2011-2012 University of South Alabama Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. I was hoping there would be some movement today. Maybe next week...

Members don't see this ad.

hey has anybody tried calling to get more information from mark scott on where is the waitlist is at this moment ? I called last week and spoke with peggy, and she said to call back in a few days to a couple weeks....

I got the call from Mark Scott on the morning of the 16th. Currently 3rd tier at UAB.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the call from Mark Scott this morning around 10:30. Good luck to everyone still waiting...keep your spirits up, its still early.

To those already in, I will see you in August!

Those who got acceptance calls from Mr. Scott, would you mind posting your MCAT/GPA?

I am sure im not the only curious one :oops:

Those who got acceptance calls from Mr. Scott, would you mind posting your MCAT/GPA?

Well I'm a reapplicant so I'm not sure how helpful my stats will be, but I had a 27 MCAT, 3.54 undergrad GPA, and 3.88 graduate GPA (MS in Bio).

I am also a re-applicant and I have a pretty unusual resume, since I am 33 and have an MBA, 7 years work experience, degrees in finance and biology, etc., but I had a 30 on the MCAT and 3.60 GPA sciences and overall.

I hope that helps a little...

Accepted
waiting15 (5/15)
jdmd2008 (5/15)
DrHKitty (5/16)
drswagga's friend (5/17)
Cbay18 (5/22)
shock003 (6/4)

Alternate List
AU012
drswagga
gatorade848
OrangeJuice88
7nut12
A123S
tigeri
futureUSACOMdr
ssmith40
DrHKitty's friend #1
DrHKitty's friend #2
shock003's friend
coop87

Well I'm a reapplicant so I'm not sure how helpful my stats will be, but I had a 27 MCAT, 3.54 undergrad GPA, and 3.88 graduate GPA (MS in Bio).

Congratulations. Did you finish your graduate degree in Bio and does it help in the admission process?

Congratulations. Did you finish your graduate degree in Bio and does it help in the admission process?
Thanks! I finished my degree in May. You actually have to finish any degree you start if you put it on your application. South even makes you get a letter from your department head stating that he knows that you're applying, is okay with it, and what your expected graduation date is. They don't kid around... And I definitely believe getting a MS helped. The stronger your biology background, the greater the chances you'll succeed in med school-- and I think the schools know that. I have a few friends in med school at UAB, and I would know more about a subject than them because my classes were able to go into greater detail about it. I definitely recommend it.

As a reapplicant, I had a 32Q, undergrad 3.5 and post-grad 4.0 with no additional degree

Members don't see this ad :)
So I was accepted to South on May 16th yet haven't received any info from them yet (other than the acceptance letter). Has anyone else received anything like what immunizations or computers we need or where to send transcripts?

So I was accepted to South on May 16th yet haven't received any info from them yet (other than the acceptance letter). Has anyone else received anything like what immunizations or computers we need or where to send transcripts?

I was accepted in the Fall, and all I have received are computer specs...nothing on immunizations or registration. I emailed about this and they said they are delayed this year getting materials out mostly because of the curriculum change. As for final transcripts, they had me send mine directly to the admissions office of USACOM with degree(s) posted.

Last edited:
I was accepted in the Fall, and all I have received are computer specs...nothing on immunizations or registration. I emailed about this and they said they are delayed this year getting materials out mostly because of the curriculum change. As for final transcripts, they had me send mine directly to the admissions office of USACOM with degree(s) posted.
Awesome-- thanks so much! I wish they'd go ahead and send out the immunizations at least. The thought of having a ton of shots at one time makes me cringe...

Accepted
waiting15 (5/15)
jdmd2008 (5/15)
DrHKitty (5/16)(middle UAB)
drswagga's friend (5/17)(Accepted UAB)
Cbay18 (5/22)(lower UAB)
shock003 (6/4)(lower UAB)

Alternate List
AU012 (middle UAB)
drswagga (lower UAB)
gatorade848 (middle UAB)
OrangeJuice88 (not wl UAB)
7nut12 (lower UAB)
A123S (middle UAB)
tigeri (Accepteed UAB)
futureUSACOMdr
ssmith40 (middle UAB)
DrHKitty's friend #1 (Accepted UAB)
DrHKitty's friend #2 (Accepted UAB)
shock003's friend
coop87

For those who have been accepted at UAB/have friends accepted, will you be declining your USA acceptance/alternate spot?

:banana::banana::banana::banana:

just got the call... the family vacation i am going on tomorrow just got ten times better lol

Accepted
waiting15 (5/15)
jdmd2008 (5/15)
Cbay18 (5/22)(lower UAB)
gatorade848 (6/14) (Accepted UAB 6/15)

Alternate List
AU012 (middle UAB)
drswagga (lower UAB)
7nut12 (lower UAB)
A123S (middle UAB)
tigeri (Accepteed UAB)
futureUSACOMdr
ssmith40 (middle UAB)
shock003's friend
coop87

I just thought I'd mention that anyone accepted around the same time as me (5/16) probably should've received an email about activating their JAG account and laptop specifications by now. I've been worried about deadlines and stuff so I finally emailed the office last night and was just told that my email was accidentally sent to the wrong email address. It would have been nice to know that I should have received something by now so I thought I'd share with the rest of you.......

Are you going to wait and see how things turn out at UAB, or do you plan on attending South regardless of what happens?

I haven't completely decided, but I will probably still wait it out. I have waited this long, so what's a few more weeks, right??

Accepted
waiting15 (5/15)
jdmd2008 (5/15)
Cbay18 (5/22)(lower UAB)
gatorade848 (6/14) (Accepted UAB 6/15)
A123S (middle UAB) (6/21)
AU012 (middle UAB) (6/22)

Alternate List
drswagga (lower UAB)
7nut12 (lower UAB)
tigeri (Accepteed UAB)
futureUSACOMdr
ssmith40 (middle UAB)
shock003's friend
coop87

Those accepted would you mind posting your MCAT and GPA scores?

Thanks guys!

32 MCAT and both gpa at 3.5. Majored in chemical engineering.

32 MCAT and both gpa at 3.5. Majored in chemical engineering.

Congratulations! Another extraordinary candidate. In your opinion why do you think you were waitlisted? (both you and gatorade). Should have been in within few weeks of interview.

Low gpa at time of application. (just above 3.4 and I brought it up senior year.)
Turned in application in later rather than early (mid Oct)
Could have improved personal statement and interview prep
No Research

I just got the letter from uab. will decline my place at usa tonight through email... they do accept that through emails right?

I just got the letter from uab. will decline my place at usa tonight through email... they do accept that through emails right?

Congrats! I'll see you July 30...and yes, you can email south to decline

Looks like a non-SDNer may have got gatorade's spot. It's been too quiet lately...

I had a 30MCAT and 3.67 GPA got into south on may 15th.

Anyone have any updates or called recently???

I believe it is for reasons like this that Jeopardy has a time limit... This waiting game is beyond brutal.

Accepted today. Good luck to everyone.

Reapplicant, 30/under3.55/grad3.78

Status
Not open for further replies.