CCOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
interviewed here today! I am impressed with what they have to offer but nova is still remaining number 1 since I would like to get away from the chicagoland area for a while. Interview was VERY relaxed, not at all like the feedbacks. Only question I got asked from there what telling the interviewers about myself. Mostly talked about my significant clininal exposure and health care reform as well as the mammogram/pap smear report debates. Hope I get in! it will be a tough choice if I get accepted to nova and ccom

Doesn't sound like a tough choice to me :laugh:

Glad to hear it went well though.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for posting the feedback! Nova's a great school too (have an interview there later in Jan). Hope it works out for you. Just curious, how did you get from talking about your clinical experience to health care reform?

There were some talking points that involved the insurance aspects and the conversation just led into the health care reform debate, eventually the issue or mammograms and pap smears. They actually asked me how I felt about the issue since I saw firsthand the impact of managed care. The interview was very informal and just asking bout my clinical experiences as well as my passion towards medicine. Good luck to everyone interviewing here soon:thumbup:

How conservative is the rolling admissions at CCOM? I ask because I just received my secondary email today and I was wondering how full the Fall 2010 class was this late in the application cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
How conservative is the rolling admissions at CCOM? I ask because I just received my secondary email today and I was wondering how full the Fall 2010 class was this late in the application cycle.

I think I remember someone saying that about more than 60% of the class is filled by December, probably more.

Is there a time frame in which I have to set my interview date for CCOM? I'm worried I will miss my chance if I wait too long. It is VERY difficult for me to get off work Jan - Feb, and I also live on the other side of the country. Would waiting for a March interview be possible given I was invited Dec. 5th? I can't find a time limit anywhere. Thanks.

I think I remember someone saying that about more than 60% of the class is filled by December, probably more.

Ouch, that's not good news. I guess it could be worse though.

About how long until I receive word about an interview after my secondary is complete?

Is there a time frame in which I have to set my interview date for CCOM? I'm worried I will miss my chance if I wait too long. It is VERY difficult for me to get off work Jan - Feb, and I also live on the other side of the country. Would waiting for a March interview be possible given I was invited Dec. 5th? I can't find a time limit anywhere. Thanks.
I don't think there's a hard and fast time limit, but its better to have your interview as early as possible (see above posts). I was only given ~3 possible dates to interview on, but I imagine you could call and plead to have your date postponed. I'm sure there are other people who would love to take your spot.

I also had to fly from across the country, but only had to miss one day of work since I interviewed on a Friday. Call in sick if you have to; I hear H1N1 is going around. If you want to go to med school next year, you should make it your priority. I would have considered quitting if keeping my current job meant jeopardizing my future. Just my $.02

Last edited:
Rejected pre-interview :( Saw it coming though (been complete for 2 months and no word). Would have really liked to interview here. O well at least i have other schools to look forward to. Good luck to those waiting for an invite and to those who are about to interview. :luck:

Rejected pre-interview :( Saw it coming though (been complete for 2 months and no word). Would have really liked to interview here. O well at least i have other schools to look forward to. Good luck to those waiting for an invite and to those who are about to interview. :luck:

Aww, sincerely sorry. :( Thanks for the well wishes though and good luck to you wherever you go!

I know your pain....the worst thing was that I called, and they said there was no change and the next day I received a rejection letter that was post marked from the week before.

I was accepted to CCOM after I interviewed in October, but I withdrew today. I'll be going to OSU instead.

CCOM is a great school. Good luck, guys!

I was accepted to CCOM after I interviewed in October, but I withdrew today. I'll be going to OSU instead.

CCOM is a great school. Good luck, guys!

Congrats on OSU! Are you from Ohio? And to those still waiting to hear, this means there's one more seat available for you!

Congrats on OSU! Are you from Ohio? And to those still waiting to hear, this means there's one more seat available for you!

Actually, OSU-COM is Oklahoma State. I am from Oklahoma, so it was an easy choice.

Good luck, all!

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who interviewed this past December 7th and 8th, how did you feel about your interview? I was on the 7th and felt pretty good walking out of the interview. Any ideas when we will hear back? :luck:

I interviewed very recently and I had a really good feeling on interview day. I walked out of the interview room very content... but the more I think about it, the more anxious and paranoid I become. I think they're meeting soon (if not today) so we should hear soon. I tried calling... but nobody picked up.

Anyone have contact with the office?

I interviewed very recently and I had a really good feeling on interview day. I walked out of the interview room very content... but the more I think about it, the more anxious and paranoid I become. I think they're meeting soon (if not today) so we should hear soon. I tried calling... but nobody picked up.

Anyone have contact with the office?

I found out about my acceptance by emailing them... normally if you got accepted they will tell you... but if you got rejected then they just say something along the lines of wait for the letter in the mail...

I would just like some confirmation before I have them sent out, but is this the correct address where I should have my letters of recommendation mailed?

Midwestern University
Office of Admissions
555 31st Street
Downers Grove, IL 60515

I've found that most of the schools I've looked at don't have definitive addresses laid out in the secondary email or the application itself.

Thanks.

Made my desicion, and CCOM is where I will pursue my medical education. Good luck to all those who are still applying, interviewing, or ripping their hair out waiting for the post-interview response! I cannot wait to start school and get this ball rolling.

I would just like some confirmation before I have them sent out, but is this the correct address where I should have my letters of recommendation mailed?

Midwestern University
Office of Admissions
555 31st Street
Downers Grove, IL 60515

I've found that most of the schools I've looked at don't have definitive addresses laid out in the secondary email or the application itself.

Thanks.

You got it buddy. Congrats to those newly accepted or just making their decision:thumbup:

Here is a breakdown of the MS I's current winter quarter schedule that I posted elsewhere but I figured it would be useful here too.

Righto, well I'll break down our current schedule for you. Take a peak at it and it will help you. http://www.midwestern.edu/x1874.xml

So for biochem we have lectures which are not mandatory but they give us little extra credit assignments in class about 4 times a quarter which can raise your grade 3% or so at the end. So it's really up to you if you want to go or not. The Biochem classes located in AH (Hyde Atrium) are mandatory in that we have simulated patient cases and you are working with your groups.

Physiology is not mandatory except for Tuesday mornings where we have the case sessions. Even then the class is split in half and you only have your case session for one hour in the block of 8-10am.

Anatomy lecture is not mandatory. Lab however is, out of the 3 scheduled lab times a week you will be in lab 2 of those days. The other day you are scheduled to attend case studies which they encourage us to go to and the material is often on the tests but it is not totally mandatory.

OMM has a lecture for the first hour 8-9 that is highly encouraged but no one takes attendance. Lab from 9-12 you take a quiz in the beginning worth 5 pts (vs tests worth 100 i think) and you sign in at the end to get your points for that day. If you miss a day it's not the end of the world but it's really hard to get the techniques down if you don't go to lab so essentially everyone goes.

ICM sometimes has a lecture for the first hour which isn't mandatory and then the class is split into two and one half goes to lab to work on skills like auscultating, BP etc while the other has a case pertaining to what you learned that day. Sometimes there is no lecture in the beginning and it is just the two groups one in lab and the other in case session.

The weird pt-physician dialogue is suppose to be mandatory but we don't know how they are planning on enforcing that so a lot of people don't go.

If you have any more specific questions just let me know.

I just received a letter stating that I have been put on the "interview waitlist". Is anyone else in this situation?

Also, do I have any chance of receiving an invite?

I just received a letter stating that I have been put on the "interview waitlist". Is anyone else in this situation?

Also, do I have any chance of receiving an invite?

I didn't even know there was such a thing as an interview waitlist. I've heard of an application being on hold...hmmm.

If you don't mind my asking, when was your app complete? I still haven't heard anything from these guys, and I've been complete since 11/30. Maybe my letter of pre-interview rejection is in the mail...

I still haven't heard anything from these guys, and I've been complete since 11/30. Maybe my letter of pre-interview rejection is in the mail...

From personal experience, and from earlier posts to this thread, it seems like interview invites get sent ~1 month from when you were complete. Although, it might take even longer now that it's later in the cycle.

Did anyone that interviewed this month get accepted yet?

I didn't even know there was such a thing as an interview waitlist. I've heard of an application being on hold...hmmm.

If you don't mind my asking, when was your app complete? I still haven't heard anything from these guys, and I've been complete since 11/30. Maybe my letter of pre-interview rejection is in the mail...

Yea, the interview waitlist was new for me too! I was marked complete the last week in Oct... So hopefully you will hear something soon.

Just put in my deposit at CCOM! Best of luck to all those applying. Keep your head up and stay positive. :)

From personal experience, and from earlier posts to this thread, it seems like interview invites get sent ~1 month from when you were complete. Although, it might take even longer now that it's later in the cycle.

Oh, ok. Thanks for the info. I do remember reading CCOM has a slower turnaround rate. It's just most of the other schools are so fast at getting back to you that I get worried when it takes more than two weeks. I'll try to be patient. I wish it was over already...

Yea, the interview waitlist was new for me too! I was marked complete the last week in Oct... So hopefully you will hear something soon.

Weird! Keep us updated on that if there are any changes. Thanks for the words of encouragement. Hopefully you're having better luck at other schools?

And congrats on all who've been accepted! Lucky people!

im just sending my supplemental app in tomorrow

3.55 gpa and 33 mcat.....still competitive so late in the game? thanks

Yea, i'm in the same position, been complete for just over 2 months and have not heard anything. I really want to interview at this school. Is there anyone that got an interview after waiting this long?

Complete too, but based on other people on this thread i'm looking at a big rejection.

Woot! I just got an interview invite and scheduled it for 1/25. It's bit further out than I had hoped, but beggars can't be choosers. I'm really excited!!! :soexcited:

Declining my interview and withdrawing. Good luck everyone!

(I was scheduled for January 11. Snatch it up!)

For those of you who were accepted, how much was the deposit to hold your spot? Were there any payment plans?

I just got rejected post secondary and figured I'd post my stats/ timeline for anybody who finds it useful.

General Management Business major
3.34 cum 3.32 sci GPA
28 R ( 10 BS 8 PS 10VR)
~100 shadowing hours
~200 volunteer (ER and Peds at local hospital)

Secondary Complete 10/12

I am going to call and ask them how I can strengthen my application for next year tomorrow. If anybody with similar stats/ circumstances wants to PM me and find out what they say let me know.

did anyone who interviewed on dec. 7th or 8th hear anything yet?

Just to give some of you guys who are waiting an idea of CCOM's speediness.....

Complete around 11/24
Interview invite today
MCAT above 30, GPA above a 3.6

I just got rejected post secondary and figured I'd post my stats/ timeline for anybody who finds it useful.

General Management Business major
3.34 cum 3.32 sci GPA
28 R ( 10 BS 8 PS 10VR)
~100 shadowing hours
~200 volunteer (ER and Peds at local hospital)

Secondary Complete 10/12

I am going to call and ask them how I can strengthen my application for next year tomorrow. If anybody with similar stats/ circumstances wants to PM me and find out what they say let me know.

I also received a rejection pre-interview yesterday. I was complete mid-October. Thought my stats were competitive, but I guess something else in my app wasn't what they were looking for. Oh well!

Chemistry major, 3.65 cGPA, 31N MCAT (BS 10, PS 10, VR 11)

Just got an interview invitation yesterday! WOOHOO! Interview set for Jan 12th. Been complete for about 6 weeks, so based on a lot of people's speedy experience, I was starting to get nervous... But it's all good now. :)

So...it seems like a number of current students read this thread (& maybe current applicants have had this experience)... I'm having to do the whole application business on a total shoestring and was wondering if anyone has any info they could toss my way about how to arrange to stay with a student the night before my interview...? I didn't see any talk about that sort of thing on this thread previously... is that not really an option at this school? I know it's not formally arranged by the school, but I'm hoping some kind person has pity on my broke-ass state and lets me crash on their couch.

Suppoose the next step will be to post on any CCOM FB group-pages I can find (when I get home from work... darn my office's web-filter!). If anyone has any other info or suggestions, please reply or PM me. Thanks and best of luck to everyone still interviewing (and congrats to the lucky ducks who already have acceptances)!!

For those of you who were accepted, how much was the deposit to hold your spot? Were there any payment plans?

I think its $1000. If they had a payment plan, I'm pretty sure it would defeat the purpose of a deposit (you could put a fraction down, and bail for another school later). Since it inevitably goes toward tuition, just put it on a credit card and pay it off when you get your student loans. If your card has mileage or reward points you might be able to get some free shwag out of the deal.

Just got my interview invite yesterday, and when I went to schedule the dates there was only one option for Feb 8. Did I miss some option to select other dates, from others recent posts it seems like they were able to get much earlier dates, and the fact that I couldn't even choose a later date makes me think I overlooked something. Any advice?

has anyone from the december 8th interview heard anything about there decisions?

Just got my interview invite yesterday, and when I went to schedule the dates there was only one option for Feb 8. Did I miss some option to select other dates, from others recent posts it seems like they were able to get much earlier dates, and the fact that I couldn't even choose a later date makes me think I overlooked something. Any advice?

Call them? It seems like it's very automated, and so may be luck-of-the-draw as far as what's available at the exact moment you check in to the portal. When I logged on last night it gave me two options: Jan 12th or Feb 12th. If you only got a Feb date, I probably just happened to log on shortly after someone had cancelled their Jan date. I'd say call them if you want to know the ins and outs or are worried you're missing something...

i interviewed on december 8th and just found out that i was accepted!!! i emailed and got a reply within 2 hours : ) good luck to everyone else! im so excited!!!!!!!

Just called and was notified I was accepted!!! Very relieved!!!! I called seriously every other day and left like 5 messages.... very likely I will be going here!!! :]

also, i interviewed on december 4th.

Last edited:
Congrats drplease and otis! Now take it easy the next few months because life will suck for the next four years... I can't wait!

Just called and was notified I was accepted!!! Very relieved!!!! I called seriously every other day and left like 5 messages.... very likely I will be going here!!! :]

also, i interviewed on december 4th.

Did your status on your midwestern login change yet to show that you have been accepted? Or does it still say no items missing?

Thanks.

Did your status on your midwestern login change yet to show that you have been accepted? Or does it still say no items missing?

Thanks.

Nope, has yet to change. Phone or e-mail if you'd like to know ASAP.