2011-2012 University of Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Essay 1: Please limit your response to 250-500 words

If you are not a full-time student during this application cycle, in particular at any time between September 2011 and May 2012, please detail your current and planned activities below.

Essay 2: Please limit your response to 250-500 words

At the core of our profession are attributes sometimes called the three C's; Competence (clinical excellence), Caring (a genuine desire to help others or "other centeredness") and Character (personal integrity and honesty). In order to grow in these areas, the best practitioners are able to reflect upon who they are as individuals (self-assessment) and allow these insights to shape how they develop as physicians. The relationships we develop with patients and colleagues are among the most rewarding aspects of being a physician and provide the theatre in which the three C's are both learned and practiced. We therefore have two short essay questions designed to help you explore these important topics. The first deals with self-assessment, and the second deals with the experiences of two UF medical students facing the loss of a patient and its impact on them as young doctors.

Read the following description of introversion and extraversion from the Myers-Briggs foundation website. Most people, while seeing themselves to one degree or another in each description, are inclined towards either being introverted or extroverted. Both groups make wonderful physicians, but each personality type has some inherent strengths and weaknesses which need to be appreciated as individuals develop into practicing physicians. Do you see yourself as more of an extravert or an introvert and how will this impact how you learn to communicate with patients and colleagues?

Extraversion (E)
I like getting my energy from active involvement in events and having a lot of different activities. I'm excited when I'm around people and I like to energize other people. I like moving into action and making things happen. I generally feel at home in the world. I often understand a problem better when I can talk out loud about it and hear what others have to say.

The following statements generally apply to me:

I am seen as "outgoing" or as a "people person."
I feel comfortable in groups and like working in them.
I have a wide range of friends and know lots of people.
I sometimes jump too quickly into an activity and don't allow enough time to think it over.
Before I start a project, I sometimes forget to stop and get clear on what I want to do and why.

Introversion (I)
I like getting my energy from dealing with the ideas, pictures, memories, and reactions that are inside my head, in my inner world. I often prefer doing things alone or with one or two people I feel comfortable with. I take time to reflect so that I have a clear idea of what I'll be doing when I decide to act. Ideas are almost solid things for me. Sometimes I like the idea of something better than the real thing.

The following statements generally apply to me:

I am seen as "reflective" or "reserved."
I feel comfortable being alone and like things I can do on my own.
I prefer to know just a few people well.
I sometimes spend too much time reflecting and don't move into action quickly enough.
I sometimes forget to check with the outside world to see if my ideas really fit the experience.

Essay 3: Please limit your response to 250-500 words

Among the most poignant but challenging experiences for a physician surround caring for patients at the end of life. Read the 2 attached essays (attached file, UFCOM_Essay-3.pdf), written recently by students at the University of Florida College of Medicine. In the first, the student describes the experience of caring for a patient with cancer at the end of life and the second reflects upon a "code" which the student observed. Both were changed and grew through the experience. Pick one, and describe the skills of the author that you notice and think are helpful, then describe how these characteristics manifest in the kind of physician that you want to be.

Here are the students' essays to be used for prompt #3:

The Quickness of Death
I wonder if they can hear the footsteps? Starting off as a whisper, far away in the dark, but then amplifying into a roaring cacophony, drowning out the prayers and the get-well soons. Then there is silence. It was over almost as fast as it began, with heads now being scratched and decisions being second-guessed, we stand with incredulity written indelibly across our foreheads. The family reads our faces, sentence after sentence punctuated by teardrops until they have to look away. Words of comfort and explanations are caught in our throats and come out awkwardly, misaligned, but sincere. There is no longer the need for science or medicine, but for something less synthetic and more human. The doctor reaches out her hand to the now widow and their hands meet like strangers who were somehow looking for each other on a crowded street. The embrace is uncomfortable at first, but quickly becomes familiar and rather reassuring. The footsteps were quick and they never heard them coming. The suffering is over as his soul soars past the balloons lining the sealing through the cold walls and into the infinite sky. I look up and wonder how this could happen so fast. We need warnings, reminders, and alarms; second notices, memos, and last chances. The unexpected is not welcome around here in the company of facts, figures, and statistics. We often hear the question asked by patients, "How much longer do I have?", insinuating that the end is near…within reach. I think I always imagined the way people died as a slow and indolent process similar to watching sand passing through an hourglass grain by grain. But it can be a tidal wave, knocking you down and holding you under despite desperate attempts to resurface. The weights some patient's carry can be oh so heavy and we just cannot tell when their bodies will buckle under the tremendous forces of disease. This is a piece of knowledge you won't find in the thickest of textbooks or in the latest literature. This is the knowledge of experience and it is unfortunately something one must stumble onto often unexpectedly. As I look back on these experiences that somehow found me I can't help but feel blessed. In that I mean to have the opportunity to help and guide patients and families through this unfamiliar transition in life. The footsteps still echo down the halls and the patients will pop their heads out of their rooms to see if the footsteps are coming to see them. This wont change, but I certainly have.

Why do we do what we do?
What makes us get up before the sun and spend our days in cramped work rooms choosing between different antibiotics, between a stress test and a cath., between greasy pizza and granola bars? It's not money, recognition or glamour. We are human and we are apt to become frustrated with non-compliant patients, inefficient hospitals, and our litigious society. We are often overworked and almost always exhausted. We are vulnerable to forget why we chose to undertake this challenge in the first place. So, I would like to tell you about my friend Jim.
I met Jim the first day of my medicine rotation. He was in the MICU after developing a small bowel obstruction the night before. He had slept even less than I had and was obviously in pain, but when I introduced myself, Jim gave me a big smile and a warm handshake. He told me his medical history; he told me about his chronic leukemia that had transformed into something scarier, about his liver infiltrates, and about the intense pain in his belly that had developed just 12 hours before. He told me he was ready to fight it all.
In the 13 short days I knew him, I learned much more about his story. He had two daughters, (one who shared my name), who had changed their wedding dates so their father could attend. I looked through pictures of his family with him and discussed favorite vacations, memories of his kids, and how he wished he were at the beach. He told me that he was happy his room had a view of the football stadium, which launched a long conversation about the Gators and Tim Tebow's Heisman win. I discussed wedding plans with his fiancé and held her hand when she found me outside his room to tell me how scared she was about losing him.
Only a few years older than my own father, Jim simultaneously treated me as a member of his medical team and as one of his children. He trusted me with his care while still feeling a need to protect me. When he told me that he was finished fighting, that he wanted no more treatment, he did so with compassion and sensitivity and care. He was certain about his decision, but he wanted to make sure I could handle it. He was an amazing man.
In the last few days of his life, I got the privilege of meeting his family. I cried with his fiancé and his daughters. I hugged his closest friends and explained how we would make him comfortable. I also got the privilege of watching the physicians around me. As, one by one, we stopped his chemotherapy, his intravenous feedings, his antibiotics, as we withdrew the medical and pharmacological technology prolonging his life, we never lapsed in our care. Instead, we spent long hours talking with his family, assessing his pain, taking care of him for as long as he was our patient. When he asked us to pray with him, we joined hands and prayed. We provided him the opportunity to die well.
The day before Jim died, his fiancé asked me to stay with him for a few minutes while she took a break. She had not left the hospital in days; she was tired and emotionally broken, and when she asked me to sit by him so he wouldn't be alone, I rejoiced at her request. He was lethargic and only minimally responsive, and for the majority of the 15 minutes I spent alone with him at his bedside, he slept. I cried openly and unabashedly for this man I had known for less than 2 weeks. I cried for his kids and his fiancé and for myself. I cried because every once in a while, Jim would squeeze my hand and shoot me that same wonderful, warm smile. He was an amazing man.
We do what we do because it is a privilege. I had the privilege of being welcomed into a man's life when he was most vulnerable. I had the privilege of joining his family in prayer when they were most desperate. And I had the privilege of being part of a team of physicians who cared for their patient when others would have said they had nothing left to contribute. I hope to never forget how lucky I am.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi,

Does anybody know what should be included on a peer letter?

Thanks!

There is a prompt on their website that clarifies things a little more...the website seems to be down right now. I think they want your peer to elaborate on characteristics that would make you a good physician, and highlight other things that may not have been included in your PS and Work/Activities section of the AMCAS. I'm also interested in learning more information about the peer letter, maybe a current UF COM student could chime in?

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a prompt on their website that clarifies things a little more...the website seems to be down right now. I think they want your peer to elaborate on characteristics that would make you a good physician, and highlight other things that may not have been included in your PS and Work/Activities section of the AMCAS. I'm also interested in learning more information about the peer letter, maybe a current UF COM student could chime in?

From what I remember, I just had a friend of mine write about whatever the prompt said (I remember it being fairly generic, what qualities does this person have that would make them a good physician, etc.). It did come up one of my interviews though, so take it seriously!

Just came here to say the earliest hello possible to my future classmates, looking forward to meeting everyone in a year or so. I didn't go through the regular admission process, but I'll try to spread the wisdom I hear from upperclassman and the COM staff, along with answering questions about Gainesvile when I can.

Good luck to everyone!

Yeah, they probably get a slight preference. There are a lot of UF grads in our class (~70). Dr. Gessner made the point, however, that UFCOM receives approximately 700 applicants from UF. So, UF grads bat about 10 percent, which is pretty good when you consider roughly 3 percent of all applicants are ultimately accepted.

As far as the peer letter goes, zeppelin125 is correct. I personally chose one of my best friends to write my peer letter. He is an engineering student and he is a good writer (that's an obvious quality your peer letter writer should have :rolleyes:). I just told him to follow the basic prompt and talk about characteristics that might not be included in the rest of my application. I also gave him a copy of my personal statement in order to avoid a tremendous amount of redundancy.

The peer letter didn't come up as a topic of conversation in either of my interviews; however, it would probably be a good idea to have a reasonable answer as to why you chose that individual to write for you if it does come up.

Best of luck!

I have a Q for those who graduated from UF undergrad. Did your transcript include CLEP scores?

I don't see mine on my unofficial transcript and I definitely don't remember what I got on my language CLEP...

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a 34/3.4sGPA/3.5cGPA, and Leila Amiri told me straight up I would NOT be offered an interview :eek: because the average for students who matriculated at UF from my alma mater was 31-32/3.65.

While I appreciate her honesty (I am being serious here. The admissions process is cloaked in secrecy, and I appreciate the heads up), I am really hoping there is someone else who sits on the admissions committee as well and sees the potential in me as an applicant :xf:.

Good luck to everybody who hasn't had their dreams crushed already :laugh:

UF > FSU just for the fact they participate in the online AMCAS LOR system. I'm not applying to FSU because of the extra hassle of hunting down all of my professors to ensure they mail the letter to the school. Not a big loss imo.

UF > FSU just for the fact they participate in the online AMCAS LOR system. I'm not applying to FSU because of the extra hassle of hunting down all of my professors to ensure they mail the letter to the school. Not a big loss imo.
:confused:
"Can I send my letters of recommendation to your school before my AMCAS application has been sent?

No. Because the Florida State University College of Medicine participates in the AMCAS Letter Service program, all letters must be submitted electronically through AMCAS."

I have a 34/3.4sGPA/3.5cGPA, and Leila Amiri told me straight up I would NOT be offered an interview :eek: because the average for students who matriculated at UF from my alma mater was 31-32/3.65.

While I appreciate her honesty (I am being serious here. The admissions process is cloaked in secrecy, and I appreciate the heads up), I am really hoping there is someone else who sits on the admissions committee as well and sees the potential in me as an applicant :xf:.

Good luck to everybody who hasn't had their dreams crushed already :laugh:

That's hogwash. Your GPA isn't really all that low, and your MCAT is ~93rd percentile. If you definitely won't get an interview I might as well withdraw my app now. I've personally talked to an admissions member that said the GPA there is inflated because most of the students come from schools within the state.

That's hogwash. Your GPA isn't really all that low, and your MCAT is ~93rd percentile. If you definitely won't get an interview I might as well withdraw my app now. I've personally talked to an admissions member that said the GPA there is inflated because most of the students come from schools within the state.

Yeah, I feel like you have a shot. People say things inaccurately about admissions frequently. A UF medical student told me that her best friend was once told by UF prehealth advisors to not even apply to medical school because she won't get in. Yet, that same best friend was accepted to UF's COM with that class. Go for it.

I agree with our colleagues: APPLY!!

I went to UF for undergrad and had the exact same thing happen to me. I won't name names, but I was told by a certain UF pre-health advisor (with a tongue ring, mind you) that I wasn't even competitive for Caribbean schools. I promptly said that I had had enough, kindly thanked him for his time, walked out and never stepped foot in his/any other advisor's office again. What a huge waste of his/my time. And to think I was supposed to take him seriously...

Yeah, I feel like you have a shot. People say things inaccurately about admissions frequently. A UF medical student told me that her best friend was once told by UF prehealth advisors to not even apply to medical school because she won't get in. Yet, that same best friend was accepted to UF's COM with that class. Go for it.

I went to UF for undergrad and had the exact same thing happen to me. I won't name names, but I was told by a certain UF pre-health advisor (with a tongue ring, mind you) that I wasn't even competitive for Caribbean schools. I promptly said that I had had enough, kindly thanked him for his time, walked out and never stepped foot in his/any other advisor's office again. What a huge waste of his/my time. And to think I was supposed to take him seriously...

Also not impressed with the advisors here.

Also not impressed with the advisors here.

You guys make me glad I left Florida for undergrad :p. Seriously though, does anyone have a rough time-line for the screening process? Maybe a current UF student can chime in?

The dean of admissions recently retired so I'd expect the process to take a bit longer this year, but not by much?

Secondary Information for the 2011-2012 Cycle

Our process has changed since last year! We have a new online application that we hope to have ready by the middle of July, 2011. You will be able to go into our new system, check your status, and input any updates to your application once it has been completed. Please do not send our office any updates to your AMCAS application, there will be ample room for them in the new system.

http://admissions.med.ufl.edu/

So now there are two character letters required? :mad:

I guess so.... They must have changed it in the past few days, because when I looked at the website in May they said they needed only ONE peer letter. I wish I would have known this ahead of time :(

I guess so.... They must have changed it in the past few days, because when I looked at the website in May they said they needed only ONE peer letter. I wish I would have known this ahead of time :(

Yea me too. I checked it before I left Nashville. Had I known I would've handled it when I was at school...

it's not saying we need 2 peer letters, just 2 character letters....so it's the same as most of the Fl schools.

You've always needed 2 character letters. 1 from a friend and 1 from a research mentor/ volunteer coordinator/ doctor you shadowed, etc. lol.

@sunkissedg8tr: use your research prof. as it holds more weight. especially since uf is big on research.

it's not saying we need 2 peer letters, just 2 character letters....so it's the same as most of the Fl schools.

Hey Whiz. Yea, I know it doesn't have to be another peer letter. I have plenty of letters though, and for one in particular I could've asked them to write it more geared towards a character reference (I know this professor very well).

Are you guys just asking a professor for the second one?

Hey Whiz. Yea, I know it doesn't have to be another peer letter. I have plenty of letters though, and for one in particular I could've asked them to write it more geared towards a character reference (I know this professor very well).

Are you guys just asking a professor for the second one?

Since we already have to have 2 from professors I'm going to use my second character letter either from the Medical trip in Costa Rica that I did (as I shadowed a lot of docs) or from the department I researched for.

You've always needed 2 character letters. 1 from a friend and 1 from a research mentor/ volunteer coordinator/ doctor you shadowed, etc. lol.

@sunkissedg8tr: use your research prof. as it holds more weight. especially since uf is big on research.

Thanks! I think you're right. I'll prob use the medical trip one for FSU since they are bigger on that sort of thing.

Just received secondary invite!! But it appears that the secondary won't be open until sometime in July...

Same! Do they screen here?

Yep, according to their website:

"Personal statements, extracurricular activities, academic performance and MCAT scores are reviewed and verified by AMCAS. Competitive applicants are then sent materials for formal (secondary) application."

Yep, according to their website:

"Personal statements, extracurricular activities, academic performance and MCAT scores are reviewed and verified by AMCAS. Competitive applicants are then sent materials for formal (secondary) application."

Haha, should have searched that myself. Thanks, congratulations as well!

Just received secondary invite!! But it appears that the secondary won't be open until sometime in July...

Got it too! I'm not sure what you mean though. I already logged on to the secondary and am filling it out now...

Got it too! I'm not sure what you mean though. I already logged on to the secondary and am filling it out now...

As far as I know, the one that we can fill out now is basically used for all UF professional schools and is used to determine FL residency. There is another secondary that is specific to the med school (with essays and stuff like that), and that is the one that we will get in July.

is there a place online to look up voter registration numbers?

-edit-
Got it.
Just call your supervisor of elections office and they'll give it to you.

Last edited:
As far as I know, the one that we can fill out now is basically used for all UF professional schools and is used to determine FL residency. There is another secondary that is specific to the med school (with essays and stuff like that), and that is the one that we will get in July.
+1

Besides, the link to Florida Residency Information for Students gives you this:
Page Not Found - Error 404

Oops... this is embarassing. We cant seem to find what you were looking for. Please use our search box up top to find what you were looking for.

I am a rising senior in undergrad (c/o 2012) and am applying to enroll at UF med in Aug 2012. I have no idea what I will be doing between the time of graduation and enrollment, so I don't really know how to approach the "Indicate how you spent or plan to spend your time from graduation until your anticipated enrollment at UF. List these activities (employment, travel, military, etc.) in chronological order, most recent first." part of the secondary.

Is this for non-trad students only? Have people been filling in anticipated activities? Any ideas would be appreciated :)

I am a rising senior in undergrad (c/o 2012) and am applying to enroll at UF med in Aug 2012. I have no idea what I will be doing between the time of graduation and enrollment, so I don't really know how to approach the "Indicate how you spent or plan to spend your time from graduation until your anticipated enrollment at UF. List these activities (employment, travel, military, etc.) in chronological order, most recent first." part of the secondary.

Is this for non-trad students only? Have people been filling in anticipated activities? Any ideas would be appreciated :)

Don't put anything. That's what I'm doing. It's probably for people that graduated this year or non-trads.

Status
Not open for further replies.