2011-2012 University of Arizona Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice photo. I'll have to take a stab in the dark and guess Bluegrass Festival? I'm bummed to have just missed Willy there for Blues and Brews. I went to that show a few years ago and it was AWESOME!
You got it. One of my favorite weeks of the year! I also assumed that since there were 4 slots left I would be in the AM session. I was wrong too- I'm in the PM session, and unfortunately there are zero flights from Tucson to Denver that leave after 6:30PM. Whoops... looks like I'll be staying around to sample the Tucson nightlife afterwards!

Members don't see this ad.

I emailed the admission office and they replied that we can choose. Then I called and was told I am assigned the AM group. I chose my date with only 3 slots left. So basically, it looks like it doesn't matter how many slots remain, you can get either AM or PM and you don't choose, you're assigned.

You're both so totally and obviously wrong! It's clearly the other way around, because if it weren't, I'd be wrong, and that CANNOT happen! Trust me, it's a scientific fact. :laugh:

The way I figure it, if there were 20 slots available, and you picked one, you'd be the first and thus in the AM. I picked 10/21 as well. There was one slot left when I registered, so I'm guessing PM, but I wrote the school about it for clarification. I know that appeal to authority is going to totally screw up our debate here, but whatcha gonna do?

Good luck!:luck:
well it seems your record is still untarnished and you are indeed correct...I have a PM time slot as well

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm.. I'm now starting to worry. I've been complete since mid-July as in IS resident and my email is depressingly empty. I interviewed the very first day last year too.. :(

Me too! Except for the interviewing last year.

In-state, got everything in pretty much as early as possible, 3.6/36, nothing in my email.

In-state, got everything in pretty much as early as possible, 3.6/36, nothing in my email.

Similar story, I think they are just a little disorganized because we both meet the auto-invite reqs...I think they are just coming in bunches so stay patient guys.....I was complete in the beginning of july

Looks like I was wrong. I signed up with 5 slots remaining, and I am in the PM session. I am not sure how we would know whether our day started out with 10 or 20 if there were <10 when we signed up, but either way I won't complain. In any case, good to know!

well it seems your record is still untarnished and you are indeed correct...I have a PM time slot as well

I am victorious! I'll have to bring this up during the interview. "There was this confusion about the scheduling process, and I pretty much randomly picked a position and held to it with complete intransigence, and I was right! I believe this quality alone will make me a great physician. You should let me in." :)

I emailed the admission office and they replied that we can choose. Then I called and was told I am assigned the AM group. I chose my date with only 3 slots left. So basically, it looks like it doesn't matter how many slots remain, you can get either AM or PM and you don't choose, you're assigned.

Yeah, it's a totally screwy system. There's no way to know how many slots were available on a day, so you can't determine when you're supposed to show up. Just a glitch in the webpage basically. Congrats on the invite!

on the MSAR it says the earliest acceptance notice is october but on their website it says they dont send them out til december...is the MSAR just stating the earliest any med school can start accepting students or did they start accepting students earlier last yr.

on the MSAR it says the earliest acceptance notice is october but on their website it says they dont send them out til december...is the MSAR just stating the earliest any med school can start accepting students or did they start accepting students earlier last yr.

I found a number of errors in the MSAR this year, mostly in the dates sections (some that nearly gave me a heart attack). I'd check last year's Arizona thread and see when people started posting acceptances.

I'm OOS and just got the following E-mail:

"Dear Applicant,

Thank you for your continued interest in the University of Arizona College of Medicine Tucson. We are unable to extend an interview invitation to you at this time. Your application is still under consideration and you may be invited for an interview at a later date.

We will notify you with any updates throughout the season."

At least it's not a rejection (which I'm happy about since in the "why us" essay I screwed up and wrote Phoenix instead of Tucson. Who knows maybe I'll still get an interview.

In-state, 3.6/35, submitted everything early, and I got the same hold e-mail. What the hell?!?

I'm OOS and just got the following E-mail:

"Dear Applicant,

Thank you for your continued interest in the University of Arizona College of Medicine Tucson. We are unable to extend an interview invitation to you at this time. Your application is still under consideration and you may be invited for an interview at a later date.

We will notify you with any updates throughout the season."

At least it's not a rejection (which I'm happy about since in the "why us" essay I screwed up and wrote Phoenix instead of Tucson. Who knows maybe I'll still get an interview.

IS, 33/3.7 and I got the same e-mail.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the same email...wow. In state btw.

Same on hold....IS...Hell this is where I go for undergrad....this is pretty upsetting

has anyone contacted admissions to find out whats going on?

Same here, on hold. Lol very strong app, interviews at top 20 schools, and I can't get an interview at my state school? Whaaaaat??? I thought they interviewed everybody IS past their cut off!

Same email, IS 3.85/33. It may be they haven't put up slots yet and just want to keep us informed. Still though, the anxiety rises...

I dont know, but I was at the meeting last year when Dr. Tischler said all In-Staters with a gpa above 3.0 and an MCAT of 27 or higher would be interviewed

and while I'm OOS I realy am in a similar boat as you ISrs because I'm a WWAMI applicant. ...strange

I'm going to guess they just havent created enough interview dates yet....But if thats the case(which maybe it's not), it doesn't speak highly about the administration

Same email, IS 3.85/33. It may be they haven't put up slots yet and just want to keep us informed. Still though, the anxiety rises...

That's what I was thinking. It has been stated over and over again that there is an automatic invite for in-state applicants above like 3.0/27, so I'm assuming this just means they filled up their first "batch" and are waiting to schedule the next one and decided to freak everyone out in the process.

Well I dont appreciate the freak out Arizona

Please update if you guys here anything. I heard Dr. Tischler is the head of the admissions board this year so I am sure the structure will be much different. Tx

Please update if you guys here anything. I heard Dr. Tischler is the head of the admissions board this year so I am sure the structure will be much different. Tx

But I heard the auto-invite info from the mouth of Dr. Tischler...

OOS and got the hold email. Looked through last years thread and I couldn't find anyone who received an interview after that email. Guess we will have to wait and see.

did they send holds out last year?

Did anyone (who doesn't already have an interview) not recieve the hold e-mail?

You are right. I think by AZ law they have to interview IS students with like >27mcat and >3.0gpa. I also saw similar information at a couple of pre-med clubs on campus. You should call. I submitted mid august and haven't heard anything so far.

Just for some info:

A friend of mine (who also received the hold e-mail) called and asked about it. It's not an accident/mistake/whatever. He tried to get more information but they basically just re-read the e-mail.

Doesn't seem like great news. On the other hand, it could just be their way of saying that we weren't chosen for the first wave of interview invites but are still under consideration for the coming waves. Regardless, they wouldn't give any real clarification as to what the e-mail means.

I mean they interviewed, what, over 500 in-state applicants last year? I doubt they're going to take the probably <100 people they've invited so far and just stick with them...

Same here, on hold. Lol very strong app, interviews at top 20 schools, and I can't get an interview at my state school? Whaaaaat??? I thought they interviewed everybody IS past their cut off!

Samer here In state 4.0/36... interviews at 3 different top 10 schools... 13 interview invites so far... on hold at UA lol

Samer here In state 4.0/36... interviews at 3 different top 10 schools... 13 interview invites so far... on hold at UA lol

who would have thought U of A would be our bracket buster!

This has really affected my feelings towards the school...wondering what you had to do to actually get an interview as an in-state applicant.

This has really affected my feelings towards the school...wondering what you had to do to actually get an interview as an in-state applicant.

They may be looking very closely at the "Why Arizona-Tucson" responses.

who would have thought U of A would be our bracket buster!

I know, right?

Well, realistically, UA-T was not at the top of my list so if someone who really wants to be there gets it instead, I guess thats cool.

Hopefully it will all workout...

I feel like they are. After all there were 7 essay prompts, 6 if you are an undergrad applying. I feel like Dr. Tischler and the admissions are looking at your reasons for attending the U of A. It is pretty embarrassing how far down the WL they went last year. I hope they put a lot of emphasis on the essays, I put a lot of effort into them.

Ya I really wanted to go to U of A and stay in Tucson, I'm kind of getting some bad vibes

has anyone contacted admissions to find out whats going on?

Hi guys...so I contacted Anne at admissions and she made it sound like this is part of an effort to make the admissions process more transparent. I asked whether being put on hold is equivalent to being put aside until all other apps have been reviewed but she did not seem to indicate that this was the case.

I feel like they are. After all there were 7 essay prompts, 6 if you are an undergrad applying. I feel like Dr. Tischler and the admissions are looking at your reasons for attending the U of A. It is pretty embarrassing how far down the WL they went last year. I hope they put a lot of emphasis on the essays, I put a lot of effort into them.

true it's embarrassing they had to go that far down the list...but if they only interview like 60 students there class will only be like 40 students large...they have to invite more students and cant simply screen everyone based on their secondary essays

I have a feeling they received a lot of applications this year. And in addition they got started "late in the game" as compared to a lot of other schools. I think they will just keep on sieving through the applications. I think they will hit their interview numbers from last year. Dr. Tischler is putting a lot of effort into this year's application cycle, changing the whole structure and all.

UA is a CCCCCCCombo breaker! Lol I ain't even mad, I'm just laughing at how amusing this is. MFW we all get put on hold when we clearly meet their screening criteria...

What about the language essay? Is anyone who was put on hold fluent in spanish?

UA is a CCCCCCCombo breaker! Lol I ain't even mad, I'm just laughing at how amusing this is. MFW we all get put on hold when we clearly meet their screening criteria...

Ya I'm at a loss. It looks like most of us have the applications to go elsewhere, but I would have expected some IS love

Status
Not open for further replies.