The Republic of Texas XLI: You'll Never Break A Horse if You Stay Sittin' on the Fence

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very non-trad! 10 years out of undergrad and career changer :)

100% this. I cannot express the relief. I know a lot of us get super anxious about rankings and top choice schools but the truth is I am grateful beyond compare to have any prematch in hand. I came into this fully expecting to have to apply another cycle, when that first prematch rolled in I bawled like a baby and told everyone I knew I was gonna be a doctor. WE'RE GONNA BE DOCTORS, LET THAT SINK IN.
You replied to my comment a while ago and wanted to bring it back because I still see this very much relevant. I know you’re going through a hard time and there’s no easy way to get out of a situation like yours. But I know healing and reaching out to loved ones may give you comfort. Time will not heal all but we learn to grow from moments like these (if not we learn to live with them). I am very PROUD of you and although I don’t know much about you know you’re an amazing person who is going to become a doctor with heartwarming qualities

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
Um so I matched into my top number 1 school today but my number 2 school emailed me about being placed on their waitlist? I thought my application would be withdrawn from those below where I matched.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
Um so I matched into my top number 1 school today but my number 2 school emailed me about being placed on their waitlist? I thought my application would be withdrawn from those below where I matched.
It seems it’s happening to multiple people. It’s probably just an error on their end. @wysdoc is saying to just politely email them back saying thanks but that you’re choosing another school (that’s what I did)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Matched to SHSU COM!!!

I'm gonna be a doctorrrr!!!

• Love
Reactions: 11 users

Attachments

• elegance-spy-x-family.gif
    elegance-spy-x-family.gif
    6.1 MB · Views: 72
  • Wow
  • Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Is this a school other than UT Tyler or Baylor? Both these schools sent WLs to people who matched to their top ranked programs.

@wysdoc If I accept my matched school's acceptance offer through their portal, would I still be able to accept a WL offer from a higher ranked school until May 15th?

Should I send a letter of intent if i have been waitlisted and didnt match 😩

Members don't see this ad :)
Should I send a letter of intent if i have been waitlisted and didnt match 😩
It wouldn’t hurt to send one now imo (unless the school does not accept them).

Does anyone know if schools like UTMB, TAMU or UTT will accept this course (link below) as a biochem prereq?

Does anyone know if schools like UTMB, TAMU or UTT will accept this course (link below) as a biochem prereq?

@NothingBurger the TMDSAS Guide is "down" right now to update for the next application cycle, but when it's back up and running again click on "Coursework" on the menu in the instructions, and then you can search by individual colleges to see if that course number is approved by TMDSAS as a prerequisite.

@NothingBurger the TMDSAS Guide is "down" right now to update for the next application cycle, but when it's back up and running again click on "Coursework" on the menu in the instructions, and then you can search by individual colleges to see if that course number is approved by TMDSAS as a prerequisite.
I saw the course number on the TMDSAS website, but I was wondering if each school had specific rules regarding which courses they accept.

Also, the course number on TMDSAS is for UC San Diego, but this is UC San Diego Extension. Not sure if they'll treat it differently.

I saw the course number on the TMDSAS website, but I was wondering if each school had specific rules regarding which courses they accept.

Also, the course number on TMDSAS is for UC San Diego, but this is UC San Diego Extension. Not sure if they'll treat it differently.
Not sure why you are making that distinction since UC San Diego is giving you the credit whether it is extension or main school. It is accepted.

Are you admitted to these schools or are you applying next year? Your TMDSAS transcript should already have told you if have any deficiency if they don't like this course because it is from an extension.

I can tell you schools are very liberal in allowing you to take credit even if TMDSAS doesn't. I have known both Dell and UTSW accept lab classes from Biomedical engineering to cover for basic science lab deficiency while TMDSAS turned a student down. So you can approach the school and make a legit claim for waiver if you have taken or plan to take it.

No, the schools don't have more stringent requirements than TMDSAS, nor do they specify what colleges you can take courses at, as long as the college is accredited. You should always take prerequisite courses graded, not pass/fail, if possible.

Not sure why you are making that distinction since UC San Diego is giving you the credit whether it is extension or main school. It is accepted.

Are you admitted to these schools or are you applying next year? Your TMDSAS transcript should already have told you if have any deficiency if they don't like this course because it is from an extension.

I can tell you schools are very liberal in allowing you to take credit even if TMDSAS doesn't. I have known both Dell and UTSW accept lab classes from Biomedical engineering to cover for basic science lab deficiency while TMDSAS turned a student down. So you can approach the school and make a legit claim for waiver if you have taken or plan to take it.
Admitted to one school and on the waitlist for the others. Thanks for the response. I am currently taking this class and the PCR shows this class on there in the biochem line. So I guess it's accepted. It's just one of these schools, TAMU asks for 5 quarter hours or 3 semester hours. This course is 4.5 quarter hours which actually converts to 3 semester hours. So it's mostly semantics that gives me these doubts.

No, the schools don't have more stringent requirements than TMDSAS, nor do they specify what colleges you can take courses at, as long as the college is accredited. You should always take prerequisite courses graded, not pass/fail, if possible.
Perfect! This is what I needed to hear. Out of these schools, TAMU specifically has these stringent requirements on their website for these courses and I am not sure if they are more conservative than TMDSAS or not.

Admitted to one school and on the waitlist for the others. Thanks for the response. I am currently taking this class and the PCR shows this class on there in the biochem line. So I guess it's accepted. It's just one of these schools, TAMU asks for 5 quarter hours or 3 semester hours. This course is 4.5 quarter hours which actually converts to 3 semester hours. So it's mostly semantics that gives me these doubts.

Perfect! This is what I needed to hear. Out of these schools, TAMU specifically has these stringent requirements on their website for these courses and I am not sure if they are more conservative than TMDSAS or not.
I think it says 5 because one rarely sees a 4.5 credit class in a quarter system and they usually always round it off to 5, especially most science programs. If your PCR says you are meeting the standard the school actually wont say a word because they leave it upto TMDSAS to ensure the students are meeting the requirements. Only if your PCR has a deficiency it falls upon you to negotiate directly with the school and TMDSAS will tell you so - the caveat being you must be actually admitted in order to work with the school.

Have people received notice that they are on the WL at schools yet? The TMDSAS website said that you would hear from the schools individually. I didn’t match and haven’t heard anything else.
I know Baylor, TCOM, and UT Tyler have sent out some WL emails already. The other schools will follow soon. A few schools have a small or selective WL (like Dell & Baylor) but some schools add everyone not accepted. I'm sorry but I don't know at this time which are which.

I know Baylor, TCOM, and UT Tyler have sent out some WL emails already. The other schools will follow soon. A few schools have a small or selective WL (like Dell & Baylor) but some schools add everyone not accepted. I'm sorry but I don't know at this time which are which.
UTMB as well.

I thought Baylor waitlisted everyone who interviewed (and ranked Baylor higher than where they matched)? What makes you think they have a selective waitlist?

Last edited:
I thought the same, as there is absolutely no reason they should have waitlisted me given my horrible interview experience 😂

I thought Baylor waitlisted everyone who interviewed (and ranked Baylor higher than where they matched)? What makes you think they have a selective waitlist?
Show me your supporting data @texaspete123
According to MSAR Baylor admissions staff will vote to activate the WL if the class is not full as of April 30.
This suggests there will be little WL action in the next 2 months.

I thought the same, as there is absolutely no reason they should have waitlisted me given my horrible interview experience 😂
Bombed my Baylor interview too (felt great about the other 4 interviews i did) and got the waitlist email just wanted to let you know you’re not alone 💀

• Care
I’m definitely by no means complaining - if Baylor’s WL is indeed selective I am floored and honored to be on it. Just don’t want to get my hopes up, haha. Both of my interviewers were from Temple and were very frowny when I specifically mentioned I wanted Houston campus as I want to focus on inner urban health :( The interviews felt very cold and… almost negative (?) after that, so I had no reason to suspect they would put me on a selective WL.

Show me your supporting data @texaspete123
According to MSAR Baylor admissions staff will vote to activate the WL if the class is not full as of April 30.
This suggests there will be little WL action in the next 2 months.
Oh, I agree with that. I just was referring to the fact that they seem to consider everyone who interviewed and who ranked Baylor higher than where they matched as waitlisted. That they weren’t selective about who is considered waitlisted right now.

Well everyone. It looks like my time of stalking SDN has come to an end. I am sure I will be back at some point, but for now this is goodbye.

Thank you all for the amazing support system y’all have provided me. Even though I do not know any of you personally, I feel like I have made many friends along the process.

Wysdoc, I want to give you a special thanks for all of your help. You go out of your way to help all of us nervous/over-stressed/over-caffeinated applicants. I hope I can one day return the favor to applicants in the future.

Congratulations to everyone who matched, and best of luck to all those waitlisted this year. Y’all are all bound to be amazing physicians, leaders, and people in general.

Adios everyone! I’ll see y’all in margaritaville!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 13 users
Well everyone. It looks like my time of stalking SDN has come to an end. I am sure I will be back at some point, but for now this is goodbye.

Thank you all for the amazing support system y’all have provided me. Even though I do not know any of you personally, I feel like I have made many friends along the process.

Wysdoc, I want to give you a special thanks for all of your help. You go out of your way to help all of us nervous/over-stressed/over-caffeinated applicants. I hope I can one day return the favor to applicants in the future.

Congratulations to everyone who matched, and best of luck to all those waitlisted this year. Y’all are all bound to be amazing physicians, leaders, and people in general.

Adios everyone! I’ll see y’all in margaritaville!
Thanks for being a friend to others on SDN and enjoy the time between now & starting school!

I’m definitely by no means complaining - if Baylor’s WL is indeed selective I am floored and honored to be on it. Just don’t want to get my hopes up, haha. Both of my interviewers were from Temple and were very frowny when I specifically mentioned I wanted Houston campus as I want to focus on inner urban health :( The interviews felt very cold and… almost negative (?) after that, so I had no reason to suspect they would put me on a selective WL.
Did they ask you about campus preference? Or did you bring it up? In an interview setting, I feel like it would be extremely difficult to talk about campus preference tactfully. In any case, https://students-residents.aamc.org/media/7056/download shows 500-550 students on Baylor waitlist, with 25 or so being selected last cycle.

Did they ask you about campus preference? Or did you bring it up? In an interview setting, I feel like it would be extremely difficult to talk about campus preference tactfully. In any case, https://students-residents.aamc.org/media/7056/download shows 500-550 students on Baylor waitlist, with 25 or so being selected last cycle.
The Baylor dean said that a campus preference survey would be sent out after Match Day. This has been discussed and links posted in the Baylor thread.

The Baylor dean said that a campus preference survey would be sent out after Match Day. This has been discussed and links posted in the Baylor thread.
I am aware of this. I was referencing campus preference as not being totally appropriate to bring up in the interview setting, unless asked.

I am aware of this. I was referencing campus preference as not being totally appropriate to bring up in the interview setting, unless asked.
I agree with you. The only time I discussed campuses was when I was asked "Why Baylor" I gave reasons for why I would love to attend either campus (had specific reasons for each) but more importantly focused on the core things that make Baylor great (curriculum, culture, etc.).

I brought up campuses when they specifically asked what resources at Baylor made me choose the school, and I cited specific examples from Houston campus and how it aligned with my statement (which made it clear my focus was medicine for the underserved urban population). I suppose I could have answered more diplomatically but didn’t feel comfortable trying to stretch the truth to encompass Temple when that would have come off disingenuous.

500 on the waitlist is definitely not selective, that’s an automatic waitlist for sure. And 25 being pulled from that is minuscule odds, so Baylor is out of my radar for now! Wonder why some of the schools have no info :( On a side note, WL status at some of these AMCAS schools have great odds, plus a few Texas schools too (the Techs have great WL odds!)

Apologies in advance, but I have to ask. Is Anatomy and Physiology 1 considered as Advanced Biological Sciences? A&M website says Integrated Anatomy and Physiology is advanced biological sciences, but I'm not sure if that includes A&P1.. Sorry for all these questions. Just want to make sure I won't run into any trouble later on.
From which school? Have you checked TMDSAS for your school course listings to see where that course falls (in theory we have no idea what course you are referring to).

Apologies in advance, but I have to ask. Is Anatomy and Physiology 1 considered as Advanced Biological Sciences? A&M website says Integrated Anatomy and Physiology is advanced biological sciences, but I'm not sure if that includes A&P1.. Sorry for all these questions. Just want to make sure I won't run into any trouble later on.
Here is their detailed explanation of the prereqs. MD Application Requirements
When they say junior or senior level, that usually means the course number starts with a 3 or a 4
If you have any other questions about a particular school, you need to contact them directly

I did a DIY post bacc and took this class at a dallas community college and the course is 2401 Anatomy and Physiology I. It is on the TMDSAS course listings.

The requirements at A&M is "The advanced biological sciences requirements must include junior and senior university level biological science courses such as but not limited to Biochemistry, Fundamentals of Microbiology, Molecular Cell Biology, Cell Biology, Developmental Biology, Genetics, Genomics, Ecology, Integrated Human Anatomy and Physiology, Neural Development, etc."

The stress is killing me since I got accepted to A&M but I am not certain if I meet their course requirement. Thanks in advance for your help!
Not sure why you are so concerned since you are ALREADY in!

Nothing their website says is relevant once you are admited since all of that information is aimed to clarify things to applicants.
Have you looked at your PCR or whatever the TMDSAS report is listing any shortfalls? If they dont say you have something missing, A&M would never ask you about it.

Did anyone who still hasn’t received a transcript request from TMDSAS (but should have) contact them about it?

From my undergrad’s email for pre Med students:
John Sealy School of Medicine will host a Reapplicant Workshop for individuals planning to reapply for the MD 2023-2024 cycle. They will be providing an overview of requirements and tips for a successful application and interview cycle. The workshop will be on April 11th, from 3:00 - 5:00 PM.

Registration information is attached, and the direct link is: https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_PG7njIcFTNyS9kLRQbdDcg

For any additional questions, please contact [email protected]

Currently sitting on 2 waitlists to McGovern and UTMB. I know we just have to wait it out, but does anyone know people who have gotten into these 2 from the waitlist/how likely it may be to get either one?

Currently sitting on 2 waitlists to McGovern and UTMB. I know we just have to wait it out, but does anyone know people who have gotten into these 2 from the waitlist/how likely it may be to get either one?
McGovern had already made a couple of offers, keep your hopes up

• Care
I just got an email from TTUHSC saying that they have placed me on the alternate list. When would be a good time to send a letter of intent? I've got my dissertation defense on Wednesday so I'd like to send the letter on Thursday or Friday so that I'd have some meaningful updates to provide to the committee

Last edited:
I just got an email from TTUHSC saying that they have placed me on the alternate list. When would be a good time to send a letter of intent? I've got my dissertation defense on Wednesday so I'd like to send the letter on Thursday or Friday so that I'd have some meaningful updates to give
That sounds soon enough, good luck on Wednesday

Status
Not open for further replies.