University of North Texas (UNTHSC/TCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
interview yesterday. was really relaxed and easy. hope i get a acceptance

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Should I still send in a letter of recommendation from a DO if I already have a II scheduled?

So If I was submitted early July and haven't heard anything am I already rejected? I keep seeing people who applied after me getting interviews on here with stats not that different than mine.

Reactions: 1 user
So If I was submitted early July and haven't heard anything am I already rejected? I keep seeing people who applied after me getting interviews on here with stats not that different than mine.
I'm in a similar position of applying and being complete in freaking May! I thought I was a really good candidate, with a strong LOR from a TCOM alum. I guess admissions just works funny! I see some other schools at this point of the cycle going back to candidates they put aside from early in the cycle. Fingers crossed I guess. Maybe a letter of interest may help in some way?

Reactions: 1 users
I'm in a similar position of applying and being complete in freaking May! I thought I was a really good candidate, with a strong LOR from a TCOM alum. I guess admissions just works funny! I see some other schools at this point of the cycle going back to candidates they put aside from early in the cycle. Fingers crossed I guess. Maybe a letter of interest may help in some way?

Maybe, I wonder if that ever works at TCOM. I'm over the struggle, about to just apply to the Caribbean! I got waitlisted at 2 schools last year (turned in my apps really late).

For those of you who have already interviewed, do they tell you who you will be interviewing with beforehand?

Same here. I just don't understand what is happening. I have a 29 MCAT, 3.55 overall, 3.43 sci (kind of low I guess) and I was finished by July 2. I don't want to call them up because I'm sure they're quite busy at this time.

Last edited:
Same here. I just don't understand what is happening. I have a 29 MCAT, 3.69 overall, 3.43 sci (kind of low I guess) and I was finished by July 2. I don't want to call them up because I'm sure they're quite busy at this time.

Makes me feel better! our stats are very similar. I look at their avg stats on their webpage and I'm like why can't I get an interview!? Didn't get an interview at all last year, so don't know what they are looking for, though other DO schools said I was perfect I just needed to not apply so late.

Members don't see this ad :)
Makes me feel better! our stats are very similar. I look at their avg stats on their webpage and I'm like why can't I get an interview!? Didn't get an interview at all last year, so don't know what they are looking for, though other DO schools said I was perfect I just needed to not apply so late.

SAME HERE! Literally got no interviews last year because i applied so late. Ive gotten 2 interviews thus far from OOS DO schools so idk what they want :unsure:

@zkahle, did you have a DO letter of rec for the secondary? Congrats on your II btw

Hey guys I am kinda new to the forum as I have really just been a spectator for the past year or so. I wanted to give those of you with just average stats some hope.

I was TMDSAS processed on 9/3, Secondary 9/13 and got a call for a interview on 9/20. (Really excited for the interview in mid October)
My MCAT was a 22 31-percentile (1st attempt) and 505 69-percentile (2nd attempt)
GPA is 3.51 with a BCMP of 3.50 but my last 60 hours are closer to a 3.77 ish.
I have a extensive CV which I think is the high point of my application.

Good luck to everyone!

interview yesterday. was really relaxed and easy. hope i get a acceptance

Congrats on the interview, I hope it went well! I have my interview coming up in a few weeks. I was wondering what students generally wear to interviews at TCOM. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Congrats on the interview, I hope it went well! I have my interview coming up in a few weeks. I was wondering what students generally wear to interviews at TCOM. Any advice would be much appreciated.

PLEASE wear a suit. This is essentially a job interview, at which you would be expected to wear a suit. I've been to 5 II's now (including TCOM) and have seen people without suits and they look out of place and like they lack confidence. I've spoken with a dean of admissions who made an off-hand comment about silently judging people who show up without suits.

Wear something like you're interviewing for a professional job that requires a college degree, and always err on the conservative side. Yes, get a business suit if you don't have one.

PLEASE wear a suit. This is essentially a job interview, at which you would be expected to wear a suit. I've been to 5 II's now (including TCOM) and have seen people without suits and they look out of place and like they lack confidence. I've spoken with a dean of admissions who made an off-hand comment about silently judging people who show up without suits.
I will definitely be wearing a suit! Are all colors allowed, or do you think navy/black/charcoal colors are best? Also, did you bring a purse or some sort of bag with you to the interview to hold a water bottle, mouth wash, a snack etc.?

I will definitely be wearing a suit! Are all colors allowed, or do you think navy/black/charcoal colors are best? Also, did you bring a purse or some sort of bag with you to the interview to hold a water bottle, mouth wash, a snack etc.?
I wore a gray suit with a tie that added a bit of color. Feel free to stray from the black suit, white shirt, and red tie because you will be wearing the same thing as at least 10 other people. You can stand out a little bit, but this isn't the time to make a fashion statement.

Leave your purse in the car. You don't need anything, and there is a decent amount of walking through the day. I guess you could bring something if you felt comfortable leaving it in the conference room.

I have a black suit and I wore a shirt in a brighter color. I did bring a bag to hold my folder, water, napkins in case I spilled stuff on my suit, etc.

I wore a gray suit with a tie that added a bit of color. Feel free to stray from the black suit, white shirt, and red tie because you will be wearing the same thing as at least 10 other people. You can stand out a little bit, but this isn't the time to make a fashion statement.

Leave your purse in the car. You don't need anything, and there is a decent amount of walking through the day. I guess you could bring something if you felt comfortable leaving it in the conference room.

Yeah don't wear the normal black white shirt and red tie.

For mine I wore a gray suit with a light blue shirt and black tie. I brought a portfolio with me that had copies of personal statement application etc. it also had a paper for me to take notes during the day and interview

have any OOS (non-residents) or internationals been given interviews yet?

have any OOS (non-residents) or internationals been given interviews yet?

Yes, I interviewed there over two months go and met a few other OOS applicants as well.

I had two OOS'ers in my interview last Tuesday. There were about 20 or so people total

Hello all, I've been keeping up with this forum for several months now and I finally signed up for an account.

I have a question regarding the status updates in the portal. I interviewed here in mid august (IS) and a few days afterwards my portal changed back to "under review". One week ago (from today) my status changed to "your application has been reviewed". granted, I've already had my interview and it is still before Nov. 15, is this something to worry about? Has this happened to anyone else? any updates of this kind would be much appreciated! Thanks

Hi everyone,

My apologies if this has been asked before, but the physician I shadowed finally sent out the DO LOR today to UNT to complete my file, very late I know. Is there a way I can check the status of the LOR, whether it has been received by the school through the portal? I tried to browse around but I couldn't find a way and don't want to nag Admissions unless there's no other way to confirm its receipt! Thanks!

Hello all, I've been keeping up with this forum for several months now and I finally signed up for an account.

I have a question regarding the status updates in the portal. I interviewed here in mid august (IS) and a few days afterwards my portal changed back to "under review". One week ago (from today) my status changed to "your application has been reviewed". granted, I've already had my interview and it is still before Nov. 15, is this something to worry about? Has this happened to anyone else? any updates of this kind would be much appreciated! Thanks

Last year people correlated that status change with a pending rejection. Hopefully that isn't the case for you!

Hi everyone,

My apologies if this has been asked before, but the physician I shadowed finally sent out the DO LOR today to UNT to complete my file, very late I know. Is there a way I can check the status of the LOR, whether it has been received by the school through the portal? I tried to browse around but I couldn't find a way and don't want to nag Admissions unless there's no other way to confirm its receipt! Thanks!

Only by phone AFAIK.

My application status has always said "complete" before I got the phone call and before & after I interviewed. I wonder why my status hasnt changed much?

Last edited:
My application status has always said "complete" before I got the phone call and before & after I interviewed. I wonder why my status hasnt changed much?

We are talking about the line above the table on the status page, not below.

We are talking about the line above the table on the status page, not below.

Well this is awkward.... :smack:

It says I invited for interview even tho I already interviewed. really hope I get accepted to this school!

Well this is awkward.... :smack:

It says I invited for interview even tho I already interviewed. really hope I get accepted to this school!

Then I have no idea! :)

My top line status went from "invited to interview" to "under review" and has remained that way. The consensus last year is that the "under review" status means either no OOS acceptance or IS pre-match has been decided on (after 10/15 or 11/15 respectively). As TCOM rejects prior to decision date, the change in status to "been reviewed" seemed to indicate a possible rejection decision. This is just what I gathered while reading last years thread. It could all mean nothing.

Hello new recruits. I'm a current first year at TCOM. Sooner than you think, you will have to rank TCOM along with other schools you've interviewed at and I want to make you more well-informed than I was about how grades at TCOM work.

There are a lot of people in medical school that don't care about grades or ranks in medical school for one reason or another. That's fine. For those of you that will, know this: every question on an OMM test is worth 8 times what a question on any medical science test is worth. That means that, on our first OMM test over the history of OMM, you could pass with a 70 and the 30 points that you miss on that test are worth the same as half of the points that the rigorous 5-week neuroscience block we're going through right now is worth.

You probably have been informed of the tight positive correlation that our ranking system has with board scores if you've interviewed, but before deciding to come here before anywhere else you should take a look at the grading system.

Last edited:
You should also know that TCOM will be P/F for the Class of 2020, and that OMM exam questions are worth 8 "points" because you get 1 point just for showing up to class. By doing this, they make getting an exam question correct more valuable than sitting in lecture. OMM exams are also really easy and have a class average of over 90%, so don't worry about them.

P/F or not, there's always a rank somewhere

It is true that every school puts a percentile in your file (and your dean's letter), but it's mostly for purposes of honors and awards. For residency matching, board scores and clinical performance are far more important. (BTW OMM is the easiest class in the curriculum. If you don't like it, learn enough to pass and move on. It is a perennial topic in the osteo forums.)

II (first one!) this morning around 10am! LizzyM <70, reapplicant. Super stoked! I love this school.

Last edited:
Ya so I just got a rejection letter today in the mail. Interviewed early September. Has anyone else gotten the boot ? LizzyM 71

I live here locally so im wondering if a round of rejections went out and i just received it first due to the proximity of the school

A couple days ago i got a thank you letter from El paso, when i got the letter this morning i thought it was gonna be something similar.

A couple days ago i got a thank you letter from El paso, when i got the letter this morning i thought it was gonna be something similar.
Did your portal status change from under review to anything else?

Not sure what i am looking for but portal says
Your application has been reviewed
Application complete

Not sure what i am looking for but portal says
Your application has been reviewed
Application complete
The application has been reviewed status has been implicated as a form of rejection in and of itself.

That does add to its validity.

Sorry for your rejection @Research flow, it is the "has been reviewed" part.

Did you think the interview went alright?

Ya so I just got a rejection letter today in the mail. Interviewed early September. Has anyone else gotten the boot ? LizzyM 71

Geez what is going on this year, I can't even get an interview and they are rejecting people with 70+ lizzyM's?