-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2012-2013 Columbia University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
hey yall, quick question. i submitted an update/loi thru the online system -- should I also email it to dr. nicholas/admissions (noting that it has been uploaded), or is that overkill? thanks!
The brochure they gave us at the interview stated that if we were to send any thank you letters to our interviewers, we should also send a copy through the portal. I followed this same philosophy with my letter to Dean Nicholas. I typed a copy and submitted it, as well as, I hand wrote a letter and sent it to him. I don't think this is overkill for an LOI. If it was just an update, I would only send it through the portal. That's just my take on it.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Or they could be home with their families for the 3 day weekend 😉
Oh mmmcdowe, don't be such a dream-killer. 😉
I suppose it's better than them having round table, looking at my application and saying, "Seriously, who decided to interview this kid?"

...Ruh roh. *Gets bigger spoon for ice cream*
tell me about it. I'm hearing from 5 schools before March 15
tell me about it. I'm hearing from 5 schools before March 15
+1. 5 more decisions to go in the next month. God speed to us both.
.
Last edited:
Hey guys...
Is it weird that I already feel close to you other sdn-ers, as we have struggled and commiserated through this application process, more than I can with non sdn-er friends? hahaha...😳
(don't worry, already expecting the awkward cricket sounds)
I really wish you all the best though in the following first few weeks of March. It's been an exciting run. 😀
Is it weird that I already feel close to you other sdn-ers, as we have struggled and commiserated through this application process, more than I can with non sdn-er friends? hahaha...😳
(don't worry, already expecting the awkward cricket sounds)
I really wish you all the best though in the following first few weeks of March. It's been an exciting run. 😀
Hey guys...
Is it weird that I already feel close to you other sdn-ers, as we have struggled and commiserated through this application process, more than I can with non sdn-er friends? hahaha...😳
(don't worry, already expecting the awkward cricket sounds)
I really wish you all the best though in the following first few weeks of March. It's been an exciting run. 😀
SDN solidarity, guys! Best of luck to us all!
Omg Narie, so spot on. I get all the same you'll be fine business and I want to say NO! You all understand this. My girlfriend is applying this year and as she's telling me I'll get in, I'm just like oh you wait until next February and I'm telling YOU it's all fine!
I like to think of our current state as Schrodinger's Columbia Acceptance. Let's learn to appreciate that. 😛
I like to think of our current state as Schrodinger's Columbia Acceptance. Let's learn to appreciate that. 😛
Also, maybe I'm being neurotic, but did anyone get an email in response to their update letter?
I sent in two updates. Both times I've gotten an email response about a day later thanking me for sending in the update information.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I sent in an update about two or three weeks ago and never got a response at all. Oh well, I hope they got it...
For some reason I have a bad feeling about next week :/
It also depends, I think, where you send in your update. If it's a letter of recommendation, it's sent to the ps e-mail, and I called in to confirm its receipt, and for things sent to the portal, I always got a response back.
I also wouldn't take too much to heart, because they're probably updating a ton a files right now. I'm sure if you don't get a response, it's not an indication of anything. 🙂
Yeah. I'm pretty sure were all super paranoid. And honestly, if the last four or five months have taught me anything it's that there is really nothing for us to read into with regard to communications with P&S. As mmmcdowe said a while back, the variety of Columbia letters has been the bane of sdn for years. At least I'm pretty sure he said that.
.
Last edited:
Just got an email from P&S saying decision come out soon!!
May or may not have thrown up a little bit when I saw the sender email....So nervous!
They emailed you to tell you that decisions were coming out soon?
Just got an email from P&S saying decision come out soon!!
May or may not have thrown up a little bit when I saw the sender email....So nervous!
Me too!
It just asks that we make sure P&S is on our e-mail list, and that we can log into the portal. Just received it as well.
.
Last edited:
i heard a rumor that receiving this correspondence is actually super indicative of your p&s decision, just like the rest of the emails that have been sent.
:troll:
I heard a rumor that receiving this correspondence is actually super indicative of your P&S decision, just like the rest of the emails that have been sent.
:troll:
Wait, what? haha
not that you're wrong about this, but haven't we learned that the rest of the e-mails were not indicative of much? And also, since there's no personalization or otherwise in this e-mail, I feel like it's sent to everyone to just give people a heads up?
😕
I heard a rumor that receiving this correspondence is actually super indicative of your P&S decision, just like the rest of the emails that have been sent.
:troll:
Mine was actually specialized and included how amazing of a person I am. Oh wait, nope... that's not true.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Mine was actually specialized and included how amazing of a person I am. Oh wait, nope... that's not true.
when I read the first part of this, I was like 😡
I mean, just kidding, I was super happy for you.
Let's get super neurotic and compare the stats of those who received the email and those who did not. This way we can calculate some algorithm to ensure we know before the decisions who will be accepted!!!!!!!!!👍
Anyone?
Can we please NOT do that? lol
I would like to think that stats are only a small part of the picture (my idealistic, and nonsensical mindset so I don't let myself feel discouraged) haha!..
Wait, what? haha
not that you're wrong about this, but haven't we learned that the rest of the e-mails were not indicative of much? And also, since there's no personalization or otherwise in this e-mail, I feel like it's sent to everyone to just give people a heads up?
😕
when I read the first part of this, I was like 😡
I mean, just kidding, I was super happy for you.
![]()
Can we please NOT do that? lol
I would like to think that stats are only a small part of the picture (my idealistic, and nonsensical mindset so I don't let myself feel discouraged) haha!..
Your sarcasm detector may need a little tweaking 😛
Your sarcasm detector may need a little tweaking 😛
I mean, acknowledged. lol
🙁
Wait, what? haha
not that you're wrong about this, but haven't we learned that the rest of the e-mails were not indicative of much? And also, since there's no personalization or otherwise in this e-mail, I feel like it's sent to everyone to just give people a heads up?
😕
Ahahahaha we are all so on edge it's hilarious.
![]()
Ahahahaha we are all so on edge it's hilarious.
heehee
what can I say? I am more sincere, than sarcastic. 🙄
.
Last edited:
After so many posts about how nothing is indicative of your status, I thought people would quickly pick up on my sarcasm and troll sign.
Sigh, it's been a long year.
No personalization, no correspondence, no meaning. They're just being like Penn and sending warning emails to desensitize us to getting med school emails.
Edit: my signature hearts were missing from this stressful post.
😍 😍 😍
That's better.
No you're right. That was my bad. lol mi scusi
who else nearly fainted when they saw [email protected] at the top of their mailbox?
has columbia sent ANY rejections??? I will be in NY for 2 other interviews and really really really would prefer if columbia would tell me before i book flights and stuff.. cause I think if I do get invited after the fact I will have to forego unless they are willing to do skype or something..
I believe all decisions come out in March, but one of the mods here and a student of Columbia has stated that interviews from now on are on a case by case basis. So pretty much all of the interviews are done with the exception of a few special people. (I think these include those that have requested a second interview because they thought the first one was horrible).
Sorry if this doesn't address your question at all.
Sorry if this doesn't address your question at all.
who else nearly fainted when they saw [email protected] at the top of their mailbox?
My heart nearly dropped. lol
who else nearly fainted when they saw [email protected] at the top of their mailbox?
I'm at work and I did a little AHHHHHhhhhhhh..... nope. Thought it was my rejection email (which will likely come on March 1).
mmmcdowe
Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
I believe all decisions come out in March, but one of the mods here and a student of Columbia has stated that interviews from now on are on a case by case basis. So pretty much all of the interviews are done with the exception of a few special people. (I think these include those that have requested a second interview because they thought the first one was horrible).
Sorry if this doesn't address your question at all.
there were two today, so the trickle continues. However, if anyone has concerns about interview scheduling it doesnt hurt to send an in the area.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
there were two today, so the trickle continues. However, if anyone has concerns about interview scheduling it doesnt hurt to send an in the area.
oh darn, I shoulda popped in randomly and said hi when I went to get my coffee at hole-in-the-wall.
only one more week.
only one more week.
One week from tomorrow
.
Last edited:
Twentythousand could be posting from the other side of the world! Don't be so WashingtonHeightsNYcentric!![]()
We all know NYC is the only place in the world. Everywhere else is a void.
In other news..
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K