WesternU c/o 2027 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
can i please be added to the good news list from MSU?
Yes!!!
Cut Out Good Vibes GIF by Njorg

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know how much the alternate list moves? What’s the likelihood of being taken off?

Alternate here- that makes 8 rejections and now one waitlist- manifesting good news but it keeps getting hard to stay positive

Members don't see this ad :)
Alternate, while I’m glad that I wasn’t rejected, the alternate list barely moved last year and it was a lot of false hope. I’ve accepted the offer but will most likely take myself off if I’m ready to move to CSU for school and haven’t heard anything

So frustrating haha. I have a strong science GPA, a masters degree, and it’s my second time applying
It’s ok, you’re not alone there, this is my second time applying and I both retook classes and did part of my masters (will be finishing it after I finish vet school though since right now I do plan on going to CSU). I was told by the admissions counselor that with my retake grades my application looked very strong, oh well!

Alternate status as well! Honestly, I was expecting another rejection so this is better than that.

I was placed as an alternate! I just accepted it the offer! I was hoping for better news.

got an alternate status portal update as well!! 99.99% gonna decline it :) good luck everyone, I’m cheering all of you on!! 🤗

Reactions: 2 users
alternate as well! i think that makes like a good 15 of us now...

Alternate! Not a rejection, I’m taking this as a win

Alternate, accepted it, but have no hope.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
lets both hope for good news from MSU! :xf:
Yes!!! I’m the most anxious about that decision, I’m really hoping they send it out soon! I’m dying 😂 fingers crossed for the both of us!!!

• Care
Alternate status! Hoping for the best & that they pull a lot of people off the waitlist :)

Second time alternate 🥲. I'm not sure how to feel right now haha - I am happy to still have a chance, but sad that it's only a chance. Need to remember that this is still an achievement! 😤

alternate 🫠 anybody have more insight to how it works? so we accept and just wait? do we still pay a deposit?

Alternate as well- i'm in state. Trying to stay hopeful but it's hard. Does anyone have an idea of how many people they put on the waitlist?

i’m half inclined to just decline so i can start planning the rest of my year accordingly instead of being stuck in limbo for another 4 months

Reactions: 5 users
I feel like i’m seeing way more alternates that I am acceptances tonight! I hate how they said it could be till August if we find out we got pulled off

i’m half inclined to just decline so i can start planning the rest of my year accordingly instead of being stuck in limbo for another 4 months
I think if you are able to handle/afford whatever losses you might get (I.e. financial) if you are pulled off the waitlist, you should stay on the waitlist but prep as if you’ve been rejected in case you do need to do another round. This was the path I took last year, and I was accepted to 2 different programs, offered more interviews than last cycle, and placed on 2 alternate lists (this one included). This is just my own personal experience and opinion though

How do you accept the alternate status? I’m struggling to figure it out lol.

It seems so bizarre that we are not allowed to know what number on the waitlist we are. This is the only school (that i’ve heard of) that keeps it secret. Cruel of them to have us wait and have virtually no hope. At least with a number we could discern if the list is actually moving or not. Hate this process more than anything. It should not be this difficult to get a degree in something we’re all clearly passionate about.

It seems so bizarre that we are not allowed to know what number on the waitlist we are. This is the only school (that i’ve heard of) that keeps it secret. Cruel of them to have us wait and have virtually no hope. At least with a number we could discern if the list is actually moving or not. Hate this process more than anything. It should not be this difficult to get a degree in something we’re all clearly passionate about.
I’m on 6 waitlists and none have given me a rank so they are not the only ones. I get it if they don’t use a ranking system though but if they do it would be nice to know your place. But also I can see how they don’t want to give false hope to someone by them being high up but still not getting in or if someone is really low down it doesn’t mean they won’t get in so I can see why they wouldn’t want to share.

Oregon does this too and im waitlisted there :( its not too too uncommon but it definitely does suck and feels like ur left in the dark

I’m on 6 waitlists and none have given me a rank so they are not the only ones. I get it if they don’t use a ranking system though but if they do it would be nice to know your place. But also I can see how they don’t want to give false hope to someone by them being high up but still not getting in or if someone is really low down it doesn’t mean they won’t get in so I can see why they wouldn’t want to share.
im on penn and wisconsins waitlist. they both give ranks. it helps a lot more than being left not knowing.

Hi! Long time lurker.

Is anyone still waiting for their decision? It seems like everyone/the majority got their letters by now.

Maybe they pull alternates by order of last name? I hope so because mine starts with a C lol.

Hey guys. So the number of alternate position at Western is not a thing. They try to keep a well rounded class. So if a horse person declines their spot, they will try to find someone in their waitlist that also has horse experience and other similarities. Atleast that’s what they told me when I was in your position.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys. So the number of alternate position at Western is not a thing. They try to keep a well rounded class. So if a horse person declines their spot, they will try to find someone in their waitlist that also has horse experience and other similarities. Atleast that’s what they told me when I was in your position.
Were u waitlisted and then made it off?

Alternate peeps!! So I was digging into last years forum, trying to find some hope and clarity-
  • The dates people got pulled off the waitlist last year were 5/26, 6/9, 6/22. And then whoever doesn't show up at the orientation also gets replaced by an alternate so that's why the email said to wait until August.
  • Every time a spot opens up they send out a continued interest email to survey who's still waiting for a seat.
  • If you get pulled off, you get notified by the same email format we received our results that brings us to our status page
  • It seems like in the previous year there are ~30-50 people who were waitlisted and only a few got pulled off. Many other schools didn't even pull off anyone from their waitlist so this is not a Western thing
  • Some said that it's a replacement system (finding a person with similar interest/skills to replace the previous person) and others claimed that its the dean and associate dean making the decision of who to pull off the list
I hope these info from last year helps. Quoting someone from previous year's forum: "Even though we get waitlisted, I think it's also important to remember that a majority of applicants didn't get waitlisted, so that should be an accomplishment in itself." Sending good vibes!!

Reactions: 11 users
Alternate! I'm staying hopeful. Congratulations to everyone accepted and good luck to everyone on the alternate list! We've made it this far, it's not over yet.

I’m an in state alternate, hoping I make it in. My friend from 2 years ago was a success story of being pulled off the alternate list and into a seat!

Alternate peeps!! So I was digging into last years forum, trying to find some hope and clarity-
  • The dates people got pulled off the waitlist last year were 5/26, 6/9, 6/22. And then whoever doesn't show up at the orientation also gets replaced by an alternate so that's why the email said to wait until August.
  • Every time a spot opens up they send out a continued interest email to survey who's still waiting for a seat.
  • If you get pulled off, you get notified by the same email format we received our results that brings us to our status page
  • It seems like in the previous year there are ~30-50 people who were waitlisted and only a few got pulled off. Many other schools didn't even pull off anyone from their waitlist so this is not a Western thing
  • Some said that it's a replacement system (finding a person with similar interest/skills to replace the previous person) and others claimed that its the dean and associate dean making the decision of who to pull off the list
I hope these info from last year helps. Quoting someone from previous year's forum: "Even though we get waitlisted, I think it's also important to remember that a majority of applicants didn't get waitlisted, so that should be an accomplishment in itself." Sending good vibes!!

there were some people in april too right?? thank you for doing this!

I did not. I was accepted my second round. This is true for a huge chunk of my class
Ahh thats so wonderful. Thats what i was hoping for this year but alas, im on the waitlist again 🥲 good luck to all of us

Anyone on here get accepted but are going to a different school anyway?

I am leaning towards another school but it is out of state so I'm waiting to tour it at the end of this month!

I was accepted here and at midwestern. I am going to tour the school this Friday (midwestern) I’ll likely decline a seat at one of them depending on how the tour goes… it’s my first year applying so I don’t know much about the differences in schools etc. so I’ll know prob by April 1st ish… does anyone know if western is doing a preview day soon/ accepted students day?

I was accepted here and at midwestern. I am going to tour the school this Friday (midwestern) I’ll likely decline a seat at one of them depending on how the tour goes… it’s my first year applying so I don’t know much about the differences in schools etc. so I’ll know prob by April 1st ish… does anyone know if western is doing a preview day soon/ accepted students day?
Western has always been my top school bc I live in LA… but midwestern has a lot of offer too so I’m stumped.

Western is doing a preview day this Saturday 3/11