2025-2026 Arizona - Phoenix

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I wrote this in last year's chat, but still feel the same about all my previous comments. I hope this helps someone and gives folks some hope! As always, our school wants students that would stay and practice in Arizona. The stronger you can demonstrate your ties to AZ and highlighting the populations you would like to continue serving should be easy aspects to highlight on in letter of intents. If you have a family, highlight that you would love to raise your family here. If anyone has questions feel free to message me!

"Current student and I would say a good amount of classmates got accepted in June off the WL (If I had to say a number I know of 5 people getting of the WL in June and this doesn't account for individuals that also received an offer and declined it, and others I just dont know about). I think one of the last acceptance I heard about, was a student getting an offer in the third week of June in a past cycle.

UACOMP aims for students with high stats, so there is a decent amount of fluctuation as the school is competing with the med schools that accept students with similar stats, which does cause a lot of movement on our WL (this can always change year to year but this is my general perception). While the school has grown a lot over the past years and I believe it will become a power house one day, its hard to compete with the ivys and UCs, who can provide better financial aid packages or just have a stronger name recognition (even though our in state tuition is pretty cheap compared to a decent amount of schools). I do want to highlight that our classmates match into pretty amazing programs and there is a diverse distribution of matching across specialities, even with not having some speciality home programs (They keep telling us they are close to starting many of the programs we dont have yet in the next couple years, but doubt current students will benefit)

For students who genuinely consider UACOMP their top choice, you really have to emphasize on why specifically you want to come here in your letter of intent or even a follow up letter. I know this is the same old info you probably hear, but its so true. Talk about the impact you aspire to make as a student here, talk about the CHIP programs you want to be apart of (and why), what COD do you want to be apart of (and why), what Student gov positions do you see yourself applying for, If you're interested in primary or rural medicine, talk about the new three year program or the LICs. Talk about what faculty would you like to work with and why, and emphasize what experiences have you had with current or previous students (if you have ANY connections to the school, even at COM-T, reach out to them for guidance NOW and if they dont know how, make them find out, how they can help you). For my peers from underrepresented backgrounds or who are first-generation, especially those still waiting on their first acceptance or who consider UACOMP their top choice, I know you may feel overwhelmed/scared to be this persistent about reaching out for help, but you have to utilize the network you have built and earned to get this far. Its not too late and networking is everything, especially in medical school. You are in the end game now and are so close to your dreams. You have to give it your all.

Additionally, If you're an AZ resident or went to undergrad in phoenix emphasize the underrepresented communities you have worked with throughout your premed years and why those experiences were so important to you. If you see yourself wanting to practice in AZ and raise a family emphasize that in the letter (esp for my peeps with a family or non-trads), so many graduates are leaving out of state and UACOMP (the state in general) is really trying to keep students here for residency here (Like many states there is a major physician shortage). While the school has recently been really focused with high stats, they do review applications holistically in order to ensure students from underrepresented backgrounds, students with many gap years, and/or especially those with strong ties to the state are also prioritized even if you have lower stats. Ensure you have explained your situation as well as for any set backs and why that experience has further prepared you for medical school. While you might have shared all of the things I have highlighted already, share it again if you are serious about coming here (maybe add a new a perspective just to change it up lol). I might sound like a broken record, but give the person on the waitlist committee who's fighting for you one more reason to show the rest of the team why you belong here and why you'd be a perfect fit for our school.

My last note is altruism and servant leadership are key aspects of a successful UACOM-P student. While I aligned with these values myself prior to med school, I was kind of curious to see how these values would actually translate into the culture at the school. It was very quickly once I was surrounded by my amazing classmates who are truly there to support each other at a moments notice personally or academically did I truly understand what servant leadership meant. I do believe this also translate to a majority of the teaching faculty and especially the staff who manage all the day to day task who keep our school running. As stated earlier, the school is constantly striving to grow and evolve. They seek students who will not only be strong medical students but also bring diverse perspectives to continuously improve the experience for future classes and better serve the local community. If any of this resonates with you, I hope what I shared helps you either get off the waitlist or make the decision to come here, and I truly hope to see you as a classmate in a few months."
 
Last edited:
Also would like to know
Include anything you want that will truly represent why you want to come to UACOM-P. Highlight how these activities will prepare for your our program specifically or compliment future opportunities such as rural rotations, community service, or research. Look at the Student IG insta pages or even the UACOMP insta page for inspiration as the website doesn't provide as much of this info. Questions that could be helpful to answer: Would your current positions make you a good candidate for Student government (there is an IG page for SG) or help with curriculum development? Reach out to current students if you know any to help you!
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Current MS1 at UACOM-P here. Happy to answer any questions you may have. If there’s an existing GroupMe, more than happy to join that as well. Good luck, y’all are close to the finish line!
Hi! I couldn't make it to second look and have a few questions for current students-
1) is preclinical pass/fail? what about clinical? and if not pass fail, then how are they graded? I heard that AOA was being introduced, do you know when this will go into effect?
2) is there dedicated step 1 and step 2 study periods and if so how much time for each?
3) are the exams in house or NBME style?
4) does the school give access to any 3rd party resources (uworld etc) or do students buy those on their own?
Thank you in advance!
 
Hi! I couldn't make it to second look and have a few questions for current students-
1) is preclinical pass/fail? what about clinical? and if not pass fail, then how are they graded? I heard that AOA was being introduced, do you know when this will go into effect?
2) is there dedicated step 1 and step 2 study periods and if so how much time for each?
3) are the exams in house or NBME style?
4) does the school give access to any 3rd party resources (uworld etc) or do students buy those on their own?
Thank you in advance!
Wait who said they’re introducing AOA? I heard it’s purely pass/fail
 
Hi! I couldn't make it to second look and have a few questions for current students-
1) is preclinical pass/fail? what about clinical? and if not pass fail, then how are they graded? I heard that AOA was being introduced, do you know when this will go into effect?
2) is there dedicated step 1 and step 2 study periods and if so how much time for each?
3) are the exams in house or NBME style?
4) does the school give access to any 3rd party resources (uworld etc) or do students buy those on their own?
Thank you in advance!
3.The exams are in house. Which is one of the cons of this school but I was told they have Anki decks and other resources by upperclassmen that are specific to those exams. 70% to pass exams.
4. The schools will give us Uworld (included with tuition). Other resources I am not sure about specifics but I plan to connect with student development before classes start.
 
does anyone know if there's an admitted students groupchat or facebook? i couldnt make the second look day so im not in that one
 
3.The exams are in house. Which is one of the cons of this school but I was told they have Anki decks and other resources by upperclassmen that are specific to those exams. 70% to pass exams.
4. The schools will give us Uworld (included with tuition). Other resources I am not sure about specifics but I plan to connect with student development before classes start.
Thank you. Would love to hear from some current students as well about the other questions if able!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
3.The exams are in house. Which is one of the cons of this school but I was told they have Anki decks and other resources by upperclassmen that are specific to those exams. 70% to pass exams.
3.The exams are in house. Which is one of the cons of this school but I was told they have Anki decks and other resources by upperclassmen that are specific to those exams. 70% to pass exams.
4. The schools will give us Uworld (included with tuition). Other resources I am not sure about specifics but I plan to connect with student development before classes

4. The schools will give us Uworld (included with tuition). Other resources I am not sure about specifics but I plan to connect with student development before classes
Sorry I’m replying on my phone so can’t edit or see everything well. 1. Yes preclinical are PF and 2. It’s about 8 weeks total for step one dedicated and 4 weeks for step 2 dedicated. Step 2 is less because the intensity of clerkship and shelf exams should already have you prepared for step with the caveat that you probably completed your first pass by the start of dedicated.
 
AOA is starting with the current MS3 class where they are primarily looking at clerkship grades but then will account for research and leadership stuff as well. So that means indirectly AOA consideration can start in your first year as you build up your resume. That doesn’t mean just to consume your life with research at the start though. Focus on being a good medical student in your first semester, build good connections, and set up opportunities so when second semester starts you have built the bases to get things moving.
 
I happened to receive a 40k merit scholarship - it sounds like their scholarship committee is new this year so they likely have more funds available than years prior. In the financial aid packet it said they would send out most of the scholarships in May so there could be more to come
New info to me but that’s cool congrats!
 
does anyone know if there's an admitted students groupchat or facebook? i couldnt make the second look day so im not in that one
Admission will or has already created a FB that will then have a discord link for folks to engage with each other. I can check in with them to see the status
 
I happened to receive a 40k merit scholarship - it sounds like their scholarship committee is new this year so they likely have more funds available than years prior. In the financial aid packet it said they would send out most of the scholarships in May so there could be more to come
Was that 40k all four years? I have a full-tuition scholarship at another med school, so I would prob only come to UA PHX if they come close to matching that. COM PHX was my top choice med school when I applied 😂
 
I don't see?

1778026392515.png
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone else who’s been accepted not heard anything from financial aid? I was accepted in Feb and plan to enroll on April 30, starting to get worried bc I need to apply for loans etc…
 
How may days they gave for CTE deadline from the acceptance?
Someone had mentioned 5 days, but how can they only give us 5 days to commit if we don’t immediately get information about financial aid?
 
Someone had mentioned 5 days, but how can they only give us 5 days to commit if we don’t immediately get information about financial aid?
Just FYI, some students who were accepted months ago still haven’t got financial aid so I wouldn’t expect to get yours coming off the waitlist . But maybe they are faster with it for waitlist people, who knows 🥲
 
Quick question for anyone who’s been pulled off a waitlist. Is it possible to select a plan to enroll rather than CTE? Trying to figure out what my options are.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad