2010-2011 Harvard Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have a serious question about Harvard.

When I interview can I pahk the cah in the yahd? Or will I get towed...?

Members don't see this ad.

So I have a serious question about Harvard.

When I interview can I pahk the cah in the yahd? Or will I get towed...?

Which Yahd? Hahvahd Yahd? Are you parking on the undergrad campus and then shuttling to the medical campus?

Okay, this is not the helpful reply you wanted...

It just hit me that March 1st is only three weeks away.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm trying not to build up too much anticipation for March 1st. A lot of factors play into getting the decisions ready. I'm anticipating between the first and the fifteenth.

I can't decide whether to be excited or terrified.

It's gonna be here before I know it... two? tests, 10? homeworks, 2 cross-country trips, and other stuff between now and then lol. I'm excited and hopeful.

I'm trying not to build up too much anticipation for March 1st. A lot of factors play into getting the decisions ready. I'm anticipating between the first and the fifteenth.
That's true. Do we even know 15th is the original date, or was that just last year's date?

For sure, patience in all things. After consigning myself to months and months of waiting, it just feels good that spring is around the corner.

Is it just because I have the "ostrich syndrome," but I personally think ignorance is bliss. =p

Yeah, I doubt it's so clear cut as March 1 or March 15. I wouldn't put bets on a certain day.

(off-topic) - I interviewed at Harvard early Oct. I can't even remember what my Harvard interview was like anymore...do any people who interviewed early feel that way? I just find it funny how this was my first interview, but likely to be my last decision. Hoping for the best!!!!

Is it just because I have the "ostrich syndrome," but I personally think ignorance is bliss. =p

Yeah, I doubt it's so clear cut as March 1 or March 15. I wouldn't put bets on a certain day.

(off-topic) - I interviewed at Harvard early Oct. I can't even remember what my Harvard interview was like anymore...do any people who interviewed early feel that way? I just find it funny how this was my first interview, but likely to be my last decision. Hoping for the best!!!!

I share the sentiments about most interviews. Hard to remember exactly what you said/happened etc.

Anyone know when HMS wrapped up interviews?

I just remembered that they had a little fly painted on each of the men's urinals. Any of you guys see those?

............................:laugh:

I just remembered that they had a little fly painted on each of the men's urinals. Any of you guys see those?

............................:laugh:

my university has the same thing, it's only on the waterless urinals and is to help you aim so your piss doesn't splatter on the walls and floor

Members don't see this ad :)
my university has the same thing, it's only on the waterless urinals and is to help you aim so your piss doesn't splatter on the walls and floor

Ya I remember reading a study done in bars. Apparently drunk people are more likely to get it all in the urinal if they have something to aim at, lol. Come to think of it, maybe I saw this on MANswers.......

Anyone know how Harvard feels about post-interview update letters?

Anyone know how Harvard feels about post-interview update letters?

I emailed the admissions office, and they said that it was fine to just email it to them. However, I never got a confirmation back after I emailed them my update.

I've emailed two updates and I did not receive a reply the first time but I did get a nice reply the second time, saying they had attached it to my file.

I've emailed two updates and I did not receive a reply the first time but I did get a nice reply the second time, saying they had attached it to my file.

Did you update about additional things to add to your dossier, e.g. new publication or new activity, or about your interest in Harvard?

On a general note, is it very common to send update letters? I'm thinking about it, but I'd rather not give them extra reading material if its potential impacts are minimal.

New publications and activities. But I emphasized my interest in Harvard too. If I remember correctly, the interview coordinator said to feel free to send updates and many of the first year students I spoke with said that they did. I don't think it would hurt your application to send one!

OMG, March 1st is officially next week!!!! :eek:

Have other people heard that March 1st is set in stone for this cycle to release decisions?

:luck:

As much as I would love to hear from Harvard next week, I am not holding my breath for the first week of March. When I interviewed in the fall, we were told decisions would be out by the third week (as it says on the admissions website). When did people start hearing that March 1st will be "the big day"?

As much as I would love to hear from Harvard next week, I am not holding my breath for the first week of March. When I interviewed in the fall, we were told decisions would be out by the third week (as it says on the admissions website). When did people start hearing that March 1st will be "the big day"?

True. From last years thread, most people didn't hear until March 15 so I wouldn't expect to hear until around then too.

Because at my interview day, they said they were working on moving it up by a couple of weeks and were planning on releasing acceptances around March 1.

Seems like people have heard both. I know they have interviewed fewer people this year than in previous years, so an earlier reponse could be possible like stevo111 and tkp have heard.
We'll all see what happens I guess:luck:

Seems like people have heard both. I know they have interviewed fewer people this year than in previous years, so an earlier reponse could be possible like stevo111 and tkp have heard.
We'll all see what happens I guess:luck:

hmm, that's interesting. how do you know that they interviewed fewer people this year? Do you, by any chance, know roughly how much fewer (to make decisions available a couple weeks earlier)?

Thanks!

egyptiangod I was told at my interview in the initial "orientation" session. I actually wrote the numbers down. I will look them up and post them later.

well regardless of what day in march we find out...good luck to all of us!

hmm, that's interesting. how do you know that they interviewed fewer people this year? Do you, by any chance, know roughly how much fewer (to make decisions available a couple weeks earlier)?

Thanks!

I think they said they were going to interview about 850 people.

I think they said they were going to interview about 850 people.

Wow. So 850 interviews for probably 220-240 acceptances (this includes both NP and HST). Slightly better odds of admission post-interview, but it's still Harvard, so we'll see. In any case, good luck to everyone!

egyptiangod I was told at my interview in the initial "orientation" session. I actually wrote the numbers down. I will look them up and post them later.

Hey all, thanks for the responses. It's fascinating to see that we all don't get the same pieces of information on Interview Day and then come to finish the puzzle here.

Yeah, 850 is slightly smaller than they usually interview, but that sounds reasonable.

I'll wait to hear back from you HoldFast2Dreams - I'm curious as to what numbers you were able to jot down. Thanks in advance!

Wow. So 850 interviews for probably 220-240 acceptances (this includes both NP and HST). Slightly better odds of admission post-interview, but it's still Harvard, so we'll see. In any case, good luck to everyone!

Aren't the odds always better post-interview ;). Regardless, 600 people is one hell of a number to cut. And I'm sure the 850 who were interviewed were all amazing and well accomplished. I wonder what kind of criteria will be used to cut such a huge number. Kinda scary

Aren't the odds always better post-interview ;). Regardless, 600 people is one hell of a number to cut. And I'm sure the 850 who were interviewed were all amazing and well accomplished. I wonder what kind of criteria will be used to cut such a huge number. Kinda scary

The number to which I was referring was the 954 interviewed last year. Everything else constant (the number of acceptances, number of seats, etc), the chance of admission post-interview will increase due to a decrease in the number of interviewees. So yes, the chances of being accepted post-interview are always higher, but, this year, the chances of being admitted to Harvard (all else equal) are higher relative to previous years.

Here are the numbers I vividly remember from interview day:

~3700 applied
Only ~15% being interviewed this year = ~555

...Agreed. I don't believe it either.

~CG

Here are the numbers I vividly remember from interview day:

~3700 applied
Only ~15% being interviewed this year = ~555

...Agreed. I don't believe it either.

~CG
the 850 includes dental school I think or other programs
but I know for NP the number of interviews is much less than 800 so 555 might be it

the 850 includes dental school I think or other programs
but I know for NP the number of interviews is much less than 800 so 555 might be it

Um, I have 850 interviewed 230 accepted written down in my folder as well, like the majority. (interviewed early October).

MSAR has 830 interviewed and 6000 applications for 2009-2010 cycle. ~3.7k is far too few for a school the caliber of Harvard.

"Harvard Medical School" interviews between 800-1000. http://hms.harvard.edu/admissions/default.asp?page=statistics

The only interesting thing is the MSAR, because they definitely said that they are interviewing less people this year and the figure last year quoted verbally by the adcoms was in the 900's.

Anyhow, I just wanted to throw this out there. We should be realistic, but we should also refrain from giving information that's stretching it.

Um, I have 850 interviewed 230 accepted written down in my folder as well, like the majority. (interviewed early October).

MSAR has 830 interviewed and 6000 applications for 2009-2010 cycle. ~3.7k is far too few for a school the caliber of Harvard.

"Harvard Medical School" interviews between 800-1000. http://hms.harvard.edu/admissions/default.asp?page=statistics

The only interesting thing is the MSAR, because they definitely said that they are interviewing less people this year and the figure last year quoted verbally by the adcoms was in the 900's.

Anyhow, I just wanted to throw this out there. We should be realistic, but we should also refrain from giving information that's stretching it.
either way it doesnt matter what the number is. Everyone will know their fate in the next week or 2 so good luck to us and congrats for even being interviewed (at least I am happy to b part of the 555-1000 interviewed!!!)

either way it doesnt matter what the number is. Everyone will know their fate in the next week or 2 so good luck to us and congrats for even being interviewed (at least I am happy to b part of the 555-1000 interviewed!!!)

Yeah, good luck to you too!

I just had to say it so people don't gain false hope (and stress out about it before decision day)...having a ~50% admit rate post-interview and a ~27% admit rate post-interview are two very different things. : )

Yeah, that is interesting, I was just checking out the MSAR last night at a reference desk, and I was coming here this morning to let everyone know about that number. It seems odd that they gave out different stats- to applicants, they say they interviewed 954, and yet officially on the MSAR they say they interviewed 830. But whatever, like everyone said --> we'll just wait and see :)

Yeah, that is interesting, I was just checking out the MSAR last night at a reference desk, and I was coming here this morning to let everyone know about that number. It seems odd that they gave out different stats- to applicants, they say they interviewed 954, and yet officially on the MSAR they say they interviewed 830. But whatever, like everyone said --> we'll just wait and see :)
isnt that MSAR for the class of 2009-2010? just checkin

Yes, USNWR has the same numbers listed too.

I heard through the grapevine that admit packets were tentatively scheduled to go out March 7th. You probably don't have too much longer to wait.
Best of luck!

Did anyone who sent any correspondence to the admissions office receive confirmation?

I heard through the grapevine that admit packets were tentatively scheduled to go out March 7th. You probably don't have too much longer to wait.
Best of luck!

hmm, would that mean

march 1st?
or
march 8th?

:luck:

Best of luck!

Wow, so I guess we won't have to wait too long; do they send that via snail mail or email???

Waiting is so hard!!

Status
Not open for further replies.