You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2012-2013 Columbia University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Had a freaking heart attack when I got that email from Dean Nicholas today about checking our online portal. It really looked like a rejection.
YUP! Omg I totally felt the way say.
Not really expecting good news, but still got the nerves going on. I certainly didn't feel that my interview went well, I probably came off as incoherent and rambling. It's probably too late to do anything about it now.
.
Last edited:
Last year I thought everyone found out by mail a few days after 3/1 and some people also received phone calls on 3/1? Looks like this year they're going to send an email alerting applicants to log into the status page to view the decision. If my hunch is correct, it will be much like Pitt and the email will be sent after the decisions are posted, but it's just to alert you to log in. I think I recall reading on the BU thread that decisions were stated in the body of the email as well as on the status page, but I guess we'll see what route Columbia goes to transmit the news.
I think the decisions were overnight mailed to the students on the day before, and I think some people in NYC received their mail on the 1. Anyone confirm?
It's gonna be like class attendance on exam day. Only 8-10 of us have been posting regularly, but you can bet 40 will be here on the first.
Exactly.
D
deleted127837
Everyone's going to be in for a surprise when they hold off on announcing until March 15th
Havent got an interview invite yet I guess its time to make other plans probably... When is the latest possible interview given?
Interviews were over a while ago. :\
.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
MDPhD decisions are out! I cannot believe it but I've been accepted. A dream come true! Hold on you guys march 1st is right around the corner. I found out by package in the mail, NO email! Although MD only replies may differ.
CONGRATS!!!! That's so awesome! I absolutely cannot wait for decisions day!
MDPhD decisions are out! I cannot believe it but I've been accepted. A dream come true! Hold on you guys march 1st is right around the corner. I found out by package in the mail, NO email! Although MD only replies may differ.
Congrats!!!
I'm surprised that any decisions were out earlier than March 1, but I haven't done research on MD/PhD applications. Congratulations, and I'm sure you deserve it. 🙂
congrats!!!
I'm surprised that any decisions were out earlier than march 1, but i haven't done research on md/phd applications. Congratulations, and i'm sure you deserve it. 🙂
+1
Congrats to AAAA!
I am so scared for Friday!! I really hope it's not only snail mail!
I'd so rather get snail mail than have a heart attack opening up a decision email.
I'd so rather get snail mail than have a heart attack opening up a decision email.
Disagree. I would rather check my email a million times than to wait for the random postal carrier to bring or not bring me the mail. I hate the suspense!!!!
But at least with an email, it's a FAST rip-open. Snail mail....you first have to wait for the mailman, then you have to try to pry open the envelope without ripping the contents, then you have to unfold the letter.... So much suspense.
Actually, I think a "PLEASE CHECK YOUR STATUS ON THE WEBSITE" would be the ultimate worst.
A phone call would be so cool.
Actually, I think a "PLEASE CHECK YOUR STATUS ON THE WEBSITE" would be the ultimate worst.
A phone call would be so cool.
but at least with an email, it's a fast rip-open. Snail mail....you first have to wait for the mailman, then you have to try to pry open the envelope without ripping the contents, then you have to unfold the letter.... So much suspense.
Actually, i think a "please check your status on the website" would be the ultimate worst.
A phone call would be so cool.
+1
But at least with an email, it's a FAST rip-open. Snail mail....you first have to wait for the mailman, then you have to try to pry open the envelope without ripping the contents, then you have to unfold the letter.... So much suspense.
Actually, I think a "PLEASE CHECK YOUR STATUS ON THE WEBSITE" would be the ultimate worst.
A phone call would be so cool.
Only for those who get one.
Congrats!!!
I'm surprised that any decisions were out earlier than March 1, but I haven't done research on MD/PhD applications. Congratulations, and I'm sure you deserve it. 🙂
Yeah last year MD/PhD decisions came out about a week or so before the MD decisions.
Yeah I would rather the email. So much quicker to know the outcome. Like... 5 seconds less of spazzing out. Although, should everything go like last year, just the sight of the letter will tell us the decision. Little envelope = waitlist/rejection, big envelope = acceptance.
Yeah I would rather the email. So much quicker to know the outcome. Like... 5 seconds less of spazzing out. Although, should everything go like last year, just the sight of the letter will tell us the decision. Little envelope = waitlist/rejection, big envelope = acceptance.
yep that's what I meant. Just the sight of the envelope is enough for me.
Havent got an interview invite yet I guess its time to make other plans probably... When is the latest possible interview given?
I called earlier this week and they said they were still offering interview slots...but I don't know how many or any other details. Hope that helps! 🙂
I'm preparing myself for the inevitable waitlisting/rejection, so does anyone know what the watlist movement is like at Columbia?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Accepted MD/PhD. Letter came in the mail (first class). Dated Feb 20th. No updates on online portal page.
Good luck to you MD applicants!
Good luck to you MD applicants!
Accepted MD/PhD. Letter came in the mail (first class). Dated Feb 20th. No updates on online portal page.
Good luck to you MD applicants!
Congrats, dude!
Congrats!!! Go celebrate!!
Sorry if this was asked before, but does Columbia select ~250-300 at first and then proceed onwards to waitlist movement?
As far as I know, a school cannot extend more offers than the number of seats that they have. i.e. if the class is composed of 100 students, no more than 100 offers can be out at any given time per AAMC rules. Its possible that I am misinterpreting the rule, so if anyone has better information please chime in
As far as I know, a school cannot extend more offers than the number of seats that they have. i.e. if the class is composed of 100 students, no more than 100 offers can be out at any given time per AAMC rules. Its possible that I am misinterpreting the rule, so if anyone has better information please chime in
.
Last edited:
There is no such clause - only one saying they have accept at least the incoming class size by March 30.
From the AAMC (https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/recommendations/admissionofficers/):
"4. By March 30 of the matriculation year, March 15 for M.D.-Ph.D. programs, each school or program have issued a number of offers of acceptance at least equal to the expected number of students in its first-year entering class and have reported those acceptance actions to the AAMC Section for Medical School Application Services."
From the AAMC (https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/recommendations/admissionofficers/):
"4. By March 30 of the matriculation year, March 15 for M.D.-Ph.D. programs, each school or program have issued a number of offers of acceptance at least equal to the expected number of students in its first-year entering class and have reported those acceptance actions to the AAMC Section for Medical School Application Services."
There is no such clause - only one saying they have accept at least the incoming class size by March 30.
From the AAMC (https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/recommendations/admissionofficers/):
"4. By March 30 of the matriculation year, March 15 for M.D.-Ph.D. programs, each school or program have issued a number of offers of acceptance at least equal to the expected number of students in its first-year entering class and have reported those acceptance actions to the AAMC Section for Medical School Application Services."
Sorry for the bad info. and thanks for the correction.
In response to Narie: I know that there is absolutely no point in me saying this, but I have a strong hunch I'm going to be waitlisted...
And
And
I don't think anyone is sitting at home thinking that they will be outright accepted, but its gonna happen to the lucky ones. I'm hoping I'm among them.Me too... But better to expect the worst and be pleasantly surprised right? Sigh.
Last edited:
mmmcdowe
Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Sorry if this was asked before, but does Columbia select ~250-300 at first and then proceed onwards to waitlist movement?
I'm preparing myself for the inevitable waitlisting/rejection, so does anyone know what the watlist movement is like at Columbia?
They accept ~200 immediately, of which about 100 will end up attending. The remaining 50ish spots (not counting MD/PhDs) will come off of the waitlist, which typically requires about 100 offers to reach.
They accept ~200 immediately, of which about 100 will end up attending. The remaining 50ish spots (not counting MD/PhDs) will come off of the waitlist, which typically requires about 100 offers to reach.
Happen to know how many are initially on the waitlist?
i believe everyone not accepted is placed on the waitlist
200/~1200 initial acceptances sounds pretty intimidating
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Your updates won't be listed in the application portal. If you go to the communicants section of the status tab, you should see the confirmation emails they sent you saying they added your updates to your secondary.
thank you!
i believe everyone not accepted is placed on the waitlist
200/~1200 initial acceptances sounds pretty intimidating
Seriously?? That's abominable.
Edit: thanks for the info though.
Did they end up interviewing that many people?
Did they end up interviewing that many people?
I think either last year or two years ago they interviewed ~1300...
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
