-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2013-2014 Florida Atlantic University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
D
deleted480308
good luck everybody
Definitely up there for me 👍
Hope this school shows me some love.
Hope this school shows me some love.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Cant wait to apply! Already getting restless and application hasn't even started yet! Any OOS applicants?
Cant wait to apply! Already getting restless and application hasn't even started yet! Any OOS applicants?
Me! Who could resist applying to a school in boca raton?
Looking forward to applying here!! Good luck everyone!!
I've looked at all the Florida schools and have interest in all interview will help make my decision!! Good luck in applications!
Applying next year.
Please check out my info! Any comments or advice are appreciated!
Link: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=14190891#post14190891
Thank you
Please check out my info! Any comments or advice are appreciated!
Link: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=14190891#post14190891
Thank you
Any secondaries from here yet?
Any secondaries from here yet?
They sent an email saying they are delayed until Monday
Hoping for the best at this school.
I went to FAU as an undergrad and current am taking post-bac at this uni.
I also am a medical assistant to a physician who is involved with this school, from what the attending students have told me about FAU COM I defiantly want to attend.
Unfortunately my app has not been verified and my mcat is a 24 ( 8/8/8) but I know of a few students with MCAT score below a 27 that have been accepted and to add they were NOT URMs.
I went to FAU as an undergrad and current am taking post-bac at this uni.
I also am a medical assistant to a physician who is involved with this school, from what the attending students have told me about FAU COM I defiantly want to attend.
Unfortunately my app has not been verified and my mcat is a 24 ( 8/8/8) but I know of a few students with MCAT score below a 27 that have been accepted and to add they were NOT URMs.
Just got the secondary 🙂
+1 haven't looked at it yet
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am confused by their wording in the last question:
Describe any compelling humanitarian reasons for attending our college
I am confused on their meaning of humanitarian
I agree. I am super confused by this question. Its optional, but I would still like to know what they are wanting.
I agree. I am super confused by this question. Its optional, but I would still like to know what they are wanting.
I think they may be prompting something along the lines of "I've worked with disabled children my whole life, and it's a key influence for my pursuit of a medical career; the opportunity to include service learning within my medical education by remaining involved with Boca Raton chapter of United Cerebral Palsy would truly bring things full circle academically, professionally, and personally"
Something like that. I think. I could be wrong. I'm not applying here.
Best of Luck!
I am confused by their wording in the last question:
Describe any compelling humanitarian reasons for attending our college
I am confused on their meaning of humanitarian
im confused with the word "compelling"
thats a very strong word lol
Just realized my app hasn't been verified. But I know I can put done my mentorship for that question. Mentors and mentees have to live in the same county and FAU the only medical school in Palm Beach County, which is the county my mentees and I currently reside in.
Does everyone get a secondary or do they screen?
If everyone gets one, can someone please post the essay questions.
If everyone gets one, can someone please post the essay questions.
D
deleted480308
Does everyone get a secondary or do they screen?
If everyone gets one, can someone please post the essay questions.
I don't have the questions in front of me but my gpa leads me to believe they don't screen
What if we don't have our letter writer's phone numbers? Is anyone else having this issue?
I would get something generic...
IE: If you know where they work, get that number. If you search professors you can usually find their office number.
FAU's (and FIU) applications are kind of frustrating me. I have to hop back and forth between Firefox and IE because theres so many technical issues that pop up.
If you are working on your secondaries in the box, with the page open and go to save, it will ask you to log back in and you will completely lose all your work. So beware everybody, type your answers in word and then cut and paste.
Last edited:
It would mean a lot to me if someone would post the secondary questions.
It would mean a lot to me if someone would post the secondary questions.
Same as last year, let me know if you can't find it.
I think the only thing that changed was the wording on the last question...
"Describe any compelling humanitarian reason you have to attend our College of Medicine"
I think this is what they are. Can someone verified confirm?
In the event that you are accepted to two or more medicals schools, what factors would be most important in determining which school would be the "best fit" for you. (1200 characters limit)
----
Select an experience unrelated to science or medicine that youve had in each of the categories below. Just name the experience and then write a very brief statement about why you did the experience and/or what was the most important thing(s) you learned about yourself from doing it. You may write about a new experience or one listed in your AMCAS application. An experience may be used more than once. Leaving categories blank will not make your application incomplete. Limit your answers to the spaces provided.
1. A community service experience (unrelated to science or patient care). (1200 characters limit)
2. An employment experience (a job you held for pay unrelated to science or medicine). (1200 characters limit)
3. A position of responsibility/authority (in which others depended on you for direction). (1200 characters limit)
4. A creative endeavor (anything that required you to be creative in your approach, e.g. art, dance, music, computer programming, web site design, writing). (1200 characters limit)
5. A situation in which you interacted with individuals who were different from you. (1200 characters limit)
6. Sports, travel, pets, hobbies: Choose one of the following and write about it as you did in 1-5 above: a) a sport in which you participate or follow); b) your most memorable travel experience; c) pet(s) for which you provided care; or d) an avocation (most important thing you do for distraction). (1200 characters limit)
7. Describe any compelling humanitarian reason you have to attend our College of Medicine" (1200 characters limit)
In the event that you are accepted to two or more medicals schools, what factors would be most important in determining which school would be the "best fit" for you. (1200 characters limit)
----
Select an experience unrelated to science or medicine that youve had in each of the categories below. Just name the experience and then write a very brief statement about why you did the experience and/or what was the most important thing(s) you learned about yourself from doing it. You may write about a new experience or one listed in your AMCAS application. An experience may be used more than once. Leaving categories blank will not make your application incomplete. Limit your answers to the spaces provided.
1. A community service experience (unrelated to science or patient care). (1200 characters limit)
2. An employment experience (a job you held for pay unrelated to science or medicine). (1200 characters limit)
3. A position of responsibility/authority (in which others depended on you for direction). (1200 characters limit)
4. A creative endeavor (anything that required you to be creative in your approach, e.g. art, dance, music, computer programming, web site design, writing). (1200 characters limit)
5. A situation in which you interacted with individuals who were different from you. (1200 characters limit)
6. Sports, travel, pets, hobbies: Choose one of the following and write about it as you did in 1-5 above: a) a sport in which you participate or follow); b) your most memorable travel experience; c) pet(s) for which you provided care; or d) an avocation (most important thing you do for distraction). (1200 characters limit)
7. Describe any compelling humanitarian reason you have to attend our College of Medicine" (1200 characters limit)
Secondary received!! Good luck all!
Just submitted today. Worried that my verbal score will keep me out of this school, or any school for that matter 🙁 . Best of luck to all of you!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
how low do you go?
anyone have trouble with the link from the email not working?
anyone have trouble with the link from the email not working?
Yeah, my link doesn't work. I just realized that yesterday and emailed them so I'm hoping for a response tomorrow.
With regards to the employment essay (not science or medicine related).. I'm a little unsure about what to write here. I haven't had a paying job during undergrad, and I was thinking about talking about my work in a research lab (unpaid) but that's science.
Of course, I have volunteering experiences unrelated to science or medicine, but I'm unsure if I should talk about these. I don't want to leave the section blank though.. suggestions?
Of course, I have volunteering experiences unrelated to science or medicine, but I'm unsure if I should talk about these. I don't want to leave the section blank though.. suggestions?
Does anyone know the Step 1 results?
Has anyone's status been updated from "secondary application completed" yet? If so, when did you submit?
Has anyone's status been updated from "secondary application completed" yet? If so, when did you submit?
Not to my knowledge. Judging by last years thread, we still have several weeks to go before progress is made.
Not to my knowledge. Judging by last years thread, we still have several weeks to go before progress is made.
Thanks for that info! Well this sucks lol
This quarter system thing with the labs are confusing, which quarter should I use?
Status moved from 'Secondary Application Complete' to 'Preliminary Review in Progress'!👍
Sweet! Maybe they are getting a head start this year!!
Still stuck on secondary application completed. When did you guys submit?
still stuck on secondary application completed. When did you guys submit?
7/11
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Still stuck on secondary application completed. When did you guys submit?
I've got the same status and submitted 7/15
Oh okay you guys submitted about a week or two before I did. Makes sense.
II!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😍 🙂
Congratulations!
II!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😍 🙂
Congrats!! Not gonna lie, I'm kinda confused I submitted a couple of days after you and I haven't even been reviewed yet. Stuck at "secondary complete" for over a month now.
