Western/COMP Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got the secondary today.

What do you think about this prompt? "Explain why the opportunity to study and participate in clinical experiences in Southern California appeals to you." I can't think of anything because I am from Georgia. I know nothing about Southern California.

Its kind of why you want to go there. Could be because of family, want to experience different cultures, or something else.

Members don't see this ad.

Describe your participation in community service activities in a medically underserved or economically disadvantaged community.

This prompt is pretty tough... I just started volunteering at a homeless shelter, and I DO have some things to write about, but I'm not sure I can fill an entire page. What are people with no experience going to do???

Got the secondary today.

What do you think about this prompt? "Explain why the opportunity to study and participate in clinical experiences in Southern California appeals to you." I can't think of anything because I am from Georgia. I know nothing about Southern California.

Look up Western's clinical rotation sites (hint: ARMC, RCRMC), look at demographics (Inland Empire has many socioeconomically disadvantaged Latinos and a sizable Asian population out west).

Describe your participation in community service activities in a medically underserved or economically disadvantaged community.

This prompt is pretty tough... I just started volunteering at a homeless shelter, and I DO have some things to write about, but I'm not sure I can fill an entire page. What are people with no experience going to do???

You don't have to fill up the whole page (actually, I think you should really try to limit yourself to 3/4 of a page single-spaced. It's a lot for one adcom to read). Expand on how you can continue your interest in serving the homeless at Western by referencing some of the community service projects currently running. You need to have service experience prior to medical school; it's just one part of the padding/fluff an application needs.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you that received the secondary, when was your AACOMAS app verified? Thanks!

They probably send them out in batches. I received mine around 7:30 EST last night.

Has anybody heard any complex 1 board scores/pass rates for Western over the past couple years?? On their site they say "a record of consistently high first-time pass rates for COMLEX board exams" and also claim a 100% pass rate for complex 2 (98% passing first attempt) but I still haven't been able to find anything on Complex 1. Any help would be much appreciated.

Does COMP have any PBL - style classes?? I've been trying to find answers online...
I assume that the classes are all lecture-based because I can't find much on PBL

Does COMP have any PBL - style classes?? I've been trying to find answers online...
I assume that the classes are all lecture-based because I can't find much on PBL

Hybrid PBL. You mostly have lectures, but there's a PBL component that really ratchets up come 2nd year with pathophysio of all the systems. Western says it's more guided than other schools' PBL curriculum; they hand out objectives, supplement with required readings, and get everyone reoriented during weekly whole-class meetings.

Hybrid PBL. You mostly have lectures, but there's a PBL component that really ratchets up come 2nd year with pathophysio of all the systems. Western says it's more guided than other schools' PBL curriculum; they hand out objectives, supplement with required readings, and get everyone reoriented during weekly whole-class meetings.

Hmm okay... thanks for the info!

I have a couple of questions about the two Western campuses. I am applying to both and as far as I know, the Northwest secondary invite has not been sent out. But since it is an option in the drop down menu on the Pomona invite, can we just fill out both now anyway?

Also there is a question on the secondary that asks you to state your first choice campus if applying to both. How do they expect you to know if you haven't interviewed at one/both?? For me, I prefer the Lebanon location but since it is a new school I would rather attend at Pomona unless the interview in the NW impresses me. Just wondering how others answered this question...

I have a couple of questions about the two Western campuses. I am applying to both and as far as I know, the Northwest secondary invite has not been sent out. But since it is an option in the drop down menu on the Pomona invite, can we just fill out both now anyway?

Also there is a question on the secondary that asks you to state your first choice campus if applying to both. How do they expect you to know if you haven't interviewed at one/both?? For me, I prefer the Lebanon location but since it is a new school I would rather attend at Pomona unless the interview in the NW impresses me. Just wondering how others answered this question...

Last year some people waited for the secondary invite for Nw and others didn't. It was about 1 week after the ca campus came out. But last year the Pomona campus was doing all the admissions so it might be different.

I don't know if it will be the same for this year but last year since Pomona was doing admissions if they selected you for an interview then they would have you interview at top choice. So basically you could only interview at one of the schools at least I never heard of anyone interviewing at both. But once you were accepted and paid deposit your app for the other campus got withdrawn.

So as for not knowing which you would prefer, you probably won't get to interview at both if it's the same as last year. I'm going to comp-Nw and love the small town and oregon. We follow the same schedule as ca campus.

Some benefits for ca campus: clubs are set up, Montclair clinic set up

Benefits of Nw: brand new building, small town so no traffic and a lot cheaper rent, class size is only 100 so get to know people better.

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year some people waited for the secondary invite for Nw and others didn't. It was about 1 week after the ca campus came out. But last year the Pomona campus was doing all the admissions so it might be different.

I don't know if it will be the same for this year but last year since Pomona was doing admissions if they selected you for an interview then they would have you interview at top choice. So basically you could only interview at one of the schools at least I never heard of anyone interviewing at both. But once you were accepted and paid deposit your app for the other campus got withdrawn.

So as for not knowing which you would prefer, you probably won't get to interview at both if it's the same as last year. I'm going to comp-Nw and love the small town and oregon. We follow the same schedule as ca campus.

Some benefits for ca campus: clubs are set up, Montclair clinic set up

Benefits of Nw: brand new building, small town so no traffic and a lot cheaper rent, class size is only 100 so get to know people better.

Awesome thanks for the info. I prefer the NW as long as clinical rotation quality will be the same. Do you know anything about that comparison? I've read somewhere that its the "same school, just different campus" so I am hoping Pomona's reputation for good clinicals will be carried on at the new site. I looked at the proposed list of sites but know nothing of the quality.

Last edited:
Awesome thanks for the info. My family is in Oregon, and I am moving to Portland in the fall so I would definitely like to stay in the NW as long as clinical rotation quality will be the same. Do you know anything about that comparison? I've read somewhere that its the "same school, just different campus" so I am hoping Pomona's reputation for good clinicals will be carried on at the new site. I looked at the proposed list of sites but know nothing of the quality.

They already have a lot of good clinical sites set up because of the Nw track and they are setting more up for the 1st class. The clinical sites here are varied with some in main areas like Portland and others in smaller areas like Corvallis. The benefit of the small town is that you will most likely get to do more because of less residents. But if you want the big city it's available.

It will help you if you apply to the or campus because of your ties to the Nw. The people are trying to increase the number of physicians in the Nw and with your ties it will help.

Hey everyone, it asks about teaching. I was a volunteer for the National Ski Patrol and was an instructor for many years. While I didn't teach in a school, I have taught groups of 3-250 people, and effectively to boot... can I use this in the prompt about "do you have teaching experience"?

I taught many sports camps and tutored through dental school. I put no and then filled in an explanation.

That's a possibility. I am applying only at Lebanon, wondering if anyone can tell me any health problems or issues specific to the PNW besides seasonal depression (cloudy days) and mold-related health issues? I am trying to find something interesting to say about why I want to do clinical medicine in the PNW... any thoughts?

That's a possibility. I am applying only at Lebanon, wondering if anyone can tell me any health problems or issues specific to the PNW besides seasonal depression (cloudy days) and mold-related health issues? I am trying to find something interesting to say about why I want to do clinical medicine in the PNW... any thoughts?

If i were you I would focus more on the area and culture rather than any specific diseases because there aren't really. Also talking about all the rain we get here could be seen as a negative point.

You could talk about why you want to live in the Nw, if you have family over here, if you want to explore another part of the country or different cultures.

I have a feeling it will be a partial duplication of "why choose this school"... Oh well I guess....I was also going to see if there are positions listed as being rural-needs areas... I figured I'd add that if there are...

Got the secondary today.

Are these two the only essay prompts this year?? thanks.

Are these two the only essay prompts this year?? thanks.

While shadowing a physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician?

What criteria did you use to select a medical school and why does Western U/COMP meet your high level of expectation?

While shadowing a physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician?

What criteria did you use to select a medical school and why does Western U/COMP meet your high level of expectation?

:) thank you.

if you could tell me about character limits, that would be great.

Last edited:
Tried submitting the application, but was told an error while processing my credit card information. Tried 2 cards already, none worked. Anyone else experienced this problem?

Tried submitting the application, but was told an error while processing my credit card information. Tried 2 cards already, none worked. Anyone else experienced this problem?

I've been trying to submit all weekend and ran into that problem... I think I'm going to try and call Western tomorrow morning and see what's up.

Anyone else having a difficult writing these 4 essays??
I'm stressed because they want it back in 10 days. Kinda a short period of time to allow us to write FOUR excellent essays...

On a related note... do you think ADCOMs really take into consideration the writing style of the essays? As long as the content is good, does the style really matter all that much?

Got the secondary today.

I would talk about how you want to do a rotation at UCLA so that you might be able to see celebrities! Haha I'm kidding..I've no idea yet.

For those of you applying to both campus, are you keeping your replies the same for the first 3 essay prompts? Are the admission committee the same for both campus?

I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice.

I am applying to both MD and DO programs. Western is my top choice for DO. With these AACOMAS numbers, could someone let me know if I would make a good applicant?

cGPA: 3.2
sGPA: 3.69
MCAT: 28R (11PS 7VR 10BS)

I have set up some DO shadowing but unfortunately have not started yet. I think my other EC's are pretty decent, lots of clinical volunteering (500hrs) research (1.5 yrs) publication, other community service (homeless shelter, american diabetes association etc).

Is it too late to apply? Is Western out of my league at this point?

I'm really stuck on these prompts.

Two questions

1. Does the 1 page limit apply to each essay or to all of your responses combined?

2. Why Western? What makes Western a great choice? I chose it because I've heard Cali is nice and because of the reputation. That's all I know so far. I'll check the website...but many times the website only tells you so much about a school.

Anyone else having a difficult writing these 4 essays??
I'm stressed because they want it back in 10 days. Kinda a short period of time to allow us to write FOUR excellent essays...

On a related note... do you think ADCOMs really take into consideration the writing style of the essays? As long as the content is good, does the style really matter all that much?

The answer to your question about ADCOMs is YES.

They care about the writing style and the content. Spend the extra time writing quality essays. It can make a big difference. Think about it. Secondaries are yet another way for you to distinguish yourself from other applicants. Imagine how many boring essays they must read. Give them another reason to hold on to your application.

I applied last year to Western and breezed through the essays. I was rejected. I spend a lot of time on AZCOM and SOMA essays - I was interviewed at both schools. At both interviews the faculty commented on how my PS was "inspirational". I spend a lot of time on that as well. If your essays are moving and compelling, you will draw a lot more positive attention to your application.

A book I read that helped me personally was Medical School Essays That Made a Difference by The Princeton Review. It has a bunch of sample essays from other applicants and gives ideas on how to structure your essays, what questions to ask yourself in the process, etc.

Last edited:

isnt the second question almost the same as why you want to apply to western?

They care about the writing style and the content. Spend the extra time writing quality essays. It can make a big difference. Think about it. Secondaries are yet another way for you to distinguish yourself from other applicants. Imagine how many boring essays they must read. Give them another reason to hold on to your application.

I applied last year to Western and breezed through the essays. I was rejected. I spend a lot of time on AZCOM and SOMA essays - I was interviewed at both schools. At both interviews the faculty commented on how my PS was "inspirational". I spend a lot of time on that as well. If your essays are moving and compelling, you will draw a lot more positive attention to your application.

A book I read that helped me personally was Medical School Essays That Made a Difference by The Princeton Review. It has a bunch of sample essays from other applicants and gives ideas on how to structure your essays, what questions to ask yourself in the process, etc.

Thanks for your input! Everything you said makes perfect sense :)

I'm really stuck on these prompts.

Two questions

1. Does the 1 page limit apply to each essay or to all of your responses combined?

2. Why Western? What makes Western a great choice? I chose it because I've heard Cali is nice and because of the reputation. That's all I know so far. I'll check the website...but many times the website only tells you so much about a school.

1. One page per response, though you should be succinct and aim for 1/2 to 3/4 of a page.

2. Website has a lot of information, actually. Look up rotations, clinical rotations, student groups, etc.

Could anyone provide insight as to what my chances are for getting into WesternCOMP late in the application cycle? I will likely not be "complete" until late October.

-taking the MCAT 8/5, sorry to have only an approximation, but I'm predicting a 28-31 based on practice.
-AACOMAS sGPA 3.59, cGPA 3.50
-1 year full-time research experience, under an NP for the most part
-1 1/2 years full-time AmeriCorp volunteer at community health center (where I also shadowed an MD and a PA for a few months each, but only one day a week so I don't think this is significant)
-plans to start shadowing a DO next month and to take biochemistry

I'm not sure how long AACOMAS takes for verification, but I don't think I'll be able to submit everything until beginning of September. So by the time they verify, I get secondaries, and send them back, I'm thinking October will be it. I have read on this forum that Western is one of the more competitive schools. Is it something not worth holding my breath over? Thanks for your input, y'all

Heh, well hopefully they appreciate writing that's to the point, because that's just how I roll.

That said, I made a case for everything I liked by backing it up with my experiences as often as possible.

I submitted my secondary on Monday and it still hasn't been entered in as processed. Has anyone's secondary app been processed yet?

I submitted my secondary on Monday and it still hasn't been entered in as processed. Has anyone's secondary app been processed yet?

I'm in the same boat...I submitted mine back on July 20th maybe and am still under "submitted." I emailed admissions yesterday....is this the same for anyone else? Hope so

Submitted July 18 and not processed yet.

Apparently there is technical difficulty, should be cleared up by the end of the week.

I'm in the same boat...I submitted mine back on July 20th maybe and am still under "submitted." I emailed admissions yesterday....is this the same for anyone else? Hope so

How are you able to check your status?

Could anyone provide insight as to what my chances are for getting into WesternCOMP late in the application cycle? I will likely not be "complete" until late October.

-taking the MCAT 8/5, sorry to have only an approximation, but I'm predicting a 28-31 based on practice.
-AACOMAS sGPA 3.59, cGPA 3.50
-1 year full-time research experience, under an NP for the most part
-1 1/2 years full-time AmeriCorp volunteer at community health center (where I also shadowed an MD and a PA for a few months each, but only one day a week so I don't think this is significant)
-plans to start shadowing a DO next month and to take biochemistry

Your application, if the MCAT comes back solid, should be decent. Obviously, the higher your MCAT, the better your chances. I don't know how MCAT scores are averaging this cycle so I can't give you a target range on what's acceptable, but maybe somebody else in the thread can.

1 day/week volunteering is probably okay since you did it for a relatively long time, but, if you're not too busy this year more cannot hurt you. Don't think that volunteer opportunities have to be medically-related or involve clinical time - that sort of experience will be covered by your shadowing hours. It's totally fine to do something that you're passionate about. Plus, it'll give you something to talk about during interviews that's not related to medicine. Yes, that can be important. Personal example - I love food, so I did deep prep and cooked at a soup kitchen every Sunday for a year. It was awesome.

Shadowing - how much are you getting? The general consensus is that a week's worth is good. If you can't get a week from the DO you're going to shadow, expand - shadow other specialties and other doctors (shadowing MDs is find too, so long as you have the DO shadowing opportunity down). If you have time, do as much as you can. There's always more to see, so it might be good for personal growth.

Finally - don't give up. I didn't think I had what it took to get into WCOMP and ended up mailing in my secondary in late November. I got an interview invite after the new year rolled around, interviewed in February during the final interview day, and got an acceptance in March (I think... feels like a lifetime ago). A surprisingly large number of people from my interview group got accepted.

Last edited:

You really should figure this out, not just for the essay, but for yourself. What makes you want to come to a school? What factors are important to you? It will help you select schools that will be right for YOU. Speaking from experience - you do not want to end up at a school that doesn't fit you, no matter how "good" the school is. Every school, like every person, has an atmosphere and campus culture. You cannot ignore it. Every single time you show up to class, to take a test, to interact with colleagues, faculty, and administration, that will be present. Reputation and matriculation grades are markers that every pre-med looks at, but, those are only surface attributes.

How did I figure it out? I looked in the CIB and made a list of schools that interested me. Then, I looked at the list and tried to figure out why those schools caught my eye.

Anyone still waiting for their application to be moved from "submitted" to "processed" ?? I submitted mine last Wednesday, and the app still hasn't been processed. The "help" button says:

Applications listed here [under submitted apps] have not been entered by Admissions. This could take 24-48 business hours after you "Complete" your application. If your application has not moved to "Processed Applications" after 48 hours, please contact the Admission's Office at 909-469-5335 or email at [email protected]

I called the office today and left a voicemail. Hopefully it's processed soon!

They told me they are having some technical problems but should be fixed by the end of the week.

if i live near usc campus, would the commute be too much or do some students live close to 30-40 min away from campus?

Submitted secondary today. Those essays were all I could think about for the past week. Thank Karma they're done! ;-)