2022-2023 Harvard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any waitlisters also feel immense anxiety that you have nothing significant to update them with but feel like everyone else is sending an update letter lol
I feel that. Is it consensus that for Harvard you just send updates/interest if on the WL and not a Letter of Intent?

Members don't see this ad.

Lol this is me being extra neurotic but for anyone else with an A, do we have to respond to the email or just wait until we hear from the admissions coordinator? It says 'I look forward to hearing from you'

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Pre-II rejection, but it’s okay because I just got accepted into another school 🥰🥰
5350F683-4CD1-4999-9279-4998A2C36F36.jpeg

Can’t wait for the white coat ceremony! The coats do look a little tight though…

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 12 users
Current M1 in pathways, good luck to all those that got in and reach out with questions!!

Reactions: 2 users
You would be surprised. People do turn down Harvard. Location, money, relationships, etc. Prestige and research funding is not always the only factor people consider. Cristina Yangs are everywhere. From your local state school to Harvard. When you look through crimson-colored glasses, you might miss something great elsewhere. Anyways, gl to everyone! As corny as it sounds, you WILL end up where you are meant to be. Periodt.
Can confirm I’ll 99% certainly be turning down my Pathways A for somewhere closer to home ~~ May that spot go to one of you WL-ers!! Good luck to everyone

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 10 users
Are there accepted student groups yet?
This is extremely roundabout so they'll probably send another email with the Facebook group soon, but I stumbled upon a link to the Facebook group. So first click on the link to the acceptance packet (not the attached PDF but the link embedded in the email), then go to FAQ, and one of the tabs is about communication channels.

Reactions: 3 users
Should we steer away from writing about our post-WL interest in the school in our update letter? What comes off as too desperate?

Should we steer away from writing about our post-WL interest in the school in our update letter? What comes off as too desperate?
Full transparency; post-II reject here, but if I were on the WL I would definitely emphasize my significant interest in the update, and even intent if that's the case for you. I think genuine interest/intent post-WL, given reasons that you would provide, would only ever help your case.
Best of luck :)

Reactions: 1 user
Is an additional 100 hours of clinical experience during my gap year substantial enough to warrant an Update Letter? Wasn’t sure if that was a laughable update at this level haha

Last edited:
I've also decided to drop my A here to attend Stanford or Hopkins, a couple of my friends too, so I'm assuming there's going to be some WL movement for you guys!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Does anyone know when we should submit updates? Is by end of march reasonable, as I assume they won't begin look at WL applications till late april?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when we should submit updates? Is by end of march reasonable, as I assume they won't begin look at WL applications till late april?
Wondering the same... if no one has asked already & is willing to share, I can reach out this week to ask and let y'all know?

Wondering the same... if no one has asked already & is willing to share, I can reach out this week to ask and let y'all know?
Not sure either. But from an email regarding HST waitlist, they said "Based on previous experience, I expect that we will not go to the wait list until early May 2023", and "Please note: Most of our wait list offers are made from mid-June through late July."

Alongside the AAMC April 30, Plan to Enroll/narrow to 1 A and that HMS requires a "Commit to Enroll" by June 1st, which would make sense that we see some WL movement in May, but also potentially more in mid-June like they said.
Not sure either. But from an email regarding HST waitlist, they said "Based on previous experience, I expect that we will not go to the wait list until early May 2023", and "Please note: Most of our wait list offers are made from mid-June through late July."

What's the best way to format an update/letter of interest? Should we have the updates in the first paragraph and then our interest in the second paragraph?

lmfao harvard is trolling me so hard accidentally sending me an email saying congrats on acceptance and info on revisit weekend despite getting rejected

do I just play along

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
lmfao harvard is trolling me so hard accidentally sending me an email saying congrats on acceptance and info on revisit weekend despite getting rejected

do I just play along
Honestly yes, what do you have to lose 👀 It's not like they can double-reject you

Now that they sent me an accepted email I’ll see y’all in August! (Obv kidding)

funny enough they sent another email "fixing it", and yes they did double-reject me lmfao

they couldn't just let me mourn in peace huh
LMFAO can you tell us about the content of this email // how it was phrased because this is absolutely hilarious... hms wyd

LMFAO can you tell us about the content of this email // how it was phrased because this is absolutely hilarious... hms wyd
oh u probably meant the "second rejection" email?

That one was:

Good evening,

I am SO SO sorry – it was just brought to my attention that an accepted students programming message was sent out to the incorrect listserv. I am so sorry for this mistake. Wishing you the best of luck at whatever medical school is lucky enough to have you!!

its actually so funny that after trying to forget about harvard for the past week basically this then shows up

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Congratulations to everyone who got that A!! As someone who interviewed but was rejected, I was wondering if any of y’all could critique my application?

Congratulations to everyone who got that A!! As someone who interviewed but was rejected, I was wondering if any of y’all could critique my application?
Wishing you all the best, but realistically, I am not sure if this would be helpful since none of us can provide insight into what the adcoms thought, and I do think there is luck involved with final outcomes. Clearly, you are accomplished - you were interviewed! I wouldn't mull too much over this and would focus on the place that will be lucky to have you.

Reactions: 5 users
I've also decided to drop my A here to attend Stanford or Hopkins, a couple of my friends too, so I'm assuming there's going to be some WL movement for you guys!
This is an insane flex, happy for you!

Hello! could any current HMS who

1) identify as URM/FGLI speak to their experiences at HMS and if they feel supported by the institution and the student body?

2) Are interested in serving underserved communities speak to how HMS allows them to partake in this interest? I am concerned that the patient population of HMS rotation sites does not allow for serving underprivileged communities. But I wasn't sure if this is true or not

Hello! could any current HMS who

1) identify as URM/FGLI speak to their experiences at HMS and if they feel supported by the institution and the student body?

2) Are interested in serving underserved communities speak to how HMS allows them to partake in this interest? I am concerned that the patient population of HMS rotation sites does not allow for serving underprivileged communities. But I wasn't sure if this is true or not
Commenting on point 2.

My main interesting is serving an underserved population. We have something called OCCME which is a new (as of this year) office which partners students with community orgs and provides support for partnerships in projects. We also have CCC which is students volunteer their time at clinics (not student run clinics, normal medical clinics we just volunteer at) doing clinical work and these clinics all have low income and underserved patient populations. There is also a student org that hosts clinics with attendings at homeless shelters in boston. As far as in the hospitals, I'm in first year so can only speak to that. For the hospitals, there is a mix of patient populations. For your primary care clinic it varies a lot, some have really diverse patient populations others have really high SES populations. I think serving underserved populations isn't something innately built into HMS curriculum but IMO there is a lot of opportunity to do it and support for it if you're interested in it. Also there is a fair amount of disparities access research etc going on here.

Commenting on point 2.

My main interesting is serving an underserved population. We have something called OCCME which is a new (as of this year) office which partners students with community orgs and provides support for partnerships in projects. We also have CCC which is students volunteer their time at clinics (not student run clinics, normal medical clinics we just volunteer at) doing clinical work and these clinics all have low income and underserved patient populations. There is also a student org that hosts clinics with attendings at homeless shelters in boston. As far as in the hospitals, I'm in first year so can only speak to that. For the hospitals, there is a mix of patient populations. For your primary care clinic it varies a lot, some have really diverse patient populations others have really high SES populations. I think serving underserved populations isn't something innately built into HMS curriculum but IMO there is a lot of opportunity to do it and support for it if you're interested in it. Also there is a fair amount of disparities access research etc going on here.
Thank you so much for your insight and help. the OCCME sounds really cool. Also I like that the CCC is based on real clinics and not student run clinic. I feel like the ethics of these type of clinics seem very wishy washy. Just my 2 cents from visiting other schools. As long as the opportunity is there to do it (both research wise and service wise) that is what I am most concerned with. Even if it takes a little extra effort.

Anyone know how receptive Harvard is to financial aid negotiation with scholarship offers from other schools?

Last edited:
Anyone know how receptive Harvard is to financial aid negotiation with scholarship offers from other schools?
As far as I know, they don't consider merit-based scholarship offers from other schools, but they will look at your other purely need-based offers. They try to understand how other schools calculated your EFC in case they missed something. They don't "match" those offers per se.

2023 HMS Music Video dropped, feel free to share!

Just withdrew here, best of luck to those on the WL!!

Reactions: 1 users