You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2012-2013 Columbia University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
It's okay. :-/
I've just been thinking that 75% of us are going to be either waitlisted or rejected. That's just the reality of it. I wish you all the best!!
Actually I think they mentioned earlier in the thread that only 200 are accepted outright, so that comes out to almost 85% chance of waitlist/rejecting. Pretty crappy odds 🙄
In any case the more I look on this thread the more I realize how petty Im being. Ive been accepted to several great state schools while there are literally thousands of people hoping for a single acceptance to anywhere. Columbia would be great, but Im going to work my butt off and become a great doc no matter where I end up. Best of luck to any of you hoping for that first acceptance!
Actually I think they mentioned earlier in the thread that only 200 are accepted outright, so that comes out to almost 85% chance of waitlist/rejecting. Pretty crappy odds 🙄
In any case the more I look on this thread the more I realize how petty Im being. Ive been accepted to several great state schools while there are literally thousands of people hoping for a single acceptance to anywhere. Columbia would be great, but Im going to work my butt off and become a great doc no matter where I end up. Best of luck to any of you hoping for that first acceptance!
Totally, totally. Me too. If it's not Columbia, then it's UCSD! woot woot!! I'm still so happy about the day I received my acceptance there, today is really not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. 😀
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Actually I think they mentioned earlier in the thread that only 200 are accepted outright, so that comes out to almost 85% chance of waitlist/rejecting. Pretty crappy odds 🙄
In any case the more I look on this thread the more I realize how petty Im being. Ive been accepted to several great state schools while there are literally thousands of people hoping for a single acceptance to anywhere. Columbia would be great, but Im going to work my butt off and become a great doc no matter where I end up. Best of luck to any of you hoping for that first acceptance!
Well said, futureczar!! Thinking about it positively - state school = less loans to pay off = faster road to success! I don't mind my dad cooking breakfast for me everyday before class and putting a roof over my head for free.
Actually I think they mentioned earlier in the thread that only 200 are accepted outright, so that comes out to almost 85% chance of waitlist/rejecting. Pretty crappy odds 🙄
In any case the more I look on this thread the more I realize how petty Im being. Ive been accepted to several great state schools while there are literally thousands of people hoping for a single acceptance to anywhere. Columbia would be great, but Im going to work my butt off and become a great doc no matter where I end up. Best of luck to any of you hoping for that first acceptance!
I couldn't agree more. We should be grateful for what we have, as difficult as that may be on a day like this. I keep forgetting that...Your words were a nice wake-up call.
D
deleted127837
I couldn't agree more. We should be grateful for what we have, as difficult as that may be on a day like this. I keep forgetting that...Your words were a nice wake-up call.
Actually I think they mentioned earlier in the thread that only 200 are accepted outright, so that comes out to almost 85% chance of waitlist/rejecting. Pretty crappy odds 🙄
In any case the more I look on this thread the more I realize how petty Im being. Ive been accepted to several great state schools while there are literally thousands of people hoping for a single acceptance to anywhere. Columbia would be great, but Im going to work my butt off and become a great doc no matter where I end up. Best of luck to any of you hoping for that first acceptance!
Of course, if you got accepted at Columbia, you'd be opening up a spot at those state schools you've been sitting on for the whole season, letting someone who might otherwise not get to go to medical school the chance to go 🙄
It's okay to want something, guys.
I couldn't agree more. We should be grateful for what we have, as difficult as that may be on a day like this. I keep forgetting that...Your words were a nice wake-up call.
Hear hear! Anyone that hasn't gotten a call by 5 PM today is probably waitlisted (and it looks like calls already stopped going out if the cessation of SDN posts is any indication). At least we made it as far as the interview stage, and now we just need to focus on the positive: we'll still become doctors no matter where we end up.
Today has been super rough and terrible.
And then I saw this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvSKg1sBd1U
And I laughed.
🙂
And then I saw this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvSKg1sBd1U
And I laughed.
🙂
anyone know what decisions are posted on the portal? only acceptances or also waitlists and rejections?
The only people who have received emails so far have been accepted applicants. That's game over, folks. Time to stalk other school forums... oh well.
Waitlist decisions were emailed and uploaded
Weird - I still have nothing. Maybe that means I got rejected outright. Bummer!
weird - i still have nothing. Maybe that means i got rejected outright. Bummer!
+1 🙁
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Weird - I still have nothing. Maybe that means I got rejected outright. Bummer!
no email or update yet. it ain't over til it's over
Weird - I still have nothing. Maybe that means I got rejected outright. Bummer!
+1

Weird - I still have nothing. Maybe that means I got rejected outright. Bummer!
same. oh well
guys guys, the reason we have nothing yet is because they're making our acceptance emails so great its taking longer than the others.
+1 lol
Aghghg. How am I supposed to work if I have to refresh SDN every five seconds?
Outright rejection here -- not even a wait list. Sucks, since I had a pretty fantastic interview and had my hopes up 🙁
Aghghg. How am I supposed to work if I have to refresh SDN every five seconds?
me too.. this whole med school admissions thing has made me crazy. i don't even recognize myself anymore.
Outright rejection here -- not even a wait list. Sucks, since I had a pretty fantastic interview and had my hopes up 🙁
sorry to hear. was it by email or status update? i keep refreshing but i still have nothing. maybe i should check spam
what? how did u find out?Outright rejection here -- not even a wait list. Sucks, since I had a pretty fantastic interview and had my hopes up 🙁
me too.. this whole med school admissions thing has made me crazy. i don't even recognize myself anymore.
girl, I feel the exact same way. totally losing my ****. this whole process is horrible/may cause early graying of the hair...
Last edited:
Aghghg. How am I supposed to work if I have to refresh SDN every five seconds?
I refuse to go into the cell culture room because there is no reception in there. also won't take the elevator. my cells are probably overgrown, and i've had to use the stairs all day THANKS COLUMBIA,
Waitlisted via portal update - I think the email notification is automatic once they upload your decision letter, so stay tuned.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
.
Last edited:
Waitlisted via portal update - I think the email notification is automatic once they upload your decision letter, so stay tuned.
yup, waitlisted.
ACCEPTED via portal!! no phone call from an interviewer that was doing phone calls, extremely surprised and lucky.
Last name E. Just got waitlisted via email and portal update.
This is the happiest I've ever been to be waitlisted lol. Congrats to all who were accepted!
This is the happiest I've ever been to be waitlisted lol. Congrats to all who were accepted!
Finally received it. Waitlist :/ Oh well.
ACCEPTED via portal!! no phone call from an interviewer that was doing phone calls, extremely surprised and lucky.
+1. 😍😍😍
waitlisted.
I'll take a waitlist spot over a rejection any day! Waitlisted via portal update
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
waitlisted as well. that makes three waitlists this past week! med schools, y'all are killing me.
Waitlisted via Portal today as well. Not great, but still a chance. Anyone know about waitlist movement?
Waitlisted! Surprisingly the pain only last for a few seconds
Well according to the last number posted on this tread approximately 600-800 people are waitlisted and ~50 are eventually accepted off the waitlist. So maybe a 6-8% chance?
Heres to hoping that they realized from last year that they dont need nearly that big of a waitlist and decided to cut it down this year

just curious: how many people are waitlisted? is it truly like around 600 as someone mentioned before? b/c that's such a daunting number i may decline it and hedge my bets elsewhere.
I would agree that the number is really just silly in a lot of ways. It's just Columbia keeping as many of their options open as possible. But for real, there's no actions that I see myself taking right now. I guess if we are to be accepted off of the waitlist, there is some thinking to do then, but otherwise, peace-ing out of the madness. 🙂
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K