2024-2025 South Florida (Morsani)

Started by wysdoc
Tags Tags
mcom
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

They should be making an official CO 2029 discord rn. We got the invite for that in late May and just used an unofficial
Do you have any insight into things like in state MCAT avg vs oos? When do interviews conclude? Is there a holistic review or is it truly more MCAT driven? Given that USF is ranked by US news as tier 2 in both primary care and research, does the school value ppl w future plans in primary care? Is the student body collaborative and community oriented? Thanks in advance.
 
Do you have any insight into things like in state MCAT avg vs oos? When do interviews conclude? Is there a holistic review or is it truly more MCAT driven? Given that USF is ranked by US news as tier 2 in both primary care and research, does the school value ppl w future plans in primary care? Is the student body collaborative and community oriented? Thanks in advance.
I shared the MCAT averages above. See comment #547
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They must be the chosen one. Any stats on how many instate seats for the school
Our class size is 130 and we have like 79 IS people (usf website says 61% of our class)
Do you have any insight into things like in state MCAT avg vs oos? When do interviews conclude? Is there a holistic review or is it truly more MCAT driven? Given that USF is ranked by US news as tier 2 in both primary care and research, does the school value ppl w future plans in primary care? Is the student body collaborative and community oriented? Thanks in advance.
No clue when interviews finish. I don't talk to admin at all so idk how much they push to get people who want to go into primary care, but they do put a lot of emphasis on how many of their students matched into primary care so they probably are looking for that to some degree.

Student body is super collaborative for sure. People are out here posting their own anki decks and study guides for the lectures, idk how they find the time for that but they do. I'm not sure what exactly you mean by community oriented, but a lot of people volunteer pretty regularly at TBSM, Bridge clinic, Red Crescent clinic, etc

Do they actually enforce this? This is probably the dumbest, most anal thing I’ve seen a school do
Yes and yes. Luckily I haven't rly had issues with admin generally but this is a very dumb rule that they do enforce
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do they actually enforce this? This is probably the dumbest, most anal thing I’ve seen a school do
Wanted to bump this comment to see if any current students have experience with the laptop requirements (and if we can just ignore them) - "software incompatibility" seems like a silly reason for me to have to swap out my 2-year-old Mac, especially since rosetta allows for software compatibility between legacy programs and the ARM chips.
 
Curious of those who participated in the info session yesterday…how many have already interviewed? Interview is upcoming? Any already have a decision?
 
If you're accepted and esp if you haven't committed yet you should email admissions and ask for scholarships and stuff, they prolly won't give it by default
USF does this thing where they prefer not to release scholarships until after commitment for most students lol
 
Wanted to bump this comment to see if any current students have experience with the laptop requirements (and if we can just ignore them) - "software incompatibility" seems like a silly reason for me to have to swap out my 2-year-old Mac, especially since rosetta allows for software compatibility between legacy programs and the ARM chips.
Yeah I’m a current M1 and they had us show our receipt of purchase at the start of the year to prove we bought it within the window. I had to buy a completely new laptop which sucked. I don’t think they were super strict about the actual ARM/tech requirements though, more just about the date of purchase.
 
Yeah I’m a current M[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]]] and they had us show our receipt of purchase at the start of the year to prove we bought it within the window. I had to buy a completely new laptop which sucked. I don’t think they were super strict about the actual ARM/tech requirements though, more just about the date of purchase.

really.... very childish and micro managing the MD students as kids..
 
does USF only accept letters of intent and not interest? and does anyone know from experience how much of a difference that tends to make with actually coming off the WL?
 
does USF only accept letters of intent and not interest? and does anyone know from experience how much of a difference that tends to make with actually coming off the WL?
I sent a letter of interest (did not explicitly state i would absolutely matriculate if accepted) and included some updates in my application. I emailed it to the office of admissions and they said it was added to my file. unfortunately i have no idea how much of a difference it makes with the WL, but i think it’s worth a shot especially if you have additional updates
 
I sent a letter of interest (did not explicitly state i would absolutely matriculate if accepted) and included some updates in my application. I emailed it to the office of admissions and they said it was added to my file. unfortunately i have no idea how much of a difference it makes with the WL, but i think it’s worth a shot especially if you have additional updates
thank you will do this for sure!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
does USF only accept letters of intent and not interest? and does anyone know from experience how much of a difference that tends to make with actually coming off the WL?
I remember during my interview the faculty member I spoke to definitely did make it seem like they put a decent amount of weight on the letter of intent. For letter of interest I’m sure it wouldn’t hurt and if anything would help.
 
For those of you who have spoken with Morsani students or are current students, how are the clerkships and general culture surrounding them? TGH seems like a great place to rotate at, but was curious if there have been reports of feeling like a small fish in a big pond and having to compete for attention/good letters from physicians there/attendings/etc?
 
Discord, damn--that's fancy haha. I think it might be a good idea to start looking for roommates and finding a good apartment and price. If anyone is in the same boat, feel free to DM me and we can chat and see if we might be a good fit. I'm a guy btw. I'll post something a bit later about my roommate preferences.
 
Last edited:
Discord, damn--that's fancy haha. I think it might be a good idea to start looking for roommates and finding a good apartment and price. If anyone is in the same boat, feel free to DM me and we can chat and see if we might be a good fit. I'm a guy btw. I'll post something a bit later about my roommate preferences.
there is a facebook group for the class of 2029 in the canvas pre-matriculation course. I saw someone was already trying to sublease a place. that may be a good place to find roommates. If I dont get off my in state schools waitlist ill be in the same boat lol
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just out of curiosity, how many people in here with an A intend to matriculate? I'm trying to get an idea of how much waitlist movement there's going to be this year.
I might be wrong but I dont see anyone instate with an acceptance in this thread. So I hope we will hear from them soon
 
I might be wrong but I dont see anyone instate with an acceptance in this thread. So I hope we will hear from them soon
I’m instate with an A. At second look a couple weeks ago, it may have been 2/5 of the accepted students were instate. I don’t know exactly, and this number may be high since it was an event in Florida.
 
I’m instate with an A. At second look a couple weeks ago, it may have been 2/5 of the accepted students were instate. I don’t know exactly, and this number may be high since it was an event in Florida.
I meant in this thread. Ok now that you said this, I have lost hope. About how many there at second look?