2023-2024 Florida Atlantic (Schmidt)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilly_md

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 Florida Atlantic (Schmidt) Secondary Prompts

Prerequisites: (1600 char limit incl spaces)

1. Use this area to justify and/or explain any academic hardships on your transcripts (any failed and/or repeated courses due to any reason)

2. Use this area to explain exceptions to these prerequisites at your institution.

About Self:
3. Whether or not you will be a full-time student, please provide details of your activities/employment for the application year. (1200 char incl spaces)

4. Describe why you would like to attend the Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine at FAU. What values, skills, talents, and life experiences would you contribute to our community? (1600 char incl spaces)

Experience (1600 character limit incl. spaces):

5. Describe your most meaningful community service experience that is unrelated to direct patient care. Why did you select this particular experience? In what way did you grow and learn from this experience? What did you enjoy most?

6. What traits do you feel you have developed through your experiences thus far (such as paid or unpaid work experiences) that will help prepare you to be successful in medical school and a future physician. Experience does not need to be related to patient care.

7. Leadership can be defined in many ways. One way of defining leadership is as a set of behaviors used to help people align their collective direction, or lead a group or an organization. Tell us about a time you executed your leadership skills.

8. Please describe a significant personal challenge you have faced, one which you feel has helped shape you as a person. Focus on what you learned about yourself and how it will help you during challenges you may face during medical school and as a future physician. Describe any support system and/or resources you had available and how you utilized them.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Use this area to justify and/or explain any academic hardships on your transcripts (any failed and/or repeated courses due to any reason)

Use this area to explain exceptions to these prerequisites at your institution.

About Self:

Whether or not you will be a full-time student, please provide details of your activities/employment for the application year. (1200 char incl spaces)

Describe why you would like to attend the Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine at FAU. What values, skills, talents, and life experiences would you contribute to our community? (1600 char incl spaces)

Describe your most meaningful community service experience that is unrelated to direct patient care. Why did you select this particular experience? In what way did you grow and learn from this experience? What did you enjoy most?

What traits do you feel you have developed through your experiences thus far (such as paid or unpaid work experiences) that will help prepare you to be successful in medical school and a future physician. Experience does not need to be related to patient care.

Leadership can be defined in many ways. One way of defining leadership is as a set of behaviors used to help people align their collective direction, or lead a group or an organization. Tell us about a time you executed your leadership skills.

Please describe a significant personal challenge you have faced, one which you feel has helped shape you as a person. Focus on what you learned about yourself and how it will help you during challenges you may face during medical school and as a future physician. Describe any support system and/or resources you had available and how you utilized them.

This looks like all the questions. As long as nothing pops up after the payment screen (no nav bar on this one).

Reactions: 1 users
"What traits do you feel you have developed through your experiences thus far (such as paid or unpaid work experiences) that will help prepare you to be successful in medical school and a future physician. Experience does not need to be related to patient care."

For this question could I use an experience I had with a club (obv unpaid)?? Or does it have to be work?

Use this area to justify and/or explain any academic hardships on your transcripts (any failed and/or repeated courses due to any reason)

Use this area to explain exceptions to these prerequisites at your institution.

About Self:

Whether or not you will be a full-time student, please provide details of your activities/employment for the application year. (1200 char incl spaces)

Describe why you would like to attend the Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine at FAU. What values, skills, talents, and life experiences would you contribute to our community? (1600 char incl spaces)

Describe your most meaningful community service experience that is unrelated to direct patient care. Why did you select this particular experience? In what way did you grow and learn from this experience? What did you enjoy most?

What traits do you feel you have developed through your experiences thus far (such as paid or unpaid work experiences) that will help prepare you to be successful in medical school and a future physician. Experience does not need to be related to patient care.

Leadership can be defined in many ways. One way of defining leadership is as a set of behaviors used to help people align their collective direction, or lead a group or an organization. Tell us about a time you executed your leadership skills.

Please describe a significant personal challenge you have faced, one which you feel has helped shape you as a person. Focus on what you learned about yourself and how it will help you during challenges you may face during medical school and as a future physician. Describe any support system and/or resources you had available and how you utilized them.

This looks like all the questions. As long as nothing pops up after the payment screen (no nav bar on this one).
@chilly_md

Reactions: 1 user
OOS secondary received, top choice, so hopefully good things will happen!

• Care
"What traits do you feel you have developed through your experiences thus far (such as paid or unpaid work experiences) that will help prepare you to be successful in medical school and a future physician. Experience does not need to be related to patient care."

For this question could I use an experience I had with a club (obv unpaid)?? Or does it have to be work?
I feel like it's not work unless it's paid, and since they specify paid or unpaid, I would interpret work as in any activity. I think you should be fine to use the club experience

Members don't see this ad :)
Received duplicate "application complete/received" emails approximately 3 hours apart. Anyone else with similar experience?

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry if this is a dumb question-- does FAU have a minimum MCAT score? I just saw somewhere that you need a 510 but MSAR says otherwise/ Does anyone know?

Hey everyone, what does it say in the admissions portal for yall? For me it is, "Current Status: Admissions Screening in Progress" and it has not changed since I was complete on Monday

submitted my secondary but is there anyway to confirm that the application is marked complete (i.e. they have my casper and everything else)?

I, too, am very worried about this(1Q casper, 8 preview). Despite it being one of my very top choices, I feel I may be screened out by a 1Q casper score, particularly based on a comment made by their director stating that if our casper score didn't meet their minimum, we wouldn't be further considered for admission. I can't imagine a 1Q score meets any minimum. As someone who takes slightly longer than others to process what they watch, read, and hear, as well as longer to formulate/figure out how they're going to word/convey their response, this test, which rewards word salad and ranting, was the worst possible thing for me.

If it's true that 1Q's get screened, I am very discouraged about how much weight is placed on a test that so many applicants are saying does not properly measure what it purports to measure. I would say the same thing even if I had received a 4Q score, because it is clear there is no rhyme or reason as to who is getting a certain score.
I got a 1Q score too 😩 I have GAD and probably came off as too nervous. I didn't seek out accommodations and regret it now.

7:50
I mean I’m sure there’s enough good applicants who don’t have a 1Q Casper that there’s no point for them to take the “risk”(if there is such a thing) of interviewing a 1Q Casper. However, it’s disappointing they don’t take into account the fact that I’m sure there’s many great applicants who fall through the cracks of a 1Q Casper, especially in the name of holistic review, where 1 aspect of an application isn’t supposed to exclude anybody.

Wow that sucks that they think a dumb test like CASPER matters. Thank you for showing this tho.

7:50
I mean I’m sure there’s enough good applicants who don’t have a 1Q Casper that there’s no point for them to take the “risk”(if there is such a thing) of interviewing a 1Q Casper. However, it’s disappointing they don’t take into account the fact that I’m sure there’s many great applicants who fall through the cracks of a 1Q Casper, especially in the name of holistic review, where 1 aspect of an application isn’t supposed to exclude anybody.

I literally love her!! That girl is awesome. (Edit: I was referring to the medical student. Her channel is great, and she went to undergrad at my school, very relatable)

Last edited:
for the prerequisites section, are you selecting only 2 semesters/3 quarters of (for example) bio courses or are you selecting all bio courses. if only selecting some, I should choose the ones I got the best grades in right lol

IS secondary received +1!

EDIT: secondary instead of II, I didn't realize that what I used as numerals were actually code for interview invite. Sorry for the heart attacks.

Last edited:
  • Haha
I think this applicant meant to say they received a secondary. As they don’t have an mcat score until October? Please correct me if I am wrong.
Yes I received and submitted the secondary to FAU. What I was saying afterward was that the CASPer requirement was no longer on the page that listed it a couple of months ago, so I called to get some clarification. They said to go ahead and submit it without the test completed.

You are also correct about the MCAT score.

So they said they no longer require Casper? Wonder what they’ll do with the 1Q score I’ve already sent them. lol.
I believe that they are reworking the test. Though, I don't know why they would entirely remove that webpage off their site instead of put as sticky somewhere.

I might be crazy. But they did drop any mention of Casper from their website. And I also don’t remember any mention of them scoring applications like Miami does, which is now on their website. Maybe they’ve very recently changed their process…
Please god let this be permanent.

Reactions: 2 users
Can confirm on the updated August 3rd SJT MSAR report, FAU does not list a SJT requirement. Now my only question is whether the damage has been done by them seeing my score already...
Lol SAMEEE with my 2nd quartile over here 💀

Can confirm on the updated August 3rd SJT MSAR report, FAU does not list a SJT requirement. Now my only question is whether the damage has been done by them seeing my score already...
I truly hope this is true, and that they don't take into account the scores already sent... I truly think CASPer test scoring is broken and means nothing.

Reactions: 2 users
How bad do you think it would look if I just copy/pasted my AMCAS most meaningful activity for question 5?

How bad do you think it would look if I just copy/pasted my AMCAS most meaningful activity for question 5?
They have thousands of applications to choose from. If you're cutting corners like this, you might as well save the $30 because you're going to get rejected.

They have thousands of applications to choose from. If you're cutting corners like this, you might as well save the $30 because you're going to get rejected.
Yea, I wrote a new essay, but it still needed up sounding familiar to my AMCAS submission. I don't know if that'll be perceived as cutting corners but there wasn't much more I could write about.

I was originally not going to fill out the secondary due to the video posted above and my low casper score (1st q). Is it worth it to fill out the secondary at this point? I'm OOS with no ties and received their secondary 3 weeks ago

I still have the admissions screening in progress, submitted 7/21

My status says admissions screening completed but says also says "invitation token not valid." anyone know what this means?

My status says admissions screening completed but says also says "invitation token not valid." anyone know what this means?
Interesting mine still says "Current Status: Admissions Screening in Progress"