William Carey University - College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone!

I am just curious and would like to ask some questions.

First of all, what makes you excited to go to medical school, and why specifically William Carey?

Second, (yes, it is far ahead in the future), how do you plan on getting through sleep deprivation, especially during rotations/internship and residency? And what is the difference between in-call out-call in-house outhouse, and all that? I can't find any information on it on the web.

Personally, if I don't get at least 6 1/2 hours of sleep a night, I become loopy and socially disabled the rest of the day. That's the only thing that's holding me back from applying to medical school.

Third, what's the difference between Osteopathic residencies and Allopathic residencies? I can't find anything in these forums or on the web, but someone told me that Osteopathic residencies are more relaxed. Thoughts???

Any info would be appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone!

Second, how do you plan on getting through sleep deprivation, especially during rotations/internship and residency? And what is the difference between in-call out-call in-house outhouse, and all that? I can't find any information on it on the web.
You have house calls, aka out-call, and then there's inpatient which is perhaps what you were referring to by in-call. There's what's called "being on call" where you're at the mercy of the hospital or clinic's policy as to what your responsibility exactly is. I believe it varies from place to place. Nobody performs at their peek when they're sleep deprived. Although some individuals can make do with very little sleep, others might sleep tremendous amounts and are yet more efficient with the time they are awake. For those in the latter group that attend medical school, they wouldn't need to change their sleep habits assuming they have the right study habits. But to answer your second question more directly, lots of coffee.

Hi everyone!

First of all, what makes you excited to go to medical school, and why specifically William Carey?

Third, what's the difference between Osteopathic residencies and Allopathic residencies? I can't find anything in these forums or on the web, but someone told me that Osteopathic residencies are more relaxed. Thoughts???
No way. Write your own personal statement. haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Just finished my AACOMAS application!! Sending my transcripts on Friday and submitting after that. I am so excited that this time is finally here, and William Carey is my number one choice as a 7th generation Mississippian. With a little luck, in several months I will be a part of WCU-COM Class of 2015.

going to hattiesburg may 19th to look for housing for the fall...does anyone have any ideas for good apartments or areas to look at?

No way. Write your own personal statement. haha
Thanks for the info and advice. I am actually starting Optometry school in the fall, but I respect your wish not to be open too publicly.

I guess I am more curious as to what drives people to medical school, especially since rotations will toss you around in all sorts of medical fields before you settle down with one residency (which might not be the one you wanted to get into when you were little).

With fields like Optometry, Dentistry, and Pharmacy, you know what you're going to get. What drives you in med school when you won't even know your exact specialty until much later in school? Or are you fascinated by practically all fields in medicine?

Thanks for the info and advice. I am actually starting Optometry school in the fall, but I respect your wish not to be open too publicly.

I guess I am more curious as to what drives people to medical school, especially since rotations will toss you around in all sorts of medical fields before you settle down with one residency (which might not be the one you wanted to get into when you were little).

With fields like Optometry, Dentistry, and Pharmacy, you know what you're going to get. What drives you in med school when you won't even know your exact specialty until much later in school? Or are you fascinated by practically all fields in medicine?

I was only kidding earlier. If you look at some of my earlier post, I believe I might have mentioned some of my personal reasons for wanting to attend WCU-COM.

Here's a spiel on osteopathic medicine. Osteopathic medical schools offer instruction in a readily accessible treatment modality known as manual manipulations that are left alone by allopathic medical schools. The osteopathic philosophy is really not much different from what you see in advertisements for most hospitals today. Treating patients, not symptoms and all that schmaltzy hoopla. I've been told that osteopathic medical schools offer a unique perspective on medicine for whatever that's worth. It's more hands on, some would call it more traditional, there's a bigger picture approach to treating the patient. Here's the bottom line, everything you want your physician to be, an osteopathic physician is that and more. I can honestly say I've never met a DO I didn't like. Now in the interest of avoiding generalizations and for the sake of modesty, I will state that some MD's aren't all that bad.

Getting back to the reason of why someone wants to become a doctor. It is after all just a job. So for me, I try not to have delusions of grandeur about it or over romanticize the position too much. I realize it has its crappy moments, however it does grant you the daily privilege to partake in one of the most esteemed roles in a society (OK, truth time. I do indulge in a flight of fancy every now and then). Each physician is their own individual person with their own reasons for getting into medicine. I like the allure of family medicine because it's a naturally diversified field. As the saying goes, variety is the spice of life. Personally I think specialization is for insects and evolution, not medicine. I couldn't work solely on the eyes, teeth, feet or any one part of the body or for that matter, take an occupation that stifles what it is to be human and explore the wide expanse for new realms of interest.

Last edited:
going to hattiesburg may 19th to look for housing for the fall...does anyone have any ideas for good apartments or areas to look at?
Focus your search around the USM campus or the neighborhoods far north of WCU and east of USM. I'm not so sure about the apartments located near WCU's campus (i.e., safety not guaranteed).

Ya i didnt get a great feeling about the apartments closest to WCU. its hard coming from such a long ways and having no idea about good areas in hattiesburg!

Ya i didnt get a great feeling about the apartments closest to WCU. its hard coming from such a long ways and having no idea about good areas in hattiesburg!
Most of the complexes near the school are for low income families, at least the ones that you pass on the way to the school coming from 49. I'd just get an apartment guide at a gas station and go from there. Mine is on Hardy street and I love it...only downside is the traffic, but you learn the back ways pretty fast to avoid that.

Great post, creativename; that's some good insight on Osteopathy and Family Medicine. I guess I am more of the "specialty" kind of guy (hence, me doing Optometry), and I heard it's harder to specialize in something like Ophthalmology as an Osteopath (with only 11 residencies in the country) than an Allopath. So that got me concerned for those wanting to specialize as an Osteo. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Great post, creativename; that's some good insight on Osteopathy and Family Medicine. I guess I am more of the "specialty" kind of guy (hence, me doing Optometry), and I heard it's harder to specialize in something like Ophthalmology as an Osteopath (with only 11 residencies in the country) than an Allopath. So that got me concerned for those wanting to specialize as an Osteo. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.
Not totally true. There may only be 11 osteopathic residencies for opth, but Osteo students can participate in the Allopathic match too.

Not totally true. There may only be 11 osteopathic residencies for opth, but Osteo students can participate in the Allopathic match too.
Ah, very interesting fact. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah, very interesting fact. Thank you!

I wish I knew some stats from past years of the osteo students that matched into allo/osteo ophtho residency programs. I had no idea there were only 11 osteo ophtho residency positions in the nation. That's a startlingly low number. Or is this actually the number of osteo ophtho programs out there? I guess I could be misreading what you wrote. Overall though, I think your decision to go into optometry is the smartest path to doing what you love and that's what's important.

Does anyone know the current number of deposits paid (or class size)?

I am desperately waiting for an interview invite, but have not heard anything in several weeks. Will they continue interveiwing in June or July?

thanks and congrats to all of those who have been accepted!

I am desperately waiting for an interview invite, but have not heard anything in several weeks. Will they continue interveiwing in June or July?

I'm really not sure, but I think maybe about at least half is filled since the facebook post says that 32 deposits were sent in on Feb 25, and it's been a long time since then.

I think you should call/email Emily and hear directly from her.

There are 60 members on facebook's WCU-COM Class of 2014.
So I'm guessing at least 60.

I think they plan to end interviews by the end of May.

well i guess that's bad news for me :(, i thought they were still sending out interview invitations. i will have to call the school for an update on my status.

If you don't mind driving 15 minutes of so, look outside the Hattisburg area, exp Oak Grove or Petal

I agree with Creativename, don't look around WCU. There are lots of apartments, if you prefer apts rather than houses, off of Lincoln Road and Hardy street (West of 49)

I wish I knew some stats from past years of the osteo students that matched into allo/osteo ophtho residency programs. I had no idea there were only 11 osteo ophtho residency positions in the nation. That's a startlingly low number. Or is this actually the number of osteo ophtho programs out there? I guess I could be misreading what you wrote. Overall though, I think your decision to go into optometry is the smartest path to doing what you love and that's what's important.
According to this website, it seems like there are 12 residencies, with each one accepting 1 to 2 positions a year (with the exception of Vegas having 5 in 08).

http://www.aocoohns.org/pdf/OPH_RESIDENCY_LISTrev.1.2009.pdf

I guess it's not too bad. I would definitely like to know their stats so as to gauge where one would need to stand in medical school and on the boards. Maybe I'll e-mail the programs...

Last edited:
Does anyone know if they are interviewing anyone after May 13th? I'm wondering if that is the last day of interviews in May..and they will start making decisions after then.

According to this website, it seems like there are 12 residencies, with each one accepting 1 to 2 positions a year (with the exception of Vegas having 5 in 08).

http://www.aocoohns.org/pdf/OPH_RESIDENCY_LISTrev.1.2009.pdf

I guess it's not too bad. I would definitely like to know their stats so as to gauge where one would need to stand in medical school and on the boards. Maybe I'll e-mail the programs...

Thanks for the source. Good find. Eleven programs is much better, if not still low. I know that residency spots vary in availability from year to year depending on several factors. For instance, if a program doesn't fill all of its openings it could lose funding and approval for the number of unfilled positions the next year (i.e., fill them or lose them). You could also have vacancies created for any number of reasons (residency swap, death, etc).

If you don't mind driving 15 minutes of so, look outside the Hattisburg area, exp Oak Grove or Petal

Twin Oaks apartments are located out towards Oak Grove, and they are really nice. The commute to WCU is around ten minutes and they are more family oriented which is good if you are gonna be spending most of your time studying. However, if you prefer the college scene then you should look at places around USM.

Does anyone know if they are interviewing anyone after May 13th? I'm wondering if that is the last day of interviews in May..and they will start making decisions after then.

I interviewed on the 11th, and they told us that the 13th was their last day for interviews.

This is meant for the WCU-COM class of 2014 - for those interested in contributing content of any kind there is a project website currently under development at http://www.MSDOstudents.com
Check it out and for those who have been accepted go ahead and register with the site. You have to be a registered user in order to access the forum, clinical sites, and notes service. Registration request will only be considered for accepted students.

If there are any problems registering please send an email to [email protected].

Thanks

I had an interview May 4th and I still haven't heard anything! Has anyone heard any news?

I had an interview May 4th and I still haven't heard anything! Has anyone heard any news?
I'm pretty sure you won't find out anything until Friday at the earliest. You will definitely hear something next week.

Hey got accepted today as well, got a call from Dr.Murphy. I was wondering where people are looking for apt's and if anyone would be interested in having a room mate, it will definitely help lowering the rent :)

A friend of mine from Jacksonville, FL got the call Friday from the Dean, Dr. Murphy. He was accepted. He interviewed on May 13th. He is so excited about attending WCU COM.

He does not post on SDN.

I wonder if this means there are letters in the mail for the decision deferred group......

I wonder if this means there are letters in the mail for the decision deferred group......

The deferred group won't find out until Thursday of Friday....I'm pretty certain.

I just saw that the Facebook group is up to 72 members.

hey all! I am not so great with facebook and I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to tell me how to find and join the group for the WCU-COM class of 2014?? Also, the financial aid lady mentioned to me the other day that some of the class were able to secure outside scholarships. I do not know where to begin looking and google is not being helpful. Does anyone have any suggestions???

Hey! The facebook is: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=243977417119&ref=ts

If that link doesn't work just search for WCU-COM. The group is private I believe so once you join you'll have to wait a little to be approved & see the group page. :)

I've started looking into outside scholarships as well but have had no luck finding anything yet. :/ Guess we gotta look harder!

Yea, if you've gotten your direct loan application into WCU'S financial aid office and you've signed the MPN at www.studentloans.gov and applied for any additional funds through a Grad PLUS loan on that same website then you're pretty much covered for the year. Your next step as with all of us that refuse to sit idly by as the debt pile climbs into the stratosphere is to seek out small grant monies. Look into the different categories that may apply to your circumstance, future objectives, and ability to write essays for free money. http://www.collegescholarships.org/grants/

I'm sure you've thought about this already but just in case it hadn't occurred to you. You could apply for a 3 year military scholarship. But be sure to look into the military medical forums on SDN before committing as it is not something to be entered into lightly. Basically, don't do it just for the money.

I want to say that since the school will not be "fully" accredited until our class graduates the NHSC scholarship is not available to us. It's due on the 1st of June though if you still want to give it a shot. http://nhsc.hrsa.gov/scholarship/apply.htm

Are you sure about this? It is available to select as an option when filling out an application.

I stand corrected.
Thanks Irishfan. I wish I wasn't so presumptuous. Kind of too late now though being only 1 day left to apply and all.

Yea, if you've gotten your direct loan application into WCU'S financial aid office and you've signed the MPN at www.studentloans.gov and applied for any additional funds through a Grad PLUS loan on that same website then you're pretty much covered for the year. Your next step as with all of us that refuse to sit idly by as the debt pile climbs into the stratosphere is to seek out small grant monies. Look into the different categories that may apply to your circumstance, future objectives, and ability to write essays for free money. http://www.collegescholarships.org/grants/

I'm sure you've thought about this already but just in case it hadn't occurred to you. You could apply for a 3 year military scholarship. But be sure to look into the military medical forums on SDN before committing as it is not something to be entered into lightly. Basically, don't do it just for the money.

I want to say that since the school will not be "fully" accredited until our class graduates the NHSC scholarship is not available to us. It's due on the 1st of June though if you still want to give it a shot. http://nhsc.hrsa.gov/scholarship/apply.htm

Thanks for the advice!

I hope this is the week the deferred people hear something. *fingers crossed* The Facebook group has been hovering at 76 members.

I hope this is the week the deferred people hear something. *fingers crossed* The Facebook group has been hovering at 76 members.

True, it would be nice to have the class filled up soon. I believe the reason there are still so many people missing from facebook is due to the delay in receiving accepted students' deposits. Plus I think a few of those Stan Marsh types are in the class as well. You know, the anti-facebookers.

I just got a letter stating that I was placed on the alternate list. Went from deferred to alternate. Looks like more waiting.

Last edited: