2009-2010 University of Kansas Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I've only met some of you on here, and won't meet the rest probably until school starts; but I have a HUGE favor to ask. Is anyone not using all three of your seats for the white coat ceremony? I know it's a lot to ask but if so could you pm me to work out details. Thanks guys.

77 days.

Members don't see this ad.

Work sucks, I can't keep up on here all day.
Auriga- So I move into the area and you head out, what's up? You don't want to be neighbors?:D I guess for me the drive didn't seem too bad. We went down first thing Monday and drove from KUMC and back in morning traffic. I plan on going to class every day so the drive might get old after the first year but for now it's where we wanted to be.
I'm fleeing hahaha No, It's a great area out here in terms of quiet, low crime, newer apartments with less things breaking all the time, and stuff like that. I've lived out here like 6 years because it was close to the Community College and then it was too much of a pain to move. But it's too quiet, nothing's ever going on, most "things to do" aren't anywhere nearby, and I've done long drives to school or work and it drives me crazy. You're in a good spot b/c highway 69 is near you and that leads straight to KUMC. People really keep to themselves, also, interestingly. Which works great for some people, but it's a little sterile for my tastes. Though the quiet IS good for studying ;)

Sorry, I am using my spots. But maybe if you contact the school, some people may have already told them that they aren't using all 3 and they might allow it?

I know I've only met some of you on here, and won't meet the rest probably until school starts; but I have a HUGE favor to ask. Is anyone not using all three of your seats for the white coat ceremony? I know it's a lot to ask but if so could you pm me to work out details. Thanks guys.

77 days.
I'd love to help you out, but I'm already pushing it by taking my daughter as well as my wife/parents. I was told I could take my daughter, but she is not able to occupy her own seat... maybe you could have people sitting on each other's laps? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)

77 days.

Mine are probably spoken for, too. I might have ONE, but I won't know until last-minute. Sorry!!! :(

Care to fill me in on the whitecoat ceremony? I haven't heard a thing about it or tickets... Should I have gotten an email?

Jaydoc: the shirt was great - perfect fit. Esp for 200k! Out of state tuition sucks!

hey all. sometime this summer, maybe you've already gotten it, there will be an email with a list of "recommended and required" textbooks. DO NOT BUY ANY OF THEM...yet. Make absolutely sure you talk to current students about what they suggest. It will differ between students, but you don't need the majority of what KU lists. Also there is a book sale put on by MSA (one of the student organizations) where upper classmen sell their books for a whole lot cheaper than the bookstore or amazon.

Thanks everybody, knew it was a long shot and I was actually surprised I needed the extra seat.

Auriga- I am just fine with a quiet neighborhood. Can't have anyone disturb my 10 o'clock bedtime. Although that will probably go out the window when I realize there aren't enough hours in the day to study everything we're learning.

Hey! Quick question for y'all...

Since we take out additional financial aid to cover living expenses and such, how often is that money direct deposited into our accounts. Do they do it monthly? Per semester?

I'm just trying to figure out the best way to budget it all when the time comes.

I appreciate your help!

Since we take out additional financial aid to cover living expenses and such, how often is that money direct deposited into our accounts. Do they do it monthly? Per semester?

I'm just trying to figure out the best way to budget it all when the time comes.

I appreciate your help!
I think that they pay out every semester. Our first reimbursement is due to be paid out at the end of July.

I appreciate your help!

Alright, a fellow budgeter (I don't think that's a word)! Financial aid relayed to me that our first payment will be on July 30th. And yes, it is paid out by semester.

Alright, a fellow budgeter (I don't think that's a word)! Financial aid relayed to me that our first payment will be on July 30th. And yes, it is paid out by semester.

Awesome. So we get this huge lump sum of money in July... Yea, that makes budgeting real easy. Not.

Well this is just gonna be all kinds of fun, huh?

Yeah I am not good with money. I need to figure something out with my bank (automatic transfer to checking?) so I don't spend it all at one time on something stupid. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I am not good with money. I need to figure something out with my bank (automatic transfer to checking?) so I don't spend it all at one time on something stupid. :)

I've got this all figured out.... VEGAS, BABY!!!!:cool:

We could always take that 9 grand and buy in to the WSOP. Some guy comes out of nowhere every year. Next years champ, an MS-1 from KU SOM.

We could always take that 9 grand and buy in to the WSOP. Some guy comes out of nowhere every year. Next years champ, an MS-1 from KU SOM.

Or we could go straight MIT and count cards in blackjack. :)

Or we could go straight MIT and count cards in blackjack. :)

I'm all for the calculated plays. What's preventing a group of students from compiling an extra grand from their loans into a general fund. They take it and put it on a sure bet... Like the Orlando Magic finishing off the Atlanta Hawks in their series. I mean, you won't get a high return, but it's guaranteed, and you'll leave with more than you came with.

Too bad nobody had money on Tim Clark winning the Players. I bet that paid out well.

OMG guys....! Amazing bittersweet news - I got my acceptance call from Case Western Reserve U today!!! They pulled me off of the alternate list! I am in total and utter shock. Case stole my heart at the interview, but after going on the wait list, I definitely was getting extremely excited about starting at KU! But now we're moving to Cleveland! :zip:

I had an absolute blast at Spring Visit meeting you guys! I really am going to set up facebook this week. Then I can keep in touch :D

OMG guys....! Amazing bittersweet news - I got my acceptance call from Case Western Reserve U today!!! They pulled me off of the alternate list! I am in total and utter shock. Case stole my heart at the interview, but after going on the wait list, I definitely was getting extremely excited about starting at KU! But now we're moving to Cleveland! :zip:

I had an absolute blast at Spring Visit meeting you guys! I really am going to set up facebook this week. Then I can keep in touch :D

WHOA. BIG NEWS!!! Congratulations!!!! Best of luck with everything!!

Congrats! I wish you well. When do you move?

Congratulations Auriga! It was great to meet you. We'll miss you at KU but I'm glad you'll be able to go where your heart is. Good luck at Case.

Auriga, I first of all want to say congrats, but also thank you very much- reading your news is very encouraging for those of us on the wait list at KU! :) Good luck at Case!

Thanks guys! I'll miss you too, and my husband really liked you guys too! I was reeeeeeally looking forward to being classmates...but yes, exactly, I have to go with my heart :D

I went into OMG-mode last night thinking about moving. Classes start July 5 and that changes things significantly! I'm going to apt hunt online, then visit to sign the lease and hopefully move the third week in June. I want to work until then if possible! Aaaaahhhh... but it's a happy stress!

Oh look it's page 23... What a show-off.

Congrats Auriga on Case, infinitely more impressive than page 23. :)

I'm going to bed. This year's class is way too groundbreaking for me to keep up with! I guess I'm retiring from page announcer. :( unless of course we get to page 24....wow whAt a milestone that would be! ;)

Auriga, I first of all want to say congrats, but also thank you very much- reading your news is very encouraging for those of us on the wait list at KU! :) Good luck at Case!

how many have they taken off the waitlist so far?

zero. The ppl dropping out are from the original accepted pool..

Thank you! I hope my spot goes to one of you guys! ^_^ I know they overfilled the class, but I still would anticipate seeing a little movement not too long after May 15. It looks like Case's waitlist started moving Monday even though they overfilled a little, but their deadline was May 1 instead of May 15. Hopefully you'll all be getting calls in a week or two :luck:

Has anyone attempted to apply for more loans at KU yet? I applied for the KU Endowment but I got an error saying that they aren't processing fall applications until July 1. I called and asked and they confirmed it. I can resubmit everything July 1.

Then I tried to apply for a Grad Plus loan. On studentloans.gov (where we have to apply) it says that KUMC isn't yet taking applications for award year 2010-2011.

Uh, I am kinda going to need that money, guys!!!!

Then, the federal government WILL NOT recognize that my name has changed since I got married. All of my loan info is still under Engineer Maiden instead of Engineer Married. I called financial aid to ask if this was a problem. They said I should go to the registrar's office and change my name. I was like "What? I've been Engineer Married for 5 years, and definitely as long as you have known me!" Then she said she "didn't know" and she "thinks" it's tagged to your SSN, not your name.

Is this really what the next 4 years are going to be like????? AHHH!

Kumc does not use the online grad plus apps. I already got mine approved via a paper form from the financial aid site. You only go to the studentloan.gov site for the mpn you have to fill out. It is kind of confusing, I would call the fin aid office.

I did my grad plus in the financial aid office while we were up there. Its already on my fin aid profile. Had not done the endowment loan app yet so I'll put that on the back burner. Don't you just love all of the hoops you have to jump through to get enough money to go to school. Why not put us in for all of it then divide accordingly?

Wow. But the FORM that is RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME says:

Steps to be completed by student:
Complete the online Federal Direct Graduate PLUS loan application at www.studentloans.gov
Complete and return this request to the KUMC financial aid office
Complete the entrance counseling

I was just following the steps on the form they gave me..... Gah.

Wow. But the FORM that is RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME says:

Steps to be completed by student:
Complete the online Federal Direct Graduate PLUS loan application at www.studentloans.gov
Complete and return this request to the KUMC financial aid office
Complete the entrance counseling

I was just following the steps on the form they gave me..... Gah.

Yeah, I did the same thing at first. I found out a little bit by accident, because I was calling about something else and asked if most students who need to fill the gap up to cost of living use the Grad Plus loans. It didn't take long to process though, maybe one week after I faxed in the paper I think.

Anyone get any word on scholarship money? They said we should get a few thousand if we applied but I haven't heard/seen anything yet....

Anyone get any word on scholarship money? They said we should get a few thousand if we applied but I haven't heard/seen anything yet....

I got an email with an attached letter outlining the scholarship last week. The letter is dated May 14th.

Edit: For anyone else who applied for/received the maximum value of loans before getting scholarship money, financial aid told me that they will take care of adjusting loan totals to account for the scholarship.

Last edited:
I got an email with an attached letter outlining the scholarship last week. The letter is dated May 14th.

Edit: For anyone else who applied for/received the maximum value of loans before getting scholarship money, financial aid told me that they will take care of adjusting loan totals to account for the scholarship.

Soooooo I'm guessing I didn't get a scholarship then. :( oh well. More loans for me!

I called and checked, said they sent an email but I didn't get it.. In any case they did give me a little love, right on par with what they said we'd get..

I called and checked, said they sent an email but I didn't get it.. In any case they did give me a little love, right on par with what they said we'd get..

Hey Keith, who did you call? I figured I may as well call and check just to see since I didn't hear either way. I tried to call financial aid but they didn't know anything...

Hey Keith, who did you call? I figured I may as well call and check just to see since I didn't hear either way. I tried to call financial aid but they didn't know anything...

I called financial aid and they transferred me to the lady that does the medical school scholarships and she told me.. There is one lady that handles all med student scholarships.

From what I have heard, the waitlist is going to be activated in early to mid-June. Not to be the bearer of bad news but it looks like this will be a bad year for the waitlist. I just hope it's not less than 5...the lowest number in recently recorded history. :(

From what I have heard, the waitlist is going to be activated in early to mid-June. Not to be the bearer of bad news but it looks like this will be a bad year for the waitlist. I just hope it's not less than 5...the lowest number in recently recorded history. :(

Does anyone know when the wait list was activated last year? I think I heard that was pretty late, and it still made it to 7. If that's the case, there's some hope there for this year!

Why do you think it will be a bad year for the waitlist? did you hear it from somewhere?
Last year they had taken 1 off the waitlist by mid June. It picked up by late June and early July.

Why do you think it will be a bad year for the waitlist? did you hear it from somewhere?
Last year they had taken 1 off the waitlist by mid June. It picked up by late June and early July.

Last year it was already activated by this time. May 27th, I believe.

Spacey99 are you on the waitlist this year? I saw that you were
#10 or so last year.

I wish you waitlisters the very best. I hope that my prediction
is waaaay off. On a lighter note I did hear that the #1 on the waitlist
is going elsewhere which bumps everyone up a spot.

Good luck, maybe I was premature in my post.

Last year it was already activated by this time. May 27th, I believe.

Spacey99 are you on the waitlist this year? I saw that you were
#10 or so last year.

I wish you waitlisters the very best. I hope that my prediction
is waaaay off. On a lighter note I did hear that the #1 on the waitlist
is going elsewhere which bumps everyone up a spot.

Good luck, maybe I was premature in my post.

I'm not sure what KU med's problem is with me but yes they did stick me back on the wait list. I did have an hour phone conference with the dean which was nothing but a useless waste of time. This time i'm 6th.
Considering I was 3 spots away from getting in last year, clearly their evaluation of me this year despite my application improving seemed to be bias and unfair. especially when reapplying with the same people I did last year except this time they got in and I didn't. doesn't quite make sense to me, but that's the way it is I guess.
Hope this year is a good one for the waitlist. It is really making my life quite difficult when it comes to my job, my lease, my loans, etc. everything. and 2 years in a row of this is just cruel.
Well that's good news about #1 on the waitlist.
I guess I may call in next week and see what they think is going to play out this summer.

just hoping for the best . :xf:

Status
Not open for further replies.