2009-2010 Vanderbilt University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's been the trend, mostly because phone calls are instantaneous and snail mail takes a couple of days. The decisions are probably all made at the same time, but the acceptees know first.

:( That makes me sad.

Members don't see this ad.

that sucks I guess...i mean with second visit weekend coming up, Im sure they are wrapping up their initial accepteees. I basically want my W/L already as pessimistic as that sounds so I can just move on

:( That makes me sad.

Sorry. I'm not trying to be pessimistic, it just seems to me after a couple of months of following this thread that it happens this way.

If yall are waitlisted, we're in the same boat stranded at sea. Hopefully we won't have to eat each other.

yeah, i cant wait for that WL letter...midterms next week AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the dreaded waitlist letter today too. I interviewed on 1/15 and was actually hoping to get in.

However, I will say that I had the worst interview experience by far at Vandy compared to any of the other schools I've interviewed at. For the first 10 minutes of my interview, my interviewer was typing an email as I tried to have some type of small talk going. Then throughout the interview, she would constantly answer her phone every time it rang (which was often) and interrupt me as I was answering a question. And it was painfully obvious that she did not care about the interview and had barely read my application (if at all) and was just going through a set list of extremely generic questions. So I'm not very surprised with the outcome.

The good thing is that I at least have other options, although I did really like the feel I got from the other parts of the Vandy experience. Anyway, good luck to everyone else who is still hoping to hear back (it's better to be waiting than to know your on the WL).

Sounds like Dr. Roumie. lol

Does Vanderbilt have electives during the 3rd year?

Does Vanderbilt have electives during the 3rd year?

Third year is 6 core rotations (Medicine, Surgery, OB/Gyn, Peds, Psych, Neuro). No true electives though there is variability/choice within each rotation and exposure to some subspecialties through the core rotations. Here

Medicine - 11 weeks. Choose 3 services (1 general inpatient medicine + 2 specialties such as cards, GI, ID). 2 weeks of ambulatory medicine at end of clerkship

Surgery - 11 weeks. Choose 1 core general surgery service (onc, transplant, etc) and 2 surgical subspecialties (ortho, uro, anesthesia, etc.

OB/Gyn - 5.5 weeks. approximately half gyn (benign or onc) and half OB

Peds - 5.5 weeks. half inpatient (mix of general peds and peds specialties) and half ambulatory care

Neuro - 5.5 weeks. Split between 2 neuro services such as stroke/ICU, peds, general neuro, consults

Psych - 5.5 weeks. Split between 2 psych services such as consults, adolescent, addictions, adult thought disorders, and adult mood disorders

I will say that I think a weakness of our third year is its relative rigidity. No chance for exposure to fields like radiology, derm, EM as a third year. There have been whispers of trying to change the schedule to build in an elective month but I have no clue if/when that would actually happen.

Overall our third year is outstanding. Great attendings, great clinical experience, residents who buy in to the importance of teaching.

thanks for ur info..how many months do you get after 2nd year to study for the usmle? i hear you guys do really well so i assume every student doesnt have a problem matching into their desired residency

thanks for ur info..how many months do you get after 2nd year to study for the usmle? i hear you guys do really well so i assume every student doesnt have a problem matching into their desired residency
Our class got 7 weeks, which is plenty of time. Most people I talked to wished they'd studied less, including me.

HOLY CHRIST....615 area code popped up....thank you DEAN ZIC...thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
HOLY CHRIST....615 area code popped up....thank you DEAN ZIC...thank you

haha yeah i was thinking "no way" when the 615 popped up on my phone. congrats!!

congrats to everyone else who got in as well!

Called financial aid.

BTW, today is the deadline for priority award letter stuff, so get your FAFSA and Need Access in ASAP.

She also said that all scholarships have been given out but if someone withdraws they will be re-awarded.

On page 32, CaptainEO said he or she got the call from Dean Zic and the email from Dr. Sagen about one week after actually receiving the wl letter so I guess all the acceptees will be notified in a similar fashion.

How are those accepted off the waitlist notified?

I'm waitlisted here. what's the movement been like historically?

I'm waitlisted here. what's the movement been like historically?

not much, but a couple people this yr have already been waitlisted and then accepted.

when did you interview?

got a small letter in the mail from vandy. i do not want to open it. i think i'll let it sit on my desk....next to another email i just got with a WL notification on it. great day. ugh........:thumbdown:

got a small letter in the mail from vandy. i do not want to open it. i think i'll let it sit on my desk....next to another email i just got with a WL notification on it. great day. ugh........:thumbdown:

:scared:

I'm expecting a waitlist here.

Sorry to hear about your other waitlist. I got two waitlists yesterday, so I know how you feel.

:scared:

I'm expecting a waitlist here.

Sorry to hear about your other waitlist. I got two waitlists yesterday, so I know how you feel.

good luck. and sorry to hear about the waitlists. fortunately, one of mine apparently has 50 that usually get accepted from the WL, but no idea how many people are on it, and there is no ranking.

Just got the WL letter in the mail today :cry: Heartbroken....Vandy was my first choice by far.

This has just not been my week....two rejections pre-interview, rejection from a writing symposium, and a close family member ended up in the hospital.

The only bright side is that I have one med school acceptance to fall back on. Still receiving the silent treatment from my other top choice though :(
Just waiting for this whole process to be over now!

Congrats to everyone who was accepted and good luck to everyone who was waitlisted/still waiting! :luck::xf:

And there you have it. Waitlist letter came for me today too.

I think I was waitlisted today. I am not sure. Is this a waitlist letter?

Your completed application to Vanderbilt University school of medicine was reviewed at a recent meeting of the admissions committee. The Committee took note of your many strengths and accomplishments and we are most appreciative of your application. While we are not able to offer you an immediate invitation at this time, we will be reconsidering your application throughout the admissions season. This process should benefit applicants who are not offered immmediate invitation because they may not have to wait until May 15th to be reconsidered.

The May 15th comment gives me hope this may not be. I looked through the msg boards and didn't find any info. I hope this is positive because right now my tally is 12 secondaries, 7 interviews, and 3 waitlists, 0 acceptances.
I swear if I get 7 "waitlists" I will be incredibly bummed.

I think I was waitlisted today. I am not sure. Is this a waitlist letter?

Your completed application to Vanderbilt University school of medicine was reviewed at a recent meeting of the admissions committee. The Committee took note of your many strengths and accomplishments and we are most appreciative of your application. While we are not able to offer you an immediate invitation at this time, we will be reconsidering your application throughout the admissions season. This process should benefit applicants who are not offered immmediate invitation because they may not have to wait until May 15th to be reconsidered.

just opened my letter. that is exactly what mine says. i'm pretty sure that it is a waitlist letter. hence the "....we will be reconsidering your application throughout the admissions season"....idk. i hope you are right in that it is not a WL and perhaps something more positive, but i think it's a WL.

I hate how all these waitlist letters try and sound so freaking positive. If I was as good as every waitlist made me sound then I wouldnt be getting a waitlist would I?

"Congratulations, You've been waitlisted. We Will continue to jerk you around for the next few months with cryptic messages before we finally tell to try again next year. Thanks for waiting so far, you've been so wonderfully patient, we now ask you to wait several months before you abandon hope. We would rather waitlist everyone because we don't have the balls to actually reject anyone. We will continue to glance over at our stack of waitlists at least once per week. Occasionally we will grab one out and accept them just to instill hope and solidarity among the masses. In the event of a sudden loss of altitude an oxygen mask will drop from the bin above your head. Remember to equip your own mask before assisting those around you with their mask. In the event of an emergency landing your seat cushion can be used as a flotation device. Remember, feel free to send us letters we won't read. Have a great day!"

It would be way better if it just said "Bummer dude. Waitlisted. Sorry man." Signed Dean Zic

Waitlisted, guess i'm going to Maryland.

I hate how all these waitlist letters try and sound so freaking positive. If I was as good as every waitlist made me sound then I wouldnt be getting a waitlist would I?

"Congratulations, You've been waitlisted. We Will continue to jerk you around for the next few months with cryptic messages before we finally tell to try again next year. Thanks for waiting so far, you've been so wonderfully patient, we now ask you to wait several months before you abandon hope. We would rather waitlist everyone because we don't have the balls to actually reject anyone. We will continue to glance over at our stack of waitlists at least once per week. Occasionally we will grab one out and accept them just to instill hope and solidarity among the masses. In the event of a sudden loss of altitude an oxygen mask will drop from the bin above your head. Remember to equip your own mask before assisting those around you with their mask. In the event of an emergency landing your seat cushion can be used as a flotation device. Remember, feel free to send us letters we won't read. Have a great day!"

It would be way better if it just said "Bummer dude. Waitlisted. Sorry man." Signed Dean Zic

truth. :thumbup:

Okay, I finally joined SDN to tell you how much I liked this post- Cracked me up, totally sums up the process. I did get accepted at Vandy, but feel this way about others- hang in there!

Okay, I finally joined SDN to tell you how much I liked this post- Cracked me up, totally sums up the process. I did get accepted at Vandy, but feel this way about others- hang in there!

:confused:

as nice as that sounds and all...

Waitlisted. It's one of my top choices, but it didn't sting as much as I anticipated. We'll see how the wait goes, but the fact that I got my first acceptance the same day that I got waitlisted kinda smoothed things over.

"...It would be way better if it just said "Bummer dude. Waitlisted. Sorry man." Signed Dean Zic

HAHAHA. UNCHopeful -- your post made my day. I don't write much here, but I had to thank you for the laugh after receiving two waitlists in 24 hours.

And best of luck to everyone -- it seems more and more that the application cycle doesn't end until we step foot into our first med school class.

Has there been a trend of spots opening up in March? I'm just wondering since this is when non-rolling schools such as Harvard, Yale, Columbia, and Duke send out acceptances.

Also, has there been any recent acceptances? This thread has been a little quiet lately..

Also, has there been any recent acceptances? This thread has been a little quiet lately..

No insider info here, but I'd be willing to bet the initial acceptances are done with - the second look weekend is in like two weeks, so I'd guess that the last rash of postings here indicated the adcom trying to get through everyone in time to invite the last of the accepted students to second look.

Has there been a trend of spots opening up in March? I'm just wondering since this is when non-rolling schools such as Harvard, Yale, Columbia, and Duke send out acceptances.

I think they plan for that by over-accepting for their class size. I don't know though. I looked through last year's thread a while ago and it didn't seem like there was much WL movement past March, at least for SDNers.

It would be great if there was some movement :xf:

I think they plan for that by over-accepting for their class size.

Yes, vandy definitely overaccepts. I don't know the exact number off the top of my head. But it takes a while for the numbers to trickle down from the overaccepted number to the actual class size (also most people don't drop their acceptances right away - they want to wait for things like fin aid, second look, etc).

In past years I don't think there has been much/any waitlist action from March-May. If anything does open up you likely won't see it until post May 15th.

Hmm not going to lie that depresses me a lot. But I suppose honesty is better than false hope. I feel like I have done all I can on my end to help my cause being on the waitlist. Now it is in the hands of the adcom (and perhaps the gods lol).

Hmm not going to lie that depresses me a lot. But I suppose honesty is better than false hope. I feel like I have done all I can on my end to help my cause being on the waitlist. Now it is in the hands of the adcom (and perhaps the gods lol).

If you wanna help me build an altar to the goddess Fortuna, let me know :p

I can't believe second look is next weekend!! Craziness... time is flying!

Status
Not open for further replies.