This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheLeadSeed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Basically what title says. Had time poor management and was over-involved in undergrad but learned from mistakes.

Graduate program at Johns Hopkins was 1 year post-bacc, 40 credits in sciences. Earned a MS Biotech through it.

AACOMAS verified stats:

undergrad cGPA/sGPA: 3.19/2.95
graduate cGPA/sGPA: 4.0/4.0
overall non-science/science: 3.65/3.28
overall: 3.39

MCAT total: 508
CP:126/CARS:124/Bio:129/PS:129

Have 3 letters of rec from different D.O.s.

D.O. School List:
-PCOM
-Rowan
-LECOM
-VCOM Virginia
-NOVA

M.D. School List:
-NOVA
-Howard
-Carle Illinois

I’m a Maryland resident and want to stay close to home or close to the east coast.

Thanks for the help guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What do you mean by overall? Did you combine undergrad and grad GPAs? They are separate.
I think AACOMAS combines undergrad and grad GPA's and calls it "overall". I attached an image below and highlighted the different GPAs

Attachments

• verified GPAs.png
    verified GPAs.png
    203.5 KB · Views: 113
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

Long time lurker here. I attended undergrad from 2012-2016, and pretty much through my entire college career had poor time management and focused too much on extracurriculars rather than academics.

I knew I needed to reinvent and prove myself somehow if I wanted to get into med school. From May 2017-May 2018, I attended the Johns Hopkins Post-Bacc Health Science Intensive program (40 credits) and earned a MS in Biotechnology. I took classes such as mol bio, biochem, epidemiology, cell bio, animal phys, healthcare leadership, and healthcare communication.

I've definitely matured from the program and know I can excel academically. I also think I can explain what I've learned from my mistakes and how I have grown and will not let something like that happen in medical school.

AACOMAS verified stats:

undergrad cGPA/sGPA: 3.19/2.95
graduate cGPA/sGPA: 4.0/4.0
overall non-science/science: 3.65/3.28
overall: 3.39

MCAT: 4/20 exam: *will be updating my MCAT score tomorrow (May 22), but my practice scores were 505-507*

I also have about 60 hours shadowing 6 different D.O.'s. Several have been so kind enough to support me, and I have 3 letters of recommendation from D.O.'s - I am hoping having 3 letters really plays in my favor, but by how much I don't really know.

I am also a member of the pre-med osteopathic student group Pre-SOMA, and have attended OMED 2016 and 2017 by myself and networked with several schools and know a good amount about osteopathic medicine. I also won a scholarship from Pre-SOMA to attend a political action event with D.O. med students earlier this year.

D.O. School List:
-PCOM (top choice, have met with the associate director of admissions and have her contact info, 2 of my letter writers are alumni)
-Rowan (attended shadow event here)
-LECOM (tbh, never visited but low tuition is enticing)
-NOVA (had phone conversation with dean of admissions)
-VCOM virginia (no connections here)

What are my chances? What should I add to my school list, and should I even bother with M.D. schools?
Chances seem good for DO, but You'll need a 513+ for MD...maybe 510 for your state school.

Reactions: 1 users
I would apply more broadly than that

Reactions: 1 users
I would apply more broadly than that

Definitely agree with this. You have a strong master’s performance, but it’s difficult to judge how people will take 16Ws. Some may not care at all. Some may care a lot.

Additionally, with a 508, your MD list needed to be larger even if you had a 4.0 with 0 withdrawals.

Applying to medical school is not like applying to college.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m adding KCUMB for DO schools. Maybeeee CCOM, but tuition is crazy.

I want to add more schools but I’m having a hard time picking schools that I can see myself going to. I can’t see myself going anywhere too far from a metropolitan or suburban area.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

^^ Not trying to be a jerk, being completely serious.....ifOctober or November rolls around and if you have no acceptances or haven't heard back you'll see yourself going anywhere that takes you :laugh: #beentheredonethat

I want to add more schools but I’m having a hard time picking schools that I can see myself going to. I can’t see myself going anywhere too far from a metropolitan or suburban area.

Beggars can't be choosers.

Apply broadly, if selected for an interview, check out the school to see if you like it (you'd be surprised) and then if you are provided an acceptance, then you'll have a decision to make. It's a very small investment in the grand scheme of things.

You're going to be super busy. Before I was accepted I would have taken a school on a mountain in the middle of nowhere in the US :p

As of this morning, I have submitted my primary AACOMAS app to:
-CCOM
-Nova
-Rowan
-PCOM
-KCU
-DMU
-VCOM-VA
-CUSOM
-LECOM-PA