2011-2012 University of South Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hahahaha! I know, what a relief! :laugh: I am a woman, by the way :D. Are you a current student?

HAHAHA sorry I guess I should not have assumed! No I also got accepted this year so I will be in your class.:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone from the 2/28 interview date hear back yet? It will have been 3 weeks out as of today...

Did anybody from the march 13th interview hear back?

Does USF (Select in particular) give our Merit money? If so, when??

Anyone from the 2/28 interview date hear back yet? It will have been 3 weeks out as of today...

I interviewed 2/28 and no news here either. I was taking that as a bad sign, but maybe not?

I interviewed 2/28 and no news here either. I was taking that as a bad sign, but maybe not?

If you have heard nothing, then it is not a bad sign. But you are likely going to have to wait until after May 15th for any good news.

Hey guys,

I am currently a 4th year at USF, and graduating soon! I will be away for a year to do my preliminary year in internal medicine before returning to USF in 2013 to pursue an ophthalmology residency. I want to rent out my 2 BR/ 2 BA luxury condo located at oxford place in Tampa Palms to 2 incoming students. Its about 5 miles from USF College of Medicine. Rent is $1100 for the unit (negotiable). You have access to 2 Fitness Centers, 18 hole Golf Course, Pool/jacuzzi, basketball courts, tennis courts, etc. Please visit the website for more information at
http://www.oxfordplacetampapalms.com/

http://www.oxfordplacetampapalms.com/

Please email me at [email protected] if you are interested! This is a great deal. Congrats, and if you guys have any med school related questions, dont hesitate to contact me.

- Sunny

does anyone know when we're suppose to get our financial aid packages???

also, is there a facebook group?? i can't find it... anyone have the link?

Just got my wait-list letter. Anyone know if it's possible to find out where you are on the list??

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know when we're suppose to get our financial aid packages???

also, is there a facebook group?? i can't find it... anyone have the link?

Should be some time soon. It will likely be primarily and mostly loans. There are almost no grants/scholarships.

I think the link to the facebook page is somewhere in the middle of this thread.

Today was the last interview day of this year's cycle.

If you have questions as to why you were not offered an interview, and what you could do to improve your application, you should consider contacting the admissions office AFTER May 15th.

If you have interviewed and are awaiting your result, please have patience. You will hear if you have been accepted or wait listed, or you won't hear anything at all. If you hear *nothing* then please do not panic. This is not as good as gaining an outright acceptance, but does not mean you have been rejected, or strictly speaking, wait listed. You will hear something after May 15th.

Today was the last interview day of this year's cycle.

If you have questions as to why you were not offered an interview, and what you could do to improve your application, you should consider contacting the admissions office AFTER May 15th.

If you have interviewed and are awaiting your result, please have patience. You will hear if you have been accepted or wait listed, or you won't hear anything at all. If you hear *nothing* then please do not panic. This is not as good as gaining an outright acceptance, but does not mean you have been rejected, or strictly speaking, wait listed. You will hear something after May 15th.
CORE is finished offering interviews or finished interviewing? I know SELECT still has interviews...

Unless I specifically specify otherwise, I only speak to the core program.

Hi there! I was just accepted to the SELECT program earlier this week, and I couldn't be more thrilled! I know the topic of housing has been touched on previously in this thread, but specifically I'm wondering how feasible living on my own would be. I know I'm going to be in a ton of debt already just from tuition alone, but there is nothing I want more than to live in an apartment I can call my own. I promise I'm not anti-social or anything, it's just a part of "growing up" I think I'm ready for, and something I really want to experience. Does anyone know of any *reasonably* priced areas I could look for just a 1 bedroom apartment? Also, is this an unheard of type of request? I don't want to seem standoff-ish and I really do like other people, I just want to opportunity to have a place to go home to where it's just me.

Hi there! I was just accepted to the SELECT program earlier this week, and I couldn't be more thrilled! I know the topic of housing has been touched on previously in this thread, but specifically I'm wondering how feasible living on my own would be. I know I'm going to be in a ton of debt already just from tuition alone, but there is nothing I want more than to live in an apartment I can call my own. I promise I'm not anti-social or anything, it's just a part of "growing up" I think I'm ready for, and something I really want to experience. Does anyone know of any *reasonably* priced areas I could look for just a 1 bedroom apartment? Also, is this an unheard of type of request? I don't want to seem standoff-ish and I really do like other people, I just want to opportunity to have a place to go home to where it's just me.

Lots of people live on their own. It's more economical in north Tampa than south. If you go on the student affairs website, then look for the COMPACT link, there is a housing guide that will give you a good place to start.

FWIW I've had a 1/1 in Tampa Palms (about ten minutes from campus) for the past four years and my rent has been around $800. Two bedrooms here are about $1100, which is why having a roommate can be very appealing, financially.

Hey Everyone! I interviewed at USF 3/13 and haven't heard anything back yet. Should I be worried (i.e. expecting a letter instead of a call)? Has anyone else that interviewed on that day heard back yet? The wait is seriously killing me!

Hey Everyone! I interviewed at USF 3/13 and haven't heard anything back yet. Should I be worried (i.e. expecting a letter instead of a call)? Has anyone else that interviewed on that day heard back yet? The wait is seriously killing me!

If you have heard nothing, then it is not a bad sign. But you are likely going to have to wait until after May 15th for any good news.

See above

Does this school give out merit money or not... and if so, when??

Too late for me to be interested anymore. I even received an email stating if we had financial aid questions, to contact Michelle Williamson, and when I did, she was rude and unhelpful, and directed me back to the person who emailed us to contact her!!!

Sorry, I really wanted to love USF, but they made it not even possible. I'm withdrawing and hope someone else gets better and more timely information. USF really needs to get it together.

Too late for me to be interested anymore. I even received an email stating if we had financial aid questions, to contact Michelle Williamson, and when I did, she was rude and unhelpful, and directed me back to the person who emailed us to contact her!!!

Sorry, I really wanted to love USF, but they made it not even possible. I'm withdrawing and hope someone else gets better and more timely information. USF really needs to get it together.

Good luck to you then.

Everyone needs to also remember Florida has no money (and I mean that for every school in the state) so unless the school is a fundraising powerhouse, most of the students are taking out loans. And having done so personally, it's doable on the otherwise as far as paying them back.

Also try to remember that there are hundreds of you contacting a single person who is already responsible for hundreds of matriculated students.

Has anyone recieved a financial aid package at all yet?

Yes. According to what was mentioned at second look, some financial aid packages have already been released and they can be viewed on your financial aid oasis account. The financial aid office also said awards will be sent out by April 27th for people who submitted their financial aid applications by April 1st.

do they usually offer acceptances via phone call or email?

I believe acceptances are usually given via phone call. An acceptance packet should also be sent to you if that's the case.

OOS withdrawing my acceptance. This one a tough one, but the finances were impossible.
Good luck to those on the wait-list USF is an awesome place!

Does anyone know if USF has a true pass/fail system for the 1st 2 years? I know 3rd and 4th years is pass with honors, pass with commendation, and pass.

Does anyone know if USF has a true pass/fail system for the 1st 2 years? I know 3rd and 4th years is pass with honors, pass with commendation, and pass.

First two years are pass/fail. Currently third year is honors/pass/fail. Fourth year grades don't mean anything.

First two years are pass/fail. Currently third year is honors/pass/fail. Fourth year grades don't mean anything.

I have been confused about this and it may be a recent change. So is pass/fail really simply P/F for the first two years or is it Honors, Pass With Commendation, Pass, and Fail?

I have been confused about this and it may be a recent change. So is pass/fail really simply P/F for the first two years or is it Honors, Pass With Commendation, Pass, and Fail?

Year 1&2 are true P/F beginning with this first year class. Pass is defined as two standard deviations from the exam mean.

Year 3 is currently H/P/F (although there has been significant student backlash regarding the lack of "PC")

Year 4 is same as year three, but as there is no class rank, and 4th year has never been factored into rank, it's more of an ego boost :)

Year 1&2 are true P/F beginning with this first year class. Pass is defined as two standard deviations from the exam mean.

Year 3 is currently H/P/F (although there has been significant student backlash regarding the lack of "PC")

Year 4 is same as year three, but as there is no class rank, and 4th year has never been factored into rank, it's more of an ego boost :)

That is a bit of a change. Of course 4th year never does count for much after transcripts for ERAS are done....still computing GPA and class ranks for first 3 years?

That is a bit of a change. Of course 4th year never does count for much after transcripts for ERAS are done....still computing GPA and class ranks for first 3 years?

No class rank anymore either.

any new news regarding acceptances and WL? I interviewed in March and the wait is killing me!

any new news regarding acceptances and WL? I interviewed in March and the wait is killing me!

You will be waiting until well after May 15th - don't be surprised if you don't hear anything until mid June.

Thanks CanHasNaps! But A got the phone call this morning!!! Definitely attending in the fall and can't wait! I just wanted to say "thank you" for all the information and time you put into answering our questions and keeping us all updated. Really appreciate it! =)

Turned down my acceptance this afternoon. I hope this makes someone's day when they get the call.

Thanks CanHasNaps! But A got the phone call this morning!!! Definitely attending in the fall and can't wait! I just wanted to say "thank you" for all the information and time you put into answering our questions and keeping us all updated. Really appreciate it! =)

Congrats! And you're welcome

Yup, we have a pass/fail first and second year. Certain things have specific percentage needed to pass but they are very rare (Doctoring exams twice a year -- online/open note). The exams and practical are pass/fail and the way the pass line is determined is taking the mean and subtracting two standard deviations from that number. So, I think it works out to 2-3 people failing? I'm horrible with statistics.

Not sure how third or fourth year work because I'm in a program separated from the CORE students during that time.

Got the acceptance phone call this morning! So excited!

Hey all. It has been very quiet on here and I was just wondering if anyone has gotten off the waitlist or if there has been any movement at all? Thanks

Hey all. It has been very quiet on here and I was just wondering if anyone has gotten off the waitlist or if there has been any movement at all? Thanks
Came off the waitlist early June. Interviewed 3/20. Haven't seen much movement since. Give them a call and check your status. At this point, they may be able to tell you something.

Status
Not open for further replies.