2009-2010 University of Florida Application Thread

Started by shemarty
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is such a beautiful campus!!! I accidentally applied here for 2008, i meant to apply to Florida University, but after paying the amcas and realizing which school this was I decided to finish the application. I got a rejection email one minute after I got a completion email... 🙁 at least I know they didn't read my app! 🙂

Good luck everyone!

Whoever goes here is SUPER lucky, I am sooo jealous!

What's Florida University? Did you mean FSU? Or FIU?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am not Super excited about this school. A lot of students have given negative feedback about the competitive nature of the school. I would still go here if it was the only place I was accepted though of course

I wouldn't worry too much about it, I have a few friends who are attending UFCOM right now and they get along pretty well with their classmates. Med school will be competitive wherever you go, and really, IMO at least, competition is unlikely to make you a worse person, as long as your competition isn't tearing you down on the way up.
 
I have recently moved away from Gainesville and I missed it already.
Please UF take me back!
 
I can't say I miss Gainesville at all...still, if I'm stuck in FL, this is the place to go.

Hehe.. it's just a neat little place. I love all the food places.
But I really didn't appreciate it enough until I moved away.

Well hopefully FL wants us!
 
I was born and grew up in FL but am not a state resident anymore. I had to fill out their residency form, saying I am not a FL resident. They gave me no room to say what I just told you. Does UF care? And how hard is it to get in oos? I really would like a shot with this school
 
I was born and grew up in FL but am not a state resident anymore. I had to fill out their residency form, saying I am not a FL resident. They gave me no room to say what I just told you. Does UF care? And how hard is it to get in oos? I really would like a shot with this school

Yes it does matter. you better figure out a way to let them know you were born here.
 
I was born and grew up in FL but am not a state resident anymore. I had to fill out their residency form, saying I am not a FL resident. They gave me no room to say what I just told you. Does UF care? And how hard is it to get in oos? I really would like a shot with this school

There's a section in the secondary that lets you describe your connection to the state of Florida.
 
Thanks! I didn't know this. Now all I have to do is get a secondary. They screen for oos? I am still waiting for my amcas to be verified.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I only wish it weren't so spread out, that would make it absolutely perfect but hey, what are you gonna do.

Yeah.. A lot of walking and buses, but it'ss all good 'cause I got to exercise some between classes. ^_^
 
I don't know if they screen, but they e-mail you the sec app in .doc form as attachments. And before you send them your sec. files, you have to fill out an application for admission at http://www.admissions.ufl.edu/start.html. That might be something you can do for now since it seems to be open to everyone.
 
I have a question regarding the LORs for this school. I am likely withdrawing my application since I am OOS anyway, but I got an email from UF saying that they required the electronic letters to be on school letterhead. I haven't even submitted their secondary, so I guess it is good that they are at least downloading my letters already.

Is this the case for most schools or just this one? I have received a "complete" notice from Georgetown using "non-letterhead" pdfs, but UF seems to want even the electronic letters to be signed and on letterhead. I'm kinda freaked, cuz I don't want to have to get my letter writers to resubmit, but am encouraged that Georgetown processed my app. with the letters the way they are. Any similar experiences with this issue?
 
yes. i got a phone call last night for an interview. though this might be because i have travel restrictions, and need to interview early as possible.
 
yes. i got a phone call last night for an interview. though this might be because i have travel restrictions, and need to interview early as possible.

Congrats! I think it's about time they get started, they usually start interviewing around mid-September and start accepting students around mid-October.
 
Dingy, what do you think will happen to those of us who were waitlisted right up towards the end? Do you think we'll at least get interviewed?
 
Dingy, what do you think will happen to those of us who were waitlisted right up towards the end? Do you think we'll at least get interviewed?

From what I gather, generally schools will interview people they've interviewed before, so I think UF would invite us for an interview. Then again, who knows what they're really looking for, it sucks that they won't give reviews to ppl who've already reapplied, pretty lame.
 
Yes...apparently that's their policy. I really hope I can get in this time around...
 
Congrats on the interview - I think 9/11 is their first interview date. I was complete only right about last week, so...I guess I have some waiting to do.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If I get an interview invite again, I'm going to destroy this one - they will not forget me.
 
Is the statement about ones strengths, accomplishments, and character this straight forward or is there something imperative that I need to ask?

Also, will it affect me if I choose not to answer the option question over the medical schools I have applied to in the past and present?

Thanks.
 
Congrats on the interview - I think 9/11 is their first interview date. I was complete only right about last week, so...I guess I have some waiting to do.

Yea, 9/11 was the first date. All interviews are on Fridays.

As to the other question: No, I'm not EDP.

I didn't disclose the other schools to which I am applying. As for the essay I essentially gave a narrative of my life up to this point, haha. I'm very excited about getting this interview. I honestly didn't think I had a chance considering I'm OOS.

Good luck to everyone! I hope to see some of you on 9/11.
 
For all the ones who are getting interview invites, are you guys IS or OOS? And when did you turn in everything?

I'm just asking so I know if I should be worried.. 😛'
 
For all the ones who are getting interview invites, are you guys IS or OOS? And when did you turn in everything?

I'm just asking so I know if I should be worried.. 😛'

I am IS 🙂 I submitted their secondary on 7/15 and didn't get the complete email until 8/5 (letters of rec held it up, I think). Good luck!
 
I am IS 🙂 I submitted their secondary on 7/15 and didn't get the complete email until 8/5 (letters of rec held it up, I think). Good luck!

Mine was completed on the same date.. On well, your profile is wayyyyy better than mine so I have no complains.. :'3

Good luck everyone!
 
whenever i try to call their admissions office, i go straight to voicemail. i have only once gotten a real person on the other end of the line. how are you guys setting up interviews?? is there a good time of day to call when i can actually reach someone?
 
Got an invite this morning! I was half asleep when I checked my e-mail and I thought I was dreaming.. haha

My date starts from Oct 2nd though. Is it better to schedule an earlier date or is it okay to pick like.. the next earliest date to give more time for preparation?
 
Got an invite this morning! I was half asleep when I checked my e-mail and I thought I was dreaming.. haha

My date starts from Oct 2nd though. Is it better to schedule an earlier date or is it okay to pick like.. the next earliest date to give more time for preparation?

My first available day was sept 11, but i chose to do october 2. i didn't really want to do an interview on the 11th since i have 5 other interviews scheduled for september, so i just pushed UF back into october. i say do whatever will allow you to be the most prepared and confident (and... because they can't send acceptances until october 15, it does not matter much - if at all - if you interview october 2 vs october 9)
 
my next available date after Oct 2nd is Oct 23rd.. :\ I'm leaning toward the 23rd.. is that stupid?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
my next available date after Oct 2nd is Oct 23rd.. :\ I'm leaning toward the 23rd.. is that stupid?

No, UF is one of those rare schools which applying or interviewing early doesn't really help. Actually, Allison told me that it's better to apply a bit later so as not to "get lost in the shuffle." They intentionally don't accept many people from the interview initially so they have a chance to interview the later applicants first. Last year, out of the 16-17 people who interviewed along with me, only 3 were accepted right off the bat.
 
My first available day was sept 11, but i chose to do october 2. i didn't really want to do an interview on the 11th since i have 5 other interviews scheduled for september, so i just pushed UF back into october. i say do whatever will allow you to be the most prepared and confident (and... because they can't send acceptances until october 15, it does not matter much - if at all - if you interview october 2 vs october 9)

gah you ARE a monster..
this is my first invite.. :3

so Oct 2nd or 23rd?!! Is it bad if I call tomorrow to schedule rather then the same day? :scared:
 
My first available day was sept 11, but i chose to do october 2. i didn't really want to do an interview on the 11th since i have 5 other interviews scheduled for september, so i just pushed UF back into october. i say do whatever will allow you to be the most prepared and confident (and... because they can't send acceptances until october 15, it does not matter much - if at all - if you interview october 2 vs october 9)

Well...in your case, I am pretty sure you will be accepted from UF right after your interview - or on Oct. 15th. That's assuming you can give a decent interview, because your stats are too succulent for UF to resist.
 
gah you ARE a monster..
this is my first invite.. :3

so Oct 2nd or 23rd?!! Is it bad if I call tomorrow to schedule rather then the same day? :scared:

if you think you'll be more prepared on the 23rd then by all means do the 23rd 🙂 but also it might be nice to have the interview over and done with earlier so the stress of waiting doesn't get to you. 2 months is a looong time to prepare for something that you've already kind of prepared for by getting your thoughts together and writing lots of secondaries.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.