Michigan 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turnbackhelly

Cornell CVM c/o 2014
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I hope a thread hasn't already been started for this (did a quick search and found nothing). For all of you MSU applicants out there, I'm assuming you probably got the same email that I did a few days ago:

"Dear Applicant,
The purpose of this e-mail is to update you on the application process status at Michigan State University College of Veterinary Medicine. All competitive applicants can expect to receive supplemental applications between Thursday, October 22, 2009 and the second week of December. The supplementals will be sent in groups as completed files are evaluated. Your file will be evaluated in the order in which it became complete (VMCAS application, eLORs, all transcripts, GRE scores).

Sincerely,
The Admissions Team"

Since it sounds like some people might be hearing from MSU soon, I thought I'd start a thread to keep each other updated! Good luck everyone! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I got that email too! Ahhhhh!!! Nothing to do but wait for the supplemental (hopefully!)!

Got it too :D. I hate that they don't interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
As much as I (obviously) want a supplemental, I'm kind of hoping that IF they do decide to send me one, they wait until after the next two weeks are over - too many exams to study for to only have 5 days to do the supplemental! haha

Got it too :D. I hate that they don't interview.

well, technically they DO still interview...they just don't interview EVERYONE they accept.

From their website:
Up to 60% of the class will be selected based on exceptional SIS score and an acceptable committee file review. The remaining 40% of the class will be selected based on a competitive SIS score plus a committee file review and/or an interview.

although i agree, it's irritating that they changed their process

well, technically they DO still interview...they just don't interview EVERYONE they accept.

From their website:
Up to 60% of the class will be selected based on exceptional SIS score and an acceptable committee file review. The remaining 40% of the class will be selected based on a competitive SIS score plus a committee file review and/or an interview.

although i agree, it's irritating that they changed their process

I've talked to several people when I've visited the school (I'm IS but not at MSU) and they've said that they didn't interview anyone last year and they weren't going to this year as far they knew...bummer. If you have a high number (really high) and you send back your supplemental and all, you're basically in. that's only based on what they tell me though. I don't have a really high number, so for me it's a non-issue. The file review is in lieu of an interview (of all that sent back their supplementals) and they just add points onto your SIS score based on experiences/etc. So it becomes more of a numbers game. I know that they like research experience a lot there and am hoping that that makes up for my slightly low numbers (not horrible, but certainly not great):xf:

I didn't get my VMCAS and everything to them until about September 10, so I think it'll be a while before I hear anything... but they are definitely my #1, so it's exciting to get any news about the process moving forward! :luck: good luck everyone.

Chapelle (and any others wondering about their SIS),

I went to an information session at MSU over the summer, and we were told specifically how to calculate our SIS score. I'm about to head to bed, but after work/school tomorrow, I can look for the instructions for you if you'd like :) or if someone else went to one of the sessions and has the information handy, maybe they could also post.

Last edited:
I didn't get my VMCAS and everything to them until about September 10, so I think it'll be a while before I hear anything... but they are definitely my #1, so it's exciting to get any news about the process moving forward! :luck: good luck everyone.

They're my #1 too, are you IS? Do you know if they send out supplementals on a rolling basis? That's one question that I neglected to ask.

I go to MSU, and am in the pre-vet club. We had the dean of admissions come give a presentation, and do a Q&A session about the new admissions system a few weeks ago, and basically this is what we gathered about interviews:
1. They're not doing very many, only if they have questions about your file that you didn't answer in your application.
2. If you get an interview, it probably isn't a good thing, like "oh cool let's learn more about the exciting research she did"...it's probably like "hm, this seems shady, maybe we should interview...".

Also, to calculate your SIS score...
take your overall gpa, divide by 4, and then multiply that by 270
take your science gpa, divide by 4, and multiply that by 320
take your last 3 semesters gpa, divide by 4, and multiply by 200
take your GRE score, divide by 1600, and multiply by 210.

Add it all up and you get your SIS score. it's out of 1000 points. I have no idea what the SIS score for admitted applicants is, but I know that to be "academically competitive" and receive a supplemental application, you have to have above a 790.

Add it all up and you get your SIS score. it's out of 1000 points. I have no idea what the SIS score for admitted applicants is, but I know that to be "academically competitive" and receive a supplemental application, you have to have above a 790.

Thanks for this information!! Assuming I calculated correctly, my score is 937... gives me hope!!:xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
They're my #1 too, are you IS? Do you know if they send out supplementals on a rolling basis? That's one question that I neglected to ask.

Yup, MSU is my IS! Yours too, I'm guessing? How weird...this time next year (assuming all goes well :xf:) we could be classmates!

This is what they said about sending supplementals:
"The supplementals will be sent in groups as completed files are evaluated. Your file will be evaluated in the order in which it became complete (VMCAS application, eLORs, all transcripts, GRE scores)."

Hm, if I calculated correctly, I have about an 825. Probably not good enough for OOS.

The SIS score for the average GPA and GRE from last year was about 872.

I just realized though that I'm not sure if it's enough to just have my AP credit on my transcript (I knew I'd forget something) . . . :scared:

Hm, if I calculated correctly, I have about an 825. Probably not good enough for OOS.

The SIS score for the average GPA and GRE from last year was about 872.

I just realized though that I'm not sure if it's enough to just have my AP credit on my transcript (I knew I'd forget something) . . . :scared:

woah, really it was only 872?? i have an 885...that makes me feel much better about myself...

uhhh!! your scores are significantly higher than mine...at least I'm still "academically competitive". I'm really banking on my research to get me points. I looked at the stats from 2013, and I have like 3 of the non-academic factors, so :xf:that comes into play for me. Good Luck all! hopefully we can all kick it in EL next year.

Did anyone else see this: "The Supplemental Application and $50.00 fee will be due within five working days of the electronic request."

From the "Selection Process" part of the website. Geez, I hope I don't have anything too important going on that week!!

I go to MSU, and am in the pre-vet club. We had the dean of admissions come give a presentation, and do a Q&A session about the new admissions system a few weeks ago, and basically this is what we gathered about interviews:
1. They're not doing very many, only if they have questions about your file that you didn't answer in your application.
2. If you get an interview, it probably isn't a good thing, like "oh cool let's learn more about the exciting research she did"...it's probably like "hm, this seems shady, maybe we should interview...".

Only a 790? I think I made it this year!
Haha. My GPA really hasn't changed, but my GRE has gone up quite a bit. I think I have about an 820 now. Still sucks, but hopefully in the running. One of my LORs is a well-respected Mich grad, so maybe they'll listen to him.

soooooo
i didn't send in my VMCAS until Sept. 29th, but I got my supplemental application via email today.

I'm freaking out because I have a physics exam tomorrow, and orgo II exam thursday, and this application is due on Nov. 2nd.

Who needs sleep? not me, apparently...

i didn't send my VMCAS in until mid-september and i was also confused/happy to get the supplemental today!

:luck:
(this little good luck clover guy is too cute)

Congrats, guys!!! So glad to hear you received supplementals today! :D

Just out of curiosity, purplepup21, are you IS or OOS? I'm just wondering if IS/OOS has anything to do with how they are sending them out. I'm guessing from MSUSpartan's previous post that he/she is IS. I submitted my VMCAS before MSUSpartan, on Sept 10th (and all transcripts/GRE scores way back in July), but I am OOS... I'm hoping this is the difference! Although being OOS, I am fully prepared for a rejection. Well, maybe not fully...

EDIT: Never mind, just went back and read the whole thread again and now I see that you are also IS! This gives me hope... but again, CONGRATS!! Good luck with it!

Last edited:
I received the supplemental invitation today, as well, and I am an OOS resident (from Pennsylvania).

I submitted my VMCAS application October 1st.

Goodluck!

So, I'm IS and didn't get anything today. So I'm hella-worried :scared:...it's really early in the game I keep telling myself...but I tend to be a bit pessimistic My SIS is a bit lower than all of yours, but hopefully something somewhat soon.:xf:

jpeterman13, I hear you! I know it's completely irrational but I am also rapidly losing hope, especially since I submitted my VMCAS relatively early (9/10) - although my [personally calculated] SIS score was fairly high. But because of the date I submitted, I'm thinking that even if I won't be getting a supplemental, I should at least be getting a rejection soon? This makes me worry that maybe they lost/didn't receive one of my transcripts. Do you think I should call and see if they've got everything, or just chill the eff out for a little while? :rolleyes:

I didn't get the supplemental yet either- I'm OOS and submitted October 1st. I'm starting to get worried too- my SIS is at the low end and I was on the waitlist last year (GPA has gone up a bit). Maybe they are sending them out by SIS score?
:scared:

I didn't get the supplemental yet either- I'm OOS and submitted October 1st. I'm starting to get worried too- my SIS is at the low end and I was on the waitlist last year (GPA has gone up a bit). Maybe they are sending them out by SIS score?
:scared:
That's what I was thinking. If that's the case, maybe next Monday? because don't they have to be submitted within 5 days?

I received my supplemental today, as well. I'm OOS and submitted my VMCAS on Oct 1st. It looks like a lot of work.

600 characters for each question due by Nov 2nd + Tufts application + classes = :eek:

Like many of you reporting on this post I am IS and also have an SIS score on the lower end of the bell. However, I would encourage the rest of you to remain patient and think positively. We may not get invited to submit a supplemental but its still very early and its expected that they will initially send apps to the most competitive scores first.

They have over 900 apps and I would think after they send supplementals to the top 20-40% they then probably review the rest in waves. At this point all we can do is hold tight, cross our fingers, and hope we get something in the next 7 weeks. Who knows....maybe they will send out new apps every Monday through December.

Also I forgot to mention...Good luck and congratulations to those of you who received your supplemental.

Maybe they do it alphabetically? I'm near the first half of the alphabet. Don't give up yet! Good luck. :)

Maybe they do it alphabetically? I'm near the first half of the alphabet. Don't give up yet! Good luck. :)
Yea I'm an "R". That might be the case. Hopefully it's something that simple. I hate being at the end of the alphabet. It always screws me!

Hmm... I'm a B with a pretty decent SIS score (>900)... so I'm definitely stumped here. :confused:

Yea I'm an "R". That might be the case. Hopefully it's something that simple. I hate being at the end of the alphabet. It always screws me!

i'm really curious how they're sending them out, the initial email said that they would in the order that they were received, but i submitted everything mid-september... unless everyone is an equally bad procrastinator as i am!!

oh, i'm also near the end of the alphabet, in-state, and my (totally self-calculated and possibly incorrect) SIS score is a bit over 900, if that helps anyone figure anything out.

Last edited:
I got my email yesterday. I'm OOS, submitted Sept. 9th, near the end of the alphabet, and with a SIS score that's probably just barely past the minimum.

I also apparently am disqualified based off of the supplemental website (it says I need the full 1-year sequence of o-chem). Since their website said you needed 6 semester hours of organic chemistry/lab, I thought I would be ok with my 3 credit hours of lecture and 4 of lab. I shouldn't be surprised that their website's pre-req information didn't say what they meant it to say. I should have thought about its poor design (using an image instead of a clickable link for contact info, freakishly slow loading times in safari), and reasoned that the poor layout on the site would translate over to poor verbiage on their requirements. But yay! I now don't have to spend $50 or fill out another supplemental!

For those who have not called MSU to confirm receipt of all your materials, you may want to. I just called this afternoon and it turns out they're missing my GRE scores, even though I have confirmation from ETS that they were sent back in July. Annoying, but at least now I know this is why I haven't heard from them yet and it's not because they don't like me (yet...)!

I've called them a few times and they've assured me that everything is in. I am sending them a new transcript that has my degree posted, so maybe that's what they are waiting for (even though the grades haven't changed at all). I don't want to annoy them, but I've got this terrible feeling that something has gone wrong...:eek:. TocarKarin, that's a bummer, sorry to hear! I did not care for the layout of the website either. All of these schools (or the ones that I applied to anyways) need to take a page out of Western's book because I found their website to be the easiest to navigate.

do you guys know what they want for "exceptional veterinary/animal experience" in the supplemental?
I feel like i just have normal veterinary/animal experience...nothing 'exceptional'...and they already know what it is, because i put it in my vmcas...but i feel dumb writing "not applicable" for that section...

I would just expand on your veterinary experience even though you've already mentioned it. Something is better than nothing.

They must go in random batches or something.
I called earlier to check on a transcript that I had to have re-sent (the college I was sending it from "missed a page"--AGGH! They told me, not purdue)

The woman I talked to said "oh, we haven't evaluated you yet."
I'm OOS, beginning of the alphabet, and an okay SIS score. Submitted around Sept 26th. So I'm still hoping!

I was wondering if anyone heard from MSU today. They sent out supplementals last Monday and I didnt see anyone post about receiving anything today. Thanks for the update.

Nothing here, although I'm now not really expecting to hear from them anytime soon. I had to re-send my lost GRE scores last Wednesday, so who knows when they'll actually get there, and then when the committee will actually get around to reviewing my file... :(

Nothing here. I sent an email last week to confirm that my materials had arrived (as mentioned in the CSU thread, I've had some issues with transcripts), and I received an email confirming that they had. I'm trying to look on the bright side - this would have been a bad week for me to work on a supplemental anyway.

Has anyone heard anything from MSU since the initial wave of supplements were sent out? starting to get a bit nervous over here.. :confused: