2008-2009 Yale Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To you complete people, did you get an e-mail or was everything just shown as completed on your status page? My status page is all set (finally), but no e-mail. Am I complete?
no email. if it says youre complete on the status page, that's it.

Members don't see this ad.

same, just said complete on status page. i dont think we will hear anything for at least a month... columbia probably as well :(

I am trying to fill out the secondary for Yale. Can anyone please tell me how exactly to read up on the school. I am lost:scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Legend
SS: Secondary Submitted
LR: Letters received
C: Complete
II: Interview Invite
I: Interview

Breeak: SS: 6/18, LR: ?, C: ?, II:?, I:?
Shemarty: SS: 6/18, LR: 7/15, C: 7/24, II:?, I:?
ar2388: SS: 6/20, LR: 8/13, C: 8/14, II:?, I:?
JackInTheBox: SS: 6/20, LR: ?, C: ?, II:?, I:?
Drmcsteamy2008: SS: 6/24, LR: 7/8. C: 7/10, II:?, I:?
gates2: SS 6/25, LR: ?, C: ?, II:?, I:?
copingmethods: SS 6/26, LR: 7/10, C: 7/10, II:?, I:?
dr drummer: SS 6/26, LR: ?, C: ?, II:?, I:?
blueskyline: SS: 6/26, LR: ?, C: ?, II:?, I:?
Vadd0: SS 6/27, LR:: 7/9, C: 7/9, II:?, I:?
Mterp45: EDP decision by October 1 :scared:
serikk85: SS: 7/10, LR: 7/10, C: ?, II: ?, I?
Dulcina: SS: 7/28, LR: 8/14, C: 8/14, II:?, I: ?
Myuuchan: SS: 8/3, LR: 8/7, C: 8/8, ??

I am trying to fill out the secondary for Yale. Can anyone please tell me how exactly to read up on the school. I am lost:scared:

Everything is on the website - the curriculum, etc.

Question about the activities section... Are we supposed to include all of our activities from the AMCAS Work/Activities section, or only our most significant ones. Frankly, I only listed significant activities on the AMCAS, but there were 15 (non-trad) which may be too many... I only ask because the secondary doesn't specify the number of activities... and I'm too tired to figure it out/decide for myself.. advice? Thanks! :)

Um - yet another question about the Activities section (My attention is divided between Yale and Michael Phelps... I'm sure you understand my inability to focus and figure this out for myself) - Where would you put the following activities? Under "Activities" or "Achievements and Distinctions"?

1. Poster Presentation at an International conference
2. Oral Presentation at an International conference
3. Published Abstract

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Um - yet another question about the Activities section (My attention is divided between Yale and Michael Phelps... I'm sure you understand my inability to focus and figure this out for myself) - Where would you put the following activities? Under "Activities" or "Achievements and Distinctions"?

1. Poster Presentation at an International conference
2. Oral Presentation at an International conference
3. Published Abstract

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
I would put that under Activities...that's where I put pubs.

Question about the activities section... Are we supposed to include all of our activities from the AMCAS Work/Activities section, or only our most significant ones. Frankly, I only listed significant activities on the AMCAS, but there were 15 (non-trad) which may be too many... I only ask because the secondary doesn't specify the number of activities... and I'm too tired to figure it out/decide for myself.. advice? Thanks! :)
I chose not to put all of them...but I don't know. If you think all are important, put them all down :p

Legend

Myuuchan: SS: 8/3, LR: 8/7, C: 8/8, II:?, I: ?
justapremed: SS: 8/11, LR: 7/31, C: 8/13, II:?, I: ?

To you complete people, did you get an e-mail or was everything just shown as completed on your status page? My status page is all set (finally), but no e-mail. Am I complete?

i didnt get an email, just eerything completed on my status page

I chose not to put all of them...but I don't know. If you think all are important, put them all down :p

Thanks jgberken... I was taking a break from trying to get my absolutely perfect 568-word essay down to the 500-word limit, and decided to play around with the other section! I'm going to cut a few, and make sure that there is a rational if I'm asked why I cut them in an interview (which, of course, I'm hoping to have...)

11 words to go... I really don't know what else to get rid of! Ah well, next I'm onto Chicago's moral dilemma...

Thanks again! :)

i didnt get an email, just eerything completed on my status page
OK, my status page says everything has been received but it also says ""Application completed and in review on: No" Sheesh. How annoying. What are they waiting for? Ha.

Members don't see this ad :)
thats weird.. mine had a date for that as the day after my last item was in..

I'm still waiting on my LORs....which were sent in over a month ago. Either they're really slow to update or they're just not in any particular hurry.

I just got back from New Haven and honestly, I don't know what to think of the interview. The interviewer personally knew my father. He asked "why aren't you applying to the MD/PhD program?" twice at different times :eek:. The first time he asked I just told him that Yale doesn't allow EDP applicants to apply to the MD/PhD program but the second time he asked I didn't know what to tell him. How do I tell a PhD that I am not interested in something I have devoted myself to for the last 8 years? I didn't see this question in any of the interview feedbacks for Yale. It totally caught me off guard. I consider myself an extremely gregarious individual but I felt as if I was pulling teeth with this guy :mad: . I don't even remember smiling. Whenever I made attempts to deviate away from the seriousness he would bring me back to one of my publication topics. I started wondering if I was getting interviewed for a PhD research position or to be an MD student. I expected some emphasis on research because of Yale's thesis requirement but come on, the whole interview???? What happen to the good old "tell me about yourself" or "why Yale" type questions? I was able to answer most of the questions with confidence but got no indication of whether it was the answer he was looking for. No nod, no smile or anything that would signify some sort of approval. This was an extremely humbling experience. I was unable to gather any information about the exact number of students applying to the EDP this year, but I was assured that I certainly wasn't the only one and that there are usually about 10 EDP applicants per year. I don't have a good feeling about this but only time will tell.

Dang, terp. You've got me shaking in my shoes, and I don't even have an invite yet. They say you never can tell with interviews. People get rejected after what they think are great interviews and get accepted after mediocre ones.

You don't even want to be a doctor, though. Merely a Yale graduate to make your parents proud.

No don't let me scare you. Your experience will most likely be a bit different than mine depending on your interviewer(s). I don't think anything went wrong. I knew some of the faculty members and spent a lot of time at the school when my father was a resident so I was very comfortable with the environment. I think my disappointment arises from the fact that I wanted him to be flabbergasted by the interview and walked out feeling las if I said nothing that I planned on saying. I was planning on straying away from my scientific background and was hoping to sell myself by discussing my personal philosophy and passion for some of my Extra curricular activities. But I guess I was simply showed who's Boss.

Mterp, thanks for sharing your experience. It does sound a little rough, but keeping in mind that to be invited for an EDP interview means you are a really strong applicant, I wouldn't fret too much. Even if you don't get EDP, you'll be super strong in the regular pool. And like the others said, it's tough to gauge from a negative seeming interview what the real impression from their end was.

No don't let me scare you. Your experience will most likely be a bit different than mine depending on your interviewer(s). I don't think anything went wrong. I knew some of the faculty members and spent a lot of time at the school when my father was a resident so I was very comfortable with the environment. I think my disappointment arises from the fact that I wanted him to be flabbergasted by the interview and walked out feeling las if I said nothing that I planned on saying. I was planning on straying away from my scientific background and was hoping to sell myself by discussing my personal philosophy and passion for some of my Extra curricular activities. But I guess I was simply showed who's Boss.

I hope you got in man. Good luck. I was afraid of exactly such a scenario. Right now I'm preparing for interview by planning to talk about my random non-academic activities and sell my personality. But wtf, I'm scared now.

Jeez, 8 years of research.. and he was still grilling you on it? Did he ask about specifics... ???

I hope you got in man. Good luck. I was afraid of exactly such a scenario. Right now I'm preparing for interview by planning to talk about my random non-academic activities and sell my personality. But wtf, I'm scared now.

Jeez, 8 years of research.. and he was still grilling you on it? Did he ask about specifics... ???

Thanks Bozz, I am sure you will be all right. I think it went ok and that it could definitely have been much worst. To answer your question, that was the problem. I couldn't decide whether he wanted me to be specific by using lab/scientific terminology to actually discuss the science behind my different research experiences or if he wanted me to speak more broadly about it. In the words of my interview coach, "the objective in answering is to illustrate different traits and attributes which you want the interviewer to associate with your personality" but what kind of traits or attributes can one project when being asked about his work with Ceramide channels? All I was able to do was answer as I thought my PI would have. My advice to all of you with publications or research experience is to really know the how? and the what? behind what you do down to the last detail no matter how big or small of a part you play(ed) in it, this will keep you on the safe side. Oh and I did get the traditional "why Medicine?" question but I felt as if I was subtly interrupted before I could spit out what I planned on saying.

Does anyone know when Yale (or any of the other non-rolling schools for that matter) begins sending out interview invites?

Thanks Bozz, I am sure you will be all right. I think it went ok and that it could definitely have been much worst. To answer your question, that was the problem. I couldn’t decide whether he wanted me to be specific by using lab/scientific terminology to actually discuss the science behind my different research experiences or if he wanted me to speak more broadly about it. In the words of my interview coach, “the objective in answering is to illustrate different traits and attributes which you want the interviewer to associate with your personality” but what kind of traits or attributes can one project when being asked about his work with Ceramide channels? All I was able to do was answer as I thought my PI would have. My advice to all of you with publications or research experience is to really know the how? and the what? behind what you do down to the last detail no matter how big or small of a part you play(ed) in it, this will keep you on the safe side. Oh and I did get the traditional “why Medicine?” question but I felt as if I was subtly interrupted before I could spit out what I planned on saying.

Imo, when someone asks about your research, they're looking to see if you can speak coherently and intelligently about the subject, to make sure that you really did what you said you did. In those cases, just give them the quick spiel that you'd give at something like a poster session. If they want to know more, they'll stop you or ask more questions, but unless your research is the same area as their work, they probably won't give a crap about the details.

Mterp, thanks for sharing your experience. It does sound a little rough, but keeping in mind that to be invited for an EDP interview means you are a really strong applicant, I wouldn't fret too much. Even if you don't get EDP, you'll be super strong in the regular pool. And like the others said, it's tough to gauge from a negative seeming interview what the real impression from their end was.

I like the MDapps :thumbup:. Thanks and good luck.

So uh haha. I have no "Achievements and Distinctions" of note to list on AMCAS, and now Yale's not letting me submit their secondary without something in that box. I'm thinking it wouldn't be good to put "I got none" in the box, so I might be going with a tilde for my achievements and distinctions section.

So uh haha. I have no "Achievements and Distinctions" of note to list on AMCAS, and now Yale's not letting me submit their secondary without something in that box. I'm thinking it wouldn't be good to put "I got none" in the box, so I might be going with a tilde for my achievements and distinctions section.

Only a tilde? Why not ":D" or "(/^^)/" or "d(^^)/" or "d(-.^)b"...

Or maybe a non-printable character!

Only a tilde? Why not ":D" or "(/^^)/" or "d(^^)/" or "d(-.^)b"...

Or maybe a non-printable character!

Lol, I opted for a ________________________________

instead, to make it look like a natural part of the page.

A ~ would've looked too pathetic. I think I should've just linked them to a lolcat =P

Legend

ayushman80: SS: 6/28, LR: 7/16, C: 7/29, II: ?, I:?

I have been checking my email, snail mail, and phone calls like a maniac. I have heard absolutely nothing from Yale aaaah :mad:.

Aww Mterp...it's ok! It's still early!

Hey Jgberk :), thanks. Yeah, they still have a month to give me a decision. This is much worst than waiting for the MCAT score.

Why are you so worried? You got nice app and legacy

Legacy isn't as big a deal as it used to be.

Just got an interview at Yale!

Just got an interview at Yale!

Are you applying EDP? When were you complete? I'm definitely jealous! Knowing that they are sending out invites will now make me check my email even more compulsively...

Are you applying EDP? When were you complete? I'm definitely jealous! Knowing that they are sending out invites will now make me check my email even more compulsively...

Not applying EDP. Complete in early-mid July.

Legend

Vadd0: SS 6/27, LR:: 7/9, C: 7/9, II:9/1, I:Haven't scheduled

Legend

copingmethods: SS 6/26, LR: 7/10, C: 7/10, II: 9/2, I:?
Vadd0: SS 6/27, LR:: 7/9, C: 7/9, II:9/1, I:Haven't scheduled

Legend

Shemarty: SS: 6/18, LR: 7/15, C: 7/24, II:9/2, I:?
Vadd0: SS 6/27, LR:: 7/9, C: 7/9, II:9/1, I:?

Legend

Shemarty: SS: 6/18, LR: 7/15, C: 7/24, II:9/2, I:?
Vadd0: SS 6/27, LR:: 7/9, C: 7/9, II:9/1, I:?
Uniq: SS: 6/30, LR: 7/8, C: 6/10, II: 9/2, I: ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.