figure.

Did you dump anonymous callers to voicemail or block them completely? You should be able to check your phone log.

I'm a bit of a nontrad. Undergrad was 3.3ish, SMP was a 3.6, took the new MCAT and got a 506. My first MCAT was barely legal. I haven't really seen many new MCATs with an interview, so whatever sliver of hope I have left is what I'm clinging to now.

I thought you still get voicemails even if you have numbers/anon blocked. Or am I making things up?

"Your application has been received. Please check ....."

Then at the bottom "This application is complete"

(3.6,30) same "complete status." I actually sent an email....asking if everything on my app was ok, and also if it would be possible to receive feedback so I could strengthen my app for next year, if need be..... No response.

I actually talked to the same person (whom I sent email to) about two years ago and they told me ya everything looks great and you are ready etc... So maybe they're just busy or looking at certain applicants at this time....

Edit: was complete 6/11 fwiw

I am in the same boat. I was complete 7/04 and I haven't heard anything. I called a few weeks ago just to check and make sure everything was complete and the woman I spoke with (Stephanie is her name I believe) said that they interview until January. It seems that from previous threads they fill up by November/December especially for OOS (which I am). They have always been really nice on the phone so I can't imagine it would hurt to call.

There is absolutely no harm in calling them once in a while to check your status (although the decision process rests mostly with the committee once your app is marked complete by the admissions office). Best of luck!

Hey guys I am kinda new to the forum as I have really just been a spectator for the past year or so. I wanted to give those of you with just average stats some hope.

I was TMDSAS processed on 9/3, Secondary 9/13 and got a call for a interview on 9/20. (Really excited for the interview in mid October)
My MCAT was a 22 31-percentile (1st attempt) and 505 69-percentile (2nd attempt)
GPA is 3.51 with a BCMP of 3.50 but my last 60 hours are closer to a 3.77 ish.
I have a extensive CV which I think is the high point of my application.

Good luck to everyone!

Last edited:
Hey guys I am kinda new to the forum as I have really just been a spectator for the past year or so. I wanted to give those of you with just average stats some hope.

I submitted my TMDSAS on 9/3, Secondary 9/13 and got a call for a interview on 9/20. (Really excited for the interview in mid October)
My MCAT was a 22 31-percentile (1st attempt) and 505 69-percentile (2nd attempt)
GPA is 3.51 with a BCMP of 3.50 but my last 60 hours are closer to a 3.77 ish.
I have a extensive CV which I think is the high point of my application.

Good luck to everyone!

Congratulations! That is awesome. Are you in-state?