2010-2011 University of Kansas Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
FYI...For all those who interviewed during the week of 1/24. I talked to KU today and the Decision Letters will NOT go out until this Thursday 2/24. Guess they had a set back with the weather or something on deliberation day and were unable to make up that day due to ongoing interviews. But this Thursday is mailout day for sure, barring some other unforeseen event. :soexcited:

As always GL to everyone else waiting, I'm dying to hear back. :xf:

Members don't see this ad.

Feb 18th was the last day of interviews.

Edit: And I didn't see that there was an 18th page and 2 people already said this!

Last edited:
Well, our fate is being packed into little white envelopes today. Good luck to everyone in the Jan 24-26 group, and thanks to Mike for biting the bullet and calling to see when the letters were going out, I would have been frantically checking the mail all week. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
:love: Received acceptance into MD/PhD program at KU today!!

Well done! Congratulations!

:love: Received acceptance into MD/PhD program at KU today!!

Congratulations! When was you interview if you don't mind my asking? I don't know much about KU's MD/PhD process.

Congratulations! When was you interview if you don't mind my asking? I don't know much about KU's MD/PhD process.

I interviewed Jan 14 and 15. They interviewed everyone at this time except for two people who interviewed later because of scheduling conflicts. The process is very separate from the MD admissions, so I don't think my timeline has any bearing for MD applicants.

The dreaded hold status...........good luck to everyone else waiting for their letters.

Accepted, huzzah! :D I interviewed on January 24th as an OOS applicant and received the letter today. The letter was delivered to California. Best of luck to those still waiting for their letters! Excited to meet all of you!

Accepted! Jan.25th interview, in-state. Best of luck to those who haven't heard!:):):)

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted, huzzah! :D I interviewed on January 24th as an OOS applicant and received the letter today. The letter was delivered to California. Best of luck to those still waiting for their letters! Excited to meet all of you!

Did you move back to Cali then?

Accepted! Got letter today. Interviewed Jan 24. OOS applicant, yay, wasn't sure how things would work out. Hope to finally meet some of you guys this summer. :soexcited:

Accepted! Got letter today. Interviewed Jan 24. OOS applicant, yay, wasn't sure how things would work out. Hope to finally meet some of you guys this summer. :soexcited:

Awesome, I knew you'd get in! Are you waiting for any other acceptances? And no, I didn't move back; the letter was sent to my permanent address in Cali which was on file in AMCAS due to the uncertainty of my future whereabouts when I initially filled it all out.

Last edited:
Awesome, I knew you'd get in! Are you waiting for any other acceptances? And no, I didn't move back; the letter was sent to my permanent address in Cali which was on file in AMCAS due to the uncertainty of my future whereabouts when I initially filled it all out.

Well, I have a couple more interview scheduled in early March. But I won't go to them. I didn't buy the plane tickets yet which is why I was dying to know if I was accepted to KU or not cuz I really like KU's program. Well Congrats Path, see you in the summer. Gonna do some House hunting now.

Does anyone have a clue as to how many people are put on hold status????

this is from last years thread on the subject of calculating the odds of acceptance and getting off hold (for regular decision):
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=8891402&postcount=564

seems 10 accepted in each session out of 60 total interviewed would be about 17% chance of a straight acceptance when granted an interview.
then 30/60 or 50% chance of getting put on hold, and they said in that post that there is about a 25% chance of getting accepted in march.

i would think it would be mostly the same except it seems there were 2 interview sessions in november this year and not last year (and maybe some other small differences?)

ofc that's just chances and everyone's unique application (stats, ecs, story, interview etc) make it impossible to really gauge anything ><
hope this time works out better for you than last year EMD:xf:

edit: maybe this is more what you're looking for? this is from 2008 but, based on info i received (but now can't find) at a 2009 open house i attended, i think it's relatively the same still as well.

Total admissions data: 2046 applied, 466 interviewed, 222 were accepted, 175 enrolled

In-state admissions data: 448 applied,364 interviewed, 183 were accepted, 155 enrolled

Out-of-state admissions data: 1598 applied, 102 interviewed, 39 were accepted, 20 enrolled

Hold status here too..... This post is from pg. 14.

Hold status.. so we should find out something more definite in mid-March, right?

:luck::luck::xf::xf::luck::luck: Good luck to those of you still waiting!

I called Jason on Friday, March 4th and he said that letters would be mailed out towards the end of next week.

Will they let you know your status if you call? I am going to be gone on spring break and won't be able to check the mail for that week...good luck everybody!

From my understanding, they wont release information over the phone. Look at it this way...when you come back you'll have a surprise waitin' for ya. Hopefully it's good! Good luck to everyone!!

Hi guys,

I just recently accepted at Research Assistant job at KU Med. Since graduating a couple of years ago, I have been a Research Assistant at Baylor College of Medicine down in Houston. My wife and I are relocating Kansas City this week, and I am looking to apply to medical school this summer. We will be living on the Missouri side, but I really want to apply EDP to KU Med this summer. I know that KU heavily favors in-state applicants, but I have pretty strong ties to Kansas and the Kansas City area. Has anyone heard of OOS applicants being successful in the EDP Pool? My MCAT is 29 (10V, 10P, 9B), or a 30 MCAT if combining highest sections. GPA is 3.55 with a 3.7 sGPA. I have 2 years of emergency room tech experience, 3 years of research experience (2 co-author papers), several hundred hours of volunteer and shadowing experience.

My other dilemma is this. I would also like to apply to UMKC, but their application deadline is August 1st. I know that through AMCAS, if you apply EDP you can only apply to one school. However, UMKC has a completely seperate application. Would it be bad to submit an application to here as well, or is this something that is not even possible if I apply EDP to KU? Any advice/comments are really appreciated. Thanks!

Not that I am a total weirdo with dates, I just remember this one for a reason other than the letters, but last year I got the final letter on Thursday March 11.

Hi guys,

I just recently accepted at Research Assistant job at KU Med. Since graduating a couple of years ago, I have been a Research Assistant at Baylor College of Medicine down in Houston. My wife and I are relocating Kansas City this week, and I am looking to apply to medical school this summer. We will be living on the Missouri side, but I really want to apply EDP to KU Med this summer. I know that KU heavily favors in-state applicants, but I have pretty strong ties to Kansas and the Kansas City area. Has anyone heard of OOS applicants being successful in the EDP Pool? My MCAT is 29 (10V, 10P, 9B), or a 30 MCAT if combining highest sections. GPA is 3.55 with a 3.7 sGPA. I have 2 years of emergency room tech experience, 3 years of research experience (2 co-author papers), several hundred hours of volunteer and shadowing experience.

My other dilemma is this. I would also like to apply to UMKC, but their application deadline is August 1st. I know that through AMCAS, if you apply EDP you can only apply to one school. However, UMKC has a completely seperate application. Would it be bad to submit an application to here as well, or is this something that is not even possible if I apply EDP to KU? Any advice/comments are really appreciated. Thanks!

I think that when you select EDP in your AMCAS you cannot add another school at the time. If you are not accepted EDP KU will release you and you can add other schools at that time.
I think that OOS applicants can interview EDP and your stats and experience are very impressive. Plus, with your ties to KC and Kansas in general, you are in good shape. If I were you though I would find out exactly what has to happen for you to have KS residency as a student. The difference is cost has got to be worth looking into. I am pretty sure you only have to like in KS 6 months per year to maintain your residency. I digress, but I think you have a shot EDP. Does UMKC go through AMCAS? If so, I am pretty sure you cannot apply to UMKC while applying to KU.

I think that when you select EDP in your AMCAS you cannot add another school at the time. If you are not accepted EDP KU will release you and you can add other schools at that time.
I think that OOS applicants can interview EDP and your stats and experience are very impressive. Plus, with your ties to KC and Kansas in general, you are in good shape. If I were you though I would find out exactly what has to happen for you to have KS residency as a student. The difference is cost has got to be worth looking into. I am pretty sure you only have to like in KS 6 months per year to maintain your residency. I digress, but I think you have a shot EDP. Does UMKC go through AMCAS? If so, I am pretty sure you cannot apply to UMKC while applying to KU.

Thank you for the quick reply.

UMKC does not use AMCAS, so that is why I was wondering if it was possible to submit at the same time. I wouldn't mind waiting until I hear from KU about EDP app before applying to UMKC, however, UMKC's MD-only deadline is August 1st so it would be too late to apply by the time I hear back from KU about my EDP application. Kinda confusing, hope it makes sense? What do you think?

I have to respectfully disagree with julies, I of course could be wrong as I do not know that much about EDP but I think you would struggle with those stats to get into KU as an EDP because they are right at the cutoff for the recommended MCAT and gpa. Moreover, KU really does have a strong in-state preference, even with strong ties to the state/city you aren't in state. IMO I believe it would be difficult for you to get in EDP but I recommend calling admissions and asking.

I'm not sure if you have already moved or signed a lease but you would be much better off moving to the Kansas side if you both want to get into KU as well as for the tuition difference. KU is not like many other schools in that you cannot claim residency if the sole purpose of your move is for school. Also, you will be charged out of state tuition all four years of your education, even if you gain KS residency during one of your years if you do not start out as a KS resident.

As far as applying to both KU and UMKC at the same time I don't know what to tell you. My gut says that you cannot apply to UMKC if you are applying EDP to KU even though UMKC does not use AMCAS. Also, UMKC has a 6 year med program for kids out of high school, so they only accept about 15-20 1st year medical students from college if I recall correctly. Are you set on going to medical school or only going to school to either KU or UMKC? If you really want to be a doctor my advice would be to apply to more schools than just 2, but that is just my 2 cents.

Congrats, Sir. I can't wait to get started, looking forward to meeting all of you!

Good luck to those still waiting. It won't be long now, though I advise you not to freak out too much, the weather set back several of the Jan/Feb mailings by a week or so, so they may still be playing catch-up. I know the week our letters were supposed to arrive was pretty rough for me- I was sneaking out of work earlier and earlier every day to check the mail. If it weren't for Mike calling to find out the letters had been delayed and informing me I should save my anxiety for another week, I probably would have gotten fired. Ha. :)

Last edited:
I have to respectfully disagree with julies, I of course could be wrong as I do not know that much about EDP but I think you would struggle with those stats to get into KU as an EDP because they are right at the cutoff for the recommended MCAT and gpa. Moreover, KU really does have a strong in-state preference, even with strong ties to the state/city you aren't in state. IMO I believe it would be difficult for you to get in EDP but I recommend calling admissions and asking.

As far as applying to both KU and UMKC at the same time I don't know what to tell you. My gut says that you cannot apply to UMKC if you are applying EDP to KU even though UMKC does not use AMCAS. Also, UMKC has a 6 year med program for kids out of high school, so they only accept about 15-20 1st year medical students from college if I recall correctly. Are you set on going to medical school or only going to school to either KU or UMKC? If you really want to be a doctor my advice would be to apply to more schools than just 2, but that is just my 2 cents.

I guess what I forgot to mention is that I plan to start a one year MA in Bioethics at KCUMB (DO school in KC) in the fall. If a certain gpa is maintained, you are all but guaranteed an acceptance in the next years med school class. Interviews take place for the masters students in the spring, so the application for KCUMB med school class won't be in any rush. This is why I feel it would be best to apply EDP to KU. I prob won't bother with the umkc app, especially since they accept so few students. As far as living on KS side, will I be considered a resident for such a short amount of time of living there?

As far as living on KS side, will I be considered a resident for such a short amount of time of living there?

I believe they told us 1 year of non-med school related KS residency was required, but I would confirm that with admissions.

I believe they told us 1 year of non-med school related KS residency was required, but I would confirm that with admissions.

Do you know if this is one year pre-matriculation, or one year before applying?

Do you know if this is one year pre-matriculation, or one year before applying?

I'm not sure, that's definitely something you'd want to verify with admissions anyway though- the difference in tuition is not insignificant. Jason's usually pretty quick to respond to emails. Sorry I can't be more help, I was born in KS so I've never researched it in-depth.

I'm not sure if you have already moved or signed a lease but you would be much better off moving to the Kansas side if you both want to get into KU as well as for the tuition difference. KU is not like many other schools in that you cannot claim residency if the sole purpose of your move is for school. Also, you will be charged out of state tuition all four years of your education, even if you gain KS residency during one of your years if you do not start out as a KS resident.

I 100% agree that you should apply to more than one school. I know a little bit about EDP but honestly it is too hard to predict how KU is going to react. For the 2009-2010 cycle I applied EDP and did not get an interview, they took like 80% of that group. The 2010-2011 cycle I was granted an EDP interview and they only took like 56% (or something like that). You numbers plus your experience is definitely good enough for EDP, its probably going to be a residency issue. Someone else with a similar app from KS will get an interview over you.
EDP seems great and for some it works well, but I will tell you when Oct 1 comes and they say "no," it is a major scramble to get the rest of your apps out for other schools. I therefore want to change my vote, apply RD for KU but apply early early! Apply to UMKC for their MD program. You will definitely get into KCUMB, especially if you know about the school and Osteopathic medicine, which you will.

I'm not sure, that's definitely something you'd want to verify with admissions anyway though- the difference in tuition is not insignificant. Jason's usually pretty quick to respond to emails. Sorry I can't be more help, I was born in KS so I've never researched it in-depth.

Hi all,

Thank you for the info/advice. I have talked to Jason and received some very helpful information. Thought I would share incase there is anyone else in my situation. Good news is, if I live on the Kansas side, I will be considered an In-state applicant for this upcoming application cycle. As long as you list a legal Kansas address on AMCAS, they consider you an in-state applicant. For tuition purposes, I would have to live in Kansas for 12 consecutive months with employment before enrollment, and I will qualify for in-state tuition. This works out well for me, because I would have lived there for over a year before starting in the Fall of 2012 if accepted this next cycle. :xf:

As far as EDP, I probably will not go this route and apply to all Kansas City schools at the same time along with a several others.

Good luck to all and thanks again!

Did anyone else receive the email with scholarship info where you must enter your social security number to login? Please just confirm this if you have so that I will know that this isn't some phishing business. I'm a little paranoid about this kind of stuff. :caution:

Did anyone else receive the email with scholarship info where you must enter your social security number to login? Please just confirm this if you have so that I will know that this isn't some phishing business. I'm a little paranoid about this kind of stuff. :caution:

Yup, that's the one I had too. So either we both potentially get scholarships from KU or our identities stolen!

But apparently there have been some phishing emails going around the KUMC email.

Spoke with Jason this morning, they plan on mailing out letters on Monday. Everyone relax and have a great weekend watching basketball. Hopefully I will be meeting more of you in July.

I e-mailed Mr Edwards this morning. He said that letters will probably be sent out on Monday. Just thought I would share that.

Good luck everyone with the March letters tomorrow!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::luck::luck:

No letter in the mail today! Dang, looks like another restless night of sleep wondering what my future holds.

No letter in the mail today! Dang, looks like another restless night of sleep wondering what my future holds.

I was very disappointed this morning too! :(
I'll be right there stalking my mail carrier tomorrow morning.

Dear KU,
Where are our letters? Do you like to tortue us? Come on letters!!!!

My letter was mailed on a Wednesday and i received it to Lawrence on a Friday... assuming they mailed your letter yesterday, you may have to wait a little longer.

Also, the acceptance letter was only one page--- so don't panic if you see a thin envelope :) .... it took me a bit to comprehend that i got in!

Best wishes!!!!

Hey guys, congrats to everyone that has had good news and good luck to those still waiting and those that are re-applying next cycle. :luck:

I've just begun the housing search and am looking for a roommate, so if you're in the same boat, check out my housing ad.

Also, if you've been accepted and are planning on attending this year, don't forget to join the Facebook group.

good luck for those waiting on letters tomorrow :xf::luck::luck:

Status
Not open for further replies.