You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2009-2010 Vanderbilt University Application Thread
Started by shemarty
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
When will be the orientation?Orientation.
Is it safe to assume waitlist movement will start tomorrow? Anyone have an idea on the number of people in the class right now?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
VANDY overaccept a lot..Is it safe to assume waitlist movement will start tomorrow? Anyone have an idea on the number of people in the class right now?
VANDY overaccept a lot..
Right, but hopefully there should be some movement even if its minimal, i.e., <5 spots
vandy does overaccept a quite a bit, but hopefully everyone accepted will realize Vanderbilt is not where they want to be for medical school after the terrible rain storm that just ruined everything. EVERYTHING! MWAH HA HA HA! accepted students beware. you don't want to go there after that terrible tragedy.
withdraw, and let those on the WL deal with it 😉
withdraw, and let those on the WL deal with it 😉
When will be the orientation?
Orientation starts July 29th.
https://medschool.vanderbilt.edu/registrar/vms-i-academic-calendar
you should suggest to admissions to get us off the WL! 😉
End of this week I am hoping (for my sanity). That being said, it could have started already, no way to know until someone on SDN hears something.
End of this week I am hoping (for my sanity). That being said, it could have started already, no way to know until someone on SDN hears something.
well i couldnt keep my sanity, so i emailed dr. sagen inquiring about WL movement and when, and here is her response:
"Typically, we have movement on our waitlist after May 15th. The second week of June we will release a large number of waitlisted applicants to let each know that there is no longer an opportunity to be called from our waitlist. I hope this helps manage your expectations.
Patricia Sagen
Director of Admissions
VUSM"
....so not much that we didn't already know lol.


this is the only place that I would drop my plans for. dang, would it be nice to get in.
But then you would have to start a "case vs. vandy" thread 😛
j/k, but seriously, isn't case at the same level as vandy?
j/k, but seriously, isn't case at the same level as vandy?
this is the only place that I would drop my plans for. dang, would it be nice to get in.
But then you would have to start a "case vs. vandy" thread 😛
j/k, but seriously, isn't case at the same level as vandy?
haha. well, it's for personal reasons that I want to go to vandy. my gf lives in nashville, as do my brother and sister.
Has anyone received word yet? Seems awfully quiet on this front..
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone received word yet? Seems awfully quiet on this front..
looking back through some older posts it seems like 4 or 5 people already got off the wait list. poop
looking back through some older posts it seems like 4 or 5 people already got off the wait list. poop
True, but there must have been some spots, even if very few, that would have opened up post May 15th. Not much to shoot for here, but hopefully there is something. I will call admissions on Monday to see if the class is full or not. I hope at least to get a straight answer.


True, but there must have been some spots, even if very few, that would have opened up post May 15th. Not much to shoot for here, but hopefully there is something. I will call admissions on Monday to see if the class is full or not. I hope at least to get a straight answer.![]()
Thank you for doing that!!!
True, but there must have been some spots, even if very few, that would have opened up post May 15th. Not much to shoot for here, but hopefully there is something. I will call admissions on Monday to see if the class is full or not. I hope at least to get a straight answer.![]()
Anything?
anything?
+1
I know a guy who got off the waitlist this past Monday.
Sorry guys I haven't gotten around to it yet, but will try tomorrow morning (it was a long weekend in Canada and I took Tuesday off in addition). I will post as soon as I do. Hope that's okay! 🙂
I know a guy who got off the waitlist this past Monday.
Ahhhhhhhhhhh! Seriously?!? That just makes me really anxious now...especially since they will only accept a couple off the WL.



I just got off the phone with the admissions committee (I talked to Caroline) and she was not able to inform me of much (she might not be in the loop for the questions I asked, or not willing to tell...I suspect the latter). In response to whether WL offers are going out (or whether the class has been filled), she said she did not know. I also asked when we would hear a final decision (ie., a rejection) and she responded by saying that offers could be granted all the way into the summer, up to the day of matriculation. So I did not learn anything new, just confirmation.
Basically, its not over (until nearly the start of class) unless you say it is.
If someone else could call the admissions office, that would be appreciated! Perhaps if others call, they'll fold and let out some details. But as it stands, its probably best to forget about this, and potentially, be pleasantly surprised in the future (as opposed to sitting and waiting the whole summer).
Basically, its not over (until nearly the start of class) unless you say it is.
If someone else could call the admissions office, that would be appreciated! Perhaps if others call, they'll fold and let out some details. But as it stands, its probably best to forget about this, and potentially, be pleasantly surprised in the future (as opposed to sitting and waiting the whole summer).
Good luck to everyone accepted or still on the wait list. I have withdrawn from the wait list and chosen the Mayo Medical School 😀
Does anyone know how large the class is this year? I see that the facebook group has 96 members!
I guess what I'm really asking is, is it safe to assume the class is full?
I guess what I'm really asking is, is it safe to assume the class is full?
Does anyone know how large the class is this year? I see that the facebook group has 96 members!
I guess what I'm really asking is, is it safe to assume the class is full?
class size is ~110. I think it's pretty full and stable at this point.
time for me to give up on the Vandy. hard tho cause I'm doing research there all summer 👎
Does anyone know how large the class is this year? I see that the facebook group has 96 members!
I guess what I'm really asking is, is it safe to assume the class is full?
This is said with absolutely no insider knowledge, but I would be STUNNED if the class wasn't full. Vanderbilt wants a full roster next year - they wouldn't be sitting around with a bunch of empty seats in June.
I would hardly consider the facebook group an official head count (esp when you consider that probably 20 of the members of the group are actually upperclassmen who will be involved in orientation, mentoring, etc).
received a letter in the mail today notifying me that they are no longer considering my application from the waitlist. so waitlisted and rejected. good luck to everyone.
me too
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
received a letter in the mail today notifying me that they are no longer considering my application from the waitlist. so waitlisted and rejected. good luck to everyone.
Me too (at least I think so, since my parents got the letter and kind of summarized what it said).
It would have been nicer if they would have sent that to me in October, but whatever.
weird. i havent gotten one yet. anyone on the west coast? just a tiny tiny tiny glimmer of hope but either way im not really holding my breath.
I am west coast, letter was dated 6/7
huh. thanks. well my mail is kind of slow sometimes too...I am west coast, letter was dated 6/7
I didn't get a letter, so I emailed Dr Sagen to check my application status. Apparently I'm still on the waitlist. Bad news is that the class is full and there will likely be "little movement" from here on out.
👎
👎
well that's unfortunate.I didn't get a letter, so I emailed Dr Sagen to check my application status. Apparently I'm still on the waitlist. Bad news is that the class is full and there will likely be "little movement" from here on out.
👎
Yup, I emailed Dr Sagen and got the same thing. Class is full and movement on the wailtist is unlikely at this point.
I have not gotten a letter yet either (but I am also in Canada) but looks like it won't matter anyways...sigh...
due to family reasons. Vandy is such a great school, and the whole application experience has been just wonderful. It feels like I just gave up a part of myself. Best luck to y'all!
WL'ed student here, did anyone else get a call from Dr. Zic today? He called me earlier this afternoon (sounds like the nicest guy in the world) and apparently they're calling the students who are ranked at the top of the wait list to gauge their interest, as there's going to be a very small amount of movement to balance out several impending withdrawals...not sure what that "officially" means, but it sounds like there are some potential pseudo-acceptances-in-advance going out.
oh wow. don't think i got a call today but i guess well see. good luck everyoneWL'ed student here, did anyone else get a call from Dr. Zic today? He called me earlier this afternoon (sounds like the nicest guy in the world) and apparently they're calling the students who are ranked at the top of the wait list to gauge their interest, as there's going to be a very small amount of movement to balance out several impending withdrawals...not sure what that "officially" means, but it sounds like there are some potential pseudo-acceptances-in-advance going out.
well i know of at least one person who got off the waitlist just recently either today or yesterday
Officially accepted off the WL as of yesterday evening, withdrawing my spot though. Hopefully it goes to one of you guys!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Officially accepted off the WL as of yesterday evening, withdrawing my spot though. Hopefully it goes to one of you guys!
congrats. you're going to sinai right? did you already withdraw or are you doing it soon?
alright so there's one spot out there...and I'm withdrawing Friday...so maybe, just maybe...

well I won't get my hopes up
Officially accepted off the WL as of yesterday evening, withdrawing my spot though. Hopefully it goes to one of you guys!
May I ask why you stayed on the waitlist (especially since Dean Zic asked you if you were serious about going to Vanderbilt if you were accepted) even though you were already 100% sure of where you were going?
May I ask why you stayed on the waitlist (especially since Dean Zic asked you if you were serious about going to Vanderbilt if you were accepted) even though you were already 100% sure of where you were going?
Sure, it's certainly a valid question. I wasn't 100% sure of where I was going whatsoever when Dean Zic called to ask if I was interested in the school. At that time, I was matriculating to Mount Sinai but if there was any other school that would make me pause and consider with, it was Vanderbilt, so that was the only waitlist I remained on. When I spoke to Dean Zic last week, we talked specifically about how Mount Sinai and Vanderbilt were my top two choices and that if I were to be accepted, I would decide between both schools, something he was fully understanding of. I thought about it all weekend and discussed the pros and cons of each school with my family. I also had lengthy discussions with my best friend from college (currently an MS1 at VUSM) about the school as well. In the end, it was an unbelievably tough decision, but my family and I decided that with my sibling leaving for college coupled with general family health concerns, it would be best for me to stay as close to home as possible for the next few years. I didn't remain on the waitlist for the sake of 'collecting acceptances', if that's what you're implying, as Vanderbilt and Sinai have always been my top two choices from the start of this cycle. I hope that explanation is valid enough for you. Vandy will always have a huge place in my heart and I sincerely hope that things work out for another qualified student on the waitlist.
Sure, it's certainly a valid question. I wasn't 100% sure of where I was going whatsoever when Dean Zic called to ask if I was interested in the school. At that time, I was matriculating to Mount Sinai but if there was any other school that would make me pause and consider with, it was Vanderbilt, so that was the only waitlist I remained on. When I spoke to Dean Zic last week, we talked specifically about how Mount Sinai and Vanderbilt were my top two choices and that if I were to be accepted, I would decide between both schools, something he was fully understanding of. I thought about it all weekend and discussed the pros and cons of each school with my family. I also had lengthy discussions with my best friend from college (currently an MS1 at VUSM) about the school as well. In the end, it was an unbelievably tough decision, but my family and I decided that with my sibling leaving for college coupled with general family health concerns, it would be best for me to stay as close to home as possible for the next few years. I didn't remain on the waitlist for the sake of 'collecting acceptances', if that's what you're implying, as Vanderbilt and Sinai have always been my top two choices from the start of this cycle. I hope that explanation is valid enough for you. Vandy will always have a huge place in my heart and I sincerely hope that things work out for another qualified student on the waitlist.
It's ok, I wasn't trying to imply anything, I was genuinely curious. FWIW, I struggled with the exact same decision myself (it seems the two schools attract a very similar type of student) so I understand the dilemma. Sinai is a fantastic school and it, too, holds a big place in my heart.
Also, I'm curious of who your BFF from undergrad is 😉
withdrawing in 2 days. oh the agony.
I wonder how quickly they turn over spots...maybe I still have a shot at bluedevil's spot
I wonder how quickly they turn over spots...maybe I still have a shot at bluedevil's spot

- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K