LECOM - Bradenton Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I finally heard back from LECOM-B (my fault, took me long enough to get my LORs in) and I'm very excited to go down for an interview and see PBL in action! Yay! Visiting FL during the dead of winter ain't bad, either.

Does anybody happen to know what days of the week they interview? With finals coming up I have no idea when I'm going to be able to schedule this.

Also, Q for current students: I see a few of you posting about the readings that you do outside of class, but I'm confused about specifically what subject material you cover year 1 vs. year 2. I'm very used to the idea of biochem/phys/neuro/etc first year, with path/pharm/microbio the second year. Do you cover all of that during both years? Because that feels overwhelming to try to learn path while going over glycolysis and cardiovascular phys (or whatever other combo).

Happy turkey day!

I don't know the specific days but I interviewed on a Monday. GOOD LUCK!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I finally heard back from LECOM-B (my fault, took me long enough to get my LORs in) and I'm very excited to go down for an interview and see PBL in action! Yay! Visiting FL during the dead of winter ain't bad, either.

Does anybody happen to know what days of the week they interview? With finals coming up I have no idea when I'm going to be able to schedule this.

Since they have ya'll sit in on a PBL session it's usually either on a Mon/Wed/Fri. SOME times if it's on an exam week or some other time when there's not any PBL sessions that day they may get a group of students to hold a mock session for the interviewees. Especially with finals coming up shortly I'm not sure how far up until the end of this semester they'll interview for.

Also, Q for current students: I see a few of you posting about the readings that you do outside of class, but I'm confused about specifically what subject material you cover year 1 vs. year 2. I'm very used to the idea of biochem/phys/neuro/etc first year, with path/pharm/microbio the second year. Do you cover all of that during both years? Because that feels overwhelming to try to learn path while going over glycolysis and cardiovascular phys (or whatever other combo).

Happy turkey day!

Technically there's not really 1st vs. 2nd year topics. That said, usually the big micro "block" is at the start of your 2nd year and at the end of our 1st year we had some neuro cases. But it's setup so that you'll touch on a lot of things twice.

But digitlnoize was right on.... during 1st year the main focus won't be on path, pharm or micro. Out of those 3 we probably did more of pharm. Micro we hardly touched first year, but a decent amount of path.

Physio, biochem, anatomy, and histo were pretty big first year, especially physio. But there is a lot of overlap and it helps to read a slightly different explanation of the same concept in different sources. For ex: histo usually has a good amount of physio in it, path usually starts off with a general summary of whatever section is being covered and then has a good amount of histo, etc....

i'll be interviewing jan 12th woot! happy turkey day everyone and thanks for the advice the website ended up being updated by the end of the day

Members don't see this ad :)
withdrawing my acceptance, hope it goes to one of you guys! Great school, has nothing to do with the program, just got into a school that fits me better. I really think LECOM has the potential to train good clinicians. Also, I have been on quite a few interviews so far, and LECOM-B has the best looking girls BY FAR! excellent place to meet an intelligent and attractive woman. Good Luck

Sent my deposit out today for my spot next year, will definitely be attending LECOM-Bradenton :D

Have had the acceptance for a while now and went on a few other interviews but no other schools could match LECOM-B in my mind :thumbup:

Also wanted to bump this thread back up top

Last edited:
Sent my deposit out today for my spot next year, will definitely be attending LECOM-Bradenton :D

Have had the acceptance for a while now and went on a few other interviews but no other schools could match LECOM-B in my mind :thumbup:

Congrats! Good choice!

Hey All,

I just interviewed Dec 1 and found out my decision the next day. It all depends on when the committee makes their decision and then finding your status on the LECOM portal.

I was put on the alternate list. This is good in a way since I need more time to check out other schools (They only give you a month to decide and they require a $1500 matriculation fee!).

I wanted to ask if anyone knew or has experienced the MPH program at the University of Southern Florida. Or if we can elect to take a year off to take an MPH somewhere else? Thanks.

WAHOOO!!!:D Congrats!!

Good evening everyone! I am going to LECOM Bradenton on Dec. 10th for an interview and wondered if anyone had any up to date info on the typical questions being asked lately. The interview feedback section of SDN has mid Nov. interview questions and I suspect that LECOM-B may change things up from time to time. Also, is anyone else interviewing on Dec. 10th?

Hey All,

I just interviewed Dec 1 and found out my decision the next day. It all depends on when the committee makes their decision and then finding your status on the LECOM portal.

I was put on the alternate list. This is good in a way since I need more time to check out other schools (They only give you a month to decide and they require a $1500 matriculation fee!).

I wanted to ask if anyone knew or has experienced the MPH program at the University of Southern Florida. Or if we can elect to take a year off to take an MPH somewhere else? Thanks.

**cough SOUTH florida cough***

sorry a little stuffed up in the chest. i'm there for undergrad and i hear good things from those i meet. mostly just in passing though "i like it..." etc. my friend will be starting in january i believe and he seemed impressed thus far. prob didnt help much sorry

anybody else get the "your file will be re-reviewed by the Adcom in late January" message on the portal. Not the Xmas present I was hoping for as Lecom-B is my top choice and I was waitlisted here last year. congrats to all those that have good news and best hopes for you alternates.

The Alternate List....

I know they start pulling from it in mid January. And they continue to pull from it until classes actually start. From what I hear, the list is not given a ranking. Does that mean they just re-examine everyone in the pool at the same time?

I would love to be pulled off the alternate list before March, so I don't have to send the second half of my deposit to NOVA. It pains me to think I could pay $2,000 to a school and then not go. And to have the possibility of being offered a spot right up until classes start? This is really the cruelest possible process imaginable. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
anybody else get the "your file will be re-reviewed by the Adcom in late January" message on the portal. Not the Xmas present I was hoping for as Lecom-B is my top choice and I was waitlisted here last year. congrats to all those that have good news and best hopes for you alternates.

Hey there! I got the same exact thing :( What exactly does it mean though? Is it just a nice way of saying "sorry, but its no-go for you" ? Im a little worried b/c Lecom-b is also on the top of my list but I have 2 other interviews coming soon with turnaround times that are less than a week long. Lets see how it goes. But its all good, hang in there marathondude :D

Hey there! I got the same exact thing :( What exactly does it mean though? Is it just a nice way of saying "sorry, but its no-go for you" ? Im a little worried b/c Lecom-b is also on the top of my list but I have 2 other interviews coming soon with turnaround times that are less than a week long. Lets see how it goes. But its all good, hang in there marathondude :D

I'm not sure, but I think it's a limbo type situation...but, probably better than being placed straight on the alt. list.

It's sort of like, "we like you, but we'll see if we get anyone better in the next few weeks...we'll re-evaluate you in a little while, and see how you stand in relation to everyone else then..."

At least, that's my (completely uneducated) interpretation. It could mean something totally different.

thanks Semper and Digitl. I'll keep the digits crossed and hope for the best...congrats and good luck on the other interviews Semper, knock 'em dead!:thumbup:

i'll be interviewing jan 12th woot! happy turkey day everyone and thanks for the advice the website ended up being updated by the end of the day

i'll be with you there on that day i just got my interview invite today

Just got the call... accepted! I'm gonna be a doctor! :eek: :D:soexcited::)

Best of luck to everyone who's interviewing there soon!

Hey,

School starts July 27th!! I'm super stoked. I'm thinking this is going to be a great year!

OWOW class of 2013 :)

Even though school starts July 27, there is a pre-orientation day. The first day is July 23 that's a one day mandatory visit. It's pretty much to go down there to get your picture taken, get an ID, etc. They give other days beside the 23rd but I'm not sure what they are.

This was posted in an old LECOM-B thread by "DOwannaB", a member of the class of 2012...

Hey guys, I'm a current first year at LECOM-B and this may be a little early for this, but in case anyone is wondering what they can do to prepare for the first year over summer vacation, I would recommend buying the Moore's Essential Clinical Anatomy book and reading ALL that you can. You will have 10 weeks of an anatomy crash course and it will really benefit you to have read the stuff once through (you're going to need to read it two or three times to make it stick anyway), also when you find out what your embryo book is, read at least the introductory chapters in that. Embryo is very dense and difficult and I read those during the summer and it helped so much. I wish I would have read the whole anatomy book though just so I knew what I was getting into!

We used "Grey's Anatomy For Students" and pretty much everyone hated it, so we're pretty sure they're switching to Moore's "Clinically Oriented Anatomy" next year. Moore's is a great book. I would recommend getting the Grey's for Students FLASHCARDS though...I think they are probably the best.

Definitely get the Rohen's Atlas...regardless of what they recommend. Rohen's all the way.

If you can take a decent Embryo or Histo class...do it. I didn't and wish I had. As far as studying over the summer...

Good luck. I tried a little, but until you're actually IN med school, I think it's hard to know how to study for med school. It's not like anything else you've ever experienced...But if you want to do something, start with the back and learn all the muscles and origins/insertions/bloodsupply/innervations and you'll be ahead of the game.

Congratulations to those of you who have been accepted, and good luck to all of you who are still waiting! I'm a fourth year at LECOM-B and just wanted to drop a note to let everyone know what an absolutely fantastic place LECOM-Bradenton is. Looking back, there really is not a single thing I would change. There is no question in my mind that PBL is the way to go. If you are lucky enough to have an admission offer, you are truly holding on to an opportunity of a lifetime. Your years in Bradenton will be fantastic. And beyond Bradenton, if my own personal interactions with DO students from other schools are any indication, I suspect that if you attend any of the other DO schools, your experience will likely be wonderful as well. The care, compassion, and comradely that runs so deeply in the osteopathic family has made the process of becoming a doctor all the more wonderful. And for those of you who are going to Bradenton for sure... forget about all your worries like pre-gaming for anatomy and such.... the LECOM Bradenton environment is cooperative, non-competitive, and supportive beyond belief. LECOM will teach you how to think like a doctor, how take responsibility for your own learning, and moreover, it will give you all the help, tools, and support you need to succeed. The only thing you really need to worry about... is what SPF suntan lotion to buy for all the fun filled days you have ahead of you soaking up the rays while reading medicine on the white sandy beaches of Sarasota's keys.

Congratulations to those of you who have been accepted, and good luck to all of you who are still waiting! I'm a fourth year at LECOM-B and just wanted to drop a note to let everyone know what an absolutely fantastic place LECOM-Bradenton is. Looking back, there really is not a single thing I would change. There is no question in my mind that PBL is the way to go. If you are lucky enough to have an admission offer, you are truly holding on to an opportunity of a lifetime. Your years in Bradenton will be fantastic. And beyond Bradenton, if my own personal interactions with DO students from other schools are any indication, I suspect that if you attend any of the other DO schools, your experience will likely be wonderful as well. The care, compassion, and comradely that runs so deeply in the osteopathic family has made the process of becoming a doctor all the more wonderful. And for those of you who are going to Bradenton for sure... forget about all your worries like pre-gaming for anatomy and such.... the LECOM Bradenton environment is cooperative, non-competitive, and supportive beyond belief. LECOM will teach you how to think like a doctor, how take responsibility for your own learning, and moreover, it will give you all the help, tools, and support you need to succeed. The only thing you really need to worry about... is what SPF suntan lotion to buy for all the fun filled days you have ahead of you soaking up the rays while reading medicine on the white sandy beaches of Sarasota's keys.

congrats on your acceptance, i am a 3rd yr here and the quote above is nicely said. every school has it's strengths and weakness but the people here are definitely a strength. they'll mostly work with you. after having a few rotations with other med students, PBL definitely gives you a clinical edge when you 1st start. a large part of this program is "on your own reading" so you get what you put in and there are plenty of resources to help you on your way.

enjoy your time off now. you're better off spending your time online looking for a place to live than studying early and cramming it all in. see you next year!

Very excited to have been notified about my January 12 interview!!! I am making plans to come out from California now and planning to arrive Saturday the 10th in the evening so I have time to check out the area and maybe hit the beach on on Sunday before the big interview Monday!

I will be renting a car. Does anybody have any interest in sharing a hotel room or maybe just hanging out?

i'll be with you there on that day i just got my interview invite today

sweet! i can't wait to meet everyone

Very excited to have been notified about my January 12 interview!!! I am making plans to come out from California now and planning to arrive Saturday the 10th in the evening so I have time to check out the area and maybe hit the beach on on Sunday before the big interview Monday!

I will be renting a car. Does anybody have any interest in sharing a hotel room or maybe just hanging out?

I live in north tampa so no go on the hotel sharing but hanging out is a possibility. i'll cross my fingers for you for warm weather so you can check out the beach:) of course cold for me might be balmy for you.

I'm wondering if anyone has been invited for an interview or better yet, accepted, while still completing their prerequisites? When I check out my application status it shows the classes I'm still completing with the red "x".

Thanks in advance for clarification on this.

I'm wondering if anyone has been invited for an interview or better yet, accepted, while still completing their prerequisites? When I check out my application status it shows the classes I'm still completing with the red "x".

I had mine pre-reqs done, but I'm pretty sure that it's happened before. I don't think that's that big of a deal, unless you have some other red flags. I mean, the bad kind of "red flags" not the check marks...lol

Maybe someone will confirm soon...

Up until the day before I was accepted, they had a red "x" by the physics requirement, despite having taken a full year of calc-based physics and some astronomy courses. Shortly after I submitted my secondary, LECOM admissions contacted me about one of my physics classes, and I had to submit a syllabus so they could check it out. After my interview, when I looked at my status, they still had the "x" there. I guess they had cleared it up amongst themselves but hadn't changed it on their computer system. I emailed them once I saw it, and they changed it within a half-hour.

If they have a question about something, they'll probably contact you, but go ahead and call/email them if it's bugging you. They are extremely nice people, and will do their best to help you... at least, that's been my experience. In any case, I'm sure you're not the only one who still has pre-reqs to complete.

i originally applied without having classes marked as behavioral science but i had one marked that i would be taking it in the spring and there was a note by the red x that i would be taking it next term. I ended up going back and sending admissions some course descriptions from previous classes and they counted but i still got the interview invitation before i did all that. i think as long as they know it will be done by the time you matriculate then you're fine. they always reserve the right to take away your acceptance should you not complete all requirements.

I was missing a semester of behavioral science and I got accepted. You just need to make sure you can get all of your coursework done by July.

To any one that is accepted for class of 2013 ... I am looking to get a house maybe a three or four bedroom for rent in June. I know one person from student doc that is possibly interested but we would still need some more roomates if we were to get a 3/4 bedroom. Any one intersted in a house situation for med school next year, message me.

I believe I've been complete for about two weeks. What's the usual lag period between supplemental submission and the interview?

any current students know if the faculty do any research? the website is pretty much the most vague thing ever. i know the emphasis is training for primary care but i was just wondering

One of the student tour guides on my interview day was doing research in Tampa (at Univ of South Florida, I assume), but I think she had started that before getting accepted to LECOM.

I don't think the faculty do much research (if any); there's didn't seem to be much in the way of facilities for them to do so.

Hey everyone,

So I just checked my status in the portal and it says "The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days."

Did anyone else get this in their portal and what was the outcome? What I mean is, do they normally just write you were accepted in this space if you were and this is the blurb they write if you were rejected or is this the status quo for either outcome?

Sorry, but this is my first interview/decision in 2 application cycles so I am a little nervous/excited!

Thanks!!

So I just checked my status in the portal and it says "The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days."

It's status quo. I got accepted last week, and it still says that for me. I guess I keep saying this in my posts on this thread, but I'd call the admissions office tomorrow and ask them what your status is. It'll take all of about 5 minutes.

My guess is that they don't change it until you send your deposit.

Best of luck to you!

any current students know if the faculty do any research? the website is pretty much the most vague thing ever. i know the emphasis is training for primary care but i was just wondering

There is some research going on here. We had a lecture from someone the other evening who is doing research on Human Topoisomerase I and Cancer.

I wouldn't say that our emphasis is really on "primary care". How about we say the emphasis is on "clinical medicine"...but that's just my 2 cents...

Not alot of research going on here, but there is a little. The opportunity is there if you want to do it.

I was accepted before finishing Physics II...like previous posters have said...you can be accepted without meeting all pre-reqs so long as they're finished by July.

Goodluck! :luck:

I wouldn't say that our emphasis is really on "primary care". How about we say the emphasis is on "clinical medicine"...but that's just my 2 cents...

yea it says "preparing the next generation of primary health care professionals" on your home page. that's not to say that they actually strictly teach that but that's what i was going by when i said that the emphasis was on primary care

anyway thank you, any chance you know any names of professors so i can possibly track them down on my interview day in january? thanks again

yea it says "preparing the next generation of primary health care professionals" on your home page. that's not to say that they actually strictly teach that but that's what i was going by when i said that the emphasis was on primary care

anyway thank you, any chance you know any names of professors so i can possibly track them down on my interview day in january? thanks again

Yeah...web pages are a bunch of baloney. I'm not saying that we aren't prepared for PC, but...I wouldn't say our training is specific to that...far from it. LECOM-B has the #2 board scores in the country...doesn't bode well for us picking primary care careers...

That being said, we do wind up in some...ER was our most popular, lots of IM...there's a good number of anesthesia and what not too though...

My scheudule-y thing says that the guy that lectured to us was Dr. Laco. I would probably just shoot Heather an email and ask if she could put you in contact with some people there who are doing research...see what she says...

Personally, I don't see how people have the time to do research during years 1, 2, and 3. Maybe in the summer or during year 4. We do have VERY flexible rotations, some of which can be used for research. I was considering doing some NIH stuff this summer...maybe...we'll see.

Good Luck!

Yeah...web pages are a bunch of baloney. I'm not saying that we aren't prepared for PC, but...I wouldn't say our training is specific to that...far from it. LECOM-B has the #2 board scores in the country...doesn't bode well for us picking primary care careers...

That being said, we do wind up in some...ER was our most popular, lots of IM...there's a good number of anesthesia and what not too though...

My scheudule-y thing says that the guy that lectured to us was Dr. Laco. I would probably just shoot Heather an email and ask if she could put you in contact with some people there who are doing research...see what she says...

Personally, I don't see how people have the time to do research during years 1, 2, and 3. Maybe in the summer or during year 4. We do have VERY flexible rotations, some of which can be used for research. I was considering doing some NIH stuff this summer...maybe...we'll see.

Good Luck!

Yea i figured as much about the website being baloney after looking at the match list. I'll try emailing heather and maybe i'll look up stuff at NIH too. I'd just like to get a publication or two under my belt because right now i'm looking at clinical genetics as a specialty and they love their research. thanks again

Agree with the advice above..... email Heather and see about being put into contact with one of the professors who has some research going on.

I know there's a little going on/getting started but no specifics. We have a few students did some presentations their first year but I think those were mainly from projects they had started in undergrad and just continued working on them/finishing when they came here.

If you can work in the time during 1st/2nd years to do research then good for you! I honestly couldn't do it myself which is why I'm considering doing a research elective my 3rd or 4th years.

I interviewed on December 5th (Friday). I was really impressed, and humbled by, the other candidates interviewing, and felt very lucky to be a part of the experience.

I called yesterday and.......... I've been accepted!

I'M GOING TO BE A DOCTOR!

I am SO deliriously happy........................................................... :):):):):):):):):):)

I interviewed yesterday. it was the last day b4 the holiday break that they were doing interviews. Didn't see PBL in action but we got a great lecture on it...oxymoron?... I find out TOMORROW if I am accepted! I CANT EVEN SLEEP! I DONT WANT TO MISS THE CALL...

Asked for an interview 12/9:)
Interviewed 12/10:)
I was ACCEPTED 12/11!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:wow::D:laugh::soexcited::clap:

This is got to be some record!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow. The question is: when did you apply?

It probably doesn't matter. Still a record.

Congrats.

congratulations!! i wanted to know, what do you mean "asked for an interview"? who did you ask, and when? Please let me know. I submitted my secondary application about a week ago, but no interview e-mail yet!! :(

congratulations!! i wanted to know, what do you mean "asked for an interview"? who did you ask, and when? Please let me know. I submitted my secondary application about a week ago, but no interview e-mail yet!! :(

They mean that LECOM-B asked them to come interview. I think.