Western University - Lebanon (COMP) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My friend just got an interview invite today. Scheduled for next week!
Maybe your friend meant another school or you misheard. The very last interview group was about a week ago and there will not be more interviews this season.

Are the admissions staff not on campus this week?
Some staff are on campus this week, but I'm nearly 100% sure Dr Pham isn't on campus this week and he's in charge of admissions.

Members don't see this ad.

Did you find out only by mail? it seems as though some acceptances are called and others hear only by mail?

Papa, I actually received my letter earlier in the day before the phone call. Best of luck to you! :)

You can always email Jeanie if you have questions about the status of your application, she responds very quickly
Well they usually meet the following Thursday after the interview, but from other people getting accepted on the thread it looks like the calls start the second Thursday and into the Monday of the next week. Just an observation :)

Agreed. I did a fair amount of "observation"myself, and it seems as if our notifications branched further than the 15-18 day mark. Additionally, I did call Jeannie, and she was very helpful in maintaining updates and providing information on the acceptance/decision making process. COMP-NW as a whole was very transparent and wonderful to work with as an applicant. I second Frozen Entropy's post! Good luck to you all, and I look forward to seeing you in July! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my letter today. I am an alternate :(

Anyone have any idea how many alternates end up getting a spot in the class?

Congratulations future classmates! I'm deferring a year, but I look forward to meeting everyone in 2015. I'm also a Portland native, so if anyone needs a day or two in the city, I am happy to give recommendations and/or meet up for brunch/beer :)

Congratulations future classmates! I'm deferring a year, but I look forward to meeting everyone in 2015. I'm also a Portland native, so if anyone needs a day or two in the city, I am happy to give recommendations and/or meet up for brunch/beer :)
I will be attending, when did you decide to defer? I may also be waiting until the 2015 to begin but will be moving to the area this summer either way. We should definitely met up, could use a locals advice on searching for places to live!

Reactions: 1 user
Did you get offered a spot from the waitlist? If so when did you interview?

No, just trying to figure out housing for next year. I don't want to commit to a year long contract only to find out I actually get a spot this year. I was thinking one option would be just go for this housing opportunity and on the off chance I do get in, defer a year.

I did call and learn they will rank the list into high, medium, and low after Spring Break (this week). I also learned everything about my application was great except the interview, bombed that apparently. Not sure how much that weighs in the ranking but seems like it hurts my chances a lot. Can't really send an update letter to fix that.

No, just trying to figure out housing for next year. I don't want to commit to a year long contract only to find out I actually get a spot this year. I was thinking one option would be just go for this housing opportunity and on the off chance I do get in, defer a year.

I did call and learn they will rank the list into high, medium, and low after Spring Break (this week). I also learned everything about my application was great except the interview, bombed that apparently. Not sure how much that weighs in the ranking but seems like it hurts my chances a lot. Can't really send an update letter to fix that.

Interesting they said that they do not really do any kind of ranking at COMP-NW for the alternates. Who did you speak to? Did the person you spoke with break down your interview remarks and or other parts of your application for you? That would be really good info to know how we did on each segment. Did you have a feeling after your interview that it did not go well or was it a surprise to you after your conversation with COMP-NW? I felt ok after my interview but it can be really hard to know sometimes...

I will be attending, when did you decide to defer? I may also be waiting until the 2015 to begin but will be moving to the area this summer either way. We should definitely met up, could use a locals advice on searching for places to live!

Papa, I thought you were on the alternate list? Did you already get an acceptance off the alternate list?

Members don't see this ad :)

I feel like we had a reasonable amount of people in our class come off of the waitlist.

Flying up next friday to check out my apartment and sight see.

Any notable areas I should check out near Corvallis/Albany/Lebanon?

Notable for housing, or notable just for fun?

For Fun---Already got my apartment set up---Cascade Ridge.
Looking for sight seeing.
There's McDowell creek waterfalls just outside of Lebanon going towards Sweet Home. If you're cool with driving a little farther, the coast is only an hour and a half away. If you go to newport I would suggest going to the newport aquarium or to the Devil's Punchbowl State Park. Go to the beach access just north and if you go during low tide you can walk around inside the Devils Punchbowl. Very cool

Interesting they said that they do not really do any kind of ranking at COMP-NW for the alternates. Who did you speak to? Did the person you spoke with break down your interview remarks and or other parts of your application for you? That would be really good info to know how we did on each segment. Did you have a feeling after your interview that it did not go well or was it a surprise to you after your conversation with COMP-NW? I felt ok after my interview but it can be really hard to know sometimes...

I spoke with Jeannie Davis. It was pretty much an exit interview. She pulled my file and told me where my strengths and weaknesses were. The only negative she could find were the panel interview comments and she read those to me. The MMI went fine. Coming out of the interview I felt about 80% confident I had done well. One of the interviewers on the panel I just sensed some antagonism or, that's probably too strong a word, I just wasn't connecting with them. And I sort of suspected when I was waitlisted that the interview hadn't gone as well as I had hoped. Going in to it I was pretty confident, having successfully landed a competitive job via interviewing. Unfortunately I didn't learn this in time to adjust my strategy for the other schools I interviewed at, so this isn't my only waitlist. It will definitely prove valuable in the next cycle if I have to reapply.

I spoke with Jeannie Davis. It was pretty much an exit interview. She pulled my file and told me where my strengths and weaknesses were. The only negative she could find were the panel interview comments and she read those to me. The MMI went fine. Coming out of the interview I felt about 80% confident I had done well. One of the interviewers on the panel I just sensed some antagonism or, that's probably too strong a word, I just wasn't connecting with them. And I sort of suspected when I was waitlisted that the interview hadn't gone as well as I had hoped. Going in to it I was pretty confident, having successfully landed a competitive job via interviewing. Unfortunately I didn't learn this in time to adjust my strategy for the other schools I interviewed at, so this isn't my only waitlist. It will definitely prove valuable in the next cycle if I have to reapply.

Thank you for all of the info and feedback. That is a great attitude to have about wanting to continue to build upon experiences and if necessary be ready for next year.

There's McDowell creek waterfalls just outside of Lebanon going towards Sweet Home. If you're cool with driving a little farther, the coast is only an hour and a half away. If you go to newport I would suggest going to the newport aquarium or to the Devil's Punchbowl State Park. Go to the beach access just north and if you go during low tide you can walk around inside the Devils Punchbowl. Very cool

Silver Falls State Park is also a great destination as well and it is less than an hour drive from Lebanon. Definitely do the 7 mile trail with the 10 waterfalls.

I know of at least 12 of us that were accepted off of the wait list, and believe there may be a couple more. I was wait listed myself and called Jeannie Davis to find out where I could improve on my application and did my best to improve on those areas, and sent in additional volunteer hours, course work, and letters of recommendation. I would also strongly encourage you to send in a Letter of Intent and get all of these in ASAP. They started accepting student off the wait list around April of last year. Good luck to all.

I know of at least 12 of us that were accepted off of the wait list, and believe there may be a couple more. I was wait listed myself and called Jeannie Davis to find out where I could improve on my application and did my best to improve on those areas, and sent in additional volunteer hours, course work, and letters of recommendation. I would also strongly encourage you to send in a Letter of Intent and get all of these in ASAP. They started accepting student off the wait list around April of last year. Good luck to all.
Thank you for the response. I did already call and talk to Jeannie and my L of I has been sent. Now I wait :)

Just talked to the school about the timeline for people on the alternate list. Jeannie told me that the committee will be meeting on the 22nd to go over the alternate pool. She also mentioned they don't rank individuals, but they do place people in different tier groups. So if you call after the 22nd, they will indicate what group you are in. Hope this gives some people an idea of what's going on and maybe when to expect a decision.

Visited Lebanon on Friday--and man o man is this going to be a hard transition for me.
Hope yall like to play Settlers of Catan or Dominion.
Don't worry, you'll be studying most of the time

Visited Lebanon on Friday--and man o man is this going to be a hard transition for me.
Hope yall like to play Settlers of Catan or Dominion.
We play dominion. I've got the original and seaside.
You try pirates cove, Stone Age, seven wonders, ticket to ride, betrayal at house on the hill, or small world?
Needless to say, we like board games. I play just about every Sunday. Lol

We play dominion. I've got the original and seaside.
You try pirates cove, Stone Age, seven wonders, ticket to ride, betrayal at house on the hill, or small world?
Needless to say, we like board games. I play just about every Sunday. Lol

Negative--Been on Risk and Settlers of Catan for a while. My group is just expanding to new ones. I hear Ticket to Ride is really fun.

Perhaps we can play sometime! Def would love that.

This is the truth. You'll get some break time to visit corvallis, portland, salem, hiking destinations, climbing, etc. Plenty to do here, just not in Lebanon. Not a bad town, just small.

Just talked to the school about the timeline for people on the alternate list. Jeannie told me that the committee will be meeting on the 22nd to go over the alternate pool. She also mentioned they don't rank individuals, but they do place people in different tier groups. So if you call after the 22nd, they will indicate what group you are in. Hope this gives some people an idea of what's going on and maybe when to expect a decision.

I've heard rumor that there is a deferral list that supersedes the alternate list and has about 10 people on it. Most schools send out more acceptances than they have space available, as many people hold multiple acceptances and will reject some offers. In COMP-NWs case, however, more people accepted the offers than space was available. After they get through the deferral list, they will get to the alternate list. My sources tell me there is little chance that they will make it to the alternate list this year..

I've heard rumor that there is a deferral list that supersedes the alternate list and has about 10 people on it. Most schools send out more acceptances than they have space available, as many people hold multiple acceptances and will reject some offers. In COMP-NWs case, however, more people accepted the offers than space was available. After they get through the deferral list, they will get to the alternate list. My sources tell me there is little chance that they will make it to the alternate list this year..
Bummer, I really really fell for this school when I visited. Still holding out hope. Thanks for the info though, gives me a better picture of the current situation.

Bummer, I really really fell for this school when I visited. Still holding out hope. Thanks for the info though, gives me a better picture of the current situation.

Was your source a student? A faculty member? An admissions member? It seems odd that they would accept about 15 students off of their alternate last year and this year be 10 students deep on deferred acceptance. Still trying to hold out hope for this year lol...

I think you're asking ButterButter, because the only person I've talked to is Jeannie.

Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if what ButterButter said is actually true, anomalies happen.

Was your source a student? A faculty member? An admissions member? It seems odd that they would accept about 15 students off of their alternate last year and this year be 10 students deep on deferred acceptance. Still trying to hold out hope for this year lol...

It was a faculty member. I wouldn't lose out on hope, though. I interviewed in March and was alternate-listed as well. I know a first-year that was accepted the week before classes start. I know that wouldn't be ideal, but people fall off the acceptance list for a variety of reasons and at all times during the cycle. Also, AACOMAS opens up again May 1, and interviews will start up again late summer/early fall. Just make sure you hit send the day

This doesn't really make sense to me. If they have deferrals from last year those should already be accounted for in this years coming class at the beginning. The school would then have given out acceptances with those deferrals in mind, not sure why deferrals would be tacked on at the end alongside alternate list candidates, but I'm sure I could be wrong, just a thought.

This doesn't really make sense to me. If they have deferrals from last year those should already be accounted for in this years coming class at the beginning. The school would then have given out acceptances with those deferrals in mind, not sure why deferrals would be tacked on at the end alongside alternate list candidates, but I'm sure I could be wrong, just a thought.

They were acceptances offered this year. The class was filled, however, so they are deferred until NEXT year, if a spot doesn't open up for them this year.

You'll have more free time than you'd think. You just have to use it wisely. More the reason to make sure you are close to things you like to do. If you're going to take a Saturday afternoon off, you don't want to spend 3.5 hours sitting in a car to Portland and back. If you're into small-town stuff the immediate area has everything you'll need.

The waitlists go bananas in May/June/July...I will chop off my right testicle if the same doesn't happen this year. I know 3 people that were accepted just a few days before our white coat ceremony.

I would really like to find out sooner rather than later... Hunting for jobs and moving to Oregon just in case I get the call though...

The waitlists go bananas in May/June/July...I will chop off my right testicle if the same doesn't happen this year. I know 3 people that were accepted just a few days before our white coat ceremony.

I hope you're right. But just in case you're not, I'll get the brine ready..

Just withdrew my acceptance here, so good luck to those on the waitlist! Such a wonderful school and great staff. :)

What did you have to do to defer? Did you sign an agreement?

What did you have to do to defer? Did you sign an agreement?

I called Jeannie and told her my situation, and she said it would be fine. To defer officially, I just had to send her an email/letter explaining why, and she sent me a form for the class of 2019. I still had to pay my two deposits, and I have another one in Feb 2015.

That's it! I would just start with giving Jeannie a call.

Any recent news? acceptances on/off the waitlist? Still waiting to hear...

Congratulations! Do you mind if I ask when you interviewed and received your original waitlist notification? I spoke to the office and was told I'm in "good spot" on the waitlist...I'm trying to gauge what exactly that might mean.

Accepted off the waitlist! And So **excited**!! :soexcited:
Congrats! Excited to have you join the family!

Just out of curiosity, do you speak Portuguese? Just wondering because of your username.
I am fluent in Spanish (that was actually my major) and I have always wanted to learn Portuguese.

Congratulations! Do you mind if I ask when you interviewed and received your original waitlist notification? I spoke to the office and was told I'm in "good spot" on the waitlist...I'm trying to gauge what exactly that might mean.

Not at all. I interviewed in March and was waitlisted about a month after the interview. I think if they said that, you should hold on to hope. It all depends on people dropping their spot, which is impossible to predict, but there is hope!