2009-2010 Vanderbilt University Application Thread

Started by shemarty
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I called in yesterday, and the lady told me that they took the week of thanksgiving and the week AFTER thanksgiving off. Also she said that they arent really going to review anything this week, which means that you need to subtract whatever time you have been waiting by 3 weeks ish....

Jebus ....


Oh no! Like ballin, I interviewed on 11/5 and was hoping to hear back by now.
 
To anyone in the know, are all clinical rounds done at the Vanderbilt Medical Center? I have looked around the website but could not find a definitive answer.
 
To anyone in the know, are all clinical rounds done at the Vanderbilt Medical Center? I have looked around the website but could not find a definitive answer.

yes, they are. I do not believe they do anything with other hospitals in the area.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
this was probably already mentioned, but historically, does vandy ever accept people from their "waitlist" before may 15 (or whatever the day is). i know their letters makes it seem like they put you on hold, not sure if thats the case though.
 
this was probably already mentioned, but historically, does vandy ever accept people from their "waitlist" before may 15 (or whatever the day is). i know their letters makes it seem like they put you on hold, not sure if thats the case though.

From what I read in the 2013 thread, it seems like that is actually the only hope. If I remember correctly, the only "waitlist/hold" acceptances were before March or May. After then - 👎
 
From what I read in the 2013 thread, it seems like that is actually the only hope. If I remember correctly, the only "waitlist/hold" acceptances were before March or May. After then - 👎

thanks for the info.


do you think i could update my app with grades, but no official transcript? or do you think its better to send the transcript.
 
yes, they are. I do not believe they do anything with other hospitals in the area.

I'm sorry but this is incorrect. We do rotations at the VA hospital and Baptist, as well as the new 100 Oaks facility (though that is part of Vanderbilt). Also, many clinics on Medicine and Peds are private practices in the community.
 
I'm sorry but this is incorrect. We do rotations at the VA hospital and Baptist, as well as the new 100 Oaks facility (though that is part of Vanderbilt). Also, many clinics on Medicine and Peds are private practices in the community.

Well the VA is on your campus so I assumed that's what the poster meant. I was unaware that students did rotations at Baptist...I could have sworn hearing on my interview day that there wasn't much going on between Vanderbilt and Baptist and St Thomas.
 
hey question - so i'm on the waitlist and im wondering... do you guys think its worthwhile to send extra recommendations that i didnt send before? i think i'm at 5 letters and i cant remember if thats a limit.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm sorry but this is incorrect. We do rotations at the VA hospital and Baptist, as well as the new 100 Oaks facility (though that is part of Vanderbilt). Also, many clinics on Medicine and Peds are private practices in the community.

Well the VA is on your campus so I assumed that's what the poster meant. I was unaware that students did rotations at Baptist...I could have sworn hearing on my interview day that there wasn't much going on between Vanderbilt and Baptist and St Thomas.

As a third year, you will spend 90+% of your time on the Vanderbilt campus. As a fourth year, probably less but that is mostly by choice (away rotations, etc). Anecdotally, I spent 100% of my third year at Vanderbilt or at the VA. I have spent all of fourth year at Vanderbilt with the exception of an away rotation.

While there are a few "outside rotations" it would be pretty disingenuous to make it look like we are heading all over town for different parts of the clinical years. When I was applying to med school, I liked the fact that (almost) all of the clinical rotations were at Vandy.

The only rotation at Baptist is ~2.5 weeks long as part of OB/Gyn (and only about 1/5th of the class does that rotation - though it's pretty sweet and you might want to do it if you have the chance).

I don't know of any third year rotations at St. Thomas; occasionally students will go there by choice for a 4th year elective.

The VA is a very common rotation (you can spend time there on Medicine, Surgery, Neurology, and Psychiatry, as well as as a fourth year). As mentioned, it is right on campus and literally connected by a walkway. The faculty are all dual-appointments to Vanderbilt, and the residents are all Vandy residents.

As far as community/private practice rotations, you can spend 2.5 weeks on outpatient peds at a community based practice (though you don't have to - you can do a rotation at the hospital instead if you prefer), as well as about 10 individual clinic days in the community for medicine (again, optional). As a fourth year you can spend more time in the community if you choose.

The clinics at 100 oaks are really just OB/Gyn and some specialties (derm, etc). There is a free shuttle running continually back and forth and it takes about 20 min to get there.
 
Hey guys, I have asked this before but by now that post may be lost due to the length of this thread. Is anyone else interviewing this Friday?
 
word. It's been 9 weeks since I interviewed too. But I think we need to subtract 3 weeks from that due to christmas and new years .. so I'm really at 6 weeks

Yeah, my guess is that the next batch will start hearing back next weekend
 
Does anyone know why it takes Vandy so long to get back to us? This doesn't make sense to me. In other schools, the perfect candidates can hear back the next week after interviews, and only the so-so candidates wait for a long time...

Waiting is a torture. 🙁
 
Nov 2 interview. Haven't heard. In my mind, Jan 20th is a reasonable deadline (8 weeks + 1 week for thanksgiving + 2 for christmas and new years).

I feel like that is pretty generous, no?
 
i interview here on Tuesday, Jan 12. Does anybody know any cheap places to stay?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I also recommend the Hampton Inn West End... Nice hotel for the $$, and the Gray Line shuttle will bring you right there from the airport. Great location too, within walking distance from campus and several restaurants. Be sure to call them and ask for the med school interviewee rate.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
any advice to those of us still interviewing? types of questions? I go in tomorrow.
 
Interviewed Nov 3rd. Haven't gotten a call. Does that mean I'm going to be waitlisted?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.