2011-2012 University of Arizona Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I highly doubt the language essay was to see if we knew spanish or not. I think it was meant to test our willingness to learn spanish, diversity, and knowledge about the healthcare system in the southwest.

Members don't see this ad.

Got the hold e-mail too. It's reassuring to know that great applicants got it as well. I'm OOS, 31/3.3 (3.9 post bac) but thought I was a great fit for the school. For those of you interviewing, how far out are your interviews? I'm wondering if they do their interviews in waves and send these e-mails out after each wave. Any AZ students out there that can clarify?

Got the hold e-mail too. It's reassuring to know that great applicants got it as well. I'm OOS, 31/3.3 (3.9 post bac) but thought I was a great fit for the school. For those of you interviewing, how far out are your interviews? I'm wondering if they do their interviews in waves and send these e-mails out after each wave. Any AZ students out there that can clarify?
I got my II a few days ago and set it up for mid-october but they had dates set up in the scheduler out til december sorry about the hold...its literally impossible to tell what each school looks for...I am sure you will get some love at other schools and that youll get an invite later on! just keep on praying!

Members don't see this ad :)
Im glad to see that im not the only IS student above the criteria that got put on hold. Im hoping that it is just a way of keeping us informed, like someone said before, since they havent responded in a long time but they need to rethink their email phrasing. I freaked out when I read it cause I actually met with several members of the Arizona committee at the beginning of the year and they really wanted me to apply. Hopefully thats still the case now.

I really think it comes down to reducing the number of people coming off the wait list. I'm not in this boat, but if I had a 36 MCAT and 3.9 GPA, theres no way I'd end up at UofA given the probability of getting into a different highly ranked school.

Do you think admissions people are thinking the same thing? "This person's stats are too high, they won't come here anyway, put em on hold".

I really think it comes down to reducing the number of people coming off the wait list. I'm not in this boat, but if I had a 36 MCAT and 3.9 GPA, theres no way I'd end up at UofA given the probability of getting into a different highly ranked school.

Do you think admissions people are thinking the same thing? "This person's stats are too high, they won't come here anyway, put em on hold".

I dont really think thats the case in this situation cause I know my stats arent that high.

This. If I was embarrassed by the amount of waitlist movement last year, the first thing I would do is stop accepting strong applicants that will go somewhere else. I'm curious as to what the stats are of people who did in fact receive offers.Very many beastly 35+ MCATs and 3.7+ GPAs?

I'm sure everyone knows "this guy" - but, my best friend applied to UofA (IS) and was rejected post-interview. His stats were outta this world. Now he's at UCSF.

IMO, they knew he wan't going to go to UofA in the first place.

If anything, to you folks with super high stats, it is almost a compliment. IE: UofA is saying thanks for thinking of us (with the hold email), but we all know you applied to Harvard, ha.

This. If I was embarrassed by the amount of waitlist movement last year, the first thing I would do is stop accepting strong applicants that will go somewhere else. I'm curious as to what the stats are of people who did in fact receive offers.Very many beastly 35+ MCATs and 3.7+ GPAs?

:mad: I fall into this category and I want to stay in Arizona. This is not the criteria that an admissions committee should be using to guess whether or not students will attend their school. I hope it isn't; I wasn't put on hold at least.

:mad: I fall into this category and I want to stay in Arizona. This is not the criteria that an admissions committee should be using to guess whether or not students will attend their school. I hope it isn't; I wasn't put on hold at least.

Did u get an auto interview at Phoenix it seems a good amount of those on hold had been given an interview invite to Phoenix...do u think they communicate so u only get 1 auto interview invite? Just wondering

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I know, I do not believe the two schools communicate with each other to deliver interview invites. I know an individual who has been invited to interview at both campuses.

From what I know, I do not believe the two schools communicate with each other to deliver interview invites. I know an individual who has been invited to interview at both campuses.

I was mainy referring to the auto invites

Ahh ok.... yeah I am unsure. It would be odd, if only the Phoenix campus was "designated" to give out the auto-invites, don't you think?

I have interviews at both campuses. I don't know if they were "auto" invites though. I was not in the first batch of Phoenix invites, but I was for Tucson.

2012 University of Arizona College of Medicine Application - Interview Hold Notification

Does this mean that I am pretty much out of the competition for getting the interview invitation from Tuscon campus?? They noted that "We are unable to extend an interview invitation to you at this time. Your application is still under consideration and you may be invited for an interview at a later date."

I feel bad though...I feel like they are lying to me that I may be invited for an interview at a later date...

What do you guys think??

I'm interviewing at Phoenix next month... Got that invite a while ago. I just wish I knew why this is happening cuz of their cut and dry criteria for interview screening. I've never seen anything shadier in admissions. Tell applicants one thing, and do another once they have our money.

2012 University of Arizona College of Medicine Application - Interview Hold Notification

Does this mean that I am pretty much out of the competition for getting the interview invitation from Tuscon campus?? They noted that "We are unable to extend an interview invitation to you at this time. Your application is still under consideration and you may be invited for an interview at a later date."

I feel bad though...I feel like they are lying to me that I may be invited for an interview at a later date...

What do you guys think??

We basically got trolled. Hard. We were flat out lied to. And to anyone saying this is all about transparency, it's not. A lot of time went into writing the hold email we all received, and they chose their words wisely. They did not say that they will be inviting us later, or that they had already filled up their interview positions. They said we didn't make the cut, and that's that. Not sure what it means to not make the cut at UA lol. 20 bucks says almost none of us get taken off the hold list.

We basically got trolled. Hard. We were flat out lied to. And to anyone saying this is all about transparency, it's not. A lot of time went into writing the hold email we all received, and they chose their words wisely. They did not say that they will be inviting us later, or that they had already filled up their interview positions. They said we didn't make the cut, and that's that. Not sure what it means to not make the cut at UA lol. 20 bucks says almost none of us get taken off the hold list.

I see. Basically, I got screened out then :( Since I was Arizona resident, I really hoped this school will help me out.

dude dont be so hard on them...SDN only represents a small portion of applicants...u dont know if EVERYONE who applied and hasnt been invited got the same email (thus referring maybe to an end of the 1st batch of interview invites) and its the same email they send to everyone it looks like not just in-state who should qualify for the auto-invite so i highly doubt they would send an email that specifically states "you will be invited in the future" all u can do is wait til the next batch of interview invites get sent out and see if someone who was on the hold gets taken off

If I was seriously put on hold because my stats are "too high" (3.6/35...???) then I will be seriously pissed. Isn't the point of a state school to find the most qualified applicants from the state's population and train them to be outstanding doctors? If they were embarrassed by everyone abandoning them for other schools then maybe they should try to find out why so many people want to go elsewhere as opposed to only interviewing people they're pretty sure won't go to any other school.

If I was seriously put on hold because my stats are "too high" (3.6/35...???) then I will be seriously pissed. Isn't the point of a state school to find the most qualified applicants from the state's population and train them to be outstanding doctors? If they were embarrassed by everyone abandoning them for other schools then maybe they should try to find out why so many people want to go elsewhere as opposed to only interviewing people they're pretty sure won't go any other school.

People with high stats received interviews. You're getting upset about SDNers' guesses about why we received the hold status -- we don't even know for sure the reason. They may be looking for something specific that we don't have.

Regardless of the reason, I'm just very upset because they've stated for the past couple years that they have this "auto-invite" policy and to see so many qualified people put on hold makes me anxious that this "something specific we don't have" will keep us from even getting an interview when, if we applied last year, it would have been guaranteed. I was born in Tucson, AZ and lived there up until going to college at ASU, and to get a hold from my hometown school when I have already interviewed at UofA-Phx is pretty frustrating.

Maybe they just aren't interviewing any Sun Devils...I know the rivalry lives on but come on!

Maybe they just aren't interviewing any Sun Devils...I know the rivalry lives on but come on!

That was my fear. We know ASU has a much better basketball squad.

Last edited:
In my opinion, you guys should feel very lucky to even have such a thing as an auto-interview at your state school. And if for that reason, you guys did not give your application a 100% here, it is your fault. However, the interview season is not over and you guys may still end up with an interview here. Just got to be patient.:luck:

In my opinion, you guys should feel very lucky to even have such a thing as an auto-interview at your state school. And if for that reason, you guys did not give your application a 100% here, it is your fault. However, the interview season is not over and you guys may still end up with an interview here. Just got to be patient.:luck:

I had no idea about this "auto-invite" stuff until well after I submitted everything. I didn't spend weeks agonizing over those secondary essays but I definitely gave thoughtful and meaningful answers for all of the questions. There doesn't seem to be any pattern among those invited vs. those put on hold.

I put a lot of time in to my U of A app even though I believed I would get the auto invite...I even had some staff at the UMC write me some excellent letters. My stats are just slightly above average for U of A...and well above the "auto" invite reqs.

And I know the High Stats thing not to be true....because they have invited some friends with 3.8+ 35+ stats IS that applied much later than me.

So this is pretty upsetting for someone to who wanted to go to school here.

U of A would be nieve to think we wouldn't apply elsewhere either....their erratic behavior today being the case in point about why we should all apply broadly

I have been rejected by some top 25's and I wasn't upset. I have been offered an interview at a top 25...but when you expect an interview because you are told you are within the auto-invite stats and you dont get one...it breeds strong negative emotions

Regardless of the reason, I'm just very upset because they've stated for the past couple years that they have this "auto-invite" policy and to see so many qualified people put on hold makes me anxious that this "something specific we don't have" will keep us from even getting an interview when, if we applied last year, it would have been guaranteed. I was born in Tucson, AZ and lived there up until going to college at ASU, and to get a hold from my hometown school when I have already interviewed at UofA-Phx is pretty frustrating.

Hey I'm a wildcat and I didnt get one

If I was seriously put on hold because my stats are "too high" (3.6/35...???) then I will be seriously pissed. Isn't the point of a state school to find the most qualified applicants from the state's population and train them to be outstanding doctors? If they were embarrassed by everyone abandoning them for other schools then maybe they should try to find out why so many people want to go elsewhere as opposed to only interviewing people they're pretty sure won't go to any other school.

This is a great point. Also shows how economically the board of regents thinks by allowing 50% OOS another upsetting point

That was my fear. We know ASU has a much better basketball squad.
lolwut.jpg

So, receiving the interview hold notification is pretty much a fact that I am screened out of the interview invitation, right? This UA-Tucson was my first choice since I am Wildcats and other factors. I feel really bad that they will likely not give me an interview at a later date. I wish I can believe their words...

So, receiving the interview hold notification is pretty much a fact that I am screened out of the interview invitation, right? This UA-Tucson was my first choice since I am Wildcats and other factors. I feel really bad that they will likely not give me an interview at a later date. I wish I can believe their words...

We dont know this...it's all speculation
But your chances are not 100% invite like I previously believed mine were.
my guess is like 40-50% but again this is speculation

i say dont get into the SDN neuroticism...it didn't say you were screened out...dont give up hope!

SDN is still a good source of info...I dont think we are screened out, but they obviously dont like us too much...or at least something about our apps

UNLESS, there email is coming because they are disorganized and are just letting us know we were not in the first batch sent out

SDN is still a good source of info...I dont think we are screened out, but they obviously dont like us too much...or at least something about our apps

UNLESS, there email is coming because they are disorganized and are just letting us know we were not in the first batch sent out
I wasnt saying it wasnt a source of good info...SDN has provided me with wonderful info...but you have to admit many including me have become more neurotic from being on SDN lol

I wasnt saying it wasnt a source of good info...SDN has provided me with wonderful info...but you have to admit many including me have become more neurotic from being on SDN lol

I agree, the students on SDN are very neurotic...but neurosis is not necessarily a bad thing. The students who are neurotic about med school tend to be more in touch with what the admissions process is like and really understand what the statistics say.

So just because we are being neurotic doesn't mean our fears and complaints are unfounded.

We might be over analyzing this, but this definitely was not a good sign.

I agree, the students on SDN are very neurotic...but neurosis is not necessarily a bad thing. The students who are neurotic about med school tend to be more in touch with what the admissions process is like and really understand what the statistics say.

So just because we are being neurotic doesn't mean our fears and complaints are unfounded.

We might be over analyzing this, but this definitely was not a good sign.

Yea, I feel you. From my perspective, on-hold notification means I am lacking something they want to look at at the first place. That is why they said they will further review if possible. So, yea...I don't know what to say or do about this on-hold unless I am a lucky guy to get a later interview...but I doubt it.

Yea, I feel you. From my perspective, on-hold notification means I am lacking something they want to look at at the first place. That is why they said they will further review if possible. So, yea...I don't know what to say or do about this on-hold unless I am a lucky guy to get a later interview...but I doubt it.

Ditto. Too bad. I thought I was a good fit and competitive.

Just got back from work and found out that the UA-Tucson thread exploded today.
To all those who have been put on hold, do not worry, you have many other great schools left.
I just wanted to clarify the "on-hold" status since there seems to be a little debate going on. If you're on hold, it means that they have decided that you are not qualified for an interview among the current pool of applicants and will put your application on the side. As the cycle goes on, they will receive more applications and review them and invite more people to interviews. Eventually, if they realize that they did not invite enough people for interviews, they will go back to the "hold" applicants and invite the qualified "hold" applicants by re-reviewing them.
Some schools will do the re-review more often (from what I've heard, Loyola does) and some schools will just not re-review you until the end of the cycle (most schools do this, I think. Oakland University did not offer a single interview from the "hold applicants last year, as the UA-Tucson I believe).

So if you have been put on hold, just forget about this school and focus on your other schools. Keeping your mind off UA-Tucson will make your life easier and if the interview invite comes later, it will be a pleasant surprise :)

I feel like many people put on hold will get interviews at a later date. I know SDN is not representative of the entire applicant pool, but it seems like a bunch of people got put on hold and not that many received interview invites. Unless the school has done a complete 180 and is now going to just randomly pick a small group of people to interview from IS and OOS and go against all of their previous policies, a significant portion of people (especially IS) will receive invites. We just might have to wait a while. I just don't believe that most of the people on hold will stay there and never get an invite. They interviewed 89% of IS applicants last year.

I feel like many people put on hold will get interviews at a later date. I know SDN is not representative of the entire applicant pool, but it seems like a bunch of people got put on hold and not that many received interview invites. Unless the school has done a complete 180 and is now going to just randomly pick a small group of people to interview from IS and OOS and go against all of their previous policies, a significant portion of people (especially IS) will receive invites. We just might have to wait a while. I just don't believe that most of the people on hold will stay there and never get an invite. They interviewed 89% of IS applicants last year.
I think youll see a reduction of the percentage of IS applicants being interviewed since the regents have voted to INC the OOS matriculants to 50% of the incoming class...least thats what I think will happen

I think youll see a reduction of the percentage of IS applicants being interviewed since the regents have voted to INC the OOS matriculants to 50% of the incoming class...least thats what I think will happen

Yeah...I heard that UA-Tucson is now changing the policy that they will accept 50% OOS and 50% IS students...I guess the state of Arizona needs more money from getting more OOS...Sad

Yeah...I heard that UA-Tucson is now changing the policy that they will accept 50% OOS and 50% IS students...I guess the state of Arizona needs more money from getting more OOS...Sad

I have no idea why they are accepting more OOS, but they purposely wouldn't raise the % of OOS acceptances for financial purposes. The difference would be less than a million dollars, and think how much the university gets from the state endowment and alumni donations.

Status
Not open for further replies.