***Official 2008 Waitlist Movement Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yup, like many, I'm also on three waitlists with no acceptances.Beautiful! I actually have begun to truly believe that getting in is impossible. Even if I were to get an offer, the postman would probably lose my mail somewhere. It makes waiting much easier.ummmmmmmmmmmm lets see how that changes in three weeks.

Haha, I'm so inpatient. 3 weeks seems sooooo long.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone seen the movie Forever Strong or knows how good it is? I think we could all use it as inspiration for this waitlist movement.

Members don't see this ad :)
The main character got in right before classes started from the waitlist. One clown asks her "So I didn't see you at orientation" she says "I just got in off the waitlist". He gives her a disgusted look, says "oh", and walks off.

The main character got in right before classes started from the waitlist. One clown asks her "So I didn't see you at orientation" she says "I just got in off the waitlist". He gives her a disgusted look, says "oh", and walks off.

I MUST SEE THIS MOVIE. I love medical horror movies.

I kind of worry that accepted students might secretly think less of people who get in off the waitlist... Does anyone else get the queasy feeling that getting in off the waitlist means that we're less qualified than the applicants who were straight-out accepted?

I MUST SEE THIS MOVIE. I love medical horror movies.

I kind of worry that accepted students might secretly think less of people who get in off the waitlist... Does anyone else get the queasy feeling that getting in off the waitlist means that we're less qualified than the applicants who were straight-out accepted?
It already has given me an inferior feel, and I haven't even gotten in yet! My alma-mater waitlisted me... now that is the ultimate ::slap:: considering my undergrad GPA. Doh!

I wonder that as well, but I really don't care when it comes down to it. They can think whatever they want about me. All that really matters is that I GOT IN! (assuming I do get off the waitlist at one of the two I'm currently on)

The system for acceptances needs to be revised

Last edited:
Someone needs to begin legislation to correct the flaws in the system. No, I don't believe those with multiple acceptances should be denied the opportunity to hold their acceptances, but just like with little league baseball, after a certain number of runs batted in, the game is called! So, I therefore propose that the central application process limit acceptances "HELD" to three at max. These three can be altered up until April 1st, when a single acceptance is all that should be allowed to be held. This still allows multiple acceptances but at the same time keeps the system flowing more fluidly. It also moves the waitlist system up nearly 6 weeks.

One small problem. A lot of people hold on to their acceptances because they're looking for financial aid packages, which don't go out until generally mid-April. Now, of course, we could just speed up the financial aid process, but that means that people will have to get their tax information in earlier. I know that my mother had started putting things together in January, and got her taxes finished by the end of March, making the 1 April deadline a little too fast for a good turnaround on financial aid.

Of course, this could be cleared up by not requiring parents' tax information be given in order to receive aid.

I'm also not a big fan of the mercy rule. The real problem here is not enough MS seats and the whole crapshoot feeling to the process, making students grossly over-apply as compared to undergrad.

Point, with regard to parental tax information, well taken - and considering that I have noticed at least 1 student spending near $9,000 to apply, with that sort of money available for applications, then they may not even qualify for financial aid!

There is a problem with the system, its a good time for students, parents, adminsitrators and others to get involved, brainstorm and come-up with a better system.

Last edited:
Point, with regard to parental tax information, well taken - and considering that I have noticed at least 1 student spending near $9,000 to apply, with that sort of money available for applications, then they may not even qualify for financial aid!

I have no problem requesting that those involved in the application process to complete their tax information early. If you're looking for money than you might need to do a little extra work to earn it, having you or your parents complete the tax information earlier than April 15th shows me 2 things: 1) you are willing to work hard to get financial aid 2) you are not a prograstinator!

From reading SDN it appears that DO schools start earlier. I recently read on SDN that a student asked would it be unprofessional to withdrawl from a DO school after classes started, should they receive an offer from a MD school. The response was vicious towards this question as the responses said, you took a spot that someone else could have had and now you are running for something better. The response continued with something like the field of medicine is for people with compasion, you would not be showing compasion. I thought this was unsensitive towards this student. In relation to DO schools what are their motivators to start earlier, why do they require greater deposits, etc. This student, should they get off an MD waitlist, would be loosing a lot financially but considering the injustive of the process, I would suggest they do what is best for them. Its not fair to knock them - they had to wait for the waitlist to move!

There is a problem with the system, its a good time for students, parents, adminsitrators and others to get involved, brainstorm and come-up with a better system.

The other problem with a mercy rule applies to couples applying together. Since there is no "couples match" for med school as there is for residency, any couple trying to stay in the same city is forced to apply to a lot of schools to increase the chances of matriculating at schools near each other.

My fiance and I are going through this- he was accepted at a few schools long before I even had interviews in the area. Unless they have a couples match for med school, you can't ask for a "3 school acceptance limit."

and, not to be rude, but why is this discussion on the "waitlist movement thread"????? I know it kinda applies to waitlists... but I'm compulsively checking this thread everytime I see a new post....

Members don't see this ad :)
Then lets add a "couples" match to the system - makes sense to me. I wish you well.

Last edited:
So what do you guys think the waitlist movement will be like this year, overall? Heavier than normal? Less? About the same? It seems to me that the bigger applicant pool will result in lots of movement in the more elite schools. I'm not sure about the others, though. Thoughts?

i think it's hard to generalize the waitlist movement across all the schools. egh - may 1st down, 14 days to go!

milkmanal, did you apply to umkc-med? I heard they take less than a handful of students each year for MD only since the majoriy of the class is ba/md, but i figured you might have some in state advantage? lol (i'm just curious, i know a bunch of people in the program over there)

I'll be applying there in about a week. The application for next year's class isn't available yet, but it should be soon. I didn't have my application together in time to apply for last January's class. Oh well. If I don't get into Arkansas, maybe I'll get accepted there.

I also know several people in the program, though they're in the 6-year program. Are you from KC or nearby?

ok guys i get really excited when this thread is in bold so stop posting unless you actually get in off the waitlist .. ie no more "false alarms"! lol jk (or am i?!) Good Luck!

ok guys i get really excited when this thread is in bold so stop posting unless you actually get in off the waitlist .. ie no more "false alarms"! lol jk (or am i?!) Good Luck!
False hope > No hope.

O rly?

Its fun being on a waitlist. I love finding a job, working on a thesis, looking for an apartment and hoping that it's all for nothing every day.

lol. serious.

lol. serious.
LOLz. Sometimes we have too look at what we are doing as LOL. It makes it much easier.

Let's hope we all get in to our #1 waitlist schools. :luck:

First of all, this thread rocks my world. The bunny is amazing.

As for anything of actual relevance, I have been accepted at 2 schools I'd be ok with but waitlisted at my dream school. There's supposed to be a bunch of movement on the list, so there is a decent chance I'll be happy.

To those who have been waitlisted but not accepted, DON'T GIVE UP HOPE. Write letters, make phone calls. Be pro-active. Not Jessica Simpson's pro-active, though...now is not the time to fret over acne! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: ok that was a really poor attempt at making a joke but stayin in touch w/ the school is a must.

IF (this is a big 'if' and is probly jumpin the gun) you don't get accepted, not the end of the world for the MD. Call the school's admiss. office to see if someone will meet w/ you to discuss how you can strengthen your application for the next cycle. One of my schools does this for waitlisters who are eventually denied. The meeting will at least put a face and personality to your name and might get you recognized earlier for the following cycle.

I wish you all the best and will hopefully post with some good news come May 15th. Cheers.

Well....this coming week is the week that Louisville is going to tell me which third of the wait list I am on. They say it is a rare year for them to not have the whole top third get in along with some of the middle third so I am really hoping on that top third spot seeing that I don't have any acceptances and rumor has it that my other wait list school (UK) doesn't see much movement at all! I interviewed at both schools in October and it has been the longest waiting game imaginable! Good luck everyone!

MilkmanAl said:
Are you from KC or nearby?

i actually was in the program for 1 year, but wasn't ready to move through the process as quickly as possible - gave up my seat to move back home to GW. Now On the GW wait list or politely put, "Alternate List", for the second year in a row. sometimes i regret leaving, but i still don't think i would have been ready - my former classmates are writing step 1 now, which i'd never have been ready for.

Albany Medical College: swim2006 (WL: 12/18, A:2/22)
Georgetown: Volley1 (WL: 10/?, a: 1/?), Rydog7898 (WL: 3/?, A:4/?)
Penn State: swim2006 (WL:late Nov, A: 4/3)
University of Miami (Miami campus): Silkydelicious (WL: 2/22, A: 3/21)
UVM: Womialas (WL: 11/20, A: 2/21, IS), ladude626 (WL: 11/19, A: 11/27, OOS)
Wake Forest: IrishCol5 (A: 5/2)

As an applicant sitting on 3 waitlists and 0 acceptances, I'm a bit curious about waitlist acceptance policies/etiquette. I haven't seen this posted anywhere on SDN, but I know that I can't be the only waitlister with this question:

Are you allowed to accept an offer off of one waitlist, but then change your answer to no if you are later accepted off of the waitlist at a second school that you would rather attend?

I suppose I'm imagining a phone call during which a school says something along the lines of "we would like to offer you a seat in our 2008 entering class... would you like to attend?" At which point I blurt out "yes".

I suppose I'm not quite sure what to expect. But, am I way off base in thinking they might want a definite answer rather quickly, if not immediately?

Any thoughts/opinions/experiences to share on this subject? Thanks!

As an applicant sitting on 3 waitlists and 0 acceptances, I'm a bit curious about waitlist acceptance policies/etiquette. I haven't seen this posted anywhere on SDN, but I know that I can't be the only waitlister with this question:

Are you allowed to accept an offer off of one waitlist, but then change your answer to no if you are later accepted off of the waitlist at a second school that you would rather attend?

I suppose I'm imagining a phone call during which a school says something along the lines of "we would like to offer you a seat in our 2008 entering class... would you like to attend?" At which point I blurt out "yes".

I suppose I'm not quite sure what to expect. But, am I way off base in thinking they might want a definite answer rather quickly, if not immediately?

Any thoughts/opinions/experiences to share on this subject? Thanks!
If you couldn't waitlist movement would not extend througout the entire summer

To the best of my knowledge, you can remain on any number of wait-lists that you want despite holding onto an acceptance off the wait-list at a particular school. I think the reason they give you such a short time to decide is because you can only hold onto one acceptance after May 15, so if you already have an acceptance going in, you will have to choose which one you would rather keep.

Columbia: WL: Early March A: 5/5
I'm just really blown away right now...

Columbia: jpps11 (WL: Early March A: 5/5)

That's epic jpps11. Congrats

Columbia: WL: Early March A: 5/5
I'm just really blown away right now...

congrats! hopefully the rest of us will hear good news like this too.:luck::luck:

Hey jpps11, congrats on the acceptance. Can you tell us if you reinterviewed or anything like that?

wow, columbia movement already? perhaps this indicates the possibility of a good WL season :)

Hey jpps11, congrats on the acceptance. Can you tell us if you reinterviewed or anything like that?

No... I haven't even heard of a reinterview. As with all things in this crazy med school application process, I make no claim to understand it. Columbia was absolutely my first choice, so I am obviously really happy. I did write a letter of intent to make sure my special interest in Columbia was really clear. I'm sure that that helped, but I don't really know to what extent. Thanks to all of you for the congratulations, and best of luck with these waitlists.

No... I haven't even heard of a reinterview. As with all things in this crazy med school application process, I make no claim to understand it. Columbia was absolutely my first choice, so I am obviously really happy. I did write a letter of intent to make sure my special interest in Columbia was really clear. I'm sure that that helped, but I don't really know to what extent. Thanks to all of you for the congratulations, and best of luck with these waitlists.
:hardy::hardy::hardy: that is nice

usf in florida began its waitlist movement!
o-rly001.jpg

Columbia: jpps11 (WL: Early March A: 5/5) timcheng00 (WL: Early March A: 5/6)

Columbia: jpps11 (WL: Early March A: 5/5) timcheng00 (WL: Early March A: 5/6)

congrats to you too timcheng00! Congrats on Columbia!

Columbia: jpps11 (WL: Early March A: 5/5) timcheng00 (WL: Early March A: 5/6), medstudent2012 (WL: Early March, A: Early May)

anyone else surprised at the amount of waitlist movement at Columbia this early in May?

Columbia: jpps11 (WL: Early March A: 5/5) timcheng00 (WL: Early March A: 5/6), medstudent2012 (WL: Early March, A: Early May)