The Republic of Texas XXIV: Will be posted on February 1, 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sexual relations is one of the most personal, spiritual act two people can share on this earth. Anyone who says sex is purely for the procreation of human kind has clearly missed the absolute, naked beauty of satisfying the needs, wants, and desires of being alive. I think ee cummings said it best in his work:

''i like my body when it is with your
body. It is so quite a new thing.
Muscles better and nerves more.
i like your body. i like what it does,
i like its hows. i like to feel the spine
of your body and its bones, and the trembling
-firm-smooth ness and which i will
again and again and again
kiss, i like kissing this and that of you,
i like,, slowly stroking the, shocking fuzz
of your electric fur, and what-is-it comes
over parting flesh . . . . And eyes big Love-crumbs,

and possibly i like the thrill

of under me you quite so new"

I believe that children are a celebrating result of sex, not a consequence. Any woman who has to face the decision to abort a fetus will probably suffer huge emotional trauma... no one is pro-choice at their core beliefs. Abortion is not a birth control, rather it is a last resort. Please do not humiliate yourself by thinking this is a "quick fix" for a "consequence."

If you don't enjoy sex... ignorance can allow you to have closed-minded beliefs.

I do respect the religious grounds, yet, as physicians, these are simply personal issues that do not affect patients.

I'd like to add another quote from Chuck Klosterman: "Apples and oranges aren't that different, really. I mean, they're both fruit. Their weight is extremely similar. They both contain acidic elements. They're both roughly spherical. They serve the same social purpose. With the exception of a tangerine, I can't think of anything more similar to an orange than an apple... So how is this a metaphor for difference? I could understand if you said, 'That's like comparing apples with the early work of Raymond Carver,' or 'That's like comparing apples with hermaphroditic ground sloths.' Those would all be valid examples of profound disparity. But not apples and oranges. In every meaningful way, they're virtually identical."

So go read a romantic novel and don't blush, enjoy the feeling of another human being without guilt, view "The Kiss" by Klimnt and goosebump. Just don't be narrow-minded as a physician. Be honest with yourself, relax, and help out your patients.

Also, please do not use the phrase "The reason is because..." in life. It's simply redundant and horrifying.

Best post in the HISTORY OF LIFE.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I just got off the phone with a friend who interviewed at UT-Houston. He claims he just got an offer posted on TMDSAS from UT-Houston.

Anyone hear anything from SAN ANTONIO?????

Hey Lemon, I completely agree with what it is that you're saying.

I don't believe procreation is the only purpose of sexual relations. The inseperable, unitive act is equally as important, but I chose not to go in to it for the sake of brevity. Otherwise, I would have gone on all night, haha.

I also believe that having children is not only the "celebrating result of sex", but that is also God's gift to us by allowing our participation in His creative work.

I help in teaching Catholic formation classes, and we have a whole theological exposition on the subject.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for phrasing my similar beliefs in a way much more eloquent than I could!

3 points, sorry for the long post:

1. Anyone seen the documentary "Lake of Fire"? Great look at both sides of the discussion. I think it's on Netflix instant watch. Be warned it's long.

2. I think that chasing an answer on abortion through philosophical arguments is a dead end. Most people agree that a zygote is alive from the moment of conception - it has everything necessary to independently form into an adult human. But most blastocysts never implant in the uterus - they are flushed with the period. An act of God, right? Not an intentional human action to destroy life? Interestingly, most people who oppose abortion are okay with the morning after pill, which very often works by preventing blastocyst implantation, so implicitly they grant that killing a blastocyst is acceptable. On the other hand, everyone agrees that it is wrong to kill an adult human. So, at some point between blastocyst and adult human it becomes wrong to destroy a life. If anybody can prove to me philosophically when this occurs, I'm game to listen. To date any argument I've heard for a specific time (e.g. the "age of viability") seems imprecise, relative, or arbitrary. So I fall back to practical issues: a) as has been noted a fetus has no consciousness, emotion, desires or established relationships, b) caring for a child is a huge burden that will dramatically and permanently alter the life of the mother, c) childbirth is a traumatic physical event that permanently changes the mother's body and carries the risk of serious complications, d) the mother does have consciousness, emotions, etc, and e) the actual live birth of a child provides a convenient (if arbitrary) point at which we can legally avoid the "slippery slope" idea (that killing born children without consciousness, etc for the mother's convenience is also acceptable under this line of thought). On the last point, I am sympathetic to those who would push back the latest date of a legal abortion (i.e. ban partial birth abortions).

3. The thing that I find most annoying in this debate is when people insert the notion that actions should have consequences. Most actions do have consequences, but I don't accept that there is some moral principle that they should. If you eat fatty foods all of your life and never exercise, will a cardiologist refuse to clean out your arteries because you should have to face the consequences of your actions? No, we try to eliminate the consequences. There is nothing morally wrong with this. I totally reject any argument against abortion that relies on the idea that sexual activity should have its consequences.

Sorry, I meant to add this quote as well. See my above post :) Oops.

Jon, this line of reasoning is dubious. You're getting confused between proximate and ultimate purposes/reasons of behaviour. The ultimate evolutionary reason humans have sex is obviously to procreate and pass on our genes. The proximate reason (the one that people are usually conscious of) is for the pleasure.

And...?

By interrupting the natural outcome of sexual intercourse, a person is separating the act from its true purpose. I can separate the ultimate and proximate reasons during sex (by using contraceptives, for instance), but this does not suddenly allow the ultimate reason for having sex to be thrown out in favor of the proximate reason.

Sexual relations is one of the most personal, spiritual act two people can share on this earth. Anyone who says sex is purely for the procreation of human kind has clearly missed the absolute, naked beauty of satisfying the needs, wants, and desires of being alive. I think ee cummings said it best in his work:

I believe that children are a celebrating result of sex, not a consequence. Any woman who has to face the decision to abort a fetus will probably suffer huge emotional trauma... no one is pro-choice at their core beliefs. Abortion is not a birth control, rather it is a last resort. Please do not humiliate yourself by thinking this is a "quick fix" for a "consequence."

If you don't enjoy sex... ignorance can allow you to have closed-minded beliefs.

I do respect the religious grounds, yet, as physicians, these are simply personal issues that do not affect patients.

I'd like to add another quote from Chuck Klosterman: "Apples and oranges aren't that different, really. I mean, they're both fruit. Their weight is extremely similar. They both contain acidic elements. They're both roughly spherical. They serve the same social purpose. With the exception of a tangerine, I can't think of anything more similar to an orange than an apple... So how is this a metaphor for difference? I could understand if you said, 'That's like comparing apples with the early work of Raymond Carver,' or 'That's like comparing apples with hermaphroditic ground sloths.' Those would all be valid examples of profound disparity. But not apples and oranges. In every meaningful way, they're virtually identical."

So go read a romantic novel and don't blush, enjoy the feeling of another human being without guilt, view "The Kiss" by Klimnt and goosebump. Just don't be narrow-minded as a physician. Be honest with yourself, relax, and help out your patients.

Also, please do not use the phrase "The reason is because..." in life. It's simply redundant and horrifying.

I like this a lot.

I've quite often thought about becoming a bouncer at a strip club to take out some aggression.

spineless, chicken****, pathetic...just throwing some out

Last edited:

a lot of people have said this already, but AMAZING POST! love it on all levels.

Members don't see this ad :)
ok so on that note, i'm going personally high-jack the thread (even if only temporarily)... I will be spending today in a blissful cocoon of self centered oblivion. all i have to contribute today is:

today's my birthday. go me.

rockin' all january 25th's since 1986...

Last edited:
ok so on that note, i'm going personally high-jack the thread (even if only temporarily)... I will be spending today in a blissful cacoon of self centered oblivion. all i have to contribute today is:

rockin all janurary 25's since 1986...

Happy birthday Maggie. :)

ok so on that note, i'm going personally high-jack the thread (even if only temporarily)... I will be spending today in a blissful cacoon of self centered oblivion. all i have to contribute today is:

rockin all january 25's since 1986...

Happy Birthday :)

rockin all janurary 25's since 1986...

Happy Birthday! Wow, I was ten when you were born! Have a great day!

Happy birthday. ;)

So yeah, does anyone else want to shoot their monitor after watching that video I posted earlier?

Happy birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

thanks all! :biglove:

and exi, i think you should be shot for posting it... :smuggrin: i only made it through the first minute and a half... and that i'm pretty sure my IQ was exponentially decaying during that 90seconds.

Well, I just got off the phone with a friend who interviewed at UT-Houston. He claims he just got an offer posted on TMDSAS from UT-Houston.

Anyone hear anything from SAN ANTONIO?????

On 1-13 I had accepted UTSA and declined UTMB and TAMU, and ranked UTSW, UTH, and UTSA in that order. My current "Choice of Offers" page now shows UT-Houston (as "Accepted", wasn't even listed before) and "Declined" for the others, and nothing about Southwestern.

On 1-13 I had accepted UTSA and declined UTMB and TAMU, and ranked UTSW, UTH, and UTSA in that order. My current "Choice of Offers" page now shows UT-Houston (as "Accepted", wasn't even listed before) and "Declined" for the others, and nothing about Southwestern.

I can't even access the "Choice of Offers" page anymore...

i think gecko's just trying to get us stirred up! :laugh:

but speaking of our tmdsas pages, i had a dream a few nights ago that tmdsas had a counter on our applicant page that tracked everytime we logged in, and the schools used this number to judge how neurotic we are... :eek:

fortunately i can prove there is no such counter by the very fact that i've been accepted at all!:laugh:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztoSUhbNntQ[/YOUTUBE]

i think gecko's just trying to get us stirred up! :laugh:

but speaking of our tmdsas pages, i had a dream a few nights ago that tmdsas had a counter on our applicant page that tracked everytime we logged in, and the schools used this number to judge how neurotic we are... :eek:

fortunately i can prove there is no such counter by the very fact that i've been accepted at all!:laugh:
or that they like neurotics :)

he isn't lying! i have uth as accepted...

oh, dang, actually i can see tech now as listed in my 'or view' page!!!!!

WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(think it's too early to get excited?)

Ehhhh, I hope this doesn't mean that all the offers are leaked. I haven't got a thing on my "or view" page -- like savant.

Maggie, does it also list your prematch offer with a decline next to it? I am just hoping I didn't screw something up.

Maggie, does it also list your prematch offer with a decline next to it? I am just hoping I didn't screw something up.

yes...

my 'choose pre match offers' page used to say:
utsa - accept
a&m - decline
tcom - decline

now my 'or view' page says:
utsa - decline
a&m - decline
tech - accept
tcom - decline

additionally all the drop down menus only have one option (whatever was next to them), with the exception of tech's now that has decline and accept...

Oh crap...then if this is the match results then I didn't match to anything except my pre-match. Do yall think this is a glitch?

Oh crap...then if this is the match results then I didn't match to anything except my pre-match. Do yall think this is a glitch?

It would have to be since the match results aren't supposed to be released until Friday.

Dunno if this is an all-schools / all-offers-included glitch or not, though. If it is, well, that sucks. :laugh:

yes...

utsa - accept
a&m - decline
tcom - decline

utsa - decline
a&m - decline
tech - accept
tcom - decline

additionally all the drop down menus only have one option (whatever was next to them), with the exception of tech's now that has decline and accept...

Did the one next to Tech already have accept next to it. Mine is blank but gives me the option of Accept/Decline but next to TCOM it says Decline

well poop on a stick, i hope this doesnt mean all the match offers are out... i was really hoping for UTH

well it's entirely possible that these aren't the 'real' and/or complete results yet.

however, i'm sure there are people that will match to their pre-match... that won't be a glitch and will still be really exciting and congrats will be in order.

"didn't match to anything except my pre-match" (hello?!? that's sounds like saying 'i played the lottery but all i got was this crappy $10,000 prize':laugh:)

For me it says Texas Tech (Accept/Decline) in the drop down and for TCOM it says (Decline) in the drop down...but UTH, UTHSCSA or UTMB aren't listed at all...this "glitch" is going to make this week even more agonizing!

yes...

utsa - accept
a&m - decline
tcom - decline

utsa - decline
a&m - decline
tech - accept
tcom - decline

Uh oh....What was the Last Updated date? I have no change, but my last update still shows as 1-15-09

well it's entirely possible that these aren't the 'real' and/or complete results yet.

however, i'm sure there are people that will match to their pre-match... that won't be a glitch and will still be really exciting and congrats will be in order.

"didn't match to anything except my pre-match" (hello?!? that's sounds like saying 'i played the lottery but all i got was this crappy $10,000 prize':laugh:)

hahaha....ok sry...that did sound bad! A ticket to any med school is a grand prize :)

Did the one next to Tech already have accept next to it. Mine is blank but gives me the option of Accept/Decline but next to TCOM it says Decline

yeah, mine had accept next to it when i opened the page. in theory i could attempt to change it (which I won't), but there's no "save" button, so i dunno.

and yes my top choice pre match (san antonio) now says 'decline'

Uh oh....What was the Last Updated date? I have no change, but my last update still shows as 1-15-09

yeah, same here: 1-15-2009

(but it lies because those are NOT the same options i had two weeks ago!!! :D )

yeah, mine had accept next to it when i opened the page. in theory i could attempt to change it (which I won't), but there's no "save" button, so i dunno.

and yes my top choice pre match (san antonio) now says 'decline'

I hope this really is our match results. I feel like it's Nov. 13th all over when I saw my TCOM results early. Hopefully it is and we'll be classmates at Tech this fall! And it would be a nice bday gift!

mine shows: 1-13-09

but i ranked a pre-match #1, so i have no changes

Status
Not open for further replies.