This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MissPreMD

Reaction score
Hello all, Im seeking advice on possible MD schools to apply to the 2019 AAMC application cycle with my current stats. As of right now, my application looks like:

A female, Hispanic, FL resident with a 2.9 GPA (with noticeable improvement in grades over time), 510 MCAT gap year working as a clinical research coordinator at a top 5 hospital, publishing in the works, medical service trips, abroad medical internships, US clinic internships, local non medical volunteer work, university club involvement and strong LORs from science professors and physicians.

Again, I understand my odds with MDs and know stats are what will hinder me the most. I plan to apply to all (if not most) FL state schools. I will be applying DO as well but would really appreciate advice on MD schools. Thanks and good luck to everyone else applying!

Members don't see this ad.

2.9 is certainly not competitive for MD. What are your GPAs broken down by year? having 4.0s your last year looks much better than a slight rise in GPA over time. 510 is a good MCAT. You may need to start thinking about postbacc or SMP if you want to get into an MD school.

Edit: my example isn't really something to go off of. The point I want to make is that context matters.

Yeah, need to see the AMCAS GPA Grid

I think the link to the grid may not be working since it is a pdf, so I have also attached below. Thanks!
factstablea23.pdf

Attachments

• factstablea23.pdf
    219.8 KB · Views: 117
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all, Im seeking advice on possible MD schools to apply to the 2019 AAMC application cycle with my current stats. As of right now, my application looks like:

A female, Hispanic, FL resident with a 2.9 GPA (with noticeable improvement in grades over time), 510 MCAT gap year working as a clinical research coordinator at a top 5 hospital, publishing in the works, medical service trips, abroad medical internships, US clinic internships, local non medical volunteer work, university club involvement and strong LORs from science professors and physicians.

Again, I understand my odds with MDs and know stats are what will hinder me the most. I plan to apply to all (if not most) FL state schools. I will be applying DO as well but would really appreciate advice on MD schools. Thanks and good luck to everyone else applying!

I think a post-bac will benefit you greatly if you can perform well in it... if not, I don't think Caribbean schools are out of the picture, but definitely do a lot of research on them and be aware that matching into competitive residencies will almost certainly be off the table... if it was me, I would take the post-bac route and increase my odds at an in-state FL school

You could do a DIY post bacc at a local college. Take enough science courses to increase both your cGPA and sGPA to 3.0 . The you would have a better chance of receiving interviews at your Florida MD schools. You could also receive interviews at some DO schools.