TUCOM-CA Discussion Thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you email Dr. H? I know he said you needed to email him in order for him to send you an email with your status.
oooo ya I forgot about that, thanks! it is coming snail mail too though right?

Members don't see this ad.

honestly im not to upset about not getting accepted. I did get accepted elsewhere so if all else fails I will go there which i like the school and area as well... it was gonna be a tough choice deciding between NV and CA... i still have 2 more interviews and one of them is at my top choice

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the tips. After further consideration, I think I am going to fly out Sunday afternoon for my interview on Monday and fly back Monday night. Unfortunately, while I've been figuring out what to do, plane tickets have raised $150!! I don't really have time mid-November for a longer trip. I think I'll probably stay at the Mariott for the shuttle. Just curious, does TUCOM-CA offer student hosts for the night before the interview? I can't remember if I heard that somewhere....

How long did it take after your secondary to get your interview scheduling?? I sent mine in mid september and kinda getting anxious.(29N-12BS 11PS 6V, 3.7GPA, 3.7 SciGPA)

i have an interview at TUCOM-CA soon and i was wondering if anyone had any info about the rotation sites and residency match placements, or where i could find this info?

Last edited:
The matchlist is all over SDN and also on their website. Just do some digging and you'll find it.

Hey guys! I interviewed today and I am really surprised by what I saw. (thankfully the fog cleared up and the sunshine came through) The campus is small but it feels homey. The buildings were really nice from inside and the facilities are great. The anatomy lab barely smells because they have a great fan system and the OMM lab has new tables. It was cool to see students on campus and in OMM class. The students that we met were very nice and friendly and they really seemed like the liked the school a lot. They said that their class was close and family like which is a different feel for medical school. They aren't cut-throat competitive and work together. Our interview group was great! There were some very interesting people that were in my group. I was a lot more into the school after I visited then from just reading a lot of these posts. The area is still developing which is one down-fall of the campus. I overall liked the school and the feeling I got from all the faculty was very warm and welcoming as well :oops:) Hopefully I will get in!! We will hear back next friday, which is a great turnaround. PM me if you have any questions

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! I interviewed today and I am really surprised by what I saw. (thankfully the fog cleared up and the sunshine came through) The campus is small but it feels homey. The buildings were really nice from inside and the facilities are great. The anatomy lab barely smells because they have a great fan system and the OMM lab has new tables. It was cool to see students on campus and in OMM class. The students that we met were very nice and friendly and they really seemed like the liked the school a lot. They said that their class was close and family like which is a different feel for medical school. They aren't cut-throat competitive and work together. Our interview group was great! There were some very interesting people that were in my group. I was a lot more into the school after I visited then from just reading a lot of these posts. The area is still developing which is one down-fall of the campus. I overall liked the school and the feeling I got from all the faculty was very warm and welcoming as well :oops:) Hopefully I will get in!! We will hear back next friday, which is a great turnaround. PM me if you have any questions

After hearing many negatives, I am glad that you are the opposite. My interview is coming in two weeks, so could you share about those interview questions? How long do they give you to answer each of your questions? I know it's like a panel setting, so do they ask one question to let all of you answer, or they ask specific questions for yourself? Do you know how many seats are left so far?
Thanks and Good Luck!

Yeah I live about an hour away from the campus. I went on the tour about a year ago.

Coming from Salt Lake City eh? $$$$$$$. If it's the college you want, then it's worth every penny. haha. 20 people, eh? Hope it's not a Cessna.

Wyoming. I have to fly to Salt Lake first on a plane that seats like 20 people, haha. It looks like you're from CA. Is that where you're from now? Have you been able to tour the campus or anything?

After hearing many negatives, I am glad that you are the opposite. My interview is coming in two weeks, so could you share about those interview questions? How long do they give you to answer each of your questions? I know it's like a panel setting, so do they ask one question to let all of you answer, or they ask specific questions for yourself? Do you know how many seats are left so far?
Thanks and Good Luck!

So they ask specific Qs from your app, so make sure you review it well. I would go to the interview feedback section for Touro-CA at SDN for more specific details about the exact quest. I thought it was very helpful! Also each person in the panel asks one or two questions to each interviewee. They pretty much go down the line so that each person on the panel has a chance to ask all the student interviewees questions one at a time. you do not answer the same questions. I know they have 140 seats open total but they didnt say how many have been filled. When they review interviewees there is no limit on the amount they can take now. There are also three waitlist levels: High, medium, Low. They take almost all of the people from high but last year they didnt get through the waitlist. Medium is iffy and if your on low then u have no chance.

Can anyone out there recommend a hotel (besides the marriot!) to stay in? I'll be flying into SFO and renting a car so I'd rather be as close to the school as I can be. The palce does not have to be great digs I'll be flying out mon night.

Can anyone out there recommend a hotel (besides the marriot!) to stay in? I'll be flying into SFO and renting a car so I'd rather be as close to the school as I can be. The palce does not have to be great digs I'll be flying out mon night.

Go to hotels.com and plug in Touro's address. It will display the best prices, guest reviews, and distance from Touro of each hotel.

Thanks and Good Luck!

It is important to note what year students you are talking to as well. The first years were all much more optimistic and cheery. I've never met anyone at any school say they disliked the place. The second years seemed to have lost the lust for the place when I was there. Perhaps it was because I just finished at NSU a few days before, but I thought the facilities were crap to average. I'm yet to be in a modern anatomy lab that smells much to begin with. It just felt like a high school building to me I guess. My interviewer did choose Touro-CA over some other DO schools but it sounded like he did because his best friend got in too, and he wanted to live on the west coast. (perfectly ok reasons) The faculty were kind and nobody was bitter. Some were just not as excited.

If you interviewed at a bunch of other schools, I'd be surprised if you thought the facilities were still super nice. They were pretty average at best in my eyes. Who cares though, only there for two years anyway and if you are set on west coast it is a very viable option.

where can i find interview questions? i am interviewing the 25th, nov.

I interview on Dec 2nd :) Let me know if anyone else has the same day.

i got accepted to tucom--the experience was so negative- our interviewers were the most hostile panel i've ever encountered, they literally focused on everyone's weaknesses in the application. so make sure you are ready to discuss that if you're going to the interview. The hostile people were the two female D.O.'s--they were very condescending and snooty. they should know that as early interviewers who have probably already had multiple acceptances, and they shouldn't make it such a negative experience. i felt bad for a lot of people in my group who were especially harassed about not shadowing a DO/poor gpa.
Also at the beginnging we had to listen to a BORING and dreadful 45 min sell of their DO/MPH program, but were offered NO info about their clerkships, board scores, etc.
i also spoke to some students who didnt seem too happy about living in the middle of nowhere/run down campus. it's annoying that i only have 2 wks to decide--my main motivation for attending was a greater chance to stay in CA for rotations/residencies, but they made it seem like the rotations were in clinics in vallejo, and the match list from last year has about 30/130 staying in CA only. Does anyone know anything different from this??
Any advice would be appreciated, feel free to PM me !

I left with a similar feeling you did. I didn't have bad interviewers or anything. I do think your chances of networking for a california residency are better, but if you are looking for a competitive speciality then I wouldn't have high expectations of staying there. If it is something like family medicine or internal medicine then it is probably a bit easier to the program you want. I think it is more critical to go to a school you like and then do some audition rotations at the programs in california that interest you.

Hey TOURO applicants,

I interviewed (11/04) with TOURO-CA and got my acceptance today (11/07). It was a wonderful experience I want to share with you all, especially the exclusive insider information the applicants received on that day from Donald Haight, Director of Admissions. These were his 3 steps:

1) The interview process is divided into 2 phases. The 1st being from Sept. to Dec. and the 2nd being from Jan. to March. It's important to note that during the 1st phase, there are more available seats than those being interviewed at the moment...thus you have a higher chance of being offered a seat. If you're in the 2nd phase, then you will be considered more carefully as less seats are available than the number of interviewees.

2) From the moment you walk into the interview room, the panel of interviewers (2 faculty, 1 student) will observe your poise as you sit down and maintain your posture. In every answer you give, it is important that you NOT babble and that you have a beginning, middle, and end. MOST IMPORTANTLY, answer the question that is being asked of you. Many interviewees have a tendency to go off on tangents and then give answers that were not asked for...so pay careful attention to what is being asked.

3) It's crucial that you do not focus on only the answers given by you, but also those given by your fellow interviewee peers. The interviewers will actually glance over to see if you're paying attention or just "spacing out." They want to know if you're not only a good speaker, but a GOOD LISTENER as well.

As long as you follow these 3 tips above, as mentioned by Donald Haight, you should be fine. If you guys have any questions about the interview process, the applications, essays, or the campus, and faculty...please ask.

There's the Gaia Napa Valley Hotel. It's a 10-15 min drive from the school.

Yea, I made sure I did those 3 things listed and hot high waitlist. ;) It was a battle of focus for that interview. I had to feign interest in people the entire time!

I'd be willing to let people couch-surf at my place in Napa (30 min from Touro) if they can offer me a couch for any of my future interviews....just throwin' that out there :oops:

How many questions did they ask you? Did they ask specific questions about your application? How long was the whole group interview?

There is seriously about 10 posts about interview style in addition to an entire database that describes the interviews at this school, as well as most others.

I don't mean to come off as a jackass, but it is tiring to answer the same questions over and over when the information is present with a little reading in this very thread, as well as the interview feedback section.

I was accepted on Friday (Nov 6) and interviewed on Oct 28. Anyone else just hear back? I am still waiting for AZCOM and Touro-NY though

Anyone interviewing tomorrow? This weather is amazing- it was snowing when I left Michigan this morning! :love:

Just got an interview invite in the mail today, so I called the admissions office this afternoon to schedule. The earliest interview date available was Monday, January 26th. Given that most places have a 2-3 week winter break, I guess I shouldn't be surprised; but a 2 month wait for an interview is... impressive.

Another piece of evidence showing that the best advice is to apply early (and apply often).

Just got an interview invite in the mail today, so I called the admissions office this afternoon to schedule. The earliest interview date available was Monday, January 26th. Given that most places have a 2-3 week winter break, I guess I shouldn't be surprised; but a 2 month wait for an interview is... impressive.

Another piece of evidence showing that the best advice is to apply early (and apply often).

I just got my invite yesterday also. I gotta give them a call to see whats up and what dates I'll get. I'll probably try to schedule for a late interview because I already have 3 before XMAS.

interview coming up on tuesday. nervous and excited...get to spend thanksgiving with family right afterward.

I'm in!!! woo hoo
I had my interview on monday nov 17th and I just received an email from Don. This is my top choice so i'm really excited! :)

Anyway, the panel interview format is not as bad as i thought it was gonna be. I actually liked it better than my other one-on-one interview. I wrote a detailed description about the interview in the feedback section. Feel free to PM me if u have any questions.

Good luck to all of u that are gonna interview!!

For those who have been accepted, a NEW facebook group has been started. Join the family, introduce yourself, post discussion topics with any questions, talk about housing and roommate search, or just exclaim excitement for the medical path that lies ahead! Here you can post about study groups, trips to the bars in SF, winetasting, rotations, residencies (notice how I mixed the work and play...). The link is: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...id=33948649333

Thanks for setting up the group, but there's already one that was created. Search for TouroCOM class of 2013. Congrats and look forward to meeting you in August if not sooner.

Hey people. I just got my acceptance today (11/25). I interviewed on 11/11. I did not think my interview went well at all. Also, I did not like anything about the school, not the grounds, curriculum, board scores, rotation availability... you name it. Obviously I will NOT be plunking down $2,000 to hold a spot. For any of you on the wait-list, good luck!!!

Hi,

for those who have received the acceptance letter, how long do you have to make your decision (and pay the deposit)?

You have 2 weeks from the date on the acceptance letter to reply and turn in the deposit. They have to receive it 2 weeks from the date, so its not a postmark date. :eek: $2000. ><

If you interviewed at a bunch of other schools, I'd be surprised if you thought the facilities were still super nice. They were pretty average at best in my eyes. Who cares though, only there for two years anyway and if you are set on west coast it is a very viable option.

Does anyone know or have more information on how the 3rd and 4th years work w.t.r to Touro? I know you get to choose to do your clinical years in regions outside of Vallejo, such as Michigan. This and the fact that the school's tuition isn't as high as other D.O. schools are pretty much the only pro's, personally, in choosing Touro-CA.

For example,
- Where in Michigan do you do your training?
- Would you have to fly back and forth to Vallejo for various reasons, during your third and fourth years?

Thanks!:)

I recently got an acceptance offer from Touro-CA and I'm trying to decide if i should mail in the deposit or not. Touro is definitely NOT my top choice. I like the fact that you can spend your clinical years outside of Vallejo.

I'd really appreciate some general feedback on what anyone else, who has had interviews at PCOM-GA and/or Midwestern-AZ (as well as Touro), would say.

PCOM and Midwestern are two more interviews that i have coming up. (one mid december, the other january).

Appreciate it.

I'd really appreciate some general feedback on what anyone else, who has had interviews at PCOM-GA and/or Midwestern-AZ (as well as Touro), would say. Appreciate it.

I interviewed at both AZCOM and Touro-CA. AZCOM has much nicer facilities. It also has a much better academic reputation in terms of board scores and rigorous academics. Unfortunately, AZCOM's schedule involves tests every week without a break your first 2 years. You will have an exam every week.

Touro seems to provide better rotation locations over the last 2 years. AZCOM has had to send students all over AZ and even Ohio so you have to relocate several times. AZCOM is also more expensive (40k) tuition wise but Touro is not much cheaper.

If you are from Cal or southwest and want to stay, Touro might be the better bet.

:confused: Anybody know about the recent provisional accreditation status that Touro-Ca has received due to some event happening?

I am choosing between Touro and Azcom as well. Although with the AZCOM dirty little secrets forum...I'm scared to choose either!! Yikes!

Does anyone know or have more information on how the 3rd and 4th years work w.t.r to Touro? I know you get to choose to do your clinical years in regions outside of Vallejo, such as Michigan. This and the fact that the school's tuition isn't as high as other D.O. schools are pretty much the only pro's, personally, in choosing Touro-CA.

For example,
- Where in Michigan do you do your training?
- Would you have to fly back and forth to Vallejo for various reasons, during your third and fourth years?

Thanks!:)

What DO schools are you comparing to? It was one of the most expensive ones I interviewed at. They suggested near 70k a year in loans compared to the 48-50k at 2 of the other places I was at.

Hey guys, here are some recent match lists for Touro-CA. Enjoy! :)

Attachments

• Touro-CA Match List 2005.pdf
    85 KB · Views: 717
  • Touro-CA Match List 2007.pdf
    33.4 KB · Views: 711
  • Touro-CA Match List 2008.pdf
    18.8 KB · Views: 1,721
I too am trying to decide between TUCOM-CA and AZCOM. Anybody have more advice?

I am interested in primary care/family medicine, global health, community health, multicultural health, wilderness health, green healthcare/sustainable medicine, ect...

I also want to be volunteering at a free health clinic throughout med school.

Anybody have any comments about my interests lining up with one school or the other?

Enjoy.

For all those interested in what sites the 3rd/4th year rotations are at or the whole general process, a webpage devoted to Rotations was set up by the class of 2010. Mind you, this is probably 2-3 years old so it might be a bit updated. Here is the link: http://www.tourospin.com/index.html

Status
Not open for further replies.