Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I also got rejected. Really tough interview I thought.

Members don't see this ad.

So, I interviewed on 10/11, but I still haven't received my letter yet either! I wonder what's taking so long. I called one of the admissions officers today, but she wasn't helpful at all. She said the letters haven't been sent out yet, which is obviously untrue, since some people on here have already received theirs. Also, I received an email about a week ago to attend a WesternU online seminar. Did the rest of you get that, including people put on hold? I'm really starting to get frustrated with their scatter-shot approach of letting people know whether they're accepted or not. Apparently some people are getting phone calls, some are getting emails from the office of financial aid, and some are waiting forever to receive a letter in the mail. What gives?

So, I interviewed on 10/11, but I still haven't received my letter yet either! I wonder what's taking so long. I called one of the admissions officers today, but she wasn't helpful at all. She said the letters haven't been sent out yet, which is obviously untrue, since some people on here have already received theirs. Also, I received an email about a week ago to attend a WesternU online seminar. Did the rest of you get that, including people put on hold? I'm really starting to get frustrated with their scatter-shot approach of letting people know whether they're accepted or not. Apparently some people are getting phone calls, some are getting emails from the office of financial aid, and some are waiting forever to receive a letter in the mail. What gives?

I feel you, also interviewed 10/11. I called admissions and they said my file was still under review.

Honestly, they are very disorganized and inconsistent. A friend of mine who is a current WesternU student says that is the norm at Western once your an actual student, and the "front" of pre-med admissions is a thing of the past lol.

Hopefully we will get a letter soon, and it won't be a rejection.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's so frustrating because they didn't mention any of this on interview day. They made the decision process seem so straight-forward. They said after 10-15 business days, you should be notified of their decision. That's crazy to hear our files could still be under review almost a month later. What could they possibly be waiting on? I mean, are they just looking at our files everyday, and they just can't make a decision? lol.

It's so frustrating because they didn't mention any of this on interview day. They made the decision process seem so straight-forward. They said after 10-15 business days, you should be notified of their decision. That's crazy to hear our files could still be under review almost a month later. What could they possibly be waiting on? I mean, are they just looking at our files everyday, and they just can't make a decision? lol.

Well regardless of why or what, hopefully we still get positive results from it!!

I think it is just because maybe some reviewers work faster than others, or something to that effect. I'm sure it is not a sign or omen that is bad/good. I do dislike though that people who interviewed well after us, are already getting decisions. But that is life, and we have no control over that so no point worrying about it :)

I'd really like to know soon though, before I am forced to book a flight for my next interview, which is cutting it close to the last reasonable day to book without having to pay way more.

Well regardless of why or what, hopefully we still get positive results from it!!

I think it is just because maybe some reviewers work faster than others, or something to that effect. I'm sure it is not a sign or omen that is bad/good. I do dislike though that people who interviewed well after us, are already getting decisions. But that is life, and we have no control over that so no point worrying about it :)

I'd really like to know soon though, before I am forced to book a flight for my next interview, which is cutting it close to the last reasonable day to book without having to pay way more.

Yeah, I totally agree with you on all of that! I have another interview coming up in 2 weeks that I wouldn't have gone to if I got accepted here. So hopefully those letters are on their way, and will show up in the mail tomorrow! :)

And I'm sure you're right about it not being a good or bad sign that it's taken this long. Also, you're right that it's pretty frustrating that people that interviewed almost 2 weeks after us are getting decisions. I guess there's no point in fretting over it because Western's gonna handle the admissions decisions however they're gonna handle them, and we have no control over that. I'm still optimistic, though!!

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, I totally agree with you on all of that! I have another interview coming up in 2 weeks that I wouldn't have gone to if I got accepted here. So hopefully those letters are on their way, and will show up in the mail tomorrow! :)

And I'm sure you're right about it not being a good or bad sign that it's taken this long. Also, you're right that it's pretty frustrating that people that interviewed almost 2 weeks after us are getting decisions. I guess there's no point in fretting over it because Western's gonna handle the admissions decisions however they're gonna handle them, and we have no control over that. I'm still optimistic, though!!

I hear you :) I'm waiting on 2 interview decisions, and i'm hoping i get a Yes from at least one of them by this Friday, that way I don't have to book my flight to NY for the next interview and let someone else deserving have that slot.

I hear you :) I'm waiting on 2 interview decisions, and i'm hoping i get a Yes from at least one of them by this Friday, that way I don't have to book my flight to NY for the next interview and let someone else deserving have that slot.

Yeah, I'm pretty much in the same boat! I'm waiting on 2 decisions, and I have to go to Missouri on 11/14 and Florida the week after that. Good luck!!

I have a stupid question. I'm filling out the secondary for this school and it asks to list the grade level, length of time, and subject for teaching experience. In regards to grade level, are they asking the grade level taught (ie teaching high school) or what grade level I was enrolled in (ie teaching while in undergrad)?

Also, since they're asking for grade level, would training experience from jobs not count as teaching experience?

I have a stupid question. I'm filling out the secondary for this school and it asks to list the grade level, length of time, and subject for teaching experience. In regards to grade level, are they asking the grade level taught (ie teaching high school) or what grade level I was enrolled in (ie teaching while in undergrad)?

Also, since they're asking for grade level, would training experience from jobs not count as teaching experience?
I had 2 years of tutoring when I applied, so when I filled out my form, I made a specific statement that I knew it wasn't formal experience but used similar skills during my time tutoring. I proceeded to answer the question in a way similar to teaching with statements like "I tutored freshman introductory physics..."

Will Western give out the verdict of the decision unofficially over email or phone once the letters are sent out?

I interviewed 10/11 and really need to find out soon before having to book a flight for another interview, and they said the letter will only be sent out later this week. I am also an international..so mail takes time.

Will Western give out the verdict of the decision unofficially over email or phone once the letters are sent out?

I interviewed 10/11 and really need to find out soon before having to book a flight for another interview, and they said the letter will only be sent out later this week. I am also an international..so mail takes time.
I'd call and tell them you are International and was wondering if a decision was made for you yet because you need to book an additional international flight if not.

Yeah, I'm really starting to cut it close with my next interview too. I know SDN is a small sample size to go by, but so far, I think 2 people on here have said they received acceptance emails and 1 got a phone call. Other than that, it seems like people are just getting the letter. Maybe their new procedure is to send an email? I hope so. I'd also love to hear from some more people on here about how they initially found out they were accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I'm really starting to cut it close with my next interview too. I know SDN is a small sample size to go by, but so far, I think 2 people on here have said they received acceptance emails and 1 got a phone call. Other than that, it seems like people are just getting the letter. Maybe their new procedure is to send an email? I hope so. I'd also love to hear from some more people on here about how they initially found out they were accepted.
First interview group / First wave of acceptances here.. was by snail mail.

I know rejections are email.

I interviewed on 10/23 and so far all I've gotten was a financial aid email that implied I was accepted. Should I call Western and see if they're going to send out a legit acceptance letter? I want to know what my next steps are!

I interviewed on 10/23 and so far all I've gotten was a financial aid email that implied I was accepted. Should I call Western and see if they're going to send out a legit acceptance letter? I want to know what my next steps are!
That wont do. I called and basically, they said they have no idea. I am just short of driving to the school admission office to find out.

That wont do. I called and basically, they said they have no idea. I am just short of driving to the school admission office to find out.
So asking over the phone for an unofficial decision is a no-go?

I guess you can try and ask, it wont hurt. you may get lucky if the right person, with the know-how, happen to pick up the phone. If magic falls your way, update for us.

I am not in the same situation as you guys, this isn't my cycle. But how frustrating that must be! It seems bad enough waiting let alone sitting on the edge of your seat after financial aid indicating you may have been accepted...and you don't know if you can jump up and down and celebrate or what. I'm hoping for you guys that this does mean acceptance and that you find out soon.

I am not in the same situation as you guys, this isn't my cycle. But how frustrating that must be! It seems bad enough waiting let alone sitting on the edge of your seat after financial aid indicating you may have been accepted...and you don't know if you can jump up and down and celebrate or what. I'm hoping for you guys that this does mean acceptance and that you find out soon.

I hope so too. It would be really cruel of them to send out a financial aid email (that congratulates us on being accepted) only to send us a rejection letter.

10/11 and still haven't heard.

The fact that you got a text makes me a wee bit jealous haha, helps to have connections :p

Tempted to call..
Besides the text, I just got the email about financial aid. The email mentioned how I was accepted, but I still haven't received anything in the mail. Connections definitely help!! I was just stoked to find out so I didn't have to send in a deposit to another school!

If you interviewed 10/11 I'm sure you should be hearing back soon...

Impressions from people who interviewed today?

Man, so many guys wearing black suits. Looked like a funeral! I kid. Just stay relaxed during interviews and don't be scared of Dr. Safaoui.

Did everyone who was accepted receive an financial aid email, on a date close to when their letter was post-marked?

I haven't received any Financial Aid email at all, and I was accepted back in September

There goes my theory of finding a connection between a financial aid email and an acceptance decision in the letter.

I feel kind of disappointed, not that I would have cared even if it took two months to make the decision - just that if you tell someone exact dates (10-15 business days), at least try to keep them - or provide updates. Some of these more established schools could take a page out of MU-COM's book, they have done a great job of keeping applicants in the loop and doing things electronically.

Has anyone received a rejection via letter, or is that always done by email? The admissions office did tell me that letters will be mailed out by the end of this week. So my assumption is that i'm getting an acceptance or a waitlist.

Man, so many guys wearing black suits. Looked like a funeral! I kid. Just stay relaxed during interviews and don't be scared of Dr. Safaoui.

Haha I interviewed today as well and noticed the same thing!

I think it went well for the most part. The MMIs were.... Interesting. Was Dr. Safaoui the first presenter?

I got the westernu online seminar e-mail and was accepted. Got the e-mail before my decision.

I got the westernu online seminar e-mail and was accepted. Got the e-mail before my decision.
Yah I got that email too, but so did a friend who was recently rejected.

Guess there's no easy correlation to find for this detective ;)

There goes my theory of finding a connection between a financial aid email and an acceptance decision in the letter.

I feel kind of disappointed, not that I would have cared even if it took two months to make the decision - just that if you tell someone exact dates (10-15 business days), at least try to keep them - or provide updates. Some of these more established schools could take a page out of MU-COM's book, they have done a great job of keeping applicants in the loop and doing things electronically.

Has anyone received a rejection via letter, or is that always done by email? The admissions office did tell me that letters will be mailed out by the end of this week. So my assumption is that i'm getting an acceptance or a waitlist.

Maybe sending the financial aid email to accepted applicants is a brand new thing they're doing? I just wonder, because it seems like people have only been getting those very recently, according to this thread. Maybe they just started doing that for the 10/23 interviewees, and now it's their new policy, but who knows? This process is so unorganized. I called the other day, and the admissions officer I talked to couldn't even tell me when the letters would be sent out for sure. She said they would be "sent out soon". I asked her if "soon" meant this week, and she said she wasn't sure, but maybe they would be. Just wondering, how long ago did they tell you the letters would be sent at the end of the week?

Yah I got that email too, but so did a friend who was recently rejected.

Guess there's no easy correlation to find for this detective ;)

This is also really discouraging. That email for the seminar was so misleading. It said: "You are receiving this email because you have either been invited for an interview or offered a seat to WesternU’s College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific (COMP) program!" So when I read that, I knew I wasn't receiving this for an II, because I had already had my interview. That made me think with nearly 100% certainty that they had already accepted me, and I just hadn't received the letter in the mail yet. She kind of addressed that at the beginning of the seminar, but I still think that's pretty bad.

Maybe sending the financial aid email to accepted applicants is a brand new thing they're doing? I just wonder, because it seems like people have only been getting those very recently, according to this thread. Maybe they just started doing that for the 10/23 interviewees, and now it's their new policy, but who knows? This process is so unorganized. I called the other day, and the admissions officer I talked to couldn't even tell me when the letters would be sent out for sure. She said they would be "sent out soon". I asked her if "soon" meant this week, and she said she wasn't sure, but maybe they would be. Just wondering, how long ago did they tell you the letters would be sent at the end of the week?
They said Tuesday letters will be sent out by the end of the week.

Lets move this discussion to PM

Sigh, at this rate, I will have to pay 2000$ deposit to Touro Cali. Cannot afford to study out of state for many reasons. But since my life is in Orange County, Western is still my top choice. if Western offers me a seat later on, that will be 2 grands I will never see again.:(

Sigh, at this rate, I will have to pay 2000$ deposit to Touro Cali. Cannot afford to study out of state for many reasons. But since my life is in Orange County, Western is still my top choice. if Western offers me a seat later on, that will be 2 grands I will never see again.:(
Well, think of that 2000 an insurance deposit to make sure you can still become a doctor ;)

When is your touro deposit due?

When is your touro deposit due?
Accepted Oct 31st, they gave two weeks for deposit, so it is due on Nov 13th. I will have to send the check by Nov 10th to make sure it arrive in time. That would give until this Monday to receive the letter from Western (highly doubt it will happen in time)

Accepted Oct 31st, they gave two weeks for deposit, so it is due on Nov 13th. I will have to send the check by Nov 10th to make sure it arrive in time. That would give until this Monday to receive the letter from Western (highly doubt it will happen in time)

Have you thought about just calling them? It maybe emailing the dean.

If you tell them western is you're number one choice and that this could save you a couple thousand bucks, they might just let you know their decision, especially if the letter has already been mailed out.

EDIT: never mind. I read your previous posts.

Last edited:
I got my acceptance letter in the mail today. I received a financial aid email earlier this week (Monday) stating I was accepted but got the official letter this afternoon. I interviewed on 10/23. Good luck, everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Was your letter also dated monday? I'm guessing my letter will be a waitlst based on the posts here. Didn't recieve a rejection email on monday but also not a financial aid email, soso likely a waitlist decision.

Thanks for the insight mr.fish.

Here's to not being on a 3rd waitlist :(

Pro Tip: Tell her you love Nicki Minaj's Anaconda = instant acceptance.

I got my acceptance letter in the mail today. I received a financial aid email earlier this week (Monday) stating I was accepted but got the official letter this afternoon. I interviewed on 10/23. Good luck, everyone!
Same. Congrats!

Anyone accepted in the last 2 weeks, NOT receive the financial aid email? I'm hoping that isn't the foolproof connection that will ultimately end up with my letter in the mail being a waitlist lol.

Anyone accepted in the last 2 weeks, NOT receive the financial aid email? I'm hoping that isn't the foolproof connection that will ultimately end up with my letter in the mail being a waitlist lol.

I got accepted this week but haven't got the email yet

I got accepted this week but haven't got the email yet

May I ask your interview date?

That is actually reassuring, leaves some hope that my letter could contain the words im hoping for!

May I ask your interview date?

That is actually reassuring, leaves some hope that my letter could contain the words im hoping for!

I interviewed on 10/23. Accepted 11/5

Reactions: 2 users
Hey Everyone,

Was just wondering how much of a chance I have at getting a II at Western. I was surprised when I got invited to do a secondary since I was concerned about being below the usual numbers. I submitted my secondary same day that I received it on 11/6.

Stats are: Non-trad California resident, southeast asian
cGPA 3.18, sGPA 3.0
MCAT 25
7 great letter of recs from DOs/MDs/Research/Science/Non-science
Unique healthcare ECs, Years of paid clinical work.

Western is at the top of my list so I'm really hoping to get an interview here.