2011-2012 University of Washington Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IS gpa>3.7 MCAT>34

Rejected pre-interview a week or so ago.

Pretty devastating this early on from my top choice. Luckily I have a couple interviews elsewhere to ease the pain. I was hoping for a different response, especially after shadowing and doing 100s of hours of research at UW. They sent a nice email letting me know what they said my application was lacking, all of which I felt I have addressed since graduation from undergrad. I replied with some explanation and am awaiting a response - still clinging to a sliver of hope :).

So sorry to see this! You've got great stats and good luck with your interviews.

Members don't see this ad.

IS gpa>3.7 MCAT>34

Rejected pre-interview a week or so ago.

Pretty devastating this early on from my top choice. Luckily I have a couple interviews elsewhere to ease the pain. I was hoping for a different response, especially after shadowing and doing 100s of hours of research at UW. They sent a nice email letting me know what they said my application was lacking, all of which I felt I have addressed since graduation from undergrad. I replied with some explanation and am awaiting a response - still clinging to a sliver of hope :).

Wow, this really makes me nervous as another in-state Washingtonian. I'm curious as to why they didn't even give you an interview with those stats and being in-state. Let us know what they tell you!

Does anyone have any idea of what placed "highly on the hold list" means? Does it mean that if someone refuses an interview, I get invited? Or are they basically asking me for more stuff/updates to help them decide to "get me over the edge" and interivew?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any idea of what placed "highly on the hold list" means? Does it mean that if someone refuses an interview, I get invited? Or are they basically asking me for more stuff/updates to help them decide to "get me over the edge" and interivew?

When were you complete and are you an out of region candidate?

I'm OOR and I was just complete today....never seen a school write Congratulations! for being complete on a secondary haha....

When were you complete and are you an out of region candidate?

I'm OOR and I was just complete today....never seen a school write Congratulations! for being complete on a secondary haha....

Im out of state and I guess I was complete sometime end of July - beginning of August.

The email says they can't interview me now but I am highly placed on the hold list and that they will review my application again during the next committee meeting. How often do they have these committee meetings?

Im out of state and I guess I was complete sometime end of July - beginning of August.

The email says they can't interview me now but I am highly placed on the hold list and that they will review my application again during the next committee meeting. How often do they have these committee meetings?

No idea other than that it'd take "maybe a month or more" to review my application for competitiveness of an interview based on what the e-mail I received said.

I applied mid July and never even received a secondary application. I know they have no problem rejecting candidates, so I am a little confused why I have never heard from them. Could they possibly be taking this long to decide whether to grant a secondary invite?

Does anyone know when UW starts sending out notifications for in-state interviews? And whether the notifications are by email or status update?

Thanks in advance.

I applied mid July and never even received a secondary application. I know they have no problem rejecting candidates, so I am a little confused why I have never heard from them. Could they possibly be taking this long to decide whether to grant a secondary invite?

I am in the same boat. I received the preliminary e-mail on August 8th, and nothing since then. I am also hoping that no news is good news for this school. Are you planning on calling or e-mailing Admissions about your status? I was thinking about it, but didn't want to come off as a nuisance since I am sure they are quite busy with other stuff. If others have had a positive experience with contacting them, then maybe I will put together a letter of interest, update, and inquiry about status all into one letter/ e-mail.

Based on past application cycles the interviews for in-state applicants should start coming out by email around next week. Good luck!

Does anyone know when UW starts sending out notifications for in-state interviews? And whether the notifications are by email or status update?

Thanks in advance.

I am in the same boat. I received the preliminary e-mail on August 8th, and nothing since then. I am also hoping that no news is good news for this school. Are you planning on calling or e-mailing Admissions about your status? I was thinking about it, but didn't want to come off as a nuisance since I am sure they are quite busy with other stuff. If others have had a positive experience with contacting them, then maybe I will put together a letter of interest, update, and inquiry about status all into one letter/ e-mail.

It's funny how we're applying to the same schools from one corner of the country to another haha....anyways, to give you some insight, I got the preliminary e-mail on 7/25, passed the screening on 8/18, complete 9/6, and now waiting to see if I'm competitive enough for an interview. I think unless you're from WWAMI or applying MD/PHD/MSTP, the only way you're getting a secondary is if you have a ton of experience working with the medically underserved so if you were going to write a letter or update, go that route. Good luck...it's a brutal screening process for OOR!

It's funny how we're applying to the same schools from one corner of the country to another haha....anyways, to give you some insight, I got the preliminary e-mail on 7/25, passed the screening on 8/18, complete 9/6, and now waiting to see if I'm competitive enough for an interview. I think unless you're from WWAMI or applying MD/PHD/MSTP, the only way you're getting a secondary is if you have a ton of experience working with the medically underserved so if you were going to write a letter or update, go that route. Good luck...it's a brutal screening process for OOR!

Thanks so much for sharing your timeline and advice. I will start putting together an update letter, and pray for the best. :luck:

Hey everybody, I'm currently an MS1 at the Wyoming site and would be happy to try to answer any questions about the process or the school for you. Good luck and keep your head up, app season suuuuuuuucks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seems like there hasn't been a whole lot of noise from the UW admissions.

Applications are stressful, so to get away from that whole bit I've been going to concerts and seeing new bands. What are y'all doing for fun (besides applications and work/school of course) ?

IS gpa>3.7 MCAT>34

They sent a nice email letting me know what they said my application was lacking, all of which I felt I have addressed since graduation from undergrad. I replied with some explanation and am awaiting a response - still clinging to a sliver of hope :).

may I ask what they said your app was lacking?

Yeah, essentially 2 paragraphs about a couple issues. More experience in the world at large seeing how others live, work, and experience healthcare (spent 3 years abroad non-clinical, know 3 languages). More opportunities to reflect on how my life experiences compare with others (not sure what this means). Additional exposure to the practice of medicine (valid point - i've shadowed only about 100 hours in 3 specialties). A better understanding of healthcare delivery in the U.S. (wasn't really addressed in the secondary... can't I show this understanding or lack thereof face to face?).

Like I said, some points seemed valid while some were hazy. They get so many great applicants I'm not bent out of shape about it. Good luck to the rest of you.

Interview invite!!!! They scheduled me for second week of october. Complete 8/22 IS

So excited!!

Interview invite!! Second week in Oct. as well. So frickin excited!! :D

Yeah, essentially 2 paragraphs about a couple issues. More experience in the world at large seeing how others live, work, and experience healthcare (spent 3 years abroad non-clinical, know 3 languages). More opportunities to reflect on how my life experiences compare with others (not sure what this means). Additional exposure to the practice of medicine (valid point - i've shadowed only about 100 hours in 3 specialties). A better understanding of healthcare delivery in the U.S. (wasn't really addressed in the secondary... can't I show this understanding or lack thereof face to face?).

Like I said, some points seemed valid while some were hazy. They get so many great applicants I'm not bent out of shape about it. Good luck to the rest of you.

I'm indignant for you.

Interview invite!!!! They scheduled me for second week of october. Complete 8/22 IS

So excited!!

Gahhhh. I'm IS complete on August 17th.. no word :(

Gahhhh. I'm IS complete on August 17th.. no word :(

I wouldn't worry about it... it sounds like they're just barely starting to roll out interview invites and I doubt it's any specific order right now.

I got the exact same email after my rejection last year, but the general specifics they address made more sense because I had the interview. Since you received other interviews I wouldn't worry too much, because it sounds like you are a fantastic applicant. UW is really big about primary care and underserved populations, even for instate. If you end up reapplying I would work towards obtaining these types of experiences. Thanks for sharing your experience and wishing you best of luck in the rest of the cycle!

Complete here finally. WA resident. Hoping for the best. Good luck everyone

Does anyone know how UW gives out interviews? (because its been really quiet here since the first wave) Is it on a weekly basis?

Did all of you received an email to apply to the TRUST program after receiving a secondary invite? Or is the admissions specifically sends this email to students based on their primary application?

WOOOOOO interview invite for second week of october! SO EXCITED:)

instate 3.75, 31

So I was given some third hand information that getting an early interview slot with UW is a good thing because they give those spaces to the people that they really want to "recruit."
I was a little skeptical when I heard this, as I am with most third hand information that I've never heard before. But it did make me curious. Has anyone else heard anything like that?

I'd like to think that's correct :rolleyes:

Oh wishful thinking...

omg...omg...interview invite!!! Very OOS/OOR, average MCAT & GPA, complete early in cycle. After several recent rejection, this came as a total surprise. Good luck everyone!

omg...omg...interview invite!!! Very OOS/OOR, average MCAT & GPA, complete early in cycle. After several recent rejection, this came as a total surprise. Good luck everyone!

Congrats!!! May I ask when they scheduled you for?

When did you exactly get the complete notice? I'm another OOR that somehow got through the initial screen and was complete in the beginning of September

When did you exactly get the complete notice? I'm another OOR that somehow got through the initial screen and was complete in the beginning of September

I was complete more than a month before you, so your file might not have been reviewed yet. Just be patient and hopefully good things will come :)

OOS-CA Applicant. Got a secondary invite. Is it as uncommon as this thread explains?

I was complete more than a month before you, so your file might not have been reviewed yet. Just be patient and hopefully good things will come :)

Nah, I'm not anxious at all about it. It was miraculous enough to be an OOR and get past the primary screen. So I'm pretty much treating it like a Hail Mary/playing with house money type of thing.

UCSF rejection: 8:09 pm
UW interview: 8:15 pm

I'll take it.

For everyone who got an interview could you please and graciously post your stats (mcat, gpa, extra curriculars) I would greatly appreciate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.